2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Starting from last this sunday, where will Bottas finish?

• 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd or 3rd

• 4th - 6th

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • 7th - 10th

• 11th or lower

• DNF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Might as well start this up since I ain't created a F1 thread since the start of the season.

However most of the big news heading into this GP weekend has been about the drivers off the track, you have on one hand Bottas announcing he's getting a divorce while on the other Seb's missus has just had his 3rd kid, talk about polar opposites.

And for once I did sort of agree with Hamilton on his assessment on the issues F1 drivers can face with trying to juggle a personal life while focusing on being a F1 driver, though I did sort of laugh when I read him saying:
"But I am struggling to keep my dogs alive and, managing being an uncle at the moment, that's hard as it is, so I've got my hands tied.":LOL:

Oh pull the other one Hamilton, I highly doubt you've had to be the doting uncle over the years and being called upon last minute to do the school run while flying around the globe all year, and as for your dogs surely you would have hired some help to looking after them like any sensible person would do in that position.:rolleyes:
(full article for those interested)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/motorsport/10443738/lewis-hamilton-f1-dogs-alive-valtteri-bottas-split-emilia/

Anyway In some ways I think it would be a pretty damning indictment of the sport should Bottas win the championship next year, as would people point out that him getting a divorce helped him win the championship?o_O

Either way I just don't think that would be the right message to send out to younger drivers or those who aspire to get in to F1, of course I can respect and accept that 'no distractions' are important in racing but equally if F1 is now basically at a stage where you have to put your entire personal life on hold if you 'want to be a F1 champion', I would then have to ask is it really worth it?

I mean I spoken in the past on this forum about the 'brand' Hamilton is building but just looking at things as a matter of fact, Seb - he's now got his 3rd kid and what he has is a legacy to enjoy, share with his family & eventually give to his children in the future. (and who knows maybe we'll see another Vettel on the F1 grid in 2040:sneaky:)
Now I have no doubts that Hamilton will eventually look into starting to have a family of his own after he retires, (which by the sounds of it won't be for another few years) but if for whatever reason he isn't fortunate enough to become a father, then this 'brand' that he has spent lots of time focusing on and building (which he will continue to do so in the future) will essentially become worthless in the end. (ie no one to pass it onto)

Last edited:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Realized half way through qualy that I hadn't done this yet but at least someones on the ball. :p

Looking like a pretty straight forward race should be an easy Hamilton win if he leads at the start of sector 3 on lap 1 then I don't see anyone getting anywhere near him for the rest of the race that Merc is so fast round here and Hamilton has always been quick at Abu Dhabi since his McLaren days.

The fight for 3rd well Max has the advantage the best Leclerc can do is 2nd and 18th points which would mean Verstappen would have to be 6th for Leclerc to beat him and with Bottas starting at the back and Albon being up the front the only way that would happen would be a Verstappen crash or breakdown.

The fight for 6th Sainz has the advantage starting ahead of Gasly and with an 11 point lead over Albon unless Albon gets on the podium it will be difficult to gain that many points.

Hopefully we can have a good race to end the season but this track has a reputation as a bit of a borefest so I don't hold out much hope.

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Quite surprising that was Hamilton's first pole since Germany, but the only chance of a battle for the win will likely require either Mad Max to get ahead at the start or for Hamilton to have a poor start.

But we'll be guaranteed some overtaking early on at least as Bottas has to make his way through the field, hopefully that keep the race interesting for most of it.

In other news Toro Rosso are changing there name for next year to - Alpha Tauri...o_O
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.toro-rossos-name-change-to-alpha-tauri-confirmed-in-provisional-2020-entry.5tIxtPAMsY8MACQAyvg41j.html

Definitely a odd name, I know its basically a new RB brand advertisement but the only thing that came to mind when I first read that, was that they've pretty much stole the name of the nearest star to us: Alpha Centauri - Alpha Tauri just makes RB 's Creative & PR department seem lazy and uninspired.:LOL:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Feels like I'm talking to myself here but as Abu Dhabi races go that was one of the better ones some good fights going on behind the front 3 and it was interesting to see 18 laps without DRS I actually quite liked it.

I was following Sainz quite closely on the timing screen as once again FOM refuse to show him on the broadcast they didn't even show a reply of his last lap overtake not sure why they hate him so much but hopefully McLaren can get slightly closer to the top 3 next season so we might see more of him.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Theres definitely been worse Abu Dhabi GP's then that one, though no drs early on didn't help things.

I think overall there was just enough to keep interest in the race with the last few laps the most interesting to be fair, in a way I could understand the focus on Bottas catching Leclerc but once the final sector they should have really cut to Sainz battling Hulkenberg considering how much they were going on about '6th place in the championship'.

Either way Hamilton had a cake walk, Mad Max did the best he could, Bottas very good drive and as for Ferrari - nearly got Leclerc dsq'd for fuel irregularities and botched up Seb's stop, that race and this:
2019 in a lap.
sort of sums up there season in a nutshell.

The thing is when you watch that lap you would think the solution is easy, stick more downforce on the car!
Yet obviously it ain't that simple, going into next year with regards to the top 3 teams I suspect that there focus off season will be this:
Merc - find more BHP in there engine
Ferrari - find a more rounded chassis & aero
RB - I guess its a bit of both of the above?

As that Honda can't be far of the Merc now if that drag race between Hamilton & Gasly last lap Brazil was anything to go by, but generally hard to pinpoint were RB are lacking compared to Mercedes.

Feels like I'm talking to myself here but as Abu Dhabi races go that was one of the better ones some good fights going on behind the front 3 and it was interesting to see 18 laps without DRS I actually quite liked it.

I was following Sainz quite closely on the timing screen as once again FOM refuse to show him on the broadcast they didn't even show a reply of his last lap overtake not sure why they hate him so much but hopefully McLaren can get slightly closer to the top 3 next season so we might see more of him.
No your not talking to yourself, though I guess most people have gone into the equivalent of F1 winter hibernation after Brazil, with no drs early on I actually found it a bit frustrating as it effected Bottas race and Seb's to a degree.

With Sainz I don't think they hate him they just were focusing on battles higher up even though that focus was wrong, will add that's quite an achievement by Sainz to finish 6th in the championship (regardless of the driver swap at RB), first time since 2014 that a driver from outside the top 3 teams in the constructors has finished in the top 6 of the drivers at the end of the season.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Still don't understand why they always show the leaders everyone knows Hamiltons leading he has been for 54 1/2 laps we don't need to watch him cruising round the last lap when all this is going on behind.

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet