2019 American Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 American Grand Prix

• We are aware of some functionality issues with the forums at present. These are being looked into. Feel free to use the bug reports thread to report any issues you encounter. Thanks! :)

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well this is looking like a slam dunk Mercedes win if practice is anything to go by I still expect a Ferrari on pole when they turn the engine up but Merc are still much better on race pace while doing less damage to the tyres so very hard to beat over a race distance.

Its been very cold in Austin the last few days its was colder over there then it was in England the last 2 days which at this time of year is almost unheard of but it is meant to warm up for qualifying and the race although still colder than usual at about 18 degrees.

As for the championship Hamilton only need 3 points whatever Bottas does so 8th or 9th with fastest lap and even if Hamilton DNF's Bottas has to win not just this race but Brazil and Abu Dhabi as well and that's not gonna happen so Hamilton could not turn up for the last 3 races and he would still be champion.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Good qualifying top 6 mixed up nicely should make for an exciting race.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
After watching qualifying (CBA with practice here although I almost gave P3 a look) the thing I'm taking away is how the fcuk does the promoter or the track owner allow the track to be in such a **** state prior to a race?

It shoud be made mandatory to undertake laser surveys at least 3-6 months before a race to measure any significant track deterioration or (as in this case) subsidence and get it remedied before the race.

There has been heavy rainfall during the race weekend on at least two occasions and I'm sure if that's seasonal / regular then there are problems manifesting that may become even more significant.

Anyway, Bottas.....blah, yawn....Hamilton does enough and gets the crown today. Both top teams are already looking to next year and 2021, I'm sure they can somehow fiddle the books to get resources on task ahead of the budget caps and hit the ground running.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well looking forward to what should be a interesting and hopefully action packed race with that grid, but you have the inevitability thrown in of Hamilton winning the championship at the end.

With Hamilton starting in 5th the only thing he really needs to do is negotiate the first corner without incident, if he does that then he should be home free.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Pretty good race considering it was another Mercedes 1-2 a shame Ferrari were hampered by Vettels terrible start/ damaged car and Leclerc having to use his ancient old spec engine but at least Verstappen kept the Mercs honest.

Now time for something that I mentioned at the start of the season, I've seen a lot of Schumacher vs Hamilton comparisons on twitter in the last few days and as Hamilton now has 248 starts exactly the same as Schumacher had at his first retirement in 2006 it seems like a good time to compare, before I do just to be clear they are both world class and by far the best of their generations and I've got nothing against Lewis and tbh I've actually started to like him more this year out of the car but I grew up as a Ferrari fan watching Schumacher so in my eyes he will always be the best.

Schumacher VS Hamilton at 248 race starts.

Wins: Schumacher 91 - 83 Hamilton
Poles: Schumacher 68 - 87 Hamilton
Podiums: Schumacher 154 - 150 Hamilton
Championships Schumacher 7 - 6 Hamilton

As we can see they are incredibly evenly matched and we should all feel lucky that we got to watch two greats of the sport and one of them still isn't finished yet I just hope we get to see Verstappen and Leclerc in a proper championship fight against Hamilton like we saw with Alonso and Schumacher.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It was a pretty good race to watch and that was despite Ferrari basically having no race pace and Seb having a car issue.

Mad Max was probably the fastest of the 3 at the end but ran out of laps, as for the battle for the win I wasn't particularly to fussed at the time but as soon as Hamilton decided to run Bottas off the track while defending the lead (which I guess he was entitled too), I was quite pleased to see Bottas take the win of him in the end.

With Ferrari races like that currently underlines why there not going to win a driver &/or constructor championship, with Seb obviously didn't have the best of the starts but to have the bad understeer he had early on and then followed by a suspension failure leads me to believe that the suspension was damaged just before the race, then you have Leclerc who had to use a older spec engine, but even so that doesn't mean that the car should be in no mans land and nearly a second a lap slower to the Mercs and Red Bulls.

You only have to look at Merc, and generally when there car isn't on form or having issues they still normally have enough pace to be battling with the 2nd best car and taking a 4th or even a podium, that's what Ferrari need to learn how to do in races like that in 2020 - damage limitation.

Anyway Albon had a good recovery drive and considering the impact at T1 he had with Sainz, I was amazed it didn't cause terminal damage to at least one of their cars, as for the midfield we saw the usual good battles.

Moving on to Hamilton, yeah no arguments once again he deserved the championship this year, with as I said the races from Spain to the summer break making the difference between him and Bottas, as for Bottas he once again disappeared during that phase of the season.

He kept Hamilton honest first 4 races, but it was only after the return from the summer break that he returned somewhat to that form, but the trouble is it was too little to late.
Its the biggest thing he needs to learn and work on overcoming, if he's to beat Hamilton in the same team with a car capable of winning the championship you have to perform at the highest level almost every race to beat Hamilton to a championship over a season, it took Rosberg 2 years to learn and fully understand that lesson and when he did he got the job done a year later, Bottas is coming towards the end of his 3rd year now and I think next year for him will be a case of now or never.

Lastly @iJokeri22 its irrelevant, Fangio is better then the pair of them.;)

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Hamilton has had a couple of years without a competitive, 2009, 2011 12 and 13. Schumi always had a title winning car

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Hamilton has had a couple of years without a competitive, 2009, 2011 12 and 13. Schumi always had a title winning car
Not sure if trolling or trolling I recommend watching 1996-1999 and then tell me those were title winning cars. :)

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Not sure if trolling or trolling I recommend watching 1996-1999 and then tell me those were title winning cars. :)
Common Joker we all know LC likes to get carried away sometimes.;):LOL:

Since Monday I've seen a lot of crap spouted by media and fans of Hamilton & Schumacher, though probably the most insane claim I've seen & read was, Hamilton apparently should have 12 WDC's!o_O:ROFLMAO:

Yeah of course if circumstances worked out to a perfect world for Hamilton he could have had more WDC's but the same applies to Schumacher, Fangio, Seb, Senna, Clark etc.

Will add I'm actually surprised how quiet its been on here, was expecting some sort of comment from @Steve Jackson & maybe @Erti147 - even if it was a standard 'Hamilton 6x champion HAHAHAHA' from him.:p

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Common Joker we all know LC likes to get carried away sometimes.;):LOL:

Since Monday I've seen a lot of crap spouted by media and fans of Hamilton & Schumacher, though probably the most insane claim I've seen & read was, Hamilton apparently should have 12 WDC's!o_O:ROFLMAO:

Yeah of course if circumstances worked out to a perfect world for Hamilton he could have had more WDC's but the same applies to Schumacher, Fangio, Seb, Senna, Clark etc.

Will add I'm actually surprised how quiet its been on here, was expecting some sort of comment from @Steve Jackson & maybe @Erti147 - even if it was a standard 'Hamilton 6x champion HAHAHAHA' from him.:p
As I keep telling you, I'm not a Hamilton fanboi. Hardly a surprise from the position he built. We have a 6 time World Champion who will most likely go for number 7 next season. I feel the 8th may be from another stable....

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
6 times is unreal, yeah coulda been more but if he wins 07 for example then maybe 08 doesn't happen. Coulda had 12 but car kept breaking and maybe if it didn't he could win but then he wouldn't have left for merc and 16 well let's no talk bout that lol

Am glad another year of stress is over Haha

One of best British sportsman ever better get knighted finally or there'll be a lot of folk kicking off

Reactions: iJokeri22

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
6 times is unreal, yeah coulda been more but if he wins 07 for example then maybe 08 doesn't happen. Coulda had 12 but car kept breaking and maybe if it didn't he could win but then he wouldn't have left for merc and 16 well let's no talk bout that lol
Yeah that's very true if Hamilton did win a WDC in a different year then it has the potential to change future championships and in some cases cause a butterfly effect, and probably in the grand scheme of things Singapore GP weekend 2012 is the most important moment in Hamilton's F1 career.

It was only because of the mechanical failure Hamilton had during that race that it led to him signing with Mercedes after that race, make no mistake if that year had gone much smoother for him and McLaren then while he may have won the WDC that year, theres no doubts he then re-signs with McLaren for another 3 years at least with a knock on effect that's theres no guarantee Hamilton would still end up at Merc afterwards.

Thinking about it, I'd be really curious to see how that F1 world would be playing out if that scenario above happened.:unsure:

Am glad another year of stress is over Haha

One of best British sportsman ever better get knighted finally or there'll be a lot of folk kicking off
'Another year of stress':LOL: oh come on Erti Hamilton had this won since the summer break pretty much, it was never in doubt and it has been his easiest championship since 2015.

As for him getting knighted he needs to get 8 first.;)
Besides why the rush while he's still in F1? It'll/should happen after he retires not before in my opinion, as that's the right time for it to happen.

As I keep telling you, I'm not a Hamilton fanboi. Hardly a surprise from the position he built. We have a 6 time World Champion who will most likely go for number 7 next season. I feel the 8th may be from another stable....
Lastly playing devils advocate Erti, LC & Steve (and any Hamilton fans that read this), if I offered you the choice of either:

Hamilton winning the WDC next year but then winning no more from 2021 onwards to the end of his F1 career.

or

Hamilton not winning the WDC 2020, but having the chance to win 8 by the end of his F1 career. (only potentially could end up still on 6)

Which would you choose?
(please play this below when contemplating your decision;))

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
As for him getting knighted he needs to get 8 first.;)
Besides why the rush while he's still in F1? It'll/should happen after he retires not before in my opinion, as that's the right time for it to happen.
Seen folk say that but then also highlight the fact Murray and Farah are still active and got knighted, and arguably Hamilton's achievements are bigger

Hamilton winning the WDC next year but then winning no more from 2021 onwards to the end of his F1 career.

or

Hamilton not winning the WDC 2020, but having the chance to win 8 by the end of his F1 career. (only potentially could end up still on 6)

Which would you choose?
(please play this below when contemplating your decision;))
first option cos another title win would likely mean getting past 91 wins and officially make him most successful ever
as much as I'd like to go outright on 8

• Informative
Reactions: Wobbuffet

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
It feels like F1 is becoming more of a niche sport since its been exclusively on sky so that might play against Hamilton getting a knighthood I mean if you went up to a random person in the street in the early 90s and said Nigel Mansell they would probably know who he is but if you do the same with Hamilton now I feel like a lot of people wouldn't even know him hopefully he does get knighted cause its deserved, imagine if a football player won 6 world cups they would definitely get knighted.

• Winner
Reactions: Steve Jackson

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
It feels like F1 is becoming more of a niche sport since its been exclusively on sky so that might play against Hamilton getting a knighthood I mean if you went up to a random person in the street in the early 90s and said Nigel Mansell they would probably know who he is but if you do the same with Hamilton now I feel like a lot of people wouldn't even know him hopefully he does get knighted cause its deserved, imagine if a football player won 6 world cups they would definitely get knighted.
Yeah it used to be for the masses, now it's for the classes.

And @Wobbuffet I won't play the game. I just try to look forward to 2020 and may the best package win.

Last edited:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
And @Wobbuffet I won't play the game. I just try to look forward to 2020 and may the best package win.
Ok then let me ask you a different question then:
Would you prefer Merc to focus on their 2020 car all season?
or
Put all their focus into designing and getting a head start for the 2021 regs early during 2020?
(and no you can't have both;))

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
or
Put all their focus into designing and getting a head start for the 2021 regs early during 2020?
Merc and Ferrari and Red Bull will all do both though as spending is still unlimited in 2020 so they will all be spending as much as possible to maintain their positions at the front of the field.
The best chance of getting another team up front is if they do a Honda and ignore 2020 entirely I would say that Renault should do that but they cant really afford a year at the back its almost a no brainer for Williams though.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
or
Let's be truthful. Merc can't afford to not prioritise the 2020 car equally or Leclerc could be champion.

Good enough for you?

• Informative
Reactions: Wobbuffet