2019 Brazilian Grand Prix. | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 Brazilian Grand Prix.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Almost at the end of the season now just a classic and a borefest still to go.

Ferrari look to be back on form which makes Verstappens comments after the last race look even more childish and pathetic then they already did it was pretty obvious why they were slow as I said in the last race thread.

I'm expecting a Ferrari 1-2 in qualy before Leclerc takes his penalty and starts 11th which would leave Vettel fighting both Mercedes and we all know how a 2 vs 1 situation will end so the best chance of avoiding a Merc 1-2 is if Verstappen gets involved in the fight as well.

HaiCo

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 10, 2018
Knowing everyone ran 'friday engines', it's difficult to conclude anything really. The two images below were published by F1:

image1234567890.jpg

image1234567809.jpg

(source: click here)

Let's discuss the images above after quali again and after the race.

We can't discuss the engines and the possibility of Ferrari 'being back on form' until after the race either.
I personally don't have an opinion on what Verstappen said, drivers in general aren't the smartest bunch. Plus, everything said right after a race is mostly the adrenalin speaking anyways. I try to avoid most of the interviews during a race weekend. If Ferrari is now quick again, the Ferrari drivers will be saying "look how fast we are, we didn't cheat". If Ferrari is not quick again, you'll hear Verstappen say "look how slow they were", just this time not in a blunt way.

Ferrari fans will use whatever result they can use to their advantage. Just like Red Bull fans will be doing the very same thing.
Very predictable and kind of lame, if you ask me.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well after that qualy result we're set up for a very interesting and hopefully exciting race, potentially looking at a Mad Max, Seb & Hamilton battle for the win, but I think strategy could be the defining point of this race as while the start will be crucial like always, its afterwards I'm going to be more interested in mainly keeping an eye on the gap from the leaders to Leclerc.

Leclerc has got a bit of work to do from 14th but the fact he's starting on the Medium means with the right gap to them he could interfere with the leaders ie: Mad Max & the Merc's if he's within there pit window when they have to stop earlier on the softs.
Of course that's providing he gets through the midfield pack and upto 6th, but I imagine Leclerc needs to get that done within 10 laps if he doesn't he might be to far behind.

If Leclerc does stay in the pit window, then Ferrari can play the team game and depending on Seb's position and how close it is at the front they can pit Seb for a undercut regardless knowing full well that they can ask Leclerc to let Seb by.
Either way then Mad Max and the Merc's will be forced to either extend there opening stint more then they want or will have to bite the bullet and hope they can get pass Leclerc (who has a fresh new engine and can run a higher mode for the straights).
Which may make extending and hoping to catch a lucky timed VSC/SC there only option. (I suspect if this Leclerc scenario plays out Merc will split there strategies, RB as well if Albon is in the hunt)

The other thing I'm interested in is Ferrari's race pace, I think its well known now that since the summer break there car is normally better for qualy then the race but they were shocking at the USGP last time out, if for whatever reason Ferrari are struggling pace wise again then it'll probably raise more eyebrows.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
What a highly entertaining race, plenty of battles from front to back with strategy was looking like proving to be the key, it was a good race and then with the surprise SC decision that lit the touch paper for all hell to brake loose and elevate it to another level.

Mad Max put on a clinic today and deserved his win, Hamilton clearly weren't happy with his team and with Seb and Leclerc's contact, yeah Seb probably should have held his line but he was being aggressive just like other drivers were in that race, plus it wasn't like Seb shot left straight across Leclerc, it was gradual and the contact between them was minimal wheel to wheel, so for both cars to have such massive tyre failures in the aftermath is ridiculous.

As we've all seen plenty of wheel to wheel contact throughout the season with even some big contact on occasions and majority of the time nothing bad happens, but for whatever reason this minimal contact between Seb and Leclerc was disastrous, once again any contact Seb has - it seems to always bite him in the arse regardless these days.

But that caused a unbelievable final few laps, which saw Mercedes suprisingly pitting Hamilton from 2nd down to 4th, then Hamilton punting poor old Albon and costing him a podium and then we saw the laughable finish where the Toro Rosso of Gasly outdragged Hamilton's Merc to the line for 2nd.o_O

However it would have been irrelevant as Hamilton got a pen and that promoted Sainz to get a unbelievable maiden podium - from 20th! That has to be one of the drives of the season.

So overall despite the Ferrari contact, something excellent came out of it and because of that I'm very happy with how the race finished.

How MANY times does Spinbastian have to take out his team mate before you sack him?

Embarassing.

We've been treated to a highly entertaining race with plenty of talking points, yet you only want to talk about Seb...:rolleyes:
Also Seb didn't spin:p so illegal use of 'Spinbastian':

(To be fair that vid could also be applied to describe both Ferrari cars having paper mache like qualities after minimal contact.)

Anyway I'm guessing you don't agree with the stewards postrace assessment of it 'racing incident, NFA'.;)

Last edited:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
What a highly entertaining race, plenty of battles from front to back with strategy was looking like proving to be the key, it was a good race and then with the surprise SC decision that lit the touch paper for all hell to brake loose and elevate it to another level.

Mad Max put on a clinic today and deserved his win, Hamilton clearly weren't happy with his team and with Seb and Leclerc's contact, yeah Seb probably should have held his line but he was being aggressive just like other drivers were in that race, plus it wasn't like Seb shot left straight across Leclerc, it was gradual and the contact between them was minimal wheel to wheel, so for both cars to have such massive tyre failures in the aftermath is ridiculous.

As we've all seen plenty of wheel to wheel contact throughout the season with even some big contact on occasions and majority of the time nothing bad happens, but for whatever reason this minimal contact between Seb and Leclerc was disastrous, once again any contact Seb has - it seems to always bite him in the arse regardless these days.

But that caused a unbelievable final few laps, which saw Mercedes suprisingly pitting Hamilton from 2nd down to 4th, then Hamilton punting poor old Albon and costing him a podium and then we saw the laughable finish where the Toro Rosso of Gasly outdragged Hamilton's Merc to the line for 2nd.o_O

However it would have been irrelevant as Hamilton got a pen and that promoted Sainz to get a unbelievable maiden podium - from 20th! That has to be one of the drives of the season.

So overall despite the Ferrari contact, something excellent came out of it and because of that I'm very happy with how the race finished.

We've been treated to a highly entertaining race with plenty of talking points, yet you only want to talk about Seb...:rolleyes:
Also Seb didn't spin:p so illegal use of 'Spinbastian':

(To be fair that vid could also be applied to describe both Ferrari cars having paper mache like qualities after minimal contact.)

Anyway I'm guessing you don't agree with the stewards postrace assessment of it 'racing incident, NFA'.;)
I agreed with Martin Brundle, Albon left the door open. If there was a racing incident, then it was the Hamilton / Albon incident. But stupidly, Hamilton talked himself into a penalty (like Mad Max at Mexico).

Clearly, Vettel was at fault for the Ferraris colliding. Such a massive ego, how long can they excuse him? Can't find a way to win for them, he's busted.

75075673_2739591099431166_1090455242555785216_o.jpg

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I agreed with Martin Brundle, Albon left the door open. If there was a racing incident, then it was the Hamilton / Albon incident. But stupidly, Hamilton talked himself into a penalty (like Mad Max at Mexico).

Clearly, Vettel was at fault for the Ferraris colliding. Such a massive ego, how long can they excuse him? Can't find a way to win for them, he's busted.
As soon as Hamilton said it was his fault then yeah it was a slam dunk easy decision for the stewards, even if you could argue why it wasn't but I don't think he was too fussed after finishing 3rd.

Yeah he's that busted he can still win races and get poles, sure Seb's had a poor season overall but Leclerc's the one with the bigger ego it seems like always whining & moaning like f*ck in races these days when things don't go his way, at least Seb has outbursts when he's unhappy.:p

Anyway I thought you would be doing somersaults at McLaren getting there first podium in over 5 years, for someone who says there a McLaren fan I find it strange you've not mentioned anything about that or Sainz's drive - or is it because it wasn't Norris who got that first McLaren podium?:unsure:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
As soon as Hamilton said it was his fault then yeah it was a slam dunk easy decision for the stewards, even if you could argue why it wasn't but I don't think he was too fussed after finishing 3rd.

Yeah he's that busted he can still win races and get poles, sure Seb's had a poor season overall but Leclerc's the one with the bigger ego it seems like always whining & moaning like f*ck in races these days when things don't go his way, at least Seb has outbursts when he's unhappy.:p

Anyway I thought you would be doing somersaults at McLaren getting there first podium in over 5 years, for someone who says there a McLaren fan I find it strange you've not mentioned anything about that or Sainz's drive - or is it because it wasn't Norris who got that first McLaren podium?:unsure:
It's inherited, they weren't podium performance. Without the SC they were nowhere.

Sainz wasn't my choice of driver but he's solid. Lando has had a frustrating season, but it's his first and a learning curve. If he had outpointed Ricciardo by the season end, it would have been viewed a success.

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

HaiCo

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 10, 2018
The images uploaded by F1 were pretty accurate after all. Ferrari not living up to the expectations (ignoring the fact they crashed into eachother), they were clearly not gonna battle for the win. In qualifying they were close, but with Mercedes being on their level I don't think that's too positive either (knowing they used to win qualifying by half a second sometimes).

Mercedes did most right, until they didn't let Hamilton pit under the first safety car, in my opinion. Red Bull had the clear advantage during the race, but only because the circuit is at height (much like Mexico).

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It's inherited, they weren't podium performance. Without the SC they were nowhere.

Sainz wasn't my choice of driver but he's solid. Lando has had a frustrating season, but it's his first and a learning curve. If he had outpointed Ricciardo by the season end, it would have been viewed a success.
Still think Sainz deserves a lot of credit for that drive though he did one stop after all and then fended of all those behind him on fresher tyres, sure things fell his way with what happened at the front but starting last in a midfield car to get 3rd is still a great achievement.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Still think Sainz deserves a lot of credit for that drive though he did one stop after all and then fended of all those behind him on fresher tyres, sure things fell his way with what happened at the front but starting last in a midfield car to get 3rd is still a great achievement.
It's been a funny season. One minute they're clearly best of the rest (but never in that upper eschelon) and then the next they're nowhere. Wouldn't call it a midfield car, but to turn it around from last year where they clearly were a midfield car (behind Renault and Haas) is a step in the right direction.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It's been a funny season. One minute they're clearly best of the rest (but never in that upper eschelon) and then the next they're nowhere. Wouldn't call it a midfield car, but to turn it around from last year where they clearly were a midfield car (behind Renault and Haas) is a step in the right direction.
I think McLaren and all the teams for that matter have a big decision to make heading into next year do you go for a barely revised 2019 car for 2020 (and take a lot of pain for that season) pouring majority of your resources into trying to get the jump on your rivals for the 2021 regs or still put a focus on 2020?

If your McLaren or Renault then I would take that pain for one season or any of the current non top 3 for that matter as your not likely to make enough inroads into Merc, Ferrari & RB during the winter.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I think McLaren and all the teams for that matter have a big decision to make heading into next year do you go for a barely revised 2019 car for 2020 (and take a lot of pain for that season) pouring majority of your resources into trying to get the jump on your rivals for the 2021 regs or still put a focus on 2020?

If your McLaren or Renault then I would take that pain for one season or any of the current non top 3 for that matter as your not likely to make enough inroads into Merc, Ferrari & RB during the winter.
I think only the top 3 teams have the luxury of diverting funds 50/50. All the other teams have to try for 4th place and then hope the budget cap and the new regs work out for them. They're already committed to their existing drivers and sponsors who will demand performance meets expectation.

You won't attract a driver in 2021 unless they're new and moneyed if you are down the bottom, just ask Claire Williams.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
With the announced 2021 regs have the FIA given full technical information about the cars, you know front & rear wing, car dimensions/designs etc, ie: a team could design and show a 2021 car right now and it would be legal and ready for use for 2021, or is there still rules about the 2021 regs to be stated later?

Last edited:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
With the announced 2021 regs have the FIA given full technical information about the cars, you know front & rear wing, car dimensions/designs etc, ie: a team could design and show a 2021 car right now and it would be legal and ready for use for 2021) or is there still rules about the 2021 regs to be stated later?
I believe as the regualtions were passed by the World Motorsport Council they are finalised. There would be nothing to be gained by any of the teams releasing their interpretations of those regulations ahead of Winter Testing in 2021.

But results gained from development of the 2020 cars may have some translation to that concept. Depends where teams are with confirmation of engine suppliers and the like. A lot of parts will be standardised also. Cars are likely to be slower and I think the path to regaining that lost performance will be much more difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: Wobbuffet