2019 British Grand Prix

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Here we go then.

Hamilton did seem to have 100000 of the 141000 that attended hero worshipping him. But perhaps they are the only 100000 in the country.

We appreciated Lewis’ lap 4(ish) overtake at Luffield but equally the great retake by Valtteri at Copse was appreciated on the replay. We were sitting at Woodcote and saw the first part (great cheering)

We also enjoyed the close Ferrari and Red Bull battling. Sadly ended by the unfortunate misjudgement by Seb. But that at least gave post race opinion fodder.

Hard to have a balanced commentry team in the UK for motorsport as per the cricket unless you have about 15 nationalities in the commentary box.

Great long weekend at the campsite and track with @Steve Jackson and @acerees

As a reminder of the very poor Haas weekend, here is Romains signature written large on the pit lane exit.

F0D417EC-0D71-4300-9FF6-89432D5AE09C.jpeg

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Don’t want to burst your bubble but Hamilton was hero worshipped at Silverstone, Vettel got muted applause at best and loudly booed at the height of misfortune (being as “fair” as I can be) after the ironic cheering had died down.
lol Steve that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I mean I know full well over the last several years that Hamilton has really strong support at the British GP (especially since the hybrid era) and I don't have any real issue with this or his fans. (as such)

I will make this crystal clear though I wouldn't expect any fan to not cheer on the driver they support, however I don't expect paid professionals on TV (be it UK or the world) to be focusing on one particular person and making there bias obvious for that individual.

I think in F1 terms Sky and Channel 4 were pretty guilty of extreme bias for Hamilton this weekend, of course his fans are/were probably very happy with this media representation, but they forget that a lot of people who watch those said channels in the UK support many different drivers, F1 tv coverage by different channels should be about catering for all rather then focusing on the fans of one driver and thats what I and many others take exception too.

Hard to have a balanced commentry team in the UK for motorsport as per the cricket unless you have about 15 nationalities in the commentary box.
And this is the point why I raised the cricket commentary as an example, yeah they had a lot of different nationalities in the comms box, but the thing is at least overall it was balanced for all the viewers, not just for England fans and I respected that a lot as ultimately theres not just England fans that were watching, you likely had New Zealanders, Indians and many different people of many nationalities watching the UK coverage, yet the broadcasters were prepared for every eventually of whoever contested the final - which is the fairest way to do it.

Its one of the main points I'm making, if you try to make things to one sided that's when any neutrals also get annoyed.

And its something in F1 coverage that Sky and Channel 4 have to learn, to cater better for all fans not mainly just one driver and his fans, otherwise that's what turns everyone else to really dislike the one driver they focus on.
Obviously I will add unlike the Cricket comms, its not realistic to have 10 plus people commentating in rotation on F1, however I don't think its to much to ask to have 2 neutral individuals calling a race.

Lastly something else I will raise with you Steve is that I don't think is right to an extent is to really question why I support Seb or when someone else has said there a Vettel fan and you've done it a couple times. (with me and a dutch guy that use to post here)
I sort of had to shake me head when you more or less said to that dutch guy a year or so ago 'you must be smoking some good sh*t' because he supported Seb instead of Mad Max.

Look I get it you don't like Seb or probably rate him to an extent as that's your opinion, but on flipside whenever someone tells me they support Hamilton/Mad Max etc regardless of there own nationality, I think ok fair enough and when/if they tell why they support them thats cool, (barring one exception which I'll go into in a bit)
But even if someone were to tell me they support Stroll/Grosjean/Kvyat or any other supposed lesser supported driver, I don't lambast them and say you must be mad as its there own personal choice, theres no real need for me or anyone else to call them out on it and be incredulous about it, just respect there choice and leave them to it.

Unless (going into the one exception now) the primary factor in them supporting a driver in the first place was the drivers nationality, ok look we've been through this dance enough times Steve and I've already explained my thoughts on this a few times in these threads in the past which you and many others know full well.

So I will take this into a new direction and give you a scenario: (not just for Steve, but everyone can play along if they wish:))

Your watching TV and flicking through the channels when you happen to come across a single seater formula series race (lets say F3/F4), its only just started theres a lot of action and it looks entertaining so you decide to watch it.

(However you notice early on there is no timing/scoring graphics, the drivers in the cars have similar helmets which offer no reference at all towards there potential nationality, the side of the cars don't have names or flags either, the cars themselves do have different liveries but same sponsors and the sole commentator doesn't name any of the drivers instead simply calling out the driver's car number during the race and how many laps to go.)

As you watch the race you see one of the drivers making there way rapidly through the field with some incredible overtaking moves, with a couple laps to go that driver catches up to the leader and a hard but fair battle takes place between the two, with the driver who made his way through the field pulling off a stunning move to take victory in the final lap.

Now heres my question (Steve), would you start cheering for that driver during that race as they made there way through the field and in turn decide to become a fan of theres (even if its only just for that 1 race), or would you not cheer them on because you don't know who the driver is?

(while you consider your answer feel free to play this classic bit of quiz music, and no I won't accept your answer in the form of a question.;))

Last edited:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
lol Steve that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I mean I know full well over the last several years that Hamilton has really strong support at the British GP (especially since the hybrid era) and I don't have any real issue with this or his fans. (as such)

I will make this crystal clear though I wouldn't expect any fan to not cheer on the driver they support, however I don't expect paid professionals on TV (be it UK or the world) to be focusing on one particular person and making there bias obvious for that individual.

I think in F1 terms Sky and Channel 4 were pretty guilty of extreme bias for Hamilton this weekend, of course his fans are/were probably very happy with this media representation, but they forget that a lot of people who watch those said channels in the UK support many different drivers, F1 tv coverage by different channels should be about catering for all rather then focusing on the fans of one driver and thats what I and many others take exception too.

And this is the point why I raised the cricket commentary as an example, yeah they had a lot of different nationalities in the comms box, but the thing is at least overall it was balanced for all the viewers, not just for England fans and I respected that a lot as ultimately theres not just England fans that were watching, you likely had New Zealanders, Indians and many different people of many nationalities watching the UK coverage, yet the broadcasters were prepared for every eventually of whoever contested the final - which is the fairest way to do it.

Its one of the main points I'm making, if you try to make things to one sided that's when any neutrals also get annoyed.

And its something in F1 coverage that Sky and Channel 4 have to learn, to cater better for all fans not mainly just one driver and his fans, otherwise that's what turns everyone else to really dislike the one driver they focus on.
Obviously I will add unlike the Cricket comms, its not realistic to have 10 plus people commentating in rotation on F1, however I don't think its to much to ask to have 2 neutral individuals calling a race.

Lastly something else I will raise with you Steve is that I don't think is right to an extent is to really question why I support Seb or when someone else has said there a Vettel fan and you've done it a couple times. (with me and a dutch guy that use to post here)
I sort of had to shake me head when you more or less said to that dutch guy a year or so ago 'you must be smoking some good sh*t' because he supported Seb instead of Mad Max.

Look I get it you don't like Seb or probably rate him to an extent as that's your opinion, but on flipside whenever someone tells me they support Hamilton/Mad Max etc regardless of there own nationality, I think ok fair enough and when/if they tell why they support them thats cool, (barring one exception which I'll go into in a bit)
But even if someone were to tell me they support Stroll/Grosjean/Kvyat or any other supposed lesser supported driver, I don't lambast them and say you must be mad as its there own personal choice, theres no real need for me or anyone else to call them out on it and be incredulous about it, just respect there choice and leave them to it.

Unless (going into the one exception now) the primary factor in them supporting a driver in the first place was the drivers nationality, ok look we've been through this dance enough times Steve and I've already explained my thoughts on this a few times in these threads in the past which you and many others know full well.

So I will take this into a new direction and give you a scenario: (not just for Steve, but everyone can play along if they wish:))

Your watching TV and flicking through the channels when you happen to come across a single seater formula series race (lets say F3/F4), its only just started theres a lot of action and it looks entertaining so you decide to watch it.

(However you notice early on there is no timing/scoring graphics, the drivers in the cars have similar helmets which offer no reference at all towards there potential nationality, the side of the cars don't have names or flags either, the cars themselves do have different liveries but same sponsors and the sole commentator doesn't name any of the drivers instead simply calling out the driver's car number during the race and how many laps to go.)

As you watch the race you see one of the drivers making there way rapidly through the field with some incredible overtaking moves, with a couple laps to go that driver catches up to the leader and a hard but fair battle takes place between the two, with the driver who made his way through the field pulling off a stunning move to take victory in the final lap.

Now heres my question (Steve), would you start cheering for that driver during that race as they made there way through the field and in turn decide to become a fan of theres (even if its only just for that 1 race), or would you not cheer them on because you don't know who the driver is?

(while you consider your answer feel free to play this classic bit of quiz music, and no I won't accept your answer in the form of a question.;))
I follow Luca Ghiotto in F2 and the Prema team are fairly dominant in F3, so I don't have a preference (they aren't afraid of taking each other off). Why? Because they like to race.

Vettel has been a windbag for several seasons now. Hamilton has been building his tally.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I follow Luca Ghiotto in F2 and the Prema team are fairly dominant in F3, so I don't have a preference (they aren't afraid of taking each other off). Why? Because they like to race.
Fair enough.

Vettel has been a windbag for several seasons now. Hamilton has been building his tally.
What does that have to do with anything? (Other then you having another standard dig at Seb)

You've totally ignored the real issues I pointed out, with the clear bias majority of fans have to put up with in the UK and your ridiculous questioning of people on the site supporting certain drivers.

As for Hamilton and his 'tally' Steve let me ask you this, after Schumacher originally retired after 2006 - at that time did you consider him to be the 'Greatest Of All Time' in F1?

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Fair enough.

What does that have to do with anything? (Other then you having another standard dig at Seb)

You've totally ignored the real issues I pointed out, with the clear bias majority of fans have to put up with in the UK and your ridiculous questioning of people on the site supporting certain drivers.

As for Hamilton and his 'tally' Steve let me ask you this, after Schumacher originally retired after 2006 - at that time did you consider him to be the 'Greatest Of All Time' in F1?
Gone on record loads of times to state that I respect Schumacher's achievement in the sport, but I don't think he's very sporting. Schumacher is Vettel's idol, 'nuff said.

Both OK when they are winning, not so pretty when they are not.

People can follow who they like, but when in this country we have a, and let's face it, six-time World Champion to support; who is a great racer and sometimes pulls off some awesome one-lap stuff in qualifying is why all the hate? He's not perfect, and a product of the current age (God I sound old, but it's the truth) but to prefer Seb as an alternative when he doesn't race well (or seemingly when he's told not to, he feels racy and then crashes with people), cracks under pressure and throws tantrums like a small child, then yeah I don't get it.

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
It's like all the glory hunters chose to support manu (even tho they live nowhere near Manchester) cos they use to win everything and now they realise there **** they look foolish cos they can't brag about there fake team winning. Still supporting another team from another city or town to your own is not as bad as supporting a kraut over a English man

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Gone on record loads of times to state that I respect Schumacher's achievement in the sport, but I don't think he's very sporting.
Still didn't answer the G.O.A.T question about Schumacher, however I think discussions about G.O.A.T's is a moot point when it comes to F1, regardless of whether Hamilton does go on to beat Schumacher's records he can't be called the G.O.A.T either, simply because there is no definitive end to F1 as a sport.

As the saying goes records are made to be broken and with the way Liberty are looking to continue to expand the sport, it wouldn't surprise me if in 10 - 20 years time if a standard F1 season is 25 races and when no doubt another future great driver comes along and happens to be in the right car at the right time for a sustained period they will topple the records of those before them.

As for 'sporting' ultimately what does it matter is this day and age of professional sport? When winning is the be all and end all. (unfortunately)
It makes me think of football where apparently some fans believe there's a right way to play the game where that method deserves to win regardless of how effective it actually is against there opponents, take the African Nations final yesterday where Senegal dominated had over 60% possession and plenty of shots but lost to Algeria who only had 1 shot in the game - did they deserve to win probably not, but they won and that's all that matters.
And that's the point when it comes to any professional sport for the people and money involved the idea that's theres a 'right way to win' is laughable.

People can follow who they like, but when in this country we have a, and let's face it, six-time World Champion to support; who is a great racer and sometimes pulls off some awesome one-lap stuff in qualifying is why all the hate? He's not perfect, and a product of the current age (God I sound old, but it's the truth) but to prefer Seb as an alternative when he doesn't race well (or seemingly when he's told not to, he feels racy and then crashes with people), cracks under pressure and throws tantrums like a small child, then yeah I don't get it.
Look you don't have to get it why people support Seb but equally I don't think you should be giving them the 3rd degree as I said before in this thread just leave them (and me) to it.
As for Hamilton I mean what do you want/expect F1 fans of other drivers to do - just start supporting him?!:ROFLMAO:

That would be ridiculous it would be like a football fan switching allegiance from Liverpool to Man United sure other fans can respect him for what he's doing, but theres to much water under the bridge for majority of F1 fans with some of the sh*t Hamilton's done over the years.
And yeah Seb's not perfect but he's far more likable as a person and actually has a personality unlike mr 'your the best fans ever' standard spiel.

Besides he's never lied to stewards, tweeted team sensitive data, potentially suggesting his own team was sabotaging his car and made his own pitwall look like mugs over the radio, add the continous Hamilton bias across the F1 media non-Hamilton fans have had to put up with over the years, all that should give you a clue Steve as to 'why all the hate?'. (I say that as someone who despises him off the track but not on it)

It's like all the glory hunters chose to support manu (even tho they live nowhere near Manchester) cos they use to win everything and now they realise there **** they look foolish cos they can't brag about there fake team winning.
I can agree with that sentiment LC, I mean I started to support Seb after DC retired (2008) and once Seb retires in the future at some point I will obviously start supporting another driver - however I won't be supporting Mad Max or Leclerc for that matter as they will have been around for a few years by then and that would be like jumping on the bandwagon at the point.
Still supporting another team from another city or town to your own is not as bad as supporting a kraut over a English man
Rather support a German instead of a Englishman (when it suits him) who is a cúnt.;)
(oh by the way LC the war ended nearly 75 years ago - time to move on)

Last edited:

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Still didn't answer the G.O.A.T question about Schumacher, however I think discussions about G.O.A.T's is a moot point when it comes to F1, regardless of whether Hamilton does go on to beat Schumacher's records he can't be called the G.O.A.T either, simply because there is no definitive end to F1 as a sport.

As the saying goes records are made to be broken and with the way Liberty are looking to continue to expand the sport, it wouldn't surprise me if in 10 - 20 years time if a standard F1 season is 25 races and when no doubt another future great driver comes along and happens to be in the right car at the right time for a sustained period they will topple the records of those before them.

As for 'sporting' ultimately what does it matter is this day and age of professional sport? When winning is the be all and end all. (unfortunately)
It makes me think of football where apparently some fans believe there's a right way to play the game where that method deserves to win regardless of how effective it actually is against there opponents, take the African Nations final yesterday where Senegal dominated had over 60% possession and plenty of shots but lost to Algeria who only had 1 shot in the game - did they deserve to win probably not, but they won and that's all that matters.
And that's the point when it comes to any professional sport for the people and money involved the idea that's theres a 'right way to win' is laughable.

Look you don't have to get it why people support Seb but equally I don't think you should be giving them the 3rd degree as I said before in this thread just leave them (and me) to it.
As for Hamilton I mean what do you want/expect F1 fans of other drivers to do - just start supporting him?!:ROFLMAO:

That would be ridiculous it would be like a football fan switching allegiance from Liverpool to Man United sure other fans can respect him for what he's doing, but theres to much water under the bridge for majority of F1 fans with some of the sh*t Hamilton's done over the years.
And yeah Seb's not perfect but he's far more likable as a person and actually has a personality unlike mr 'your the best fans ever' standard spiel.

Besides he's never lied to stewards, tweeted team sensitive data, potentially suggesting his own team was sabotaging his car and made his own pitwall look like mugs over the radio, add the continous Hamilton bias across the F1 media non-Hamilton fans have had to put up with over the years, all that should give you a clue Steve as to 'why all the hate?'. (I say that as someone who despises him off the track but not on it)

I can agree with that sentiment LC, I mean I started to support Seb after DC retired (2008) and once Seb retires in the future at some point I will obviously start supporting another driver - however I won't be supporting Mad Max or Leclerc for that matter as they will have been around for a few years by then and that would be like jumping on the bandwagon at the point.

Rather support a German instead of a Englishman (when it suits him) who is a cúnt.;)
(oh by the way LC the war ended nearly 75 years ago - time to move on)
You give me a sore thumb mate, wish someone would restrict you to 2 paragraphs per comment lol.
I know the war ended and for the record I like Germans. I think they have alot in common with us and SEB seems like a pretty chill guy off track. But zeGermans will all ways be our greatest rival especially in sports that's why I love it when we beat them. They had there era with schumacher, now Hamilton is doing it for us.