2019 Japanese Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 Japanese Grand Prix

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I know its early but I thought I would get this done now.

Normally I would talk about who this tracks should suit and how many minutes Mercedes will win by but as it stands the chances of there even being a race look slim but hopeful its just a false alarm like 2004. (For those who don't know about 2004 there was a typhoon forecast so they closed the track for the whole day on Saturday but the typhoon missed the track so they did qualifying on Sunday morning which is what gave Bernie and Max the idea for the 2005 qualifying with a Saturday and Sunday session and aggregate times which everyone hated)

On the bright side for Merc fans if the race doesn't happen everyone except Hamilton and Bottas will be out of the drivers championship and you would only need 14 points from the last four races to win the constructors

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Yeah seen the weather forecast it looks grim, just thinking ahead of a scenario of what happens if there is no qualifying - is the grid/staring order decided by the last/recent FP session, championship standings or even car number?

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
They will hold a paper boat race down the pit lane to determine grid positions. I would say Kubica has a good chance of getting further up the grid but the boats are to be constructed by the driver and no team orders are allowed so I’m not sure if he will improve on his 20th

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well theres still no expected change with the typhoon's its currently due to hit on Japan saturday (with this one the equivalent of a category 5 hurricane) and even if it does change course - it will require a big change of direction as this typhoon covers a diameter of 500 miles!

However looking at the typhoon's course it should washout saturday completely but be long gone and clear of Suzuka by Sunday morning, so I think we're looking at a likely sunday qualifying but if the typhoon leaves the Suzuka area slower then expected and is still affecting things when qualy is due, then we could be looking at no qualy.

And I've looked into it and from what I can gather if there is no qualifying - FP3 would/should set the grid, but the likelihood is that FP3 wouldn't be going ahead either so - I'm then guessing FP2 or (incredibly) number order would then set the grid...:unsure:
(@Steve Jackson can you give us any help on this potential scenario?)

They will hold a paper boat race down the pit lane to determine grid positions. I would say Kubica has a good chance of getting further up the grid but the boats are to be constructed by the driver and no team orders are allowed so I’m not sure if he will improve on his 20th
Theres a good chance we'll see the paper boats again.:LOL:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well theres still no expected change with the typhoon's its currently due to hit on Japan saturday (with this one the equivalent of a category 5 hurricane) and even if it does change course - it will require a big change of direction as this typhoon covers a diameter of 500 miles!

However looking at the typhoon's course it should washout saturday completely but be long gone and clear of Suzuka by Sunday morning, so I think we're looking at a likely sunday qualifying but if the typhoon leaves the Suzuka area slower then expected and is still affecting things when qualy is due, then we could be looking at no qualy.

And I've looked into it and from what I can gather if there is no qualifying - FP3 would/should set the grid, but the likelihood is that FP3 wouldn't be going ahead either so - I'm then guessing FP2 or (incredibly) number order would then set the grid...:unsure:
(@Steve Jackson can you give us any help on this potential scenario?)

Theres a good chance we'll see the paper boats again.:LOL:
@Wobbuffet AFAIK

Race Control will make every effort to run at least some part of Qualifying practice between 90 min after the end of P3 (or any sessions held up until the time for the end of P3 has passed) the cars will be in that order from practice. P3 must take place within 18 and a half hours of the end of P2.

But, with Japan before they have said they would run Qualifying on Sunday morning if it was not possible to run on Saturday. They could run Qualifying Practice at any time to finish within 75 minutes of the race start. At race minus 1 hour they publish the grid order.

If Qualifying starts, the session can be abandoned and the grid is formed from the standing classification (plus penalties) when the session is abandoned (even if that is P3 order).

• Informative
Reactions: Wobbuffet

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Seems like a good opportunity to try a reverse grid race just use the Russia results that will make @Wobbuffet happy :LOL:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
@Wobbuffet AFAIK

Race Control will make every effort to run at least some part of Qualifying practice between 90 min after the end of P3 (or any sessions held up until the time for the end of P3 has passed) the cars will be in that order from practice. P3 must take place within 18 and a half hours of the end of P2.

But, with Japan before they have said they would run Qualifying on Sunday morning if it was not possible to run on Saturday. They could run Qualifying Practice at any time to finish within 75 minutes of the race start. At race minus 1 hour they publish the grid order.

If Qualifying starts, the session can be abandoned and the grid is formed from the standing classification (plus penalties) when the session is abandoned (even if that is P3 order).
Thats really surprising that the FIA/race control would/could let qualy finish that close to the race, sure I understand why they would be desperate for some kind of qualy to take place, but equally if it was to finish around 75 minutes before the actual race surely things like parc ferme and post qualy checks by race officials/scrutineers would become a total rush job, also the teams would still need to prep their cars for the race.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with that typhoon over the next 24 hours.

Seems like a good opportunity to try a reverse grid race just use the Russia results that will make @Wobbuffet happy :LOL:
Nah, I'd rather use car number instead:
Ricciardo on pole, Norris front row, Seb 3rd, Leclerc 8th, Mad Max 14th, Hamilton 15th & Bottas 18th. :ROFLMAO:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Thats really surprising that the FIA/race control would/could let qualy finish that close to the race, sure I understand why they would be desperate for some kind of qualy to take place, but equally if it was to finish around 75 minutes before the actual race surely things like parc ferme and post qualy checks by race officials/scrutineers would become a total rush job, also the teams would still need to prep their cars for the race.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with that typhoon over the next 24 hours.

Nah, I'd rather use car number instead:
Ricciardo on pole, Norris front row, Seb 3rd, Leclerc 8th, Mad Max 14th, Hamilton 15th & Bottas 18th. :ROFLMAO:
The problem with the regulations is they don't really account for extreme weather or force majeure. Until it happens they probably won't modify any rules for fear of creating a rule that traps them into doing anything and reduces their wriggle room or gives anyone a chance to gamble on the rule being invoked. To my knowledge, it (the scenario) hasn't happened before.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Just to confound my previous post, they've cancelled all Saturday activity and will hold qualifying on Sunday morning at 10:00 local time (02:00 BST). P2 results will be the grid order if qualifying does not take place.

Reactions: acerees

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Since 2008 (Alonso) this is a 5-4 to Hamilton over Vettel, excluding 11 (Button) and 16 (Rosberg).

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It looked like Merc have a slight advantage here over RB and Ferrari, going to be strange watching qualy then dozing off for a couple hours to then get up for the race. (god I hate it whenever races start 4-7am in morning lol)

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
It looked like Merc have a slight advantage here over RB and Ferrari, going to be strange watching qualy then dozing off for a couple hours to then get up for the race. (god I hate it whenever races start 4-7am in morning lol)
yeah think I’m skipping quali

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Wow fia ferrari international association strikes again. Bs

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Very disappointing from the Stewards and Race Control. Verstappen / Leclerc NFA...no, we better look at it. Meanwhile, for Vettel it takes 20% of the race to decide there isn't a jump start (which there was). Before anyone argues, it's a sporting advantage as it is offputting to other drivers, otherwise they'd all be trying to make a jump without triggering the sensor and try to get someone else "triggered" (ho ho). But, I would argue there was enough damage caused as it did cause Spinbastian (I found that elsewhere and I like it) to have a terrible start.

Not impressed by Leclerc's attitude towards the car damage (self-inflicted as it was) and anyone arguing otherwise only had to see what happened with the end plate and that mirror could have resulted in something worse. I'm reminded of the Barichello / Massa spring incident; it doesn't take a lot of mass at those speeds for objects to do serious damage. So another black mark for the Race Director / Control / Stewards. It's all a bit less efficient since Charlie's passing. (RIP)

Was quite good defending from Vettel (I'll use the other name sparingly I promise) at the end from Hamilton (who was having a major strop and did his image no favours with the whining). FGS man, your nearest challenger is your teammate who was the one winning the race and he'll roll over for you should you have nothing but car failures (not that that's likely) just keep showing up and the title's yours.

Was a bit of desperation from Ferrari to try to take the FL to stop the inevitable for a fortnight but in the end they could pit Leclerc safely (without positional risk) but his attempt was delayed and defused by him being unable to work out he needed to make his own space for a lap.

Pleased for Ricciardo that he was released to get 7th but seeing as the Hulk is on the way out he's going to be bitched in the remaning races unless he can get clear of his teamie.

Missed qualifying because I'm not stupid enough to get up at that time. Seeing as I rolled in around 1am I could've stayed up but decided to watch the race rather than wait for highlights.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
And rightfully, Leclerc has got 15 seconds, demoting him to 7th. 5 seconds for the collsion with Verstappen and 10 seconds for not pitting with the damage (Ferrari also fined 25,000 Euros). But, IDK how long after the race this was announced and why could he not be shown the black and orange?

Reactions: acerees

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Quite a entertaining Qualy and Race yesterday, obviously very happy with Seb getting pole but less so with the race.

But I think what becoming increasing clear of late is Ferrari have the edge/advantage over one lap (ala qualy) but the advantage swings back when it really matters and in favour to Merc, not just because of there race pace but the fact their car is currently more kinder to its tyres then Ferrari, its because of this that I strongly believe the win wasn't possible for Seb (or Leclerc) yesterday.

Anyway as for the race yeah when I saw the start and then the onboard it was clear Seb jumped the start but somehow or should I say thankfully it didn't register as a jump start, it reminded me to a lesser extent of Bottas at Austria a couple years ago, he clearly started to move as the lights were still red and he avoided a pen.

Meanwhile, for Vettel it takes 20% of the race to decide there isn't a jump start (which there was). Before anyone argues, it's a sporting advantage as it is offputting to other drivers, otherwise they'd all be trying to make a jump without triggering the sensor and try to get someone else "triggered" (ho ho). But, I would argue there was enough damage caused as it did cause Spinbastian (I found that elsewhere and I like it) to have a terrible start.
Either way Seb lost out at the start but I do agree to a degree Steve with your assessment of Seb's non call by the stewards on this occasion, as off topic I know but a F1 league race I was in many seasons ago I was starting 5th and the driver in 4th moved while the 5 red lights were on which caught my eye, (he had a lag start) and that caused me to just jump the start and pick up a drive thru, so I can understand your pov on this.

With the Leclerc/Mad Max, yeah Leclerc (or the stewards) didn't exactly cover themselves in glory there with that or the immediate aftermath, I do feel a tad sorry for Ferrari getting a fine (sure they can afford it) but equally they kept radioing to him to pit straight after it and Leclerc didn't, I feel Ferrari were free of any blame on that as from the pitwall you can't take control of the car and force a driver to pit.:LOL:

The thing is though after the end plate finally broke off, I don't understand why they then didn't tell Leclerc to stay out, he still had decent pace and he would've avoided dropping to the back plus he would have been able to play the team game and hold up Hamilton, Leclerc could have still finished that race 4th in that instance. (not including any time pens of course.

Anyway the race was very entertaining for a Japanese GP (at Suzuka) plenty of battling and overtakes with a lot of different strategies so it was nice to see this here for a change.

With Hamilton and his comments during and immediately post race, it doesn't surprise me because as I've said before previously all top drivers are selfish to a degree (they have to be), while there racing its all about them as far there concerned - the team is a secondary consideration, with there teammate a distant third.

However at the time Hamilton clearly didn't disguise his unhappiness of how his race went, and the team radio on the slow down lap, his congrats to the team which has just won an incredible 6th constructors in a row sounded so insincere much like a 'yeah, great, good for you whatever'.

But that team is whats provided him with the car to highly likely win a 5th championship in just 6 seasons and has made Bottas his clear number 2 for the second half of 2 of these last 3 seasons and even this season as well to a degree, it just feels like at times Hamilton doesn't truly appreciate the situation he finds himself in, again I understand the top drivers always want to win, but its a case of looking at the bigger picture.

As for Bottas he seemed to have the legitimate edge on Hamilton this weekend but its likely the case of to little to late with that 64 point gap, at this point now I would like to see the championship go down to Brazil (even if its a scenario of Hamilton needing 1 point) just so theres still something to keep everyone fully interested, though it would be something else if it somehow went to the final race though.

Reactions: Steve Jackson

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I'll kick off with Bottas at Austria. It wasn't a jump, but he had superpowers. His reaction time was impossible, he anticipated the start perfectly....