2019 Japanese Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 Japanese Grand Prix

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I'll kick off with Bottas at Austria. It wasn't a jump, but he had superpowers. His reaction time was impossible, he anticipated the start perfectly....
If I recall they showed it frame by frame and he started moving on the exact same frame that the lights went out which is impossible for a human to have that reaction time so technically it was a jump start he just got extremely lucky that the lights went out at the exact tenth of a second that they did.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
If I recall they showed it frame by frame and he started moving on the exact same frame that the lights went out which is impossible for a human to have that reaction time so technically it was a jump start he just got extremely lucky that the lights went out at the exact tenth of a second that they did.
Isn’t that what I said?

Reactions: acerees

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
This truce can't last @Wobbuffet :p
And people think I'm the argumentative bastard out of the 2 of us!

However Steve I come in peace...this time.

Besides when did I ever say or call a truce, I know its unheard of but even our views can align on f1 matters on very rare occasionso_O, hence why I had nothing to argue with what you said - if you can't handle that then that's on you.:LOL:

I'll kick off with Bottas at Austria. It wasn't a jump, but he had superpowers. His reaction time was impossible, he anticipated the start perfectly....
(Ok if you want to play this game, then I'll play with you for a bit:p)

Change 'anticipated' to 'gambled at'

The only thing I can compare Bottas start at Austria in a way is to athletics and the 100m etc, if a runner(s) leaves their blocks (that have sensors) at under 0.2sec after the gun is fired, then that is a false start and they are promptly given a red card and are disqualified from the race.
So in Bottas cased he gambled as his reaction time was/is impossible, in reality he did jump that start but because the lights went out at the exact moment he moved the F1 sensors didn't flag it as a jump start, but in athletics it would've been a different story.

For F1 though, for them to clearly determine if a driver 'jumps the start' I imagine the determining factor is if any driver leaves their grid slot before the lights go out, it doesn't factor in human reaction time or if a car is just a bit back in their grid slot and moves.

The upshot is that Seb's start on sunday has just shone a very clear bright light on what was a unknown important grey area.

The FIA will need and have to look into this and change the rules on jump starts for next year, as potentially whats to stop a driver parking a meter short of his grid slot and deliberately moving while 5 lights are on. (to move up a meter properly into his grid slot - ie faking a start)
Causing those immediately behind to likely instantly react and jump the start, then the driver who caused it will then get away with it, because they wouldn't have set their grid sensor off and the FIA wouldn't be able to punish them because of there own current rules, even if they know its deliberate.

And just thinking about that, it sounds such a fool proof plan that Dick Dastardly would be proud of it. (though it would make starts crazy/dangerous if that actually is a legal loophole and drivers could start doing that)

Last edited:

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
And people think I'm the argumentative bastard out of the 2 of us!

However Steve I come in peace...this time.

Besides when did I ever say or call a truce, I know its unheard of but even our views can align on f1 matters on very rare occasionso_O, hence why I had nothing to argue with what you said - if you can't handle that then that's on you.:LOL:

(Ok if you want to play this game, then I'll play with you for a bit:p)

Change 'anticipated' to 'gambled at'

The only thing I can compare Bottas start at Austria in a way is to athletics and the 100m etc, if a runner(s) leaves their blocks (that have sensors) at under 0.2sec after the gun is fired, then that is a false start and they are promptly given a red card and are disqualified from the race.
So in Bottas cased he gambled as his reaction time was/is impossible, in reality he did jump that start but because the lights went out at the exact moment he moved the F1 sensors didn't flag it as a jump start, but in athletics it would've been a different story.

For F1 though, for them to clearly determine if a driver 'jumps the start' I imagine the determining factor is if any driver leaves their grid slot before the lights go out, it doesn't factor in human reaction time or if a car is just a bit back in their grid slot and moves.

The upshot is that Seb's start on sunday has just shone a very clear bright light on what was a unknown important grey area.

The FIA will need and have to look into this and change the rules on jump starts for next year, as potentially whats to stop a driver parking a meter short of his grid slot and deliberately moving while 5 lights are on. (to move up a meter properly into his grid slot - ie faking a start)
Causing those immediately behind to likely instantly react and jump the start, then the driver who caused it will then get away with it, because they wouldn't have set their grid sensor off and the FIA wouldn't be able to punish them because of there own current rules, even if they know its deliberate.

And just thinking about that, it sounds such a fool proof plan that Dick Dastardly would be proud of it. (though it would make starts crazy/dangerous if that actually is a legal loophole and drivers could start doing that)
The rule with jump start is to do with sensor movement. This was extensively explained during the Bottas issue. So basically the car stops for the lights and the sensor is then activated. Whilst waiting for the green light the cars are able to move a small (undisclosed amount) without it being classified as a jump start. So let’s say the tolerance is 0.5m that means you are allowed to move that much forward before the sensor would flag a jump start. The reason the tolerance is there is to do with clutch engagement (the cars can and do pitch forward when engaged) and sensor inaccuracy (a bit like putting a dead one on your brake pedal to stop a game thinking you are pressing the brake by 1% whilst driving). After all these sensors are hall sensors effectively and are sensitive to interference very occasionally. So I can only assume that Vettel did move before the green light but he didn’t move over the tolerance. If he did move over the tolerance then he should have got a penalty. What I did and do find surprising is that there has been an official explanation either during the race or after. The Bottas jump start was explained and although left some frustrated, it makes sense, we get it. Maybe the FIA needs to reduce their tolerance level.

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Meanwhile we've heard rumors of a Miami race and provisionally (and potentially) a 23rd race for 2021 has just been announced, and in turn one step closer to Liberty's dream vision of reaching a eventual 25 race season:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Meanwhile we've heard rumors of a Miami race and provisionally (and potentially) a 23rd race for 2021 has just been announced, and in turn one step closer to Liberty's dream vision of reaching a eventual 25 race season:

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion over what direction the track goes I was under the impression that the tight left hander was turn 1 but I've seen people say the sweeping left right is turn 1/2.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
There seems to be quite a lot of confusion over what direction the track goes I was under the impression that the tight left hander was turn 1 but I've seen people say the sweeping left right is turn 1/2.
I don't have a clue either, but with 2 long straights at opposite sides of the stadium they should be the main overtaking opportunities.

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Note the run off area at the end of the long straight. Surely that means the cars are running clockwise around the track. I couldn’t tell you where the start finish line is.

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
In fact all of the run off areas are illustrated for a clockwise track

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I don't have a clue either, but with 2 long straights at opposite sides of the stadium they should be the main overtaking opportunities.
Note the run off area at the end of the long straight. Surely that means the cars are running clockwise around the track. I couldn’t tell you where the start finish line is.
From looking at the first picture you can see the cars coming round a hairpin which looks to be the hairpin at the end of the long back straight followed by a medium speed left/right leading on to the pit straight which is the short straight in the middle of the track and the slow left/right turn 1/2 looks to be almost a copy of Canada.

Also on the second picture you can see the stadium on the right side of the start finish straight and turn 1 going left so that all but confirms it.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
25 races is insane. I don't think I could maintain interest that long as a fan.

It's fine being a World Championship but N America has it's rounds (US/Canada). Unless we see more of the European rounds go, it's just a treadmill. e.g. France / Monaco, Holland / Belgium, Austria / Hungary, etc. Probably retain the latter in each instance. Can see room for a Scandianavian round but sensibly in season.

Also think Bahrain / Abu Dhabi should be rationalised. No opinion either way really, probably keep Bahrain push comes to shove.

So far, notable omissions would be India and Africa. Indigenous crowds should be a pre-requisite so this puts the Arabian ones under the spotlight and probably Azerbaijan.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
25 races is insane. I don't think I could maintain interest that long as a fan.
Trouble is Liberty probably prefer quantity over quality and have the philosophy of 'more is better', for them they don't care if the tracks they add are either garbage for racing or don't have a F1 fanbase.
They can just argue 'we're trying to spread the appeal of F1 worldwide and bring in new fans, its not about the money'.
(*while the PR guy has a Havana in his mouth and is lighting it up with a $50 bill, meanwhile in the boardroom the watching Liberty executives are snorting lines of cocaine with $100 bills.)