2020 Australian/Austrian Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2020 Australian/Austrian Grand Prix

Will Mercedes dominate?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No...who am I kidding - I mean Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No and I mean it! (wow thats some optimism there)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I might as well get the ball rolling as the first race of the season is upcoming this weekend.

Anyway here's the standard track and tyre allocation preview by Pirelli:

Tomji_

AOR PS4 GT3 S13 T4 Champion
Apr 9, 2017
I can't help but feel this will just be another Mercedes Hamilton dominated season. I think it will be more action-packed though with so many drivers out of contract at the end of the season and all trying to secure a Mercedes or Ferrari seat.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
So on the day the Coronavirus is now officially declared a pandemic by the WHO, 3 team members in F1 are being tested to see if they have the coronavirus:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51831409

If any of these team members do, then those they've been in close contact with will also have a chance of having it as well, the only sane option in that scenario has to be to cancel the race this weekend, or if there that desperate that money has to talk then 'run it behind close doors' and try reduce the risk as much as possible.

Either way what definitely can't happen is to carry on regardless and have 200,000 people all in close potential contact with each other.

But looking further ahead, the outcome of whether any of those team members do indeed have the coronavirus will potentially determine whether Bahrain & Vietnam go ahead.

Tomji_

Apr 9, 2017
McLaren have pulled out of the Australian GP. Given Ross Brawn’s previous comments about being “everyone or no one”, I can’t see this going ahead.

Not sure where this would leave the support races for S5000 or Aussie Supercars either.

Tomji_

Apr 9, 2017
McLaren have pulled out of the Australian GP. Given Ross Brawn’s previous comments about being “everyone or no one”, I can’t see this going ahead.

Not sure where this would leave the support races for S5000 or Aussie Supercars either.

Take that back - I misquoted him :D ! He said that if one or more team doesn't race then it will be a non-championship race.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It had to be done and common sense has eventually prevailed, have to expect Bahrain & Vietnam to be cancelled as well within the next few days.

Though with so many sports worldwide being put on hold or postpones you now have to wonder how many races will also be cancelled, Holland & Spain are in 2 months time and are probably are at risk as well.

The most optimistic fans may hope that the season will start at Holland now, but the earliest I think it'll be using the most optimistic outlook could be Monaco.

Though my if I had to bet when the season will start now I'd say after the summer break - Belgium, but to be honest if it got that far you might as well scrap the whole season at that point.:cautious:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
So as expected Bahrain & Vietnam have been postponed and now Liberty & FIA are targeting a May season start, though with what I've been seeing and reading Baku is being touted as the likely first round this season so make of that what you will.

Either way all we can do now is wait and see, but I imagine the picture will be a lot clearer by mid April.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Think its time for a new race thread @Wobbuffet ;)
Lets just use this one Joker, (if I had my way I would've have just edited the thread title lol) besides theres not that much of a difference between 'Australian' & 'Austrian', anyway all you need to be is half-cut when you see the thread title and your not likely to notice the difference or care about it.:p

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I see the thread title has been changed thanks to who ever did that, as the poll question would've been the same regardless, anyway here is the standard Pirelli's track and tyre allocation preview:

Though the tyre allocation preview is a bit surprising:

So based on that Pirelli aren't letting the drivers or teams choose the allocation for the upcoming season.

iJokeri22

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I see the thread title has been changed thanks to who ever did that,
:sneaky::sneaky:

Though the tyre allocation preview is a bit surprising:

So based on that Pirelli aren't letting the drivers or teams choose the allocation for the upcoming season.
Yeah they announced sometime in April or May that the teams cant choose their tyres this season I assume its because of the 8 week notice that Pirelli need for European races and I believe 14 weeks for the flyaways so with the lockdown it wouldn't have been possible, wont really make any difference though its not like there was ever much of a difference between teams anyway.

• Useful
Reactions: Wobbuffet

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Makes it easier for Codies to programme ... oh wait they haven’t ever been doing it right in the first place.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well that didn't take long lol:

I don't blame Red Bull, but I'd be surprised if there protest succeeds.

iJokeri22

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
The whole field was withing 1.6 seconds in FP3 which is promising and Verstappen was less than 0.3 behind the Mercedes so now we can expect Merc to do the first ever lap in under 60 seconds be 5 seconds clear of everyone in qualifying.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well at least with Bottas on pole we're guaranteed a race for the first corner at least, if he doesn't keep Hamilton behind him then its likely race over.

The only real challenger to Merc is Mad Max and he'll have to hope that starting on Mediums will pay off in the long run, but it'll be irrelevant should he not stay at least 3rd after the start he can ill afford a bad start and the Merc's being able to drive off into the distance.

As for Seb, well hopefully he can take advantage of free tyre choice - top 6 has to be the realistic aim for him as the Ferrari is clearly a upper midfield car at best at the moment.

When Binotto earlier this week pretty said they had changed development direction completely on this year's car and were using the same car from testing with no updates, at that point I did think there was a reasonable chance that Ferrari would do very well to stay 3rd overall this weekend, but the current situation for them is a lot worse then anyone of us really thought it was.

Obviously they've said there bringing there first updates at Hungary (round 3), but to find the pace there missing currently probably requires the 'updates' to be a different & new car completely.