2020 Australian/Austrian Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2020 Australian/Austrian Grand Prix

Will Mercedes dominate?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No...who am I kidding - I mean Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No and I mean it! (wow thats some optimism there)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Verstappen on Mediums could be inspired. Temps are high so Thermal deg could be high. Could turn the race into a two stopper. Mercedes have had tyre temperature problems before so you never know Redbull could have better race pace.

Reactions: Tomji_

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
What a crazy action packed race, and we will be lucky if next weeks race is half as eventful as that.:LOL:

Firstly Bottas drove a solid no thrills race and didn't put a foot wrong and deserved to win, though it was clear Hamilton was probably on average a couple tenths quicker then him and you have to think he will highly likely bounce back in the next race here.

And definitely a surprise 2nd & 3rd, great drives by Leclerc & Norris, RP were not where I thought they would be pace wise pretty similar to McLaren & Ferrari, as for Seb he made the one clear error and it likely cost him at least a top 6, though people can criticise him all they want today but I'm content as he did the right thing, he made sure he only cost himself and didn't take another driver out.

I'm sure Red Bull will bounce back as well but they've clearly still haven't sorted out there reliability issues, but saying that they weren't the only ones, Haas had brake issues, engine/technical troubles for a few and Alfa can't even attach a wheel properly during a pitstop, all of that gave us just 11 finishers and nearly gifted Latifi and Williams a point!

As for Hamilton the big talking point is his incident with Albon, I can understand both sides of the argument (racing incident/pen) but the main point for me is Albon had 75% of his car ahead of Hamilton and had the move done by the time contact occurred.

Now for me I consider one of Hamilton's biggest strengths over the past few years to be his view of 'big picture racing' and for the first time in a while he's got it wrong today, as Hamilton was never going to be able to win the race after the last SC and once Albon was getting past him the smart thing to do in his position would've been to concede the position and let him chase Bottas down, as who knows Bottas & Albon could've come together and Hamilton would've been able to pick up the pieces.

But instead Hamilton not thinking of the bigger picture has cost himself and put him 13pts behind Bottas instead of 3 or 7pts, and lets be fair everyone its crystal clear that its a 2 horse race for the WDC this year, add the fact were in for a shorter season and the amount of races is unknown right now, 13pts is a big chuck to give away to your title rival in 1 race, plus he likely now has the added issue now of a unhappy Albon who he's wronged twice now and would feel entitled in making Hamilton's life very difficult on the track if he gets the opportunity.

Anyway back on topic to the Albon/Hamilton incident, yeah for me Hamilton's pen was warranted.

Looking ahead to the next race, with the amount of warnings we heard from the Merc pitwall to Bottas & Hamilton over there gearbox, you would have to think there are chances both will need replacement ones for the next race and in turn picking up a 5 place penalty each, just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomji_

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Okay Albon was 75% ahead, whatever the front of the rear wheel percentage is on a Red Bull.

Anyone mentioned the second Red Car? I think that says a lot. A spent historic force.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Okay Albon was 75% ahead, whatever the front of the rear wheel percentage is on a Red Bull.

Anyone mentioned the second Red Car? I think that says a lot. A spent historic force.
I think Steve's post just above speaks volumes in itself about the Hamilton/Albon incident, and it is nice to see he saw it for what it was, unlike the biased sky & channel 4 commentary teams at the time.

As I said I can understand why some Hamilton's fans will feel the pen was unfair, but at the end of the day your not the only ones to have seen pens applied to the driver you support that could be considered unfair lol.

Besides there was a pretty much carbon copy situation of the Hamilton/Albon battle and that was between Leclerc & Norris, difference was though Norris was sensible enough to know to lift quickly & early enough to avoid hitting into Leclerc, whereas Hamilton just keep his foot in.
Now you may think that Norris's actions aren't what a potential future world champion in the making should do, but he made the right decision plus played the long game at the same time and because he did that he got rewarded for it, hence why he finished ahead of Hamilton.;)

As for your dig at Seb 'a spent historic force', for now you should be more worried about Hamilton as that's 2 incidents he been at fault for in the last 3 races, (a ratio that common for him around 10 years ago) who knows this might be the start of a regular occurrence for him now.:p

But going back to Seb yeah it looks like he's had enough, but difference is he will be still high in the history books of F1 for all the right reasons, in the end it doesn't really matter in the here and now because I can guarantee you 30 years from now once Seb is long retired, that these last couple years will be long forgotten by the majority of fans, all they'll see is his list of records and achievements that put him in the upper echelons of the sport.

I mean for example majority of fans forget that Senna basically & deliberately drove his championship rival Prost straight off the track to win the championship, of course Prost pretty much did the exact same thing to Senna but ultimately 2 wrongs don't make a right, those actions to win a championship that way should have seen both of them vilified to this day like Schumacher was back in the 90's, instead they (majority of f1 fans) forgot that huge misdemeanour back in the 80's and still laud Senna to this day.

And that sort of emphasizes my point, Seb's mistakes and errors will be long forgotten in the end (just like Hamilton has made over his career) and he'll be ultimately remembered for his 4 WDC's and numerous records he created, while making drivers like Alonso look like a footnote and that'll do quite nicely for me.:D

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
@Wobbuffet Brundle was so far up Hamilton's arse he was licking his belly button. Didn't even bother with C4 and won't until they are live at the BGP.
DC and Edwards weren't much better to be fair, when they went to Billy Monger after the race and did analysis of the Hamilton/Albon incident, I was fully expecting him to say racing incident - but he looked at it from a drivers perspective instead of a biased one, and pretty much said fault was with Hamilton so fair play to him.

Off topic Steve, but are you perhaps still in celebrating/party mode after Liverpool winning the league?;)

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
DC and Edwards weren't much better to be fair, when they went to Billy Monger after the race and did analysis of the Hamilton/Albon incident, I was fully expecting him to say racing incident - but he looked at it from a drivers perspective instead of a biased one, and pretty much said fault was with Hamilton so fair play to him.

Off topic Steve, but are you perhaps still in celebrating/party mode after Liverpool winning the league?;)
No, because we appear to still be in a mini-slump. To be honest, we won the league offset over the two seasons, we were so far ahead before going to Watford it was unreal. So it was just the relief that the season was finally going to be continued and concluded. It was a slow realisation from halfway (19-20 games) that we just weren't going to be be caught.

Believe it or not, the side is in flux. They're perfectly capable of winning the league again next season and it will be about the mentality to go out and prove it all again. But if they don't do that, the next phase of recruitment must be just as hungry and inspired. The front trio will all be looking to finish their careers with the best payday and recent recruits (Keita, Minamino) don't seem to be hitting the ground running. The kids aren't getting quite enough game time for me, I'd like to see some of them step up as it's clear we are reducing personnel (Clyne, Lallana, etc.) and there are still question marks over assets like Shaquiri, Grujic, Karius and the biggest for me is how long Milner can continue (he's vital).

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet