2020 car launches, pre-season testing & other news | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2020 car launches, pre-season testing & other news

Which team will top pre-season testing the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Thought I would start this thread as its that time of the year again, where now just 1 week away from the first team unveiling there new car for 2020 and 2 weeks away from the beginning of pre-season testing.

In other recent news its been announced that Racing Point will be rebranded as Aston Martin next year:

Also Formula E has announced that there Chinese round has been cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak:
You have to wonder now if F1 can really avoid cancelling there Chinese race as well.

And lastly something that'll píss off the Hamilton fans no doubt (@Steve Jackson & @Erti147;)), Mad Max has come out and said today: 'Hamilton's Good, but not God'

Yes I agree Mad Max, Hamilton definitely isn't 'God' but to say he's just 'Good' is taking the Michael, he should have gone for 'Very Good' perhaps.:LOL:

Last edited:

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
Taken bit out of context but oh well a deh really care what he says

No chance we're gan to China - shame cos is a gid track - which btw a dk how China 2011 didn't make into F1's top 10 at least for race of the decade

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Though I would start this thread as its that time of the year again, where now just 1 week away from the first team unveiling there new car for 2020 and 2 weeks away from the beginning of pre-season testing.

In other recent news its been announced that Racing Point will be rebranded as Aston Martin next year:

Also Formula E has announced that there Chinese round has been cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak:
You have to wonder now if F1 can really avoid cancelling there Chinese race as well.

And lastly something that'll píss off the Hamilton fans no doubt (@Steve Jackson & @Erti147;)), Mad Max has come out and said today: 'Hamilton's Good, but not God'

Yes I agree Mad Max, Hamilton definitely isn't 'God' but to say he's just 'Good' is taking the Michael, he should have gone for 'Very Good' perhaps.:LOL:
I'm a fan of Hamilton when he is the man, which to be fair he is less of a flake than Vettel most of the time. Fragile, but uses it. When he's on it, he's pretty close to untouchable. Can't ever be underestimated. Can't say that about any of the others, except maybe Leclerc who is showing grace under the psychological pressure of Ferrari not admitting the truth about Vettel.

Not sure if Max will ever get a ride in a Ferrari, not sure he will need it. Only other individual at the level required to be a WDC. Red Bull might be enough one day, maybe one day soon.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Taken bit out of context but oh well a deh really care what he says
Yeah the f1 media does prefer these days to go for potential controversial headlines, sky definitely cherry picked out of Mad Max's words knowing that they will get people 'clicking' on them.

Not sure if Max will ever get a ride in a Ferrari, not sure he will need it. Only other individual at the level required to be a WDC. Red Bull might be enough one day, maybe one day soon.
Well speaking of RB there optimistic for it being this season:

Meanwhile Ross Brawn says there'll look to reschedule the Chinese GP if the coronavirus causes it postponement:

Looking at the current scheduled calendar, for me theres one place where I think they could move it to and not cause to much upheaval for the teams, personnel etc, and that's October 4th between Russia & Japan.

I know that would mean 4 GPs in a row but there isn't really any better option I think, also at least China is on the way from Russia to Japan.

Finally Haas are the first team to show there 2020 car and have released a couple photos of it:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Yeah the f1 media does prefer these days to go for potential controversial headlines, sky definitely cherry picked out of Mad Max's words knowing that they will get people 'clicking' on them.

Well speaking of RB there optimistic for it being this season:

Meanwhile Ross Brawn says there'll look to reschedule the Chinese GP if the coronavirus causes it postponement:

Looking at the current scheduled calendar, for me theres one place where I think they could move it to and not cause to much upheaval for the teams, personnel etc, and that's October 4th between Russia & Japan.

I know that would mean 4 GPs in a row but there isn't really any better option I think, also at least China is on the way from Russia to Japan.

Finally Haas are the first team to show there 2020 car and have released a couple photos of it:

It'll just be the Haas after Melbourne.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016

In an earlier post, Hamilton said: "I'm going to be a machine this year; on another level than ever before." @Wobbuffet
Yeah I saw that a week ago I think it was, whether he comes out all guns blazing at Melbourne and dominates the first race of the season remains to be seen, but either way to be saying "I'm going to be a machine this year; on another level than ever before." is basically playing mind games with the other drivers which is fair enough considering they all do it in some way shape or form lol.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Red Bull RB16:

Renault however didn't actually launch there car at their car launch, we'll have to wait until the first day of testing for it.

McLaren today presented the MCL35:

Tomorrow will see Mercedes and Alpha Tauri launch there respective cars, lastly there is speculation that the Vietnam GP is now at threat of being postponed because of the coronavirus. (due to the fact Hanoi is just 100 miles from the Chinese border)

To be honest I doubt it will happen, but if Vietnam were to be postponed then all of a sudden there would be a massive 6 week gap in the calendar between the Bahrain & Dutch GP's.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I know this is incredibly unlikely to happen but would be awesome if it does, especially as the pit straight is now twice the length it was back in 2006 so overtaking should be possible now.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/imola-china/
Yeah would be good to see Imola back even with just for this year, though its not likely and the track generally doesn't exactly lend itself to good overtaking opportunities.

Anyway heres a couple more car launches,

Williams FW43:
Williams FW43

Williams FW43

Racing Point RP20:
Image result for racing point rp20

Just Alfa & Renault left.

Anyway tomorrow sees the first day of testing with all the speculation and bullshit about the potential team order that comes with it.:LOL:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well day 1 goes to Merc & Hamilton, early days but feels a bit ominous considering Hamilton was on the C2 (hard) tyre compared to those on the C3 (medium) closest to him:

Meanwhile heres Alfa Romeo's car launch:

Just leaving Renault and there RS20 which officially hasn't been launched yet.:unsure:
Anyway here it is:

The livery for some reason reminds me of a underfunded F1 team on its last legs, unsure whether there going to be on the grid for the next race.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Don't understand all the fuss being made about the closeness of the grid or the fact that Mercedes are top (and within 0.4 secs of Final Practice times in 2019).

These cars are all an evolution of 2019 ahead of a regulation change. There is only really gains to be seen at Williams and Renault (relative to McLaren).

Haas are slowest. 1 second between Perez and Stroll, 0.2s between all other driver pairings (save Hamilton-Bottas and the anomalous lap by Giovinazzi). Haven't heard the long run analysis, but I'd expect it to back up last season. Nothing major.

Absolutely no surprises.

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Great Codies have something else to try and emulate with the Mercedes wonky wheel.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
After day 2 of testing it sort of reaffirms what you said Steve:

Alfa did take todays honours but that was due to the C5 (softest) tyre, I admit I still find it a tad hard to take RP's current testing speed at face value, but if this is indeed genuine then they have every chance of leading the 'best of the rest' pack behind the usual trio.

Obviously the main news to come out of the days testing was the discovery of this:
https://twitter.com/SavlarSVK/status/1230424820141232130

You know what I can only applaud the ingenuity of this by Merc, however on the flipside the last thing I want to see is Merc improving there car in several key areas like tyre wear and an increase in top speed.
That was the one thing that was an achilles heel to Merc last season and that was the fact Ferrari had a slightly better engine and could beat on straight speed if this steering wheel trick negates Ferrari's straight line speed advantage then this season might be a write of before its started.

Though of course this new steering wheel innovation may get banned before the season starts, and the reality is that we still don't really know how close the top 3 teams are, if Merc do dominate the first 2/3 races then I think that'll be that.

Great Codies have something else to try and emulate with the Mercedes wonky wheel.
I doubt they'll put it in the game as it would only be for Merc and would require a in-game control mechanic by itself - also for the standard wheel user their steering wheel likely wouldn't be able to do what the Merc's does, as for pad users it would be impossible to bind as a action on the steering analog stick in my opinion.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Just leaving Renault and there RS20 which officially hasn't been launched yet.:unsure:
Anyway here it is:

The livery for some reason reminds me of a underfunded F1 team on its last legs, unsure whether there going to be on the grid for the next race.
I think it's just the 'black is harder to photograph' option. Teams will be on the lookout to see if anyone's trying anything radical, so this is just obfuscation.

Costs less than camo.

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Just to round up what happened on the final day of the 1st week of testing a few days ago (since the 2nd week starts tomorrow), Day 3 well and truly belonged to Merc:

And this is the overall picture from the first week:

In other news Merc's new innovative 'DAS' system will be banned from 2021 onwards, means that other teams will likely now have to look into versions of there own for this season.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
It's very hard to see that unless Merc are talking total bollocks that anyone else other than Hamilton and Bottas will contest the 2020 WDC.

Hamilton haters will point to the fact that Merc have gifted him a world-record equalling 7th title.

I think he'll do the job in front of him and basically it will be so unedifying, he'll move to Ferrari for a proper challenge.