2020 Toscana Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2020 Toscana Grand Prix

Will Pierre Gasly be recalled to Red Bull?

• Yes :love:

• No :cry:

Results are only viewable after voting.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Looks like just the 1 DRS zone.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
So no time to rest with a second Italian GP at Mugello, and its a massive one for Ferrari considering its there literal own test track but not surprising that Pirelli have gone conservative on tyre compounds and I do wonder how much overtaking we'll see this sunday though without doubt its more then likely that majority will happen at T1 at a push maybe the last corner if theres a desperate lunge.

Off topic, funnily enough Steve had I created this thread I would have also asked the same poll question more or less.:LOL:

I voted yes but with the belief that Gasly swaps with Albon after this race - that's what should happen, though whether Horner & Marko will make the swap happen and as a result to take a hit to there own egos plus looking a bit foolish in the first place for dropping Gasly down to AT is a different matter I suspect.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
So no time to rest with a second Italian GP at Mugello, and its a massive one for Ferrari considering its there literal own test track but not surprising that Pirelli have gone conservative on tyre compounds and I do wonder how much overtaking we'll see this sunday though without doubt its more then likely that majority will happen at T1 at a push maybe the last corner if theres a desperate lunge.

Off topic, funnily enough Steve had I created this thread I would have also asked the same poll question more or less.:LOL:

I voted yes but with the belief that Gasly swaps with Albon after this race - that's what should happen, though whether Horner & Marko will make the swap happen and as a result to take a hit to there own egos plus looking a bit foolish in the first place for dropping Gasly down to AT is a different matter I suspect.
Surprised you didn't mention Perez announcing he is leaving Tracing Point, surely only a matter of time now before Vettel is announced.

• Funny
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Just been doing the rounds and with it being the 1000th GP for Ferrari, there racing in a special one off livery:
Ferrari

Burgundy red, as are the driver's overalls

And also announced a couple hours ago Perez announced he's leaving RP after this season:

I imagine Seb's now on his way to what will be a seat at Aston Martin for next year, and with Perez on the market the rest of the open seats in F1's silly season is now in full flight.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well Hamilton got lucky with the yellow flags for pole but Schumacher got lucky with the SC to take the F2 championship lead so all is well with the universe again. :LOL:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
One of the rare occasions where Bottas looked to have Hamilton's number in qualy but shock horror circumstances go Hamilton's way yet again.

Expecting the start and run down to T1 to go a long way to deciding the race, as overtaking will likely be pretty difficult here, hopefully there'll be enough strategy to at least keep the race interesting or other then that a untimely SC/VSC to screw over Merc is the other hope.

Obviously the big news off track was Seb's officially joining Aston Martin for next season, it'll be interesting to see if he gets back on form there.

With Perez I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a seat some where, though I think a lot is up in the air with funnily enough what you sort of touched on above Joker - F2.

You have Mick Schumacher now leading that championship and as he's part of the Ferrari driver academy I imagine if he were to win the F2 championship you would have to believe he would be a shoe in for a seat at Alfa Romeo next year, also what a story for F1 it would be for another Schumacher to be on the grid next year.

But 2 other drivers that happen to be also from the Ferrari driver academy and colud throw a spanner into the works of the media dream F1 headline with Schumacher Jr is Callum Ilott & Robert Shwartzman - should either of them win the F2 championship then it would take some explaining how either of them would miss out on a F1 seat to Schumacher Jr, and for me the Russian Shwartzman has been very impressive in his rookie season and definitely has a lot of promise, if he makes it to F1 I don't think he'll be another Petrov.

Then lastly theres Yuki Tsunoda part of a combined Red Bull and Honda driver program (called Formula Dream over in Japan), unsurprisingly Honda want to get a Japanese driver racing for them via Alpha Tauri, which would likely see Kvyat lose his seat, but Tsunoda needs to finish top in the F2 championship to get enough super license points to be eligible to race in F1.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
One of the rare occasions where Bottas looked to have Hamilton's number in qualy but shock horror circumstances go Hamilton's way yet again.

Expecting the start and run down to T1 to go a long way to deciding the race, as overtaking will likely be pretty difficult here, hopefully there'll be enough strategy to at least keep the race interesting or other then that a untimely SC/VSC to screw over Merc is the other hope.

Obviously the big news off track was Seb's officially joining Aston Martin for next season, it'll be interesting to see if he gets back on form there.

With Perez I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a seat some where, though I think a lot is up in the air with funnily enough what you sort of touched on above Joker - F2.

You have Mick Schumacher now leading that championship and as he's part of the Ferrari driver academy I imagine if he were to win the F2 championship you would have to believe he would be a shoe in for a seat at Alfa Romeo next year, also what a story for F1 it would be for another Schumacher to be on the grid next year.

But 2 other drivers that happen to be also from the Ferrari driver academy and could throw a spanner into the works of the media dream F1 headline with Schumacher Jr is Callum Ilott & Robert Shwartzman - should either of them win the F2 championship then it would take some explaining how either of them would miss out on a F1 seat to Schumacher Jr, and for me the Russian Shwartzman has been very impressive in his rookie season and definitely has a lot of promise, if he makes it to F1 I don't think he'll be another Petrov.

Then lastly theres Yuki Tsunoda part of a combined Red Bull and Honda driver program (called Formula Dream over in Japan), unsurprisingly Honda want to get a Japanese driver racing for them via Alpha Tauri, which would likely see Kvyat lose his seat, but Tsunoda needs to finish top in the F2 championship to get enough super license points to be eligible to race in F1.
BIB

No, I think you'll find they both got a first run in and Hamilton shaded it. Bottas had shaded him the other sessions, close but always try to get the job done. Hamilton did not improve on his 2nd run anyway.

No, watching the support races, DRS overtakes a plenty into T1. SC/VSC very likely multiples. Track is too 'new' for everyone's concentration levels to be there for so many laps, the option being 'go slower'....hmm, not a choice.

Do you doubt your man? I do, I think this will be painful. His benchmark will be to beat Stroll, which Perez has done consistently. Maybe the idea is to attract sponsors as all eyes will be on the Tracing Point (yes, I've given in)...erm, Aston Martin at the start of 2021.

I wouldn't be surprised if Perez doesn't get a seat - it's an odd world. Not really sure of much except the old guard (and Perez is now one of them) are going given the performance of the freshmen. I think Kimi, Giovinazzi, Grosjean, Magnussen, they're all history. Can't be sure of Kyvat either.

Yes, I think the time is now or never for Schumacher. With the above, it's easy to see how he could end up in an Alfa.

Box office. Illott or Shwartzman don't have it, with little else to choose among them. Winning the F2 does not guarantee you anything (except the non-continuance of your F2 career), just ask Davide Valsecchi or Fabio Leimer.

Tsunoda needs another year in F2 I think.

FORMULA1FAN71

GP2 Reserve Driver
Sep 2, 2019
For all the action that happened a merc 1-2 + FL is a bit disappointing especially since bottas wasn’t even close to a challenger. Alb gets podium so that’s great at least

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
BIB

No, I think you'll find they both got a first run in and Hamilton shaded it. Bottas had shaded him the other sessions, close but always try to get the job done. Hamilton did not improve on his 2nd run anyway.
I understand that point but I'll counter that Bottas didn't get a second run because he had the misfortune of being behind Ocon, I think if had he would have got pole but that's just my opinion.

No, watching the support races, DRS overtakes a plenty into T1. SC/VSC very likely multiples. Track is too 'new' for everyone's concentration levels to be there for so many laps, the option being 'go slower'....hmm, not a choice.
I was actually surprised how many easy drs overtakes there were, with many done before T1, I would've thought around a track like Mugello that dirty air would keep around a 1.5 second buffer between cars meaning that you would need a significant pace advantage to get close enough overtake the car ahead, but I think headwind down the straight also exacerbated matters.

Do you doubt your man? I do, I think this will be painful. His benchmark will be to beat Stroll, which Perez has done consistently. Maybe the idea is to attract sponsors as all eyes will be on the Tracing Point (yes, I've given in)...erm, Aston Martin at the start of 2021.
Its not about me 'doubting' Seb but more the point that he's been a bit off the pace in general though I believe its more the case the car doesn't suit him at all and he's counting down the days until the end of the season, though I like to think he'll be reinvigorated for the new challenge at Aston Martin and once winter testing gets going. (as it'll likely be a knock-off 2020 Mercedes he'll be driving:LOL:)

I wouldn't be surprised if Perez doesn't get a seat - it's an odd world. Not really sure of much except the old guard (and Perez is now one of them) are going given the performance of the freshmen. I think Kimi, Giovinazzi, Grosjean, Magnussen, they're all history. Can't be sure of Kyvat either.

Yes, I think the time is now or never for Schumacher. With the above, it's easy to see how he could end up in an Alfa.

Box office. Illott or Shwartzman don't have it, with little else to choose among them. Winning the F2 does not guarantee you anything (except the non-continuance of your F2 career), just ask Davide Valsecchi or Fabio Leimer.

Tsunoda needs another year in F2 I think.
What I bolded - I agree all 5 of those could be in serious jeopardy of losing there seat after this season, (Kimi more because I reckon he's hanging his helmet up after this season F1 wise)

For Schumacher its crucial for him to win the F2 championship for my money, if he loses it to a fellow Ferrari academy driver Ilott or Shwartzman, then as I said I don't see how Schumacher can be promoted to F1 after this season unless Alfa take on Schumacher plus Ilott/Shwartzman - if either win the F2 championship.

Obviously agree with your point of winning F2 doesn't guarantee a route to F1, (did laugh at the non-continuance bit you put though as it is true) but for me I think Shwartzman's got good potential, I mean the kid won F3 last season in his debut season he's moved upto F2 and already he has a shot of winning the championship there...I mean if he pulls it off that puts him he'll be only the 3rd driver to win both at the first attempt and when you consider that would be putting him on a list with Leclerc & Russell I don't see how he can't be a serious contender for an F1 seat next year. (should he win F2 of course)

With Tsunoda your likely right, but I think it'll be more the case Honda will be putting him into Alpha Tauri rather then Horner & Marko (engine supplier politics), even if he isn't ready for the step up, but first he's needs to finish top 3 in the championship to get enough super license points.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Anyway got a bit sidetracked as for the race well what can you say, while the result up top was expected Merc 1-2 - there were plenty more talking points.

Firstly pretty massive for Albon that podium if he hadn't had got it that would have only increased the focus on his seat next year & pressure on him at RB which was at Jupiter style gravity levels after Gasly's win last week.

With the start well Hamilton was very lucky that Mad Max had another engine issue as, without that with the start Hamilton had he would've been 3rd maybe even 4th as Leclerc also had a great start and was on his way to passing Hamilton before T1, it was only Mad Max being in his way he had to get off the throttle.

After T1 to many cars in to small a space and there was always going to be a crash at that point, and then you had Sainz getting spun round right in front of Seb who just had nowhere to go.

But then the biggest talking point of course has to be the bunched up SC restart which caused 5 cars to retire on the spot, firstly I wouldn't blame Bottas as the SC lights went off very late and he had no option other then to wait until the start/finish line before bolting, but before that happened some in the midfield tried to gamble and it backfired massively.

When I was watching the replays of some of the onboards of those involved and seeing the carnage unfold, I honestly thought I was watching a scene from a codemasters F1 game where the AI hasn't been properly programmed it was that surreal to me, as I honestly can't remember the last time there was a pile up of that size on a straight of all things.

Ultimately I think if was a case of monkey see monkey do, once the first driver bolted the one behind him naturally thinks 'its go time' as well and proceeds to put foot down, then the driver after that does the same and so on etc.

Another major talking point from the race Botta's asking to be put on opposite tyres to Hamilton, now that was a surprise, we might just be seeing the first signs of Bottas finally getting properly fedup of being beat by Hamilton regularly, and what I hope this is the beginning of there working relationship deteriorating and turning more into what Rosberg/Hamilton was.

Though the sceptic in me is Merc will do everything in there power to ensure that Bottas gets back in line, as things man management wise have been quite easy for them for the past 3 and a half years as Bottas has been the perfect 2nd driver not just for Merc but Hamilton as well.