2021 Bahrain GP

Who will win the race?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So the start of the F1 season is finally upon us, after pre-season testing there is actually a serious belief that RB have somehow got the fastest car heading into this weekend, sure I can understand why there is that belief for a lot of us its probably a case of 'we ain't buying it'.:LOL: As we've seen occasions were Merc looked to be in trouble and on the backfoot heading into the races, but low & behold they & Hamilton just end up on pole like normal and win the race in a relatively comfortable fashion.

What I hope is that RB are somehow on a par at least with Merc and we'll have a proper championship battle this season, as for what I expect for this race I think the most likely scenario is Merc & Hamilton have a slight advantage over RB & Mad Max, though if we really took testing at face value if Merc somehow are still as bad as they were then potentially they could be battling McLaren, of course its highly unlikely (like 1 in 100) and that is probably the worse case scenario for Merc.

Heres Pirelli's preview:
1616561502043.png

As for elsewhere its a big season for several drivers for different reasons, mainly - Bottas, Perez, Schumacher.

Bottas - Well its literally WDC or bust for him at Merc, he knows he's likely for the chop if he has another season like he did last year and with Russell waiting in the wings, Bottas is simply in a must win WDC situation this season to retain his Merc seat.

Perez - Without doubt this is Perez's big chance like Bottas on a one year contract, unlike him though I don't the expectation or pressure is on him to win the WDC, if he keeps Mad Max honest and on pace with him for a good chunk of the season and most importantly delivers the results then, theres no reason why he couldn't keep his drive at RB

Schumacher - I think Schumacher is sort of caught inbetween a rock and a hard place, I genuinely don't understand why Ferrari sent him to Haas the best option would've been Alfa and partnering him with Raikkonen, (and in turn Giovanazzi to Haas to be team leader there) Raikkonen would have been the perfect driver for him to learn from and help him with his development in his rookie season and there would've been a lot less pressure and expectation.

As just an observation watching Schumacher raise through the ranks he's not a driver I would say that has that raw natural talent, it takes him a bit of time to learn and properly get up to speed and just in F3 & F2 alone it was a case of 2 seasons in each before he won those championships.

So for him to be alongside Mazepin at a team who will be at the back, and relying rookie drivers with no past F1 experience to improve there car is a dumbfounding decision, its why Giovanazzi who's in his 3rd full season (& 5th in total in F1) would have been the best solution to go to Haas and allowing Schumacher to Alfa if would have been the best decision for all parties.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Todays practice results:
1616776407102.png

1616776492166.png

Definitely promising signs, but I don't know about you guys but I think I'll only believe the field is actually this tight if its like this after qualy.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Well we should have a good race for the win on our hands and hopefully a championship battle between Mad Max & Hamilton that'll last the whole season.

Expecting and hoping to see Mad Max & Hamilton go at it, but you have to believe Merc will likely have the advantage of a 2 v 1 strategy situation, so RB will need Perez to try get to the front as quickly as possible.

Though its going to be pretty windy there and that might effect some cars more then others, we've seen drivers lose the rear a few times over testing and this weekend and windy conditions certainly won't make the cars more stable lol.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Well that was a great race looks like we are finally going to get a Hamilton Vs Verstappen fight in similar cars Red Bull seems to have the edge over 1 lap but Merc was very close on race pace I expect it will come down to whichever team wants to develop the 2021 car for the longest hopefully they both keep going and we end up with a 2008/2009 scenario where they concentrate so much on this year that they slip back with the new cars next year, fingers crossed.

As for the rest of the field Ferrari have made a big step and now look to be in a fight with McLaren for 3rd best team while Aston and Alpine have slipped back Aston obviously because of the low rake and Alpine I expect will switch development to 2022 very early, Alonso looked to be back without any rust though so that's a positive.

Alpha Tauri have made a step forward and may challenge Alpine and Aston while Alfa Romeo have also improved I don't think its enough to get any higher than 8th but they should score a few more points.

Haas as everyone expected are at the back and Williams will just want to score a couple of points and make sure they don't get surprised by Haas scoring in a crazy race.

Overall its looking like a very close season all through the field just wish it wasn't 3 weeks until the next race.

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
I mean you weren't since you said Merc 1-2 and they were 2-3 in qualy and 1-3 in the race and you said Hamilton would be on pole and he was 2nd so you were wrong on both counts. :cool:

he won the race which is what I was insinuating

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
I mean you weren't since you said Merc 1-2 and they were 2-3 in qualy and 1-3 in the race and you said Hamilton would be on pole and he was 2nd so you were wrong on both counts. :cool:
Don obviously changed his prediction after qualy, and meant a Hamilton 1 Verstappen 2.;)

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Anyway that was a great race yesterday and its been a very long time it feels like since I've seen a Mercedes getting properly hunted down legitimately.

I only hope that the pace between Merc & RB stays the same as while the RB does seem quicker for qualy (it was only 1 qualy session though) but as for the race and race pace between the 2 it was clearly equal, but with a 3 week gap to the next race now my biggest fear is that Merc will just find a chunk of pace and once again we'll be denied a proper season long fight.

As for the other things in the race, Bottas got the short end of the stick on strategy with being brought in a couple laps after Hamilton and then having that terrible pitstop, before that happened he was actually catching Hamilton and having a good race, as for Perez he did great considering he started from the pitlane and had he started 11th he might have got a podium.

McLaren pretty much got the maximum & Ferrari look like there back as a top 4/5 team, though someone I was very impressed with this weekend was Tsunoda it was only one weekend/GP of course but the signs are there that Japan may very well have a future star on there hands.

Alonso was doing well in the opening stages, but the Alpine seems to be lacking a bit of race pace, Alfa were slightly better then I thought they would be as for Aston M there bang in the midfield though, Williams do indeed seem to have jump Haas (comfortably) as for young Schumacher he did as well as he could in the circumstances, though he will likely be at stuck at the back all season long it seems like.

Lastly to mention Seb he was having an ok race considering he was on the only 1 stopper, but the crash into Ocon was poor by him, for now he'll have the benefit of it being a new team, adjusting to a different car with a lack of laps in testing and new surroundings etc, but that goodwill from AM & Stroll senior won't last forever, but I hope by Barcelona (round 4) that he'll be fully upto speed.