• ANNOUNCEMENT: Sign-ups are OPEN for Season 22 of the AOR F1 Leagues on F1 2021!
    They are closing on 6th August, so be sure not to miss out! Head to apexonline.racing to sign up!

2021 British GP

Will anyone starting in the top 10 for the Sprint race dnf in it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So F1 returns this weekend at Silverstone, but its no ordinary F1 GP weekend as Saturday will see the first ever sprint race instead of qualifying to determine the grid for Sunday's race, honestly I'm not expecting much from a sprint race and I'd be surprised it there is any big changes of position between the front drivers (barring the start and first few corners) by the end of it, as theres nothing really to be gained and far to much to lose for those who start in the first 3-4 rows.

But I guess looking at the positive while this weekend goes against the pure fundamentals of an F1 GP, at least this format should provide more action then normal with qualy friday, sprint saturday & race sunday.

Anyway heres Pirelli's track preview for this weekend:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Yesterday Liberty unveiled what next year's car should look like in general:

And just out of interest I'll ask some of our esteemed members for their opinion/first thoughts on the next year's car - Judges: @iJokeri22 @Bankai @Steve Jackson @Erti147 @Browneskiii

My opinion - has the look of an indycar, though that front wing looks massive I can easily see the end-plates getting damaged/destroyed at first corners for the start of races.

(And bonus question for any of you who already own the new F1 2021 game - have they got the sprint race format in the game already?)

Bankai

PSF1 League Runner & Pad Hack God
Staff member
F1 Coordinator

And just out of interest I'll ask some of our esteemed members for their opinion/first thoughts on the next year's car - Judges: @iJokeri22 @Bankai @Steve Jackson @Erti147 @Browneskiii

My opinion - has the look of an indycar, though that front wing looks massive I can easily see the end-plates getting damaged/destroyed at first corners for the start of races.

(And bonus question for any of you who already own the new F1 2021 game - have they got the sprint race format in the game already?)
I like the concept, but will reserve judgement until the reveals next season.

have they got the sprint race format in the game already?
No.

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Premium Member
beginning to look like Formula E wings lol

sprint race a think will be ***** = just a spoiler to the main race. If a driver is thinking of gan for an overtake in sprint, they might think well, no point, might just get him off the grid tomorrow. only way sprint will be gid is if someone messes up quali and has to come through the sprint race field

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member

Personally I love the look of the new cars the current ones looks really ugly imo with all the sharp edges and massive bits of **** hanging from them these new ones are a lot smoother and more flowing and if they make the racing better then its a win win.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
sprint race a think will be ***** = just a spoiler to the main race. If a driver is thinking of gan for an overtake in sprint, they might think well, no point, might just get him off the grid tomorrow. only way sprint will be gid is if someone messes up quali and has to come through the sprint race field
Well no one really messed up qualy and I think this will be the issue the sprint race will face today, without doubt for those starting towards the front the risks far outweigh the actual reward on offer and those in the top 10 will have less incentive to try overtake as well, and its more likely that Hamilton & Verstappen especially will be less aggressive at the start as they have the most to lose - sure I don't doubt that they'll want to 'win' today but its only 3 points on offer with 2nd getting 2 (& 3rd - 1 point), only those towards the back will likely go gung-ho and provide any action.

But on the flipside a real flaw I would say with this format is for anyone who has had qualified in the back 3 rows yesterday (15th or lower) then I would deliberately break parc ferme rules and take the hit of starting from the back or pit lane even in the Sprint, to solely work on maximizing my car for race pace during FP2, as clearly there cars aren't where they need them to be (barring Haas), I think the trade off would be more then worth it considering how tight the midfield is current & especially for someone like Stroll, who yesterday was struggling big time with the handling of his car AM basically had to take a wild swing in setup for him going into qualy and as it didn't pay off, common sense says why not just take the hit at this point.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member

I knew I was right about that front wing....

I see @Bankai already answered the question about the game, no. But we could do a custom session and run a 25% race before the 50%. Not quite the ratio but would have the desired effect. Only other option would be a 5 lapper.

Wasn't expecting much from the Sprint Qualifying but ended up pleasantly surprised. Might need a tweak or two but I can see it being a shake up for a few races each year if they vary it. Drivers seemed to like it to having 3 practice sessions.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Quite a strange thing yesterday watching a F1 race that wasn't a race in the normal sense, though my first impression of a F1 sprint race I'd give it 5 out of 10 though it for me it definitely dragged on to long, think they would be better off reducing it to 10 laps or 25% of the actual race distance as the front positions were set in stone after lap 1. (but one positive out of it, at least I got the poll question right!)

Anyway so Verstappen ends up taking 'pole' though Hamilton & Merc seem definitely close enough to make a race of it and they'll have the luxury of having a 2 v1 with Perez starting last so I'd be very surprised if Bottas isn't used in some way shape or form to try force Verstappen/RB's hand strategy wise if Verstappen is leading, if I was in Verstappen shoes though he has to focus on beating Hamilton first & foremost and if that meant losing the race win to Bottas (who would likely be on a alternate strategy) to guarantee finishing ahead of Hamilton then so be it, as it this stage Bottas is a long way behind points wise and not really in contention for now.

For Hamilton he'll need to either A. repay the favour from yesterday by getting the better start then Verstappen however if he doesn't get the jump then B. try and do something different on strategy whether thats an early undercut or doing a 2 stop, as another 2nd to Verstappen and that points gap is hitting 40.

Elsewhere Ferrari look to be the 3rd fastest as Leclerc wasn't losing to much time to the front 3 in the sprint race, though whether this was down to the Ferrari being better suited to lower fuel and being able to push the whole race is the only really question, as the McLaren pair seemed to be a bit off them even once they got ahead of Alonso, of course it'll be interesting to see how far up Perez gets and whether Russell can finally break his Williams points duck, though lastly and its not really been mentioned will there be any tyre issues again as its going to be the hottest day of the GP weekend so far...

Wasn't expecting much from the Sprint Qualifying but ended up pleasantly surprised. Might need a tweak or two but I can see it being a shake up for a few races each year if they vary it. Drivers seemed to like it to having 3 practice sessions.
The jury's kind of out for me, if you take away the start battle between Hamilton & Verstappen a combo of two things made it just about entertaining enough - 1. Alonso having the start to end all starts by gaining 6 places and then because of being on the softer compound of tyres, pace wise he was like a cork in a bottle and 2. Sainz having the contact with Russell which sent him off and down to like 16th & then making some passes happen due to a decent pace advantage against those he was fighting.

Had Alonso gained only a couple places instead and the Sainz off not happened then it would've been pretty dull (with the Perez spin being the only notable thing) off course Silverstone these days doesn't tend lean towards producing overtaking so maybe the 2nd and 3rd sprint races at a different track may be genuinely better, but I at least hope in one of the remaining 2 that after the start theres very little change in positions gained/lost as that'll be the real acid test for the sprint race and whether it truly merits to become a part of the sport.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Don't know about you guys but I definitely had mixed thoughts on todays race, obviously theres one massive talking point which will without doubt be talked about for the foreseeable future.

Of course people will have theres arguments that both drivers could or should have done things differently, though I think the reason why Hamilton was rightfully penalized (my opinion) in this instance was that he didn't/couldn't hold the inside line or stay close to the apex at copse and even after the contact with Verstappen he still went wide (despite Hamilton turning right the whole time) so you can argue a case of Hamilton ultimately taking too much speed into the turn and understeering based on what I saw during the incident/replays and the immediate aftermath. (though it was a different story when you compare Hamilton's overtake & line he took on Leclerc...)

As for Verstappen he obviously took a line & entry speed that left Hamilton enough room on the inside and would've likely seen him ending up driving on the kerb's on the exit of copse, but by taking that approach your naturally relying on the driver on the inside to hold his line and as we all saw that didn't happen.

With the penalty awarded in the end it wasn't a sufficient enough penalty, it needed to be stop & go rather then just 10 seconds as with only Leclerc ahead, Perez out the picture & Bottas now playing a clear 2nd fiddle role Hamilton was always going to win the race in that scenario, the only surprise was that Hamilton couldn't get ahead of Leclerc during the first stint if he had it would've been a cruise for him, 10sec stop & go instead and Hamilton finishes probably 4th (6th at worse) which would've at least been a fairer points swing in the WDC & WCC as it is Hamilton & Merc are right back in it.

However this is what the 3rd time in two years that Hamilton has hit another driver and there all very similar with him making contact with the driver ahead right rear, he did Albon twice Brazil 2019 & Austria 2020 and now he's done Verstappen, after that today I will reiterate what I've said about him for the past several years, despite the misplaced belief by his fans & some corners of the media that Hamilton is one of the 'cleanest and fairest F1 drivers' the reality is he has the 'dark arts' down to a tee.

Just compare the 2 onboards of Hamilton when he's on the inside when battling Verstappen & Leclerc at copse, he battles Leclerc hits the apex perfectly, battles Verstappen & Hamilton is no where near it...dark arts I'm telling you.

Though for me the real villain(s) of today were the Silverstone crowd (Hamilton fans), as to clearly hear a loud cheer the moment when Verstappen went into the tyre barriers at 160mph (or whatever it was) is absolutely disgraceful and thats a understatement, as my exact words at the time were 'what a bunch of cúnts' and thats exactly what you are if you cheered that, as that was a massive crash and sure while F1 cars normally protect the driver well these days its never a given that a driver will emerge unscathed from a crash & impact like that.

Sure I can/will understand fans cheering when there driver passes someone or when there driver's main rival has misfortune or whatever but to cheer when a driver has a massive crash - like what is wrong with you, I can understand if it was harmless spin or a light crash at slow speed even as its clear the driver is going to be fine in those instances, but for those to be cheering Verstappen's crash today its speak volumes about those kind of people.

The worse thing is we (british F1 fans) are supposedly the best F1 fans in the world apparently but we're clearly the worst, as after that today how can anyone from a british perspective seriously still not understand why we're hated so much when it comes to sports, it because of 'fans' like those cheering a massive crash to a British rival at Silverstone today it just reaffirms what the rest of the world already think of us and we deserve it to be frank because of morons like that - that instant reaction to Verstappen's crash just perfectly sums up Hamilton fans in general, there the worse kind of winners, even worse when they lose and have absolutely zero class.

Last edited: