2021 Portuguese & Spanish GP's

Will Norris still be 3rd in the WDC after the Spanish GP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Its the first double header of the season as the Portuguese GP takes place this sunday with the Spanish GP happening the week after, heres pirelli's preview:
1619655014571.png

The last few days have seen some notable news, firstly there will officially be sprint races at 3 different GP's this season instead of qualifying to determine the grid order for the race, and the Canadian GP has once again been cancelled (due to covid restrictions there) and will be replaced by Turkey.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Shorter DRS zone on the pit straight this year but an extra zone between T4/5 I'm expecting less overtaking which is a good thing cause last year it was way to easy.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Shorter DRS zone on the pit straight this year but an extra zone between T4/5 I'm expecting less overtaking which is a good thing cause last year it was way to easy.
Yeah that was the most surprising thing last year, how easy it seemed to get overtakes properly done before T1, I just hope they haven't shorten the DRS zone too much though.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Thought I had but just noticed I didn't create the poll @iJokeri22 lol, I can still make one but I'll now make it after the Portuguese race.

Anyway I know it was only practice but Merc & Hamilton are looking strong.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Bit of a strange qualifying as the windy conditions definitely played a part in Q3, but a bit of a surprise Bottas taking pole and I had to laugh when they cut to the Merc garage as qualy ended literally no reaction whatsoever by any member in there, something like that makes you wonder the reaction had Hamilton got pole instead...

Either way one of the big question now is how the start will go, as last year saw a bit of a mental start with the starters on the medium tyres struggling to get up to temperature in the first couple laps and the soft runners gaining loads of places, so I will be watching out for Sainz and Ocon 5th & 6th first starting on the soft tyres.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Bit of a strange qualifying as the windy conditions definitely played a part in Q3, but a bit of a surprise Bottas taking pole and I had to laugh when they cut to the Merc garage as qualy ended literally no reaction whatsoever by any member in there, something like that makes you wonder the reaction had Hamilton got pole instead...

Either way one of the big question now is how the start will go, as last year saw a bit of a mental start with the starters on the medium tyres struggling to get up to temperature in the first couple laps and the soft runners gaining loads of places, so I will be watching out for Sainz and Ocon 5th & 6th first starting on the soft tyres.
Apparently its always very windy at this track looks like there's the same head wind on the pit straight as last year but luckily the DRS is 110M shorter so it should put them in a position to overtake without making it an easy drive by.

As for the strategy I would expect both Merc and Red Bull to split their drivers Pireli say they can pit early and go hards or pit late and go softs so there's a lot of strategy options available.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
That was a pretty entertaining GP yesterday, plenty of battles and changes of position there were no doubts that Merc had the better car at Portugal though potentially the combo of the track & windy conditions played in to there hands.

Alpine have obviously made good strides since Imola, McLaren look to still be best of the rest, AM have work to do but it was a decent solid weekend for Seb overall as he beat Stroll (who was running the upgrades) but AM have a fair bit of work to do because potentially there heading backwards to 8th best team, and something that probably won't/didn't garner much attention after the race was the fact Schumacher managed to pass & beat Latifi, and had the pace to catch Russell, a very good drive by Schumacher considering how bad that Haas currently is.

But one of the big takeaways was with the battle for top honours and what seemed to be the power/straight line advantage the Merc had over the RB, however something early on that caught my notice was when they went onboard with Verstappen (when he was behind Bottas), was that he wasn't fully on the throttle going through the last corner however when they went onboard with Hamilton a lap or 2 later, you could hear he was fully on the throttle through the last turn.

And it made a massive difference as Verstappen was around 6 tenths behind Bottas when he exited the last corner yet even with DRS and slipstream he couldn't get within 2 tenths (or close enough to attempt a pass), yet Hamilton when he passed Bottas was about 7 tenths back to begin with, so that last corner made a big difference between Hamilton & Verstappen.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So on to the second race of the double header and heres Pirelli's preview:
1620173579669.png

Have to admit I'm not expecting to much on track action, as over recent years its well known the Catalunya circuit doesn't tend to produce much overtaking, so we're probably relying on strategy to keep things as interesting as possible for the race.

HaiCo

Super Mod & PC F1 / ACC League Runner
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Here's a bit of advertising for a little project I've been working on for a while:

Together with a friend of mine, we've created an F1 related prediction quiz-game. The name of our quiz-game is DNF Predictions.
Every Tuesday/Wednesday before a race, we'll publish the 20 questions for an upcoming race.
The questions can be about a driver, a team, a team principal, different nationalities, flags and many more things.

The quiz/game will start this week with the first 20 questions about the Spanish GP.

The person who at the of the season has collected the most points, will receive a small F1-related prize!
Nothing big, but definitely something you'll appreciate!

Interested? Here is how to join:

1) Go to: <https://dnf-predictions.com>
2) Create an account
3) Login with your account
4) Try the tutorial (suggestion)
5) Click the Spain - Barcelona 7-9 May button to fill out the first 20 questions of the quiz-game

After every race you'll receive an update on the standings. Whenever a new quiz-game is online, you'll receive an e-mail as well!

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
After todays FP sessions its looking like advantage Merc but Verstappen didn't set a proper lap on the softs so its a bit up in the air as to who's actually quicker, though probably the big surprise is potentially how close the likes of Ferrari & Alpine are to Merc & RB over 1 lap, also if the midfield cars have closed the gap more then normal then Merc & RB may not have the luxury to try qualify on a harder tyre for Q2, either way things are shaping up nicely for a close weekend.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
By Spanish GP standards that was a very good race to watch, not just because of the strategy but with a bit of actual overtaking for the lead and throughout the field.

I think the only question that RB & Verstappen will be asking after that race was could they have pitted the lap after Hamilton made his second stop and kept the lead? The gap between them was around 23 seconds I think I saw when Verstappen stayed out - it would've been close but equally another poor stop by RB would've definitely seen Verstappen exit behind Hamilton, either way its clear this race came down to fine margins and right now Merc have the slightly faster car over RB.

But without doubt the next race at Monaco is pretty important for RB & Verstappen they need to bring that gap down to Hamilton, as should he win again then suddenly there already looking at being around a race win behind in points almost.

Elsewhere Bottas was getting it in the neck a bit for not letting Hamilton by straight way, to be fair to Bottas he could have made his life alot harder if he really wanted like defending against Hamilton properly but he had his own race to focus on, still though already looking like he's going to be made into a number 2 driver even earlier this time.

Leclerc and Ferrari can be happy with there days work, as can McLaren to a lesser extent, Alpine looking currently like there car is a better at qualy then it is in the race, and as for AM a small improvement from Portugal last week.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
I think the only question that RB & Verstappen will be asking after that race was could they have pitted the lap after Hamilton made his second stop and kept the lead? The gap between them was around 23 seconds I think I saw when Verstappen stayed out - it would've been close but equally another poor stop by RB would've definitely seen Verstappen exit behind Hamilton, either way its clear this race came down to fine margins and right now Merc have the slightly faster car over RB.
Mercedes had 2 sets on medium tyres before the race while Red Bull only had 1 so if Verstappen had pitted he could either go softs which would die before the end or hards which no one used all race because they were slow as **** so basically as soon as Hamilton pitted the race was over.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Mercedes had 2 sets on medium tyres before the race while Red Bull only had 1 so if Verstappen had pitted he could either go softs which would die before the end or hards which no one used all race because they were slow as **** so basically as soon as Hamilton pitted the race was over.
Oh thats right I think I remember hearing about how Merc had a extra set of mediums during the race, so yeah guess RB were really limited at that point in available options, hopefully they learn from this.