AC Graphic Guide | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AC Graphic Guide

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Hello all!

for all of you who are experiencing low FPS with a lot of drivers on the grid like some of drivers do in our F3 season, I will present you with a little guide what to try to change in your graphic settings and also other things you can do to make your FPS higher.

It all depends on your PC configuration. If you haven't had any problems during test race in F3, then you are all fine.

For others, here is the stuff.

1. Recording your race
Turn that OFF. I have tried most of the software out there when I recorded my PCARS videos (MSI Afterburner/OBS,...) and only luck I had was with nVidia's Shadowplay. Before that I used MSI Afterburner and the FPS drop was significant. With Shadowplay, I didn't have any problems, but I don't record my AC races now. I tried it and I got FPS drops.

If you streaming, I guess you have powerfull PC so there shouldn't be a problem for you there.

2. Apps
I noticed that if you turn on/off some apps, the framerate changes. When you turn on the app, tramerate drops and vice versa. Some apps, especially not original, can pull a lot of information from AC files to display it to you on screen. For example RaceEssencials give you a lot of info so it means in teeds more calculations.

For a test, try to load into the game, and press "Hide all apps" and vatch your FPS it it increases. It should.

My advice is to run just apps that is necessary for you. If you have some app taht shows a lot of info like laptimes, position, lapcount, revmeter, gear,tyres,etc (like RaceEssentials), you don't need to run tyre app, another lap and positon counter, rev-meter and so on. You get the point.

Confirmed, RaceEssentials or Sidekick apps are very resourcefull and can eat around 30 FPS.

3. Graphic
Here you can make the most progress.

DISPLAY PAGE
  • V-sync
    • turn that OFF. It creates a bit of a input lag and it will not allow your FPS to get higher that your monitor's refresh rate @60Hz, so 60FPS
  • Framerate limit
    • Personally I never used that as I don't know what is it for so I have it turned OFF
  • Anisotrophic filtering
    • For some unknown reason this is apparently unusually intensive so try to lower it down to like x2-x4, maybe even turn it OFF.
  • Anti-Aliasing samples
    • FPS killer, turn that down or even OFF - haven't seen much difference while driving. It softens the egdes of the objects and it is very resource demanding.
  • World detail
    • not much of a difference in quality and FPS loss in my opinion, so you can try different settings here. My suggestion is anything lower than maximum
  • Shadow resolution
    • it has an inpact, i run LOW
EFFECT PAGE
  • Smoke generation
    • Also quite heavy on your PC. turn it to LOW or OFF. Turn OFF smoke in mirrors aswell
  • Post-processing effects
    • If you have problems, one of the first thing to turn off is these effects. Yes, the game looks better with them on, but not that much and it eats FPS. OFF
    • It makes the game and effects look a bit better and realistic, especially glow around lights (like rev lights on steering wheel). The darker stuff is more dark, the brighter is more bright and so on.
  • Crepsular rays, Heat shimmering effects, fast approximate anti-aliasing
    • You guessed it. OFF. you can get away with Fast Approximate anti aliasing maybe
    • it turns on/off additional effects of heat and stuff
VIEW PAGE
nothing dramatic here

REFLECTIONS PAGE
  • Mirror resolution + high quality mirror reflection
    • really not sure how much it affect overall FPS, so leave it on high but turn OFF the mirror reflection
    • UPDATE - Mirror reflection has a huge impact so turn that OFF
  • Reflection quality
    • reduce it to LOW or even to OFF if really necessary.
  • Reflection rendering quality
    • make it static with LOW reflection quality. Or even with medium if you can get away with it.
So this is basicly it. Here are settings that makes the biggest impact on your PC:
Anti-aliasing
Anisotropic filtering
High quality mirror reflection
Post-processing filters (+rays, heat)
Shadow resolution
Reflection quality and frequency

Hopefully it will work for you. I will add a low graphic settings from @exited as he was getting 50-55fps all race on mediocre rig later today.

Here are those settings and they are surprisingly high. So if he can run it, you can aswell with 1gb GPU.
Display1.png Effects.png Reflections.png

@Mazy CZ

Last edited:

Danny Hendriks

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jun 25, 2016
thanks for this info. some of these steps i already did yesterday and saw an slight improvement.shall try the rest of these settings later today when i'm home.

Reactions: Mazy CZ

p n k

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 29, 2015
to be honest the issue is even with my beastly overclocked 970 and 4690k (my 970 outperforms stock 980 by 12%, and my 4690k is at 4.8gHz)
I did a lot of testing, and when I put 30 cars on the road with normal skins the issue was gone. It seems to be the heavy resource skins we are all using...

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
I have gtx970 and i5 3470K and I had 60fps with medium settings no problem yesterday. So I have a bit lower system than you.

As I say, if @exited could run the game, everybody has to aswell.

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
to be honest the issue is even with my beastly overclocked 970 and 4690k (my 970 outperforms stock 980 by 12%, and my 4690k is at 4.8gHz)
I did a lot of testing, and when I put 30 cars on the road with normal skins the issue was gone. It seems to be the heavy resource skins we are all using...
Well, you didn't read the post carefuly then I'm affraid. The first thing I mentioned is not record if oyu have FPS problems. Andrex was recording aswell and he get FPS drops aswell.

So try that. Sadly, if your PC can't hande what you have and are used to with so many cars, then it is your only option to stop recording and loewr the graphic

p n k

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 29, 2015
I have gtx970 and i5 3470K and I had 60fps with medium settings no problem yesterday. So I have a bit lower system than you.

As I say, if @exited could run the game, everybody has to aswell.
Im not saying I could not run it... But playing on 70 frames is not acceptable for me... It is not smooth at all compared to 200+, the car responds later by a margin of miliseconds, but you can feel it...

SilverArrow3

GP2 Test Driver
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for sharing this.

So , at the test race I had an average of 30fps when I had alot of cars around me. It was a bit better when less cars were around , but still to low to run smooth. Also I had screen freezes... Very annoying ...

Didn't change anything before , here is why. To test the skins when first downloaded I loaded a race against the AI , it was stuttering very much. But someone said that it would be fine when we went online.
So a couple of days ago we were doing another fun session , and there we did 1 session in the F3 cars. But that was only 4 guys. Everything was running smooth.

But then yesterday at the testrace with alot more drivers my system had problems. (i7 3.4 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM , GTX 760).

Today I lowered my graphic settings ( almost like OP ) and did a race against the AI at Road America. Now I didn't come lower that 50 fps , and it feels smooth again. And no screen freezes.
Also I removed some apps , and deleted about 30 Gb of mods.

I hope it will be better for me in the next test race , so the settings don't annoy me anymore , but on the other hand , the drivers will ... :p

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Then @SilverArrow3 you should be fine online. the AI is also FPS killer. I loaded 38 cars AI on trak to test pitboxes and stuff and I almost kill my PC. I couldn't move with camera nd it was Sutter's paradise :)

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Im not saying I could not run it... But playing on 70 frames is not acceptable for me... It is not smooth at all compared to 200+, the car responds later by a margin of miliseconds, but you can feel it...
Wow, 70fps not enough. Then it is just your problem. I can't help you more. If you want 100 then lower your settings as I wrote in the OP. It is your fight

p n k

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 29, 2015
Wow, 70fps not enough. Then it is just your problem. I can't help you more. If you want 100 then lower your settings as I wrote in the OP. It is your fight
I know that many guys can have bigger problems and I can sound like a douchebag, but still we could try and optimize the skins too :D

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Yes, why don't we put more work to a guy who did most of the skins and already cut it down like 70% in size rather than doing 5 mouse clicks and can't see a difference in a bit lower graphics :D

• Disagree
Reactions: p n k

p n k

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 29, 2015
We could do it the easy way, or we could optimize it so our beloved skin makers will be even more experienced, and it will remove any issues in the future :)

JamieFoppele

Assetto Corsa Skin Creator
Jan 13, 2014
You are completely right and I take all the blame for this one. All of the liveries consist of 2 seperate skin files, for the body and for the wings, both files are 4K quality. Having about 35 4K liveries on the grid wil certainly have an impact on the performance. I will downsize them all to 2K and get a seperate pack in place for the upcoming test on Monday. You can then keep your own livery, for example, in 4K and make the rest 2K.

This won't cause any server issues, as long as you overwrite the skin you want to downsize.

(Downsizing from 4K to 2K is a decrement from 10,6MB to 2,6MB)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: p n k

p n k

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 29, 2015
You are completely right and I take all the blame for this one. All of the liveries consist of 2 seperate skin files, for the body and for the wings, both files are 4K quality. Having about 35 4K liveries on the grid wil certainly have an impact on the performance. I will downsize them all to 2K and get a seperate pack in place for the upcoming test on Monday. You can then keep your own livery, for example, in 4K and make the rest 2K.

This won't cause any server issues, as long as you overwrite the skin you want to downsize.

(Downsizing from 4K to 2K is a decrement from 10,6MB to 2,6MB)
Sometimes being too good is not the way to go :D 2048x2048 seems fine to me

D. Goelz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
I know i'm late, but I did some testing when i got my new Radeon RX480, which I think is worth to share.
I turned everything to maximum, really everything and did a test race with 35 AI cars on RA. My fps dropped to 20fps at the start (-> Smoke generation) and afterwards it got up to maybe 30-35fps, still too low.
So I decided to uncheck the "High Quality Mirror Reflection" button and instantly got up to 80-90fps. So accordingly this option has a huge huge impact on your fps rate. After that i didn't changed anything and can race all the time with at least more then 80fps with 35 players on- and offline.

Cheers,
Exited

• Informative
Reactions: Noztra and Mazy CZ

D. Goelz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
I know i'm late, but I did some testing when i got my new Radeon RX480, which I think is worth to share.
I turned everything to maximum, really everything and did a test race with 35 AI cars on RA. My fps dropped to 20fps at the start (-> Smoke generation) and afterwards it got up to maybe 30-35fps, still too low.
So I decided to uncheck the "High Quality Mirror Reflection" button and instantly got up to 80-90fps. So accordingly this option has a huge huge impact on your fps rate. After that i didn't changed anything and can race all the time with at least more then 80fps with 35 players on- and offline.

Cheers,
Exited
Forgot to write, that I turned down the quality of the smoke generation aswell, because of the issues at the start. I think I turned it down by one click to the left :)
But thats all, just smoke generation and "High Quality Mirror Reflection". (y)