PC - ACC VR Settings | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC ACC VR Settings

A. Durrant

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 14, 2019
Courtesy of @Shooter80

Summary for both of us:

@Shooter80
PC HW : i9-9900k (hyper threading off in bios - not required), GTX 1080Ti, Rift CV1
90fps 99% time, lowers res scale for bigger races to stablise FPS with bigger grids.
Looks for balance of Max CPU/Thread Usage and GPU core loading, ratio roughly CPU:GPU 50%:75%

@77
PC HW : i5-4690k @ 4.6Ghz (OC), RTX 2070 (stock), Rift CV1
Initial settings implemented as below, limited running but benchmark FPS to be completed tonight.

Comments:
  • Settings to stop 45FPS+ASW situations where possible (obviously dependent on your individual hardware limitations)
  • Resolution: unless streaming, or wanting people to watch your race, lower this to minimum 1024x768 - this is only the mirror window left on your desktop when the HMD is on.
    • My preference will be to disable this entirely as I'm not streaming or anyone needs to watch me race, plus will conserve additional rendering/load.
    • This can be done in "...\Config\vrSettings.json "spectatorScreenMode": 0"
  • Resolution scale and pixel density - set pixel density to 200%, res scale to 50%, therefore leaving 100% per screen on HMD (headset). Res scale can then be increased if your HW can handle it, @Shooter80 runs it at 60%, I'm hopeful to get it at 50% with an older CPU.
  • TIP: With ACC you can now save preset custom graphics settings, so I will be creating one with higher res scale, and one with lower to flick over to quickly on big grid style races.

Any questions let me know, and i'll report back how the settings work on an "older" CPU architecture!

Attachments

Last edited:

A. Durrant

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 14, 2019
Bit of an update after testing yesterday for anything on similar old potatoes like me...

i5-4690k @ 4.6Ghz (OC, vcore 1.3v)
RTX 2070 (stock)
Rift CV1
Res scale / Pixel ratio : 50% / 200%
Settings : all as per above
Logging : HWInfo (cpu & gpu usage), CAM (Nzxt cooling for cpu temp)
Json changes : spectator screen disabled ; fpsvisible enabled

Ran TT Hotstints last night as a test for setup (Nurburbring, 22:00 settings as per TT event for S3).

Following observations:
  • FPS 90 at start, and most of way down pit straight, dropping to 40-45fps at the T1 complex >> @Shooter80 has mentioned this is a common issue on the Nurb release and some potential odd graphics within the game
  • Rest of track 45-90fps, usually dropped in the braking zones >> not helpful when trying to hit a pinpoint turn in!
  • After 45-60mins gaming began getting graphical artifacts on HMD and on main windows display. @Shooter80 pointed me in a few options to take a look at in terms of ensuring GPU isn't overheating or overboosting above supported vcores. Also plan to take a look at firmware in case bios updates bring improved stability. Just hoping the card isn't dying!
  • Log below of HWInfo over a short period, 30-40mins. First 55% log showing hotstint work, top log is CPU thread/usage, bottom is GPU load. Shows GPU working within capabilities, and CPU is spiking a lot.
AD77_log.JPG

• For me, shows that the CPU is OK, but not ideal, and with a more supporting CPU could encourage better loading from GPU and a potential move to 60/200% ratio for pixel density.

oqvist

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 21, 2020
I will try the 50/200 settings. I did all I could running on lowest settings on the oculus rift with my i-7700K at 4,9 Ghz and 2080ti and could not hold a steady 80 fps even without any supersampling. And at those settings it´s just to blurry anyway

A. Durrant

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 14, 2019
I will try the 50/200 settings. I did all I could running on lowest settings on the oculus rift with my i-7700K at 4,9 Ghz and 2080ti and could not hold a steady 80 fps even without any supersampling. And at those settings it´s just to blurry anyway
not sure there are any settings that are perfect to allow a crisp image in ACC, its just too intensive and thats proven by you running a 2080ti and still struggling to get the right balance.

let us know how you get on (y)

D. Goelz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
Courtesy of @Shooter80

Summary for both of us:

@Shooter80
PC HW : i9-9900k (hyper threading off in bios - not required), GTX 1080Ti, Rift CV1
90fps 99% time, lowers res scale for bigger races to stablise FPS with bigger grids.
Looks for balance of Max CPU/Thread Usage and GPU core loading, ratio roughly CPU:GPU 50%:75%

@77
PC HW : i5-4690k @ 4.6Ghz (OC), RTX 2070 (stock), Rift CV1
Initial settings implemented as below, limited running but benchmark FPS to be completed tonight.

Comments:
  • Settings to stop 45FPS+ASW situations where possible (obviously dependent on your individual hardware limitations)
  • Resolution: unless streaming, or wanting people to watch your race, lower this to minimum 1024x768 - this is only the mirror window left on your desktop when the HMD is on.
    • My preference will be to disable this entirely as I'm not streaming or anyone needs to watch me race, plus will conserve additional rendering/load.
    • This can be done in "...\Config\vrSettings.json "spectatorScreenMode": 0"
  • Resolution scale and pixel density - set pixel density to 200%, res scale to 50%, therefore leaving 100% per screen on HMD (headset). Res scale can then be increased if your HW can handle it, @Shooter80 runs it at 60%, I'm hopeful to get it at 50% with an older CPU.
  • TIP: With ACC you can now save preset custom graphics settings, so I will be creating one with higher res scale, and one with lower to flick over to quickly on big grid style races.

Any questions let me know, and i'll report back how the settings work on an "older" CPU architecture!
Did try your settings yesterday, especially the res & vr pixel density thingy and I must say they worked pretty great! I had a lot of settings in the same range, but res scale, vr pixel density and Post processing were different. Before that I was running 100% res scale and 140% pixel density as I had no problem with 45fps ASW.
Had the same problem as you at Nürburgring, as soon as you apporach the stadium section the fps drops to 45fps, no chance.
Other than that, it was possible to get 90fps, need to enable the fps widget again to check while driving how the fps are behaving in braking zones etc. I can see in the Afterburner that I had some drops in fps, but I can't tell where they were on track.

I started with 70% res scale and 200% pixel density and I could hold 90fps for about 20secs than my gpu needed to slow down because it got to 80deg as the usage was at 98%.
So then I decreased the res scale to 65% and my GPU usage droped down to 70% while the picture in the Rift was not noticable worse! Little bit of yaw dropping moment. I think I will settle with 60% as the picture did not get worse, at least I could not notice it and the gpu occupation dropped significantly to 70/200 setting.
Need to check Post Processing, does it affect brake lights like in original AC? In single player I did not notice any difference between high and low setting...

A. Durrant

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 14, 2019
Great! Thanks for reporting back @D. Goelz - the res scale / pixel density was definitely a game changer for me after @Shooter80 told me.

My GPU is nailed now so i'm out of the testing at the moment, :(

Could you post your spec of computer so we have awareness of running specs?

Reactions: D. Goelz

D. Goelz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
Great! Thanks for reporting back @D. Goelz - the res scale / pixel density was definitely a game changer for me after @Shooter80 told me.

My GPU is nailed now so i'm out of the testing at the moment, :(

Could you post your spec of computer so we have awareness of running specs?
I read the res scale and pixel density thingy in the official forum as well, but at first it made somehow no difference for me, but I didn't to extensive testing with it.

I'm running at Ryzen 3700x and a 1080ti with 3333 CL14 RAM.

oqvist

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 21, 2020
not sure there are any settings that are perfect to allow a crisp image in ACC, its just too intensive and thats proven by you running a 2080ti and still struggling to get the right balance.

let us know how you get on (y)
Will try some now. Which json is you modifying?

A. Durrant

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 14, 2019
Only "...\Config\vrSettings.json "spectatorScreenMode": 0" in Documents if you want to disable the spectator screen.

Rest is in game settings.

oqvist

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 21, 2020
I tried some now. I didn´t manage to get the fps metre going. Very well hidden wonder how I found it the first time. But appeared to be almost smooth. Maybe I just can´t deal with 80 fps anymore and visuals was really good and clear at 60 % resolution scale and 200 pixel density. But after a restart of a single player race session I got stutters for whatever reason straight out from pits and it didn´t let go.

Ivarpoiss

Pro Karter
Jan 27, 2020
I read the res scale and pixel density thingy in the official forum as well, but at first it made somehow no difference for me, but I didn't to extensive testing with it.
Same here. x res * 1/x vr res does seemingly nothing. Maybe misaligned and interpolated pixels give people the impression of better AA or something. Maybe it depends on the api, headset, lens and the mapping too. It could help if the render resolution proportionally scaled down all the LOD too. Not sure if it does that or not. Haven't tested the extreme values.

In Pimax, the 100% vr resolution in pixels is actually way higher than the lcd panel resolution of the headset. Something to do with how the lens and the mapping is implemented.

Anyway, the Temporal upsampling is a huge deal when using lowered res.

Last edited:

Shooter80

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
@inkychris you mentioned you didn't have great performance in VR in round 1. Just curious, what hardware are you running?

inkychris

AOR PC GT3 S12 T2 Champion
Dec 9, 2018
Hey, I'm running an i7 4770k OC'd to 4.2? and an 2080Ti with the original HTC Vive. Currently done the 50/200% thing, and i completely disabled AA, 12 opponents. It was feeling reasonable in the practice until enough people joined and then just started microstuttering. I do wonder if it's partly to do with network too but I'm aware this game seems to be fairly demanding!

Shooter80

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
Damn, I'd expect that to work fine at 50/200%, especially with the settings that 77 posted. Although all my experience is with the Rift.

The big hitters for performance are mirror view distance, quality, and resolution (go as low as you can tolerate), and then temporal upsampling and volumetric fog (disable them), then just try to keep car LOD quality and opponents visibility as low as you are you are happy with.

Just curious, but has Windows Game Mode perhaps re-enabled itself? Its terrible in general, but especially bad for VR as it sees the SteamVR processes as not being the game so they get de-prioritised.
1581536973557.png

inkychris

Dec 9, 2018
Looks like it has...! Just turned that off, thanks for the tip. I do also wonder if there are some settings in Nvidia control panel that might help too. Everything is on their defaults at the moment.

Ivarpoiss

Pro Karter
Jan 27, 2020
Hey, I'm running an i7 4770k OC'd to 4.2? and an 2080Ti with the original HTC Vive. Currently done the 50/200% thing, and i completely disabled AA, 12 opponents. It was feeling reasonable in the practice until enough people joined and then just started microstuttering. I do wonder if it's partly to do with network too but I'm aware this game seems to be fairly demanding!
ACC is demanding on CPU too. I'm on Ryzen 1600x and actually bottlenecked by my CPU. 1080p performance is worse than VR in some scenarios. GPU wise Radeon VII < 2080Ti.

inkychris

Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, my assumption was that the CPU was the problem but was hoping I could dial something down to get a manageable experience, although having the number of opponents down low is surprisingly off-putting when there are so many cars so close together!