Advice on buying a gaming PC for Project cars and other racing sims | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Advice on buying a gaming PC for Project cars and other racing sims

dejw_d

AOR PS4 GT3 S10 Tier 3 Champion
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2018
@Camo_C what do you think of these specs? I will be running sims only and probably go for VR.

MoBoMSI B450 TOMAHAWK
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.9GHz
GPUMSI GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G
RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16 GB,3000MHz, CL16
SSDSSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe

This is what I think should do pretty well and be within a reasonable budget.

Alstevens83

Semi-Pro Karter
May 12, 2019
If it was me, I would hand down consider building a PC rather than getting a pre-built one. I did that last year and looked at a lot of youtube videos about what is the best processers, Ram to get for a fairly cheap budget. For example, I've got a Ryzen 5 1600 processor with 8gb of DDR4 ram a 1050ti graphics card 2TB Hybrid hard drive (both a normal hard drive and an SSD rolled into one), does it do the job for F1 2018, Assetto Corsa (and ACC), iRacing, Dirt Rally, Project Cars 2 and a few other none racing titles (It plays the Remake of Resident Evil 2 remarkably well) and throwing in the key for windows and just a basic case you could be looking at around £660, and the good thing is it would give you 80% chance of upgradability down the line.

Here's the list from PC parts picker if you're interested

dejw_d

Premium Member
Apr 26, 2018
I was also on a budget so I was sourcing the best deals for some time. I ended up spending about 750£ for this setup:

CaseSilentiumPC Regnum RG4 Pure Black
PowerSilentiumPC Vero M2 Bronze 600 W SPC166
MoBoMSI B450M MORTAR
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPUPalit RTX 2060 GamingPro OC
RAMBallistix Sport LT, DDR4, 16 GB,3000MHz, CL16
SSDIntel 660p 1TB M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe

I think this is quite a good system for that price and should run with VR also (will probably get a VR headset towards fall).

Reactions: VSR_NICK-NITRO

dejw_d

Premium Member
Apr 26, 2018
Finally you re able to switch to PC ... Nice!!!, i assume no more thursday races? ;-)
Yeah I will probably move to PC completely. Besides PC2 there is so much else to try out.

I do plan on still racing ps4 and pc2 but iracing is becoming very addictive ! Especially with me and a few of the old ps4 guys doing the le mann 24hr next month
Oh that is really awesome. I will probably look into iRacing in the near future as well. Currently I am a bit reluctant because of the cots.

I am also very curious about Raceroom. The game sounds awesome and it has DTM which I just love. So I will be looking for a DTM league and afterwards I will probably look into iRacing.

VSR_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
Yeah I will probably move to PC completely. Besides PC2 there is so much else to try out.

Oh that is really awesome. I will probably look into iRacing in the near future as well. Currently I am a bit reluctant because of the cots.

I am also very curious about Raceroom. The game sounds awesome and it has DTM which I just love. So I will be looking for a DTM league and afterwards I will probably look into iRacing.
Iracing can be expensive with having to buy the tracks and cars, and I have already spent quite a lot on content but Tracks like mid Ohio and road Atlanta are awesome to drive and worth it!! Race starts at 32 mins

dejw_d

Premium Member
Apr 26, 2018
Iracing can be expensive with having to buy the tracks and cars, and I have already spent quite a lot on content but Tracks like mid Ohio and road Atlanta are awesome to drive and worth it!! Race starts at 32 mins
It does look awesome. I keep hearing to go for iRacing all the time from all kinds of people. It seems that costs aside, people really do like it a lot. How long did it take you to get your license to the point where you can drive GT3/GTE?

VSR_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
It does look awesome. I keep hearing to go for iRacing all the time from all kinds of people. It seems that costs aside, people really do like it a lot. How long did it take you to get your license to the point where you can drive GT3/GTE?
I did about 6 races in rookie driving the Mazda and some tt’s the mx5 is really fun to drive and I still do the odd race, you can then do the imsa racing with the dpi and gte cars with your D licence. To do the lms races with lmp1 and 2 you need a C licance.

VSR_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
You need to drive safe and as clean as possible to progress at a good pace and the higher you get your i rating the better drivers you will race against

dejw_d

Premium Member
Apr 26, 2018
I did about 6 races in rookie driving the Mazda and some tt’s the mx5 is really fun to drive and I still do the odd race, you can then do the imsa racing with the dpi and gte cars with your D licence. To do the lms races with lmp1 and 2 you need a C licance.
That seems reasonable. I assumed it would take weeks to get out of the rookie license.

VSR_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
That seems reasonable. I assumed it would take weeks to get out of the rookie license.
Depends how much time you spend on it, I think I did it in just over a week, you can t just do a race then jump straight into another one. Iracing has a very good structured race calendar and all races are scheduled for percific times

Reactions: dejw_d

Pretender

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
I do plan on still racing ps4 and pc2 but iracing is becoming very addictive ! Especially with me and a few of the old ps4 guys doing the le mann 24hr next month
I'll have to keep an eye out for you in the 24hr as going off our PC2 pace we end up in the same split ;) what car you guys running? You racing under an AOR team

Reactions: Camo_C

VSR_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
I'll have to keep an eye out for you in the 24hr as going off our PC2 pace we end up in the same split ;) what car you guys running? You racing under an AOR team
The Ferrari mate but unfortunately I've now had to pull out as I've got a massive job on at work for the next 6 weeks :(

• Sad
Reactions: Pretender