AE86 Corolla RallyCar ReShell - Soooooooo close to paint | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AE86 Corolla RallyCar ReShell - Soooooooo close to paint

Murphy

AOR XB1 GT3 Elite Champion
Oct 14, 2016
Hey guys,

Bought an AE86 Rally Car last summer, but the shell wasn't too good so I'm currently doing a rebuild. Just thought I'd post up my progress with pics and work I've done for anyone who's interested.

Basically going to get her top spec to compete and want to be out in the summer

Okay, to start off here is a picture of the original car being re-shelled
14708107_1475688859124977_8887721701762263745_n.jpg

So now onto the work been putting myself through:banghead:

To start off the first day I took her out the engine blew up so had to totally rebuild it:sick:
IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG

Reactions: DemoN and Def

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
Now onto the start of the re-shell

Starting out with a really clean one I brought back from Australia
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1459.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1461.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG

[DOUBLEPOST=1488204761][/DOUBLEPOST]Got the underneath and all the joins on the inside blasted to leave it easier for seam welding the chassis for stiffness and strength
IMG_1767.JPG

And now, what you see next may not look like much, but believe me, this is hours and hours of work.

IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG
IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG

That's that part done, now I have to make up all of the strengthening plates and brackets and get them welded on.

Till next time(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Def

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
I gotta be honest... I can't see an '86 as anything other than a drift car lol
That said, turning one into a rally beast is something different and I look forward to seeing the progress (y)

Reactions: Murphy

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
Looking forward to the next steps :)

I'm not too familiar with automotive parts vocabulary so I can't really ask the things I wanna ask but at some point I will. Good luck Sgt Murphy ! ;)

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
Now for the reinforcing of suspension brackets and skids for the chassis to take the stress of all the hard cornering, and of course the jumps she will be going through :wtf:

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

No work tonight, but Indycar at Laguna Seca instead:woot:

Chiraq

AOR's 'Finest' Driver
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016
Really exciting. I will keep track of this surely. Keep the work going :)(y)

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
I've done a bit more since the last time (y)

To start I have finished off the skids underneath the car, the outer ones are mainly for stones and other hard object so that the floor of the car doesn't rip, inner ones on the chassis legs are for when the car bottoms out and hits the ground to keep them in good-ish nick.
IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

Due to the higher stress the suspension will be going through, this, in turn will put more stress on the actual top mounts of the struts so these had to be reinforced also.
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG

To increase the rigidity of the front legs i have put in some reinforcement on them aswell
IMG_1889.JPG

That is basically all of the reinforcing/extras that have to go on. There will probably be a few other small things but just want to get the big annoying things out of the way first.

Finally for this weeks installment :rofl:
Got the roll cage out of the old car and have set it into place. Can't bolt it in just yet as I have extra bars to weld in for safety and plates which the cage bolt to which are also a safety aspect.

Starting to take shape though with the cage in :drool:
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG

Till next time (y)

SteveO916

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 20, 2016
are you having to make all this up as you go along or are there specific regs that tell you where you have to reinforce stuff?

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
are you having to make all this up as you go along or are there specific regs that tell you where you have to reinforce stuff?
No there are no regulations that you have to do it. Technically you could just bolt a cage, seats, harnesses etc...etc... into standard car and rally no problem.

This is the way a proper factory/race team rally car would have been built back in the day. It will give the car alot more value if I was to ever sell it in the future, and also with all these addons, even though there will be extra weight there will not be as much flex in the shell meaning that the suspension will work more efficiently thus corners will be taken quicker.

In the event of (touch wood) having an accident everything I have done will leave the car far safer aswell

• Agree

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
inner ones on the chassis legs are for when the car bottoms out and hits the ground to keep them in good-ish nick.
Smart, I wouldn't have thought about that.

Starting to take shape though with the cage in :drool:
Keep calm lol but gotta agree just the cage and it looks already like a rally car :rofl:
What mechanical parts of the original AE86 Rally Car are you keeping (if any, as you want her to be top spec) ?

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
@Def original.lol.not very much.

I still have some work to do at the engine, the only thing that will be standard about it will be the shape of it. All internals are different and the original fuel injection systems will be scrapped for throttle bodies and mappable managment system.
Gearbox will be changed out for a quaife motorsport dog gearbox. Will go sequential someday but money is getting tight on this one.lol
Rear axle will be changed for a heavy duty one I have which will take more abuse
Brakes are bigger
Suspension is uprated
Exhaust is uprated for better flow.

Really the only standard stuff is the general look of the car like lights and doors etc...etc... except the side/rear windows which are going to be polycarbonate Oh and the bonnet, wings and bootlid will all be fibreglass

• Informative

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
@Def original.lol.not very much.

I still have some work to do at the engine, the only thing that will be standard about it will be the shape of it. All internals are different and the original fuel injection systems will be scrapped for throttle bodies and mappable managment system.
Gearbox will be changed out for a quaife motorsport dog gearbox. Will go sequential someday but money is getting tight on this one.lol
Rear axle will be changed for a heavy duty one I have which will take more abuse
Brakes are bigger
Suspension is uprated
Exhaust is uprated for better flow.

Really the only standard stuff is the general look of the car like lights and doors etc...etc... except the side/rear windows which are going to be polycarbonate Oh and the bonnet, wings and bootlid will all be fibreglass
Keep posting dudes my interest is growing everytime (y)
Back when I was 5-7 years younger my dad was always working on mechanics parts, fine tuning or repairing some stuff (he has a Quality job at Peugeot Citroen and in his free time enjoy messing up with everything related to engines or cars) I often skipped because I prefered playing F1 but I'm catching up time now. You're kinda like my forum dad :lol: lol jk but I enjoy talking about stuff like this even if I don't have the best knowledge (I'm more into engines than bodywork myself)

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
I have had to fully sacrifice my old BMW track car.:cry:

It was a sad day for the parish, but at least I have loads of seamless roll cage pipe to finish the AE86 cage.:)

The wee BM in her glorious days of use
Lost 2nd gear in the above video and she kept jumping out of it.
BM.jpg

This was like a scene from saw:rofl:
IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
Iv'e been a bit slack lately and dragging my feet to do work, but, finally scampered my way back into the garage to do a bit more.

Have all of the cage points made up and welded in place.
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

Next was to sort out a problem with the exhaust.
When I had the car out in it's old form whenever I hit a jump and then bottom out the exhaust manifold was hitting the ground as it was physically lower then the rest of the car. In the end the manifold actually cracked and I lost a lot of power.

To fix this I have put in an exhaust tunnel which will allow me to modify my exhaust and have it sitting higher in the car...therefore no broken manifold. :)
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG

And finally for todays episode:D
Was searching the internet and came across a picture of the mighty Corolla Twincam back in 1991 in its old rally days. This picture is whats keeping me going at the moment and will I go back to white or stay yellow???? Roughly 3 - 4 weeks off getting a lick of paint so will have to decide soon.
IMG_1985.JPG

Last edited:

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
Okay guys, whilst I am doing all the little stupid bits there is no point posting them up until thy're all done, but......
I am quite stuck as to what kind of sticker/colour scheme to put on the car.

I have included some base files of the AE86 outlines if any of you want to give me a bit of input.

Getting close to paint now and I'm drawing a blank on what to do. All help appreciated :happy:

ae86 outline.jpg

Attachments

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
Okay guys, whilst I am doing all the little stupid bits there is no point posting them up until thy're all done, but......
I am quite stuck as to what kind of sticker/colour scheme to put on the car.

I have included some base files of the AE86 outlines if any of you want to give me a bit of input.

Getting close to paint now and I'm drawing a blank on what to do. All help appreciated :happy:

View attachment 22531
I print them and if I have an idea I'll use color pens or sth (y)

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
I done this quickly one day of some sticker designing software I'm still learning called Flexisign10
IMG_1904.JPG

Not the best work ever done.lol.

Want to keep the bumpers black, but anything else can be changed
[DOUBLEPOST=1494240013][/DOUBLEPOST]I have the machine for cutting the stickers out, but just need to spend a bit more time learning how to use it

• Informative

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
@Def the AE86 even though its the pop up headlight type is in Forza 6 if you have it to design.

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
@Def the AE86 even though its the pop up headlight type is in Forza 6 if you have it to design.
I don't own this game unfortunately :dead:
When would you like me to post the design ? I think I'm going to get a general idea on paper and then move on to the software you mentioned at some point this week (y)

Murphy

Oct 14, 2016
I don't own this game unfortunately :dead:
When would you like me to post the design ? I think I'm going to get a general idea on paper and then move on to the software you mentioned at some point this week (y)
Whenever you want to. About 2-ish weeks until I'm ready for the paintshop so anytime.

• Informative