AOR America F1 2019 Leagues - Discussion Thread - Season 4 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR America F1 2019 Leagues - Discussion Thread - Season 4

Mo#9991

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Dec 14, 2017
AOR Hype Energy America F1 Leagues - Season 4
XB1/PS4/PC - Discussion Thread

This thread can be used for general league discussion by all drivers who have signed up - or want to sign up - to the AOR America F1 2019 Leagues for Season 4.

If you have read the information/rules threads, but still have some questions or concerns, then feel free to raise them here and we will try to answer. This is to keep the sign-up threads clean.

If you haven't yet read the important threads, please do so:

League Information
League Rules
Race Calendar

Illicit

S18 AOR PC F11 Champion
Apr 1, 2019
@Mo#9991 any chance the top split will have all assists disallowed, including racing line? Or will we just have to wait and see the number of sign ups?

Mo#9991

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Dec 14, 2017
@Mo#9991 any chance the top split will have all assists disallowed, including racing line? Or will we just have to wait and see the number of sign ups?
It's unknown at this moment. We'll see who uses what in the coming weeks.

Zephyr

Formula Karter
May 11, 2017
It's unknown at this moment. We'll see who uses what in the coming weeks.
I would personally prefer everything to be banned. Racing line is an advantage for drivers using it, especially in wet/mixed conditions, where it lets you know exactly where you can brake in those conditions.

ChandlerSeita1

S18 AOR XB1 America F1 Champion
Mar 12, 2018
I would personally prefer everything to be banned. Racing line is an advantage for drivers using it, especially in wet/mixed conditions, where it lets you know exactly where you can brake in those conditions.
tbf tho to the ones that use it it isn’t always the best Line. Japan there’s 3 tenths in the first sector if you take a better line than the line. There’s really no advantage besides those mixed conditions. If anything tho overall it’s more of a disadvantage.

Zephyr

Formula Karter
May 11, 2017
tbf tho to the ones that use it it isn’t always the best Line. Japan there’s 3 tenths in the first sector if you take a better line than the line. There’s really no advantage besides those mixed conditions. If anything tho overall it’s more of a disadvantage.
Taking the racing line is slower in a lot of cases. The advantages is mainly braking points. There is no disadvantage to using it, all it does is give you more information than someone not using it. Knowing the track, the lines, where to brake is a skill and my biggest gripe with AOR is allowing RL. Every other league ive been a part of bans all assists.

Reactions: BLIN-MACHINE

Mo#9991

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Dec 14, 2017
Taking the racing line is slower in a lot of cases. The advantages is mainly braking points. There is no disadvantage to using it, all it does is give you more information than someone not using it. Knowing the track, the lines, where to brake is a skill and my biggest gripe with AOR is allowing RL. Every other league ive been a part of bans all assists.
The main issue is that the America League doesn't have much interest compared to other larger leagues. Given the minimal amount of people interested, if we ban all assists, it may turn away people that aren't interested in not using an assist such as racing line; then the league may be effectively nonexistent. In contrast, the EU league is much larger and given there are more people who don't use racing line or auto gear, we can have the top tiers that completely ban them. If that makes sense...

That being said, if there are clearly enough people to have a competitive top tier with 0 assists allowed, then it may very well be possible it becomes reality.

Bobino12

Formula Karter
Aug 5, 2016
Drivers using racing line are not aware that they are slower than if they would switch it off. I removed the racing line when playing F1 2016 and after a short time, i realized that I was faster because I got used to check for any details around the track helping me finding the best braking point. If you decide to take a late apex into a corner, the racing line is useless and could even be distracting. So then, I don't care about those who keep using it because I'm pretty sure the drivers who are actually quicker than me are not because of that.

Reactions: Zephyr

Zephyr

Formula Karter
May 11, 2017
Drivers using racing line are not aware that they are slower than if they would switch it off. I removed the racing line when playing F1 2016 and after a short time, i realized that I was faster because I got used to check for any details around the track helping me finding the best braking point. If you decide to take a late apex into a corner, the racing line is useless and could even be distracting. So then, I don't care about those who keep using it because I'm pretty sure the drivers who are actually quicker than me are not because of that.
As discussed above, my biggest issue is in mixed conditions, where the racing line can be very advantageous to judge braking points as the game automatically calculates exactly how far you would need to brake in any weather condition. I dont believe that following the racing line makes someone faster, its just the extra little info like the braking points is what you can gain from it.

Reactions: Bobino12

ChandlerSeita1

S18 AOR XB1 America F1 Champion
Mar 12, 2018
The main issue is that the America League doesn't have much interest compared to other larger leagues. Given the minimal amount of people interested, if we ban all assists, it may turn away people that aren't interested in not using an assist such as racing line; then the league may be effectively nonexistent. In contrast, the EU league is much larger and given there are more people who don't use racing line or auto gear, we can have the top tiers that completely ban them. If that makes sense...

That being said, if there are clearly enough people to have a competitive top tier with 0 assists allowed, then it may very well be possible it becomes reality.
Exactly. It also would make the racing less competitive I think. I do no line, good at it. But if line was forced off half of the league would be so much slower reducing the competitiveness. The time to turn lines off for leagues is in between games, not during a time like this. Not enough time for people to learn the line and race confidently.

Illicit

S18 AOR PC F11 Champion
Apr 1, 2019

The issue with only the top leagues having 0 assists is that there are going to be people with aren't quick enough to be in the top 3 leagues, but still race with 0 assists. You'll have them placed in leagues with people who aren't necessarily on their skill level, but can keep up and potentially win because of their assists. I guess it just depends on what way AOR want to go in regards to how their leagues are run.

Speaking from personal experience, I wasn't necessarily faster with the racing line, but I was definitely more consistent, at least until I put the time in to really learn the tracks. Like @Zephyr said, it's incredibly useful in the wet and can give you a huge advantage of knowing exactly where to brake every single time. As someone who used the line for a majority of last season, I can definitely attest to this. I think there's definitely a case to be made that the top tier league should have all assists banned for drivers that want a realistic experience. I'd also like to see a cockpit cam only league. I know I'll be in the minority here by saying this, but the t-cam is an assist and it shouldn't be allowed for competitive racing.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Zephyr

Zephyr

Formula Karter
May 11, 2017
The issue with only the top leagues having 0 assists is that there are going to be people with aren't quick enough to be in the top 3 leagues, but still race with 0 assists. You'll have them placed in leagues with people who aren't necessarily on their skill level, but can keep up and potentially win because of their assists. I guess it just depends on what way AOR want to go in regards to how their leagues are run.

Speaking from personal experience, I wasn't necessarily faster with the racing line, but I was definitely more consistent, at least until I put the time in to really learn the tracks. Like @Zephyr said, it's incredibly useful in the wet and can give you a huge advantage of knowing exactly where to brake every single time. As someone who used the line for a majority of last season, I can definitely attest to this. I think there's definitely a case to be made that the top tier league should have all assists banned for drivers that want a realistic experience. I'd also like to see a cockpit cam only league. I know I'll be in the minority here by saying this, but the t-cam is an assist and it shouldn't be allowed for competitive racing.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
I couldnt have said it better myself, i also agree with the t-cam statement.

Zephyr

Formula Karter
May 11, 2017
Exactly. It also would make the racing less competitive I think. I do no line, good at it. But if line was forced off half of the league would be so much slower reducing the competitiveness. The time to turn lines off for leagues is in between games, not during a time like this. Not enough time for people to learn the line and race confidently.
I would argue that this is an easier time to turn off the racing line as people are already familiar with the cars and all they have to do now, is learn the tracks. Doing it in between games is harder as now you have to learn both the new cars and a new way to play.

And I am totally okay if half the league is much slower because of turning off the racing line. If it is making a difference in peoples times, then it is something that should not be allowed for the same reasons that TC and ABS arent allowed. I would say its more competitive if people are showing their true driving skill even if times are slower

Last edited:
Reactions: Illicit

Mo#9991

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Dec 14, 2017
PC Racing Line Discussion... (continued)

What about this for an idea... Instead of banning it outright, we compromise a bit.

Perhaps some races could remove Racing Line and for others, it could be allowed. If we let the reasoning behind using Racing Line be determined by the lack of time to learn a track due to busy lives, maybe short tracks, < 1:20.000?, disallow Racing Line, while longer tracks could allow it? (That 1:20.000 mark was just a random time that felt right, I'm unaware exactly which tracks are above or below that time mark in this season's calendar, for quali at least, so how many races that would be is unknown, it's also possible the determining factor could be by number of turns instead of lap time...)

Or maybe simply first half second half? or alternate?

At the moment, it appears there's a little less than half, 7/16 drivers, that use Racing Line. I feel that's too many to completely abolish the assist, but I'm open for further discussion with the idea of allowing it for some tracks and not others. The main difficulty here is making sure everyone (or at least the racing line group) is aware of which tracks will have the assist allowed so they can prepare accordingly.

Regarding other assists... there's only one feller using AG afaik, so maybe letting that guy use it would be okay :D

BDunk

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jul 7, 2019
Question, you guys say the time trial times have to be recent to submit them. How recent does it have to be specifically? Just so I know which ones I have to update or not