AOR BTCC Season 1 - News & Media

Discussion in '[Forza 5] AOR BTCC Season 1 - League 1' started by Kez, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Kez

Kez iRacing Coordinator Staff Member iRacing Coordinator Premium Member

60%
    AOR BTCC - Season 1
    News & Media

[​IMG]

This thread is an opportunity to show off everything AOR BTCC! Whether that be action photos from the race nights, highlight videos or even news articles, this thread tells the story of the BTCC season and how the season's events have played their part and affected the journey of the 12 protagonists!

You don't need to be Writer or Photographer of the Year, share your stuff below and enjoy the Championship stories!

You can also find video highlights onboard various drivers throughout the season on YouTube:

Kptk92 - www.youtube.com/kptk92
    x Shuffle - www.youtube.com/ShuffleJordan
    McPhilen - www.youtube.com/McPhilenF1
    RickeeyC - www.youtube.com/RickeeyC
    FisiFan91 - www.youtube.com/kokiko22
    oV xB4RDx Vo - www.youtube.com/BuddhasPalace

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    BTCC Season 1 Announced
    [​IMG]

Above: The BTCC has been added to an already impressive list of Championships at AOR

AOR has officially unveiled the British Touring Car Championship, with hopes growing that this won't just be a one season wonder.

The announcement follows the dissolving of the Ferrari Challenge series - which followed on from the RUF Supercup - with the hope that the affordable handling from the multiple cars available to choose from will make this a regular staple on the AOR calendar.

Expect familiar faces to return from the Ferrari Challenge - season Champion xII robo IIx headlines the confirmed driver line-up which already displays an impressive list of talent glistening with touring car experience, who will contest a revised format to benefit the racing and equalise the field.

With six manufacturers confirmed for the BTCC there will be a huge scramble for places, with many drivers and manufacturers expected to announce their intentions in the coming weeks. The first and only test session is anticipated to take place next week, allowing the drivers ample opportunity to find a team for them.

AUTOSPORT says

This is the start of a new era for the BTCC and for AOR, with the organisers confident of a successful format that is here to stay. There will surely be many talking points throughout the season and the upcoming test is the first chance for drivers to familiarise themselves with the machinery. The test will also give the officials a chance to fine tune the setups of the cars before they are homologated, which will surely be a key talking point, not least amongst the drivers that are racing them.

But what the test ultimately will demonstrate is who the key players will be this season. Expect many of the Ferrari Challenge frontrunners to be up to speed relatively quickly, with xII robo IIx and x Shuffle surely the favourites before a wheel is even turned, but the hope of the organisers is that the field spread will get tighter and by season's end the grid will be separated within tenths of each other rather than seconds.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    Ford announce Kptk92 for Season 1
    [​IMG]
    One half of the Ford team has been confirmed with the Kptk92/Motorbase combination

Ford have announced that Kptk92 will race with the Motorbase team in the upcoming BTCC season.

It follows a lengthy period of speculation for both team and driver, with the Focus ST proving popular amongst many of the drivers in the recent test session. It fits one of the many pieces of the jigsaw into place, with many teams expecting to confirm their situations before the season begins next week at Catalunya.

Kptk92 was delighted with the announcement: "There were not many cars out there to choose from for me (in the test session). The Focus is a great handling car and I hope to achieve much success with the team this season."

The Championship looks set to be an epic both on the driver's and the team's battles, with Kptk92's main rivals all electing to race in different cars, and Kptk92 suggested that this would be to the benefit of the sport.

"We'll be going to circuits of varying characteristics and everyone is going to have to reassess their targets every week," he explained. "Some cars will have the upper hand at one circuits, but could then be stuck in the midfield at the next one. Whichever car has the most consistent package all season will reap huge rewards and I think I've made the right choice. The drivers will really need to make the difference when things get tough.

"I can't wait to get going."

The first five rounds at the Circuit de Catalunya begin next Thursday, with Ford expecting to confirm their second driver imminently.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. x Shuffle

x Shuffle Greatest League Setterupper Forza Coordinator

46%
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle teams up with Pirtek Racing
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle was present for a brief shakedown of the car at the Catalunya circuit

In the first BTCC under the AOR governing body, x Shuffle has announced that he will be teaming up with Honda and Pirtek Racing.

Having previously driven under the Honda banner in his long touring car career, x Shuffle will be looking to hit the ground running and put a disappointing Ferrari Challenge season behind him.

"Last season in the Ferrari Challenge was a disaster for me, the season started off brightly, but then mechanical issues put me out of the next two events and left me with no practice time for the third, effectively killing my championship hopes."

The grid has now been decided, with the majority of the grid having raced in the Ferrari Challenge. When asked about who he thought would be the favourite for the crown x Shuffle replied, "I think it's difficult to say, with so many quality drivers on the grid it could come down to the final race of the final event. The five race format should make things interesting and I'm excited to see how races 3 and 5 play out with the being normal grid races but being based on the results of the reverse grid race prior to them."

• Like Like x 1
  5. McPhilen

McPhilen Special Helper Dude Staff Member iRacing Coordinator

45%
    [​IMG]
    Renault Pin Hopes on New Signings
    [​IMG]
    Image shows McPhilen during a one day test at Catalunya National, the home of the first round of the season.

McPhilen is one of a host of drivers who have returned to BTCC after an absence of the series caused by the change in governing bodies. (Previously LRL, now AOR).

Another change is the car of choice for McPhilen. After speculation of joining BMW, and also the potential return for a third season in the Honda, Renault was the car that was settled on. McPhilen, after a very fortunate 2nd placing in the AOR Ferrari Challenge, was granted 2nd spot on the car selection.

When speaking with AUTOSPORT, McPhilen gave his thoughts for choosing the Renault and on leaving Honda. " I felt like my time was up with Honda. I'd never really impressed and I feel like staying with them would have hindered me in the long run. I don't think I would have had a place anyway, based on the recent signing of x Shuffle. The Renault seemed like a good choice. A latecomer to the roster of cars, but after driving it I knew that it had to be."

Whether this new signing will be a winner for Renault it is uncertain, but the driver has proved he has speed on occasion. Making less mistakes could be all that's needed for this team to have a very successful year.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. RickyTan

RickyTan Formula 4 Test Driver

15%
    [​IMG]
    Team RAC sign I RickyTan I
    [​IMG]
    Lucky last minute drive to RickyTan

After obtaining his AOR license in the test session, I RickyTan I found himself a drive with Team RAC in the BMW 1 Series M Coupe.

With no past experience here he is the rookie so to speak so just finishing a race will be an achievement. He doesn’t expect too much from this season as there are some high profiled racers amongst the field. Nonetheless he was quoted as saying, "It'll be sweet if I can beat the other BMW!"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  7. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    Old Rivalries Renewed: BTCC Season 1 Preview
    [​IMG]
    The highly anticipated BTCC season begins in earnest this Thursday with the FWDs expected to perform well

AOR is not afraid to step into the unknown. The governing body of league racing that is designed based on the self-proclaimed idea of close, clean racing has gone through a huge transition of uncertainty and change over the past year but has ultimately come out of it alive and, most importantly, still functioning with it's values intact. The tin-top category has not been down the smoothest route either. The BTCC represents another journey of discovery but - unlike it's RUF and Ferrari predecessors - looks to be one that is spectacular, hard-fought and (most importantly) in line with the AOR philosophy.

The standout appeal of the RUF Supercup was that the car was affordable to run and open to all in a spec class that was all about the driver making the difference. This worked to an extent but an unappealing field spread made this an unattractive venture. The Ferrari Challenge very much produced the same outcome, but possibly alienated even more competitors with the handling deficiencies that the street tyres provided (albeit providing some spectacular sideways action for the watching audience). Something had to change.

The BTCC brings in the best of touring car racing; six different manufacturers are providing chassis of varying characteristics and performances which is a proposition that has drivers and fans alike excited. Not only because there are many stories to tell such as intra-team battles and car performance controversy each week, but because it brings back one of the factors that has been missed in previous racing championships - unpredictability.

FWD vs RWD

The representation of so many manufacturers is a testament to the belief that no matter what car you are driving, you will be competitive. Audi, BMW, Ford, Honda, Renault and Vauxhall have all made entries this season and car performance will be the key headline maker this season as the stewards look to fine tune any flaws or indeed any advantages for the future.

This season is practically an eight-event test session in some ways and there will be teething problems along the way for everybody involved. As in any potential successful touring car championship however, a decent proportion of the grid will be driving rear wheel driven cars. One of the advantages of the rear wheel drive has already been eradicated completely with the removal of standing starts although that won't bother BMW and Audi too much - the 1M and the S3 appear to at the top of the speed traps and will surely be big hitters at some of the lower downforce configurations.

The front wheel drives will be easier to drive however and won't be afraid to lock horns, with the thought of close racing and early lap knocks maybe getting a bit too close for comfort for the RWD entries.

An intense title fight ahead

In terms of quality, one thing that AOR won't need to worry about is the roster of drivers participating this season. There boasts a huge array of talent behind the wheel this season and, after having a quick scan through the driver list, any one of seven or eight drivers could win a race this season easily. The new format allows this - with the grids expected to be more jumbled up from race 2 onwards than in previous formats, an opportunity could be thrown anybody's way and they will be further aided by the shorter race distances. Expect many pleasant surprises this season.

Ultimately though it will be down to speed, and qualifying still matters. Expect the usual quartet of xII robo IIx, x Shuffle, Kptk92 and McPhilen to be up there with oV xS4Mx Vo now on the brink of a major breakthrough following a sterling Ferrari Challenge campaign. Race 1 will often set the scene for the Championship battle this season and right now it is simply too close to call who will take the top honour come season's end. The top four Ferrari Challenge runners will all race for different teams this season although xII robo IIx will arguably have a team mate who has been a proven front runner and that may play to his advantage when push comes to shove in the closing weeks and points need to be taken off of his rivals.

xII robo IIx will go into this season as the Ferrari Challenge Champion against a near-identical grid to the one he won his title against. He may have benefited from unreliability from his closest competitors last time out but his speed is undeniable. x Shuffle probably has the outright speed but will need to be at the top of his game, with the Astra looking to trump the Civic on the straights. Expect the Road Atlanta event to be his defining event. Kptk92 will have his events too but has generally been inconsistent and not delivered a perfect campaign so far. He has made a safe choice with the Ford but could well struggle in the mixed-grid races. McPhilen has come of age in recent seasons and found his speed but needs to deliver it when it matters most in qualifying to set him up for bigger results on a more consistent basis. However the new format may play into his hands as qualifying well does not mean the end of the world anymore.

Expect these four to be the key title protagonists in what is expected to be a hard fought slog to the end.

Intra-team rivalry

The top of the standings may be where the key focus will be, but there will be many fascinating rivalries within the teams as they look to take their personal battles to the top of the Manufacturers Standings.

Audi
    2015 Audi S3 Sedan - RickeeyC & wilDtub
    From the outside at this moment in time, the Audi team looks to be made up of a driver that was 100% committed to driving for them, and one that has simply fallen into a seat after every other team tied up their deals and shut up shop early.

wilDtub was spotted at the test session in the Audi on a frequent basis and something has clearly clicked between driver and machine. Possibly the unluckiest man in the Ferrari Challenge series will be hoping that the tides have turned for him in a car that is probably very similar to the Ferrari in some aspects.

RickeeyC, on the other hand, is the only driver not to have shown his hand yet but he may well not have expected to be driving the Audi package for the coming season, which has demonstrated erratic handling at times but a very fast top speed.

Therefore it is very difficult to judge how this duel will end up. Audi will undoubtedly play the underdog role this season in a car that will be very difficult to pass and that could mean whoever holds on to the big results in the reverse races will have the lion's share of the points. Audi hope this rivalry will ignite and take them to shock results this season.

BMW
    2011 BMW 1 M Series Coupe - Alehud42 & I RickyTan I
    A veteran of touring cars is up against a completely unknown entity this season. Alehud42 has previous knowledge of a BMW touring car and therefore should have the edge at the start. His speed has gradually improved as the seasons have progressed and the BMW should mean that he is a difficult car to pass. He didn't feature at the test session so there was no chance to gauge him against his new team-mate but expect solid performances and perhaps the odd opportunity for race victories in the reverse grid races.

Rookie I RickyTan I landed a drive in the eleventh hour and has already expressed his elation at getting a seat so quickly. He has rightly kept his expectations in check but he has a fine and experienced team-mate to measure himself against. He made some great progress in testing but will need to polish up on his race craft to ensure he survives some brutal encounters in the midfield, especially with a car that will swap ends a lot easier than most of those around him.

Ford
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Kptk92 & Relezy
    Ford boast two drivers this season with big campaigns ahead of them. Kptk92 and Relezy have both had their run ins (sometimes into each other) in previous championships but will need to work together to achieve big points this season.

Kptk92 is expected to be up there fighting for the title but will need to cut out the costly mistakes that have hampered previous bids in championships gone by. On his day he can be the benchmark but a car lacking in speed or getting pushed about could be enough to trigger the red mist. He must play the long game this season and keep his head up.

Relezy on the other hand faces a defining season. His results in the Ferrari Challenge were improving steadily and that bodes well for the BTCC in a car that should be a more pleasurable experience to drive. First he must improve his lap times in qualifying, and then the results will come. He found himself in some decent positions in the Ferrari Challenge but did not capitalise on them - this is something that will happen more frequently in the BTCC format and Ford will pin their hopes on him to learning from past experience to take home valuable points in what looks like a very tight Manufacturers battle.

Honda
    2007 Honda Civic Type-R - x Shuffle & oV xB4RDx Vo
    Honda surely must fancy their chances in the Drivers Championship but two very contrasting seasons for their driver's in the Ferrari Challenge will mean they could face an uphill climb in the Manufacturers Championship. x Shuffle finished near the summit of the Ferrari standings, with oV xB4RDx Vo languishing down the order 2 points from the bottom.

Honda's stomping ground at Road Atlanta hosts the fifth event of the season and that will surely be the defining moment of the season. If x Shuffle is in a position of power by that stage then the title will surely be a formality. What he does in the opening half of the season is crucial - he has all of the ingredients to take a stranglehold of this Championship and he rarely shows a weakness. A few uncharacteristic errors in the Ferrari Challenge will be quickly resolved, and a trouble-free run in terms of reliability is all he will need. Expect him to be challenging for pole positions and setting fastest laps. It will take a monumental effort for him to be toppled this season.

oV xB4RDx Vo on the other hand rarely represented last season and did not feature at the test session. He will surely be under a huge baptism of fire in the intra-team battle, but he can use his team-mate as a benchmark for improvement and that will be key as the season progresses and Honda may find itself in the mix for top honours.

Renault
    2010 Renault Megane RS 250 - McPhilen & FisiFan91
    There is a well balanced line up at Renault with the potential to go on and produce good things this season. McPhilen will surely lead the Renault charge and getting top results in qualifying and the first race will surely be at the top of his wishlist. His race performances have generally been inconsistent and often unlucky in the past - the expected tighter field spread will surely teach him a harsh lesson if he falls off guard this season. This is a defining season for McPhilen.

His team-mate FisiFan91 however has not at all been comfortable in tin tops but a podium in the final race of the Ferrari Challenge must surely keep him optimistic of an improved turn in fortunes in the touring cars. The speed has quite clearly been proven in the past and he needs to explore what he can do to pick up the top results once again. The Megane will provide him with a strong and reliable base to build upon and hopefully by season's end he will be sniffing the tail end of the frontrunners.

Vauxhall
    2012 Vauxhall Astra VXR - xII robo IIx & oV xS4Mx Vo
    Vauxhall enter the season as the team to beat with regular frontrunners xII robo IIx and oV xS4Mx Vo taking the reins of the Astra VXR. xII robo IIx enters the season as one of the favourites following Ferrari success and will be incredibly tough to beat. He is almost notorious for storming through the field in the reverse grid races in a matter of moments and this will be a key strength of his once again in the title race. He is always up there in qualifying too - he will be a tough adversary to beat.

His team-mate made an important step in the Ferrari Challenge. oV xS4Mx Vo learned the lessons from the RUF Supercup and converted that into podium finishes and stunning qualifying performances, especially towards the latter stages. His pace has improved with every race event and will be one of the drivers to watch this season as he looks to take the fight to the top four. With the Astra at his disposal, he could well spring a few surprises at the front too.

AUTOSPORT predicts..

The x Shuffle/Kptk92 rivalry will reignite following a stuttering squabble in the Ferrari Challenge. xII robo IIx and McPhilen will be right there to pick up any pieces though. Expect McPhilen to capitalise on his practice pace and secure at least one pole position this time out. oV xS4Mx Vo will continue to surprise and could well score some victories. Also keep an eye out in the reverse grid races, as the midfield runners compete for victories too. And expect Troggy to try and make some attempt of a comeback as the season progresses.

1. x Shuffle

2. Kptk92
    3. xII robo IIx
    4. McPhilen
    5. oV xS4Mx Vo
    6. Alehud42
    7. FisiFan91
    8. RickeeyC
    9. wilDtub
    10. I RickyTan I
    11. Relezy
    12. oV xB4RDx Vo

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  8. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    5 Different Winners in 5 Races as x Shuffle claims lead
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle converted his practice pace into consistent results which fired him to the BTCC summit

Honda's x Shuffle waited until the final race to seize the initiative and take the points lead following a controlled and measured event amidst a hectic opening meet at Catalunya.

The revised format had promised to deliver more action and the opening five races of the season provided the evidence, with five different drivers already notching a victory onto the scoreboard.

The most unpredictable season ever kicked off in exciting fashion, with the Ford of Kptk92 capitalising on the mistakes of x Shuffle and Renault's McPhilen to snatch pole position in the closing stages. Kptk92's team-mate Relezy was potentially the star of qualifying, achieving 5th position for race 1 with a fine lap while others faltered, notably I RickyTan I in the BMW. As expected, the anticipated title protagonists held the top four grid positions.

But it almost went wrong for the lead Ford on the very first racing lap, with Kptk92 surviving a major scare on the exit of turn 4 at the top of the hill and just clinging on to the lead following an attack from the Honda of x Shuffle. The top three then made a breakaway while xII robo IIx attempted to pass a fast-starting Relezy, with x Shuffle using the straight-line advantage of the Honda to close up to Kptk92 into turn 1 multiple times but ultimately not able to find a way through. Behind them, McPhilen set the fastest lap in a Megane that was well suited to the Circuit de Catalunya but was forced to take a backseat throughout the lead battle. The BMW team-mates of Alehud42 and I RickyTan I were the first to create an incident of note, with the pair clashing and finishing 11th and 12th, but that effectively set them up for greater fortunes in race 2.

Race 2 pole-sitter I RickyTan I led away but came under increasing pressure from his team-mate and the field behind, with Alehud42 succeeding in getting past. With the results from race 1 reversed, it left the faster drivers having everything to do if they were to set themselves up for a higher grid spot in race 3. x Shuffle and McPhilen set to work moving their way up the field but did not progress as quickly as xII robo IIx, who scythed his way through the field and was challenging for the victory but ultimately came just one position short and had to settle for second. Kptk92 did not enjoy such luck, suffering a lack of downforce following contact with oV xB4RDx Vo early on and had to be content with getting past RWD drivers RickeeyC and wilDtub for 8th following mistakes from the pair of them. However, unlike the Audi drivers, rivals BMW took a double podium, with Alehud42 becoming the first rear wheel drive winner of the season and I RickyTan I hanging on to the final podium spot.

With the third race grid being determined by the result of the reversed-race 2, it was widely expected that xII robo IIx would sail away into the distance while the BMW of Alehud42 would try and hang on from the onslaught of the Honda of x Shuffle and the Renaults of McPhilen and FisiFan91. This proved to be a short-lived expectation, with many factors in a short succession of laps culminating in Kptk92 jumping from 8th to 2nd in as many laps to make a challenge for the victory. This resulted from a great start which got him past the Renaults and then a brave move around the outside of turn 2 elevated him onto the lead pack, which consisted of xII robo IIx and x Shuffle going on the offensive against Alehud42. The BMW made an error early into the race which lost him positions, and then a rare error from x Shuffle resulting in his Honda being spat off of the kerb and spun 180 degrees. This left Kptk92 and McPhilen to chase the race leader, but the performance of the Vauxhall in the speed traps made this chase futile, with xII robo IIx putting his name onto the winner's rostrum for the first time in Season 1.

The start of race 4 was marred by a collision between Kptk92 and McPhilen, with the Ford appearing to miss it's braking point completely and firing itself into the unsuspecting Renault. Both drivers escaped and continued but the damage was significant - and it was fortunate that no more than two drivers were impacted by the collision. Kptk92 elected to pit and had an uneventful race afterwards, while McPhilen continued with significant rear damage but did well to fight back into the points. Meanwhile, up at the front, x Shuffle and I RickyTan I were embroiled in a lengthy battle for the final podium spot, with the Honda claiming the spoils, while oV xS4Mx Vo made the most of his high grid slot to lead from the front and take his first victory in AOR history. If there was one race to define the new format and to prove it's worth, this was the one - drivers who suffered in the previous race were given golden opportunities for big points, and the mix of cars battling at the front was simply great to watch. It was not a great race for Ford, however, as Relezy took his third consecutive non-points finish despite starting on the front row and joined his team-mate at the back for race 5.

Four different winners in four races was unprecedented but the grid for the final race of the evening presented a glorious opportunity to create history. Despite generally running at the front for most of the event, x Shuffle had perhaps even surprised himself by not being one of the four winners but 3rd on the grid left him hopeful of putting that right, and with fellow practice frontrunner McPhilen starting down in a lowly 9th following his race 4 shunt, x Shuffle took the chance to make it five out of five with a great victory. It followed an intense battle with oV xS4Mx Vo who was looking to become the first double winner of the season, but the race capped off as good an event as possible for the Honda driver. McPhilen fought back hard from the lower midfield to secure the final podium spot and round off a consistent showing - three 3rd place finishes leaves him third in the standings after a rollercoaster evening.

But the result of the final race was enough to elevate x Shuffle to the top of the standings from xII robo IIx after a breathless first five races, with the trio of McPhilen, oV xS4Mx Vo and Kptk92 in close pursuit behind.

• Like Like x 1
  9. McPhilen

45%
    [​IMG]
    McPhilen Slightly Disappointed Despite Consistent Performance
    [​IMG]
    Consistent results help McPhilen to third in the championship, but there could have been more.

The opening race night for BTCC driver McPhilen was a bitter sweet one. Whilst proving that the consistency that was lacking for many different racing series has improved, the driver could be said to have lacked that final bit of pace to elevate him into higher positions.

Race 1 started the day off rather well, after only finishing behind the top two championship contenders. The race itself wasn't particular enthralling for McPhilen, but the driver definitely enjoyed the battle ahead for 1st.

Race 2 was a little bit of a disappointment. Whilst McPhilen found a way to cut through a good chuck of the field, he did so a little too slowly, which allowed for the leaders to pull enough of a gap that in the shorter races for the BTCC, found McPhilen struggling to overtake.

Race 3 has an odd format to its starting grid. The positions mimic the final positions of race 2, a reverse grid race. This means that people who did poorly in race 1, had a great opportunity for races 2, and therefore 3. McPhilen started a reasonable 5th, which helped him onto a 3rd place. McPhilen was said to be disappointed at his lack of pace in this race, but was helped by the misfortune of x Shuffle ahead to finish as highly as he did.

Race 4 didn't end well for the Renault driver. After the Ford behind of Kptk92 failed to spot his braking point into T1, the Ford driver drove into the back of McPhilen, essentially ending both races there. Whilst Kptk92 pitted, McPhilen did not and was rewarded with staying out after a late coming together from wilDtub and Relezy helped McPhilen finish the race with 2pts, in 9th position.

This therefore meant that race 5 was always going to be tough for McPhilen to finish anywhere near the top. However, some misfortune for others, the Renault driver was able to make his way up to 3rd in the end, rounding out the night with 3 podiums. All the bottom step, but it is a start to what will prove to be an arduous campaign, for all the drivers.

McPhilen, ultimately with 3 out of 5 races going well for him, leaves feeling there is more to come from the next events. Whilst the upcoming Abu Dhabi wont suit the Renault, he is expecting for at least a good showing from himself to do the best he can.

Highlights of the race can be found here:

AOR BTCC Season 1, Rounds 1-5: Catalunya National.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    Kptk92 & Ford targets Catalunya Race 1 repeat
    [​IMG]
    Kptk92 and Ford drew first blood in the Championship in race 1 with victory while Relezy took an impressive 5th

Kptk92 has targeted an immediate fightback at the next BTCC event at Yas Marina following a muted event at Catalunuya

Kptk92 left Catalunya dissatisfied with his Championship standing, where he lies 5th after being involved in a series of incidents scattered across multiple races, but is relieved to be in a car that has the capability to challenge for race victories.

The Ford stunned it's immediate rivals with a lap that snatched pole position from under the nose of Honda's x Shuffle and the Renault of McPhilen, which laid the foundations for an impressive victory in the opening race of the season under immense pressure.

But Kptk92's aggressive first race defence wasn't translated over very well into attack after creating two major incidents of note in races 4 and 5 which ended his hopes of any big points scores which allowed his Championship rivals to open up a gap at the top of the standings.

"It's a relief to know that we've got a great car capable of mixing it up at the front," declared Kptk92. "I'm just very annoyed that I couldn't pay back the team's efforts with some better results. Obviously it's great to take pole and the win right from the start but things just didn't fall into place as the day progressed. I know where I've gone wrong today and I'll iron these problems out before Abu Dhabi.

"To know we have the speed is a great feeling and that will motivate me next week to try and repeat the start that we had at Catalunya but also to do this on a consistent level throughout the race days."

Kptk92 is only two points away from 3rd in the Championship but is 16 points off of x Shuffle at the top of the Championship, which is already more than a race win. But Kptk92 doesn't see that as a major problem at such an early stage of the season.

"The constant jumbled-up grids will mean everyone will suffer at some point of the season. I had problems in race 2 and that just set me up for bad grid positions for the rest of the event so I was always behind. All it takes is one minor incident to completely ruin your event in this current format. I'm sure the luck will swing soon."

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  11. McPhilen

45%
    [​IMG]
    Strong Final Race Showings For McPhilen
    [​IMG]

An improvement in speed, but disappointment shows after two poor results. The win still eludes McPhilen.

McPhilen's target for an improvement in results was for the most part successful, however races 2 and 3 left the Renault driver with a lot to do in the final two races. For the most part there was an improvement in pace, but the final results, with McPhilen scoring 37pts, show that even with better pace it doesn't always translate into a strong result.

Race 1 for McPhilen was very similar to that of Catalunya. Starting 3rd and, come the end of the race, maintaining that position. The race started with a quick scrap with x Shuffle, who remained close for the entire race, but due to the Honda's weakness in pulling out of the tight left hander onto the straight, was unable to mount a move into the braking area. McPhilen told AUTOSPORT that he struggled with that braking zone all night. "I just never seemed to be able to get it right. The Megane isn't the best under braking, but it shouldn't have been as it was."

Race 2 was an incredible race. There was a huge amount of action, and a great battle between xII robo IIx and McPhilen was had. It was a very difficult scrap, which ultimately probably cost both drivers finishing slightly higher, but both drivers clearly enjoyed the battle. The earlier laps of the race were a scramble for position with almost every car fighting for every stretch of tarmac.

Race 3 ended in a similar fashion to Race 4 at Catalunya, with the #44 Renault driver getting caught up in another incident. The rear end of McPhilen's car got caught on the front of x Shuffle's Honda, which lead to McPhilen losing control and careering into the side of the Honda, effectively eliminating both.

The starting position for Race 4 was however helped, with McPhilen starting 2nd, due to it being a reverse grid. In this race, the driver stayed close to the leader x Shuffle, but never got close to mount a challenge, however it was a great result in the end and the best result of the season so far to finish second.

Race 5 therefore started in a similar fashion to Race 4, but this time Kptk92 was behind in 3rd, after a strong race 4. However the Focus was challenged from behind and so dropped back from the two leaders. Race 5, unlike race 4, featured a battle for the lead. McPhilen had a number of chances to get past, however, there was only one real stand out chance. This came on lap 7, which McPhilen got his nose up the inside at the Honda's weakest corner. McPhilen had a great chance for the overtake for the lead, however the drivers knocked confidence into turn 7, coupled with x Shuffle's well timed braking, stopped the move from coming off.

Overall, it was a pretty frantic night of racing, with race 2 being a highlight for fans, and race 5 for McPhilen. The improved pace was good for McPhilen, and heading into Sebring is feeling confident for qualifying. However the long straights will hamper the Renault and the Ford, and whilst they may do well in qualifying, the races, especially the reverse grid races, will be very challenging for these drivers.

12. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle holds Championship lead as rivals close in
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle took big points at an event where he expected the Honda Civic to be below-par

x Shuffle survived a potentially significant blow to his Championship ambitions to extend his lead at the top of the standings at Yas Marina.

The Honda driver was caught up in a first-lap accident in race 3, but took advantage of the new gridding regulations to storm to back-to-back victories in races 4 and 5 despite heavy pressure from the Renault of McPhilen.

The 30 points earned in the final two races at Abu Dhabi all but saved face as it appeared early on that it was going to be a day of damage limitation, but x Shuffle will be delighted to have only dropped one point to one of his rivals - the Ford of Kptk92, who banished the demons of Catalunya to take the most points out of the race meeting to move up to 3rd in the standings.

But the Ford driver could not repeat his surprise pole position in the opening session of the season at Yas Marina. Vauxhall Astra driver xII robo IIx pipped him in the dying moments by seven hundredths of a second in what was an incredibly hard-fought qualifying session where the top 9 were separated by less than a second, with the Audis or RickeeyC and wilDtub (who was suffering with a cold throughout the meeting) rounding out the classified grid. Renault impressed with McPhilen - who perhaps was considered the favourite based on practice times - in 3rd and FisiFan91 taking an excellent 5th and only four tenths off of pole. The close lap times indicated to some hectic racing to come, and the lap times lived up to their promise.

Although passing opportunities were scarce, the majority of the field appeared to be welded together throughout the day. Kptk92 wasn't topping any of the speed traps in race 1 but capitalised on a rare error from pole sitter xII robo IIx on the first racing lap to take the lead and never looked back as he took a repeat result of his first race at Catalunya last week and became the first double winner of the season. xII robo IIx fell off the leader as he struggled to get up to speed early on, while x Shuffle attempted in vain to find a way past the Renault of McPhilen while having to endure the pressure of the other Renault of FisiFan91. McPhilen also struggled to get up to speed, which did nothing to help x Shuffle's frustration as he rued a lack of power on the straight. The trio finished where they started, while oV xS4Mx Vo recovered from a poor qualifying display to finish 6th ahead of a constantly-improving Relezy and the rear wheel drive runners. o0o JAM1E o0o also made a quiet debut in the sister Honda Civic, starting 12th and moving up one spot and missing out on points.

As predicted by some before the event had even started, the rear wheel drive cars were set to provide some drama at Yas Marina, and races 2 and 3 presented glorious opportunities for the Audis and BMWs to score some surprise results, especially given their favourable grid positions. RickeeyC made great use of the Audi's speed to take the lead and never look back, while the BMWs of Alehud42 and I RickyTan I were locked in combat for the majority of race 2, which created a major train and some frenetic racing behind, as the Championship leader's charges through the field provided a sub plot to the story of the race. x Shuffle made light work of his movement up the field but was powerless to get past the duelling BMWs, which sucked him back into the battle of Kptk92, oV xS4Mx Vo, xII robo IIx and McPhilen who were all scrambling for the minor points.

An all-RWD podium ensured that the battle would continue in race 3, but a great start from oV xS4Mx Vo led to the field bunching up and going almost four wide into turn 2, causing a chain reaction involving x Shuffle and McPhilen, with the latter losing control and swinging back onto the circuit and ending both his and his Championship rival's chances of a decent score. RickeeyC once again led the way, and became the first back-to-back winner of the season despite berating the circuit design before a wheel had even been turned. Kptk92 fell down the field he became embroiled in a scrap with the Vauxhall Astras and came out worse in a collision that sent him down to 5th, while xII robo IIx made easy work of I RickyTan I to claim 2nd, with the BMW capturing his second 3rd place of the day, which helped him move up to 5th in the overall standings.

The disaster of race 3 ensured x Shuffle and McPhilen would start on the front row in the reverse grid race 4, and with prospects for race 5 also looking good both drivers were content to lead out at the front and pull away from the field to finish where they started. Kptk92 made an excellent start and climbed from 8th to 3rd in a lap and a half, but could not make any in-roads on the leading duo but instead had to keep one eye over his shoulder at FisiFan91, who underlined the Megane's excellent pace with a strong and consistent race to take 4th and hold off the pressure from xII robo IIx.

Race 4 seemed to be a dress rehearsal for race 5, with McPhilen continuing to shadow x Shuffle in the final race of the day and began to put on an offensive. The Renault driver squandered an opportunity for his first race victory of the season when he was on the inside of the Honda but struggled with his braking (a common theme for the event with McPhilen complaining about his car's braking potential throughout the meeting) and was undercut by the Championship leader, who took another win in unlikely circumstances following a difficult opening half of the day but was rewarded for his patience and consistency under pressure. Meanwhile, behind the leading pair, Kptk92 and xII robo IIx were locked in an intense battle for the final podium spot, with the Ford clinging on to pull within 5 points of the Vauxhall driver in the overall standings for 2nd place. Behind the top 4, I RickyTan I led a five car battle for 5th place, with 5th to 9th covered by 3 seconds at the chequered flag. The results underlined just how tight the field has closed up in this new era of Forza league racing, and the organisers will be pleased to see this has been achieved in such a short space of time.

But despite the competitiveness of the field increasing seemingly by every week, the same names appear at the top of the standings, with x Shuffle leading the standings and currently holding the most victories. xII robo IIx has scored points in every race so far and holds 2nd place, and Kptk92 and McPhilen ensure that they keep well in touch after bittersweet showings at Catalunya, with the latter still chasing that elusive win to underline his status as Championship contender.

13. Relezy

Relezy Semi-Pro Karter

33%
    [​IMG]
    Relezy hoping to improve and gain ground on rivals
    [​IMG]

"I feel it could have been better"

After last season many didn't expect for Relezy to be up there and battling it out for the good stuff, but having picked up only 12 points less than what he picked up last season all together Relezy is still hoping for more and is confident this was just a poor couple of weeks.

Last weeks 5th place in qualifying was the shock of the season so far and he built on that performance this week by qualifying 6th at a track he really wasn't confident on at all. Technicalities affected race 1 for Relezy however after starting in the wrong grid position due to the position indicator being faulty and starting 8th, Relezy managed to recover a place to finish 7th.

When asked how the seasons going so far, here's his reply: "It's going okay I suppose, it could be better and probably should be. I feel I have the pace this season to challenge for podiums and certainly win a race given the right circumstances. I may not be as quick as my team mate just yet but don't forget he's been doing these leagues for a long time. To be 54 points behind Kptk92 already is very disappointing, I had the opportunity to win a race last week but the racing got too tight and aggressive and unfortunately I came off worst. I'm still disappointed with the incident but there's nothing we can do now."

"This week I knew it was going to be tough, especially overtaking. I'm not happy with some of the results last night but I gave it my all and came out with some good points. I'm just happy to be mixing it up at the right end of the grid"

Notably Relezy also pulled off a great double overtake last night when Fisi and Sam were going side by side down the straight and as they came into the braking area for the double left. When asked to give his view of what happened here was his response: "I saw them battling coming down the hill so I just thought concentrate on getting a good exit and see what I can gain. Towards to end of the straight they were level with each other and I just took the gamble on that they were going to try to out brake each other. I concentrated on hitting my mark and hopefully they'll out brake themselves and well that's exactly what happened. They out braked themselves in fact and ran wide and all i had to do was hit the first apex and make sure i get a good exit on the second."

Ricky Tan also gave Relezy quite a duel that night with a few close battles. Ricky Tan passed Relezy into the same corner Relezy pulled off that double overtake. Relezy had managed to get past Ricky tan with about 4 laps to go but after increasing pressure and some great driving from both drivers, Relezy made a huge mistake in the 3rd to last corner on the last lap after locking up both fronts and running off the track to give Ricky Tan the position back.

Ford have moved up to 3rd now in the constructors just 1 point ahead BMW and 12 points behind Renault, but ford will have their work cut out if they are to progress further than the top 2 with Vauxhall and Renault both have strong driver line-ups.

14. RickyTan

15%
    Needs to improve qualifying
    [​IMG]
    "Battered and bruised"

After being competitive on the timing sheets in practice, l RickyTan l found himself qualifying way down the order. However in the race he showed that speed and steered his BMW 1 Series to two podium finishes at Abu Dubai, beating his team mate on more than one occasion

Struggling with balance issues with the cars set up all week he claimed he was surprised with his results. “First thing first is I’m a bit battered and bruised after all the contact today. did you see the state of my car after the races lol. But yh the fact I was up there in any of the races is a miracle. The car was sliding everywhere and the ride was very harsh on the curbs. Driving this thing today was like trying to hold on to a wild f*****g bull, every corner was a challenge in its self and with the FWD boys giving you a love tap every now and then, it makes the job of driving it even harder”.

l RickyTan l finds himself 5th in the standings which at the beginning of the season not many people would have predicted. With the BTCC circus heading to the States to tackle Sebring many would assume RWD would do well there due to the long straights. l RickyTan l responded saying

“Na, we maybe the fastest for ¾ of the lap but the last corner will be the death of any RWD car. After how the car reacted on the little bumps of Abu Dubai, it’s going to be ten times worse on that corner, leaving you vulnerable to be passed, tapped or span out by someone”

One thing for sure is that looking at l RickyTan l results. He could be doing a lot better if he sorts out his qualifying positions. Starting near the rear is hurting his progress in the points and is the main difference between him and the people ahead of him in the standings

15. McPhilen

45%
    [​IMG]
    Mechanical Failures Ruin Night For McPhilen
    [​IMG]
    A surprisingly wide time difference in qualifying, but no surprise on top manufacturer from Sebring event.

McPhilen's night was ruined after a turn 2 wreck in race 2. After setting a decent qualifying lap, dropping only a small amount from his personal best in practice, the driver was feeling good. However, after a stunning lap from x Shuffle in the Honda, and a hugely quick time from l RickyTan l in the quick at Sebring BMW, McPhilen once again started 3rd on the grid, in as many races.

Race 1 played out almost exactly as every other race 1 has gone for McPhilen, starting and finishing 3rd. This time, however, the Renault driver got up into 2nd, only to run wide and clip the outside wall of T8, letting Kptk92 through. He then had to withstand pressure from the ever impressive l RickyTan l to hold on to 3rd. Had this been one of the later races, with l RickyTan l having got back up to speed, this would almost certainly never happened.

Race 2 ran well for 5 laps until on lap 6, a mechanical failure caused a 3 car incident, in which caused McPhilen to drop down to last. There were, however, high hopes for race 4 after due to what would seemingly be a difficult race 3. The racing in race 2 was close fought, but a couple of mistakes in wheel to wheel battle hampered the progress of McPhilen. This is what eventually caused the driver to be on the same piece of tarmac as where the incident occurred.

Race 3 was running as expected for McPhilen, down the order, which was sitting nicely for a potentially good race 4 and following that race 5, very similar to how Abu Dhabi went, however it was not to be, after a Brake Temperature issue for x Shuffle caused a big incident ruining three cars racers, promoting McPhilen from 8th to 5th. Usually this would be a good result after starting last on the grid, but this ruined race 4 and 5.

Race 4's running was difficult for McPhilen. In a car which is 2nd slowest on the straights, it became apparent that it would be difficult to pass, and this compounded with the fact that two of the fastest drivers, x Shuffle and l RickyTan l had tremendous starting positions, meant that much higher than 6th would have been difficult.

Race 5 was much the same, this time starting 6th but finishing 5th. In this race, once again x Shuffle and l RickyTan l fared well, and the BMW man got his first win of the season with a storming drive at the front. The top 5 ended up relatively close on track. Kptk92 put in a strong drive to finish 3rd in a car which is the slowest in a straight line. Behind him, xII robo IIx probably could have mounted an offensive, however McPhilen slowed him down around the twisty bits more than usual which stopped an overtake ever occurring, and with the lack of speed from the Renault, McPhilen couldn't make a move on the Vauxhall.

Overall the race night was not strong, though going into it before hand this was expected. The next track, Road America - West, should be a much better track for the Megane, Focus and Civic, it should be a strong fight there. It should provide some good racing.

16. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle endures multiple threats to maintain lead
    [​IMG]
    x Shuffle and I RickyTan I led the points standings at Sebring as the Championship battle intensified

x Shuffle took another crucial step in his goal to become BTCC Champion as he repelled the challenge of all of his Championship rivals to narrowly extend his lead at Sebring.

The Pirtek Honda driver's chances hung in the balance as the practice times indicated the top half of the field were within only a couple of tenths of each other, but a superb pole position lap set him up to a victory in race 1 - denying a resurgent I RickyTan I who starred in the BMW, and became increasingly likely to be competing at the front as the practice week progressed.

There were also standout performances by Championship protagonists Kptk92, who wrestled the top speed-depleted Focus into 4 podiums in 5 races, and Vauxhall's xII robo IIx, who recovered from a dismal qualifying performance to consolidate his second position in the standings at the event's conclusion, while McPhilen's Championship hopes were dashed following an incident-filled meeting.

But there were no such problems for x Shuffle, who had to go above and beyond the limit to set a personal best to defeat I RickyTan I in qualifying in what could later be seen as a defining moment in the season as the Championship leader converted his front row start into an excellent getaway and subsequently a dominant victory. I RickyTan I was less fortunate at the start, getting involved in first corner tangle with Vauxhall's oV xS4Mx Vo, who was looking to capitalise himself on a great qualifying position in 4th, allowing McPhilen to jump up to 2nd while Kptk92 made an audacious pass around the outside to claim 3rd. The sister BMW of Alehud42 also had a difficult start and was bumped into numerous times before losing control before he even arrived at turn 2. As the leader extended the gap, the minor honours in race 1 were left to be contested by McPhilen, Kptk92, I RickyTan I and xII robo IIx, with the Renault making an error and losing 2nd early on and then having to resign himself to keeping a tentative eye over his shoulder as he clung on to the final podium spot ahead of the recovering BMW, who could do no better than 4th.

That left all of the key players at the back of the field and with it all to do in the reverse grid race 2. The Audis of wilDtub and RickeeyC struggled in the first race and led the charge at the start but began to fade away as a bottle-neck began to emerge behind them. But there was no such problems for I RickyTan I, who underlined his event ambitions as he took advantage of the BMW's straight-line speed as he scythed his way through the field, including passing three cars in the space of one corner on the final bend, with xII robo IIx in close pursuit in 2nd. Alehud42 had a quiet race in 3rd and was able to pull away from the midfield behind as the battle for 4th raged on. The scrap was mostly clean and hard fought until a major accident on lap 6, following a lag delay, fired several cars out of the reckoning, leaving x Shuffle and Kptk92 to sweep up the final positions in the top 5, with the majority of the field being affected by the late-race carnage.

The late drama left the prospect of a tantalising battle in race 3, with the Championship front-runners all starting near the front and each looking to stamp their authority on the event. I RickyTan I led the way but wasn’t able to get a break away started before xII robo IIx began to initiate an assault on the lead, as Alehud42 held on desperately from the onslaught of x Shuffle and - following an early race battle with oV xS4Mx Vo – the Ford of Kptk92. As the race progressed Alehud42 managed to shake off his early wobbles to launch an attack on his team-mate, relegating I RickyTan I from 2nd to 4th as x Shuffle joined Alehud42 through in the same move. Another lag spike incident then occurred late on once again, as x Shuffle and I RickyTan I were involved in a major accident and collected oV xS4Mx Vo in the process, which promoted Kptk92 up onto the podium once again.

While the incident lost the Sebring pace-setters valuable points, they were gifted an opportunity to make amends in the final two races, with the reverse-grid race 4 appearing to give x Shuffle and I RickyTan I a clear grid advantage over any of their key rivals. The front two led away as expected although the Honda was forced to endure a number of attacks from the BMW, while the Renault of FisiFan91 tried to keep hold of a podium finish to make up for a mostly anonymous evening from oV xS4Mx Vo and Kptk92 who made an astonishing start, leaping up from 10th to 5th in the opening lap of racing. The front two began to open up a gap over the minor podium battle, as the Renault and the Vauxhall engaged in combat but when both drivers ran a shallow line into the final turn it opened the door for Kptk92 to complete a double overtake to snatch 3rd and left the two to continue their squabble, culminating in a bizarre incident in which the Vauxhall brushed a wall and lost control. xII robo IIx and McPhilen also made up ground and ended the race sandwiching FisiFan91 for 4th, 5th and 6th. The race also underlined a difficult race meeting for RickeeyC, who struggled to control his Audi and ended up not finishing the race.

The final race of the event featured two sub plots at the front, as x Shuffle and I RickyTan I resumed their ongoing battle while Kptk92 desperately tried to cling on against xII robo IIx who was in a fighting mood. I RickyTan I made his move early on during lap 2 and then never looked back, while the 3rd place battle lasted a bit longer as the Focus repelled the Astra time and time again until a mistake from xII robo IIx gave Kptk92 enough breathing space to capture his fourth podium of the event to keep in touch in the overall picture.

But the overall picture still looks promising for x Shuffle, who took the joint-most points of the race meeting alongside the vastly improved I RickyTan I (who jumps McPhilen up into 4th and is breathing down the neck of the top 3) to extend his Championship lead by a couple of points over xII robo IIx, who in turn gained one point overall on Kptk92. So despite all of the action, incidents and racing the Championship battle ended in a stalemate at Sebring as the season progresses towards the half way mark of the season.

17. McPhilen

45%
    [​IMG]
    Better Night for McPhilen, Hampered by Another Incident.
    [​IMG]
    A 4th 3rd position in qualifying sets McPhilen up for his highest points score of the season, but was once again caught up in an incident.

Qualifying for McPhilen went down exactly as it has for the first three events, coming home in 3rd, once again behind x Shuffle and the ever impressive l RickyTan l. However, unlike Sebring, it was the latter who took pole position, his first ever.

Race 1 for McPhilen started off quite well. On lap 1, contact was made at T6 with Kptk92 which didn't cost any positions, but allowed the two leaders to gain an advantage. Starting lap 2, McPhilen took T1 poorly and dropped down behind Kptk92, and almost lost a position to xII robo IIx as well. Come lap 3, Kptk92 had caught the two leaders whose battling slowed them down, and after a mistake from l RickyTan l on the brakes, Kptk92 was able to move up a place. At the second to last corner, McPhilen was able to manage a pass around the outside to draw level, and therefore have a better line into the carousel to move back up into 3rd. On lap 5, Kptk92 makes an error into T4 which allows McPhilen to make the move up into 2nd where he remained.

Race 2 was once again a race to forget with another incident catching out the Renault driver. This happened on lap 1. After this, a few mistakes and collisions between other drivers allowed McPhilen to catch up to 8th. x Shuffle was also caught in the early incident and finished in 7th. x Shuffle gained two places on the final lap, on McPhilen and Alehud42, who was also past by McPhilen.

Race 3 was therefore seemingly going to be very difficult, starting in 8th with no real overtaking spots for the Renault. After a crash between Alehud42 and reserve driver oOo JAM1E oOo, McPhilen moved up one position. An early pass around the outside of wilDtub at T2 moved him up another, to 6th. Soon after, l RickyTan l made another mistake, moving McPhilen to 5th. McPhilen then made his own mistake going into T1, losing two places to both the Audi's, and just holding off oV xS4Mx Vo to not be relegated to 8th. A pass on this same lap around the outside of RickeeyC at the penultimate corner gained one position back. On lap 6, the battle for 2nd involved 5 cars, with McPhilen at the tail end. A slight amount of contact between wilDtub and x Shuffle allowed McPhilen to pass the former, up into 5th just before the start of the final lap. He then had his team mate ahead, in the form of FisiFan91. A slow run for FisiFan91 out of T2, in avoidance of a collision with x Shuffle allowed McPhilen to move around the outside of said corner into 4th, where he finished, but only after a close finish between x Shuffle, xII robo IIx and FisiFan91.

Race 4 was a great race for McPhilen. After starting 9th he finished 2nd. It was during this race the Renault driver set the fastest lap of the night, on lap 6. After briefly dropping down to 12th and last on the main straight, three corners later McPhilen found himself 7th, helped by a good move from himself and also contact ahead. A mistake from oV xB4RDx Vo on lap 2 allowed McPhilen up into 6th which soon after became 4th after one overtake against xII robo IIx, who then got back past but then contact between said driver and Alehud42 spinning Alehud42 out once again put McPhilen ahead of xII robo IIx. RickeeyC was past around the outside of T7 after a slow exit from T6. Ahead, reserve driver oOo JAM1E oOo was running in 2nd. However, he succumbed to engine damage once again (which happened a few times), allowing an easy pass for 2nd. l RickyTan l was too far ahead for any real challenge for the lead, but the fastest lap highlighted a good race for McPhilen.

Race 5 was a bit of a disappointment for McPhilen. Still finishing on the podium, but lost a place early on and couldn't quite get back into the rhythm he showed in race 4. The race itself for the front was quite tight all through the race. The battling front pair helped 3rd and 4th place drivers (McPhilen and Kptk92) to close up. McPhilen did manage to mount one offensive, but in the end it didn't come off, but this did help free l RickyTan l to take another win in the AOR BTCC series.

Overall it was a good night for McPhilen, though a bit more was probably on the cars should there have been a better performance in race 5 and no incident in race 2.

18. McPhilen

45%
    [​IMG]
    First Pole, First Win, Disappointing Night Overall
    [​IMG]
    A first pole position and a win help make up for otherwise a very poor event for McPhilen, who was once again caught up in incidents and own mistakes.

Qualifying for Road Atlanta was finally the break-through for McPhilen, as the Renault driver went on to score his first pole position at a circuit which shouldn't have been kind to the Renault. A first pole was potentially at the hands of BMW driver Alehud42, but could not quite capitalize on the BMW speed.

Race 1 was another first for McPhilen, finishing the race in the lead, but not easily as x Shuffle in the Honda mounted multiple attacks on the Renault driver. 3 times the Honda tried into T1, but with the nature of the corner, it is very difficult to make a pass up the inside unless you get actually ahead going into it. McPhilen almost faltered on the final corner of the final lap, sliding on the inside curb and losing a lot of speed, however x Shuffle couldn't avoid the sliding driver and thus didn't take the lead. The finish line being so soon after the final corner definitely helped McPhilen here.

Race 2 was a bit of a disaster. After starting last, a good start avoiding incidents had McPhilen up to 6th after just T1. Going into T2 though, Alehud42 failed to back out of an ever closing gap and caused contact, sending McPhilen down to last (which became 9th after Alehud42 allowed him back past). After this, a few mistakes from other drivers ahead allowed McPhilen to move up to 6th. Not ideal but better than it could have been in the end.

Race 3 was a good race for McPhilen, avoiding some incidents and making some overtakes to move up and finish 2nd. An early move put McPhilen in 5th, after a clumsy T1 which went three wide with x Shuffle and Alehud42, with the latter coming out the worst and losing out. A move around the outside of team mate FisiFan91 at T5 came next, after being held up by a sliding l RickyTan l. l RickyTan l then came back across the road at the long right hander of T7 and McPhilen had to drop lose time, just as FisiFan91 had. This allowed both FisiFan91 and x Shuffle to challenge coming down the back straight, however both could not make the move stick. The following lap, l RickyTan l went wide at T7 again, but this time McPhilen was able to get down the inside (which later becomes the outside for T8). McPhilen broke earlier than l RickyTan l and was able to use the switchback to move ahead on the exit of the chicane, a very good corner for the Megane. This promoted McPhilen to 3rd, which later became 2nd after a mistake from xII robo IIx on the final lap dropped him down the order.

Race 4 was a poor race for McPhilen. A mistake from McPhilen which almost cost both Renault drivers the race, allowed Kptk92 to get close enough for a dive-bomb into T1, which ended a little clumsily after Kptk92 was pushed onto the curbing, which caused the Ford to straighten out and push McPhilen off of the track. This put McPhilen to 7th, but not too far behind, a total loss of only a couple of seconds. However a mistake from McPhilen a few corners later pushed McPhilen to 9th place being past by wilDtub and oV xB4RDx Vo, which then became 8th after re-passing wilDtub, which then became 9th again after yet another mistake by McPhilen at the final corner. McPhilen was able to re-pass oV xB4RDx Vo, but could not catch the Audi of wilDtub, finishing in 8th.

Race 5 was another race to forget. After a few first lap scuffles, McPhilen found himself up a position in 7th (after starting 8th). However, the scuffles had let the front 5 make a gap to those behind with wilDtub just ahead. The fast wilDtub ahead meant it looked difficult to gain positions, however a mistake from Alehud42 ahead, on lap 4, meant that one more position was gained, up into 6th. Coming to the final lap, the top 6 were quite close, but not close enough for there to be a move. The only chance for McPhilen was to take 5th, and to do this would need to force an error from wilDtub. In trying so though, caused himself to have an incident and relegate him to 8th, after two cars went either side of the Renault driver, in what became a great move for FisiFan91 using the stricken Renault to make a fantastic move around the outside at T7 on oV xS4Mx Vo. Alehud42 almost made a pass on McPhilen but couldn't keep the BMW on the track after already running wide himself.

Overall, for McPhilen the driver said: "It was nice to finally get a win on board for this season, not to mention a first ever Forza pole in any championship, but those final two races... They didn't really help my cause. It was looking to be a stellar night after the first three. Still, it could have been far worse at this track as well."

19. RickyTan

15%
    [​IMG]

BMW leads manufactures
    [​IMG]

BMW’s l RickyTan l leaves Road Atlanta a happy man, taking equal most points out of the 5 races with Kptk92.

The AOR Newcomer qualified on the second row following up it up with a strong finish. In race two he added another win to his tally stealing a win from xll robo llx on the penultimate lap and then another in race 5.

It wasn’t all smooth sailing however as he tangled with championship leader shuffle twice in race 3 hampering both their races with xShuffle coming off much worse allowing kptn92to make ground on the leader. However strong finishes in the other races saw l RickyTan leap to third in the standings and with a strong showing from his team mate Alehud 42 saw BMW take first in the manufacture standings.

“it’s been a great weekend for us. A one-two in race four, and almost again in race five. With both of us getting a win today is what most will call a job well done2

“Once again my race one saw me drop places but this time I was able to make most of them back so overall it was a good week”

“I’m very positive going into Silverstone. With its flat surface and long straights, we should have a good showing especially on the reverse grid races. I expect both BWM’s to have a few podiums coming out of that event”

20. Kez

60%
    [​IMG]
    Kptk92 driving "beyond the limit" as title gap closes
    [​IMG]
    Kptk92 wasn't quite on the ultimate pace at Road Atlanta despite taking the joint-most points on the grid

Ford driver Kptk92 has expressed has satisfaction at closing the Championship lead significantly but was cautious about his prospects as the season enters it's final three meetings.

Kptk92 overachieved in a car which was not expected to fight for victories and podiums at Road Atlanta, taking 3 podiums and finishing the five races no lower than 5th. His points haul was much greater than his main Championship rival x Shuffle, who couldn't extract the potential of his Honda Civic on a circuit which has traditionally been the Civic's stomping ground.

And while it was predicted in pre-season that the Road Atlanta event would play a crucial role for Honda driver in the outcome of his title challenge, the event appears to have been a flagship event for Kptk92 and I RickyTan I - the Ford driver moves to within 5 points of the lead, with the BMW driver taking 2 more wins to go joint-level for the most victories taken this season which has elevated him to 3rd in the standings overall and only 29 points away from the top in what has been a sensational campaign so far.

Kptk92 admits that the top 2 need to keep their eye on the pace-setting BMWs, but that it was more important to stay close to the Championship leader.

"I've been pushing ridiculously hard trying to keep up with these guys," said Kptk92. "I've often been beyond the limit when achieving the results that we have had. We were only racing x Shuffle last week, and if I could keep close to him and limit the damage then I would have considered that a job well done. We really had to dig in deep at Road Atlanta as we thought we were going to get blown away, but circumstances favoured us a little bit and I'm grateful to have closed the gap. Pushing up to the front in race 2 was vital and set me up for the victory in race 3 so it's important to keep taking every chance we get in the races, which we have been so far."

Kptk92 expects the Ford will once again not be as competitive as he would like at Silverstone due to the straight-line deficiency of the Focus, but is hopeful of cutting the gap to the top even more: "We're not going to be fast in qualifying but the field will be extremely close during the races. I just need to take the chances that come to me and go for it.

"The Road Atlanta event is my benchmark to emulate for the next three weeks. The car should be a lot stronger in the final two meets (at Long Beach and Laguna Seca) but I will give 110% to keep up with the top guys."

The BTCC paddock heads home to Silverstone for Rounds 26-30, with eyes on I RickyTan I and xII robo IIx as they look to capitalise on their car performances around the National circuit, a track defined by just 4 major corners and two long straights.