AOR Clio Cup - Feedback Thread | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Clio Cup - Feedback Thread

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014
As this last night was my final race of the season, thought it would be a good time to post my feedback on the League and also offer the opportunity for everyone else across all the platforms to post their feedback for the coordinators to read and consider for future leagues.

Please when posting your feedback, be constructive and include what platform you're on, as there may be some platform specific points that may not be an issue on other platforms.

So from me, on PC:
- Really enjoy the Clio's, great fun to drive and really liked the fact the leagues was default setup, taking out the equation of making tweaks and purely relying on driver skill. Would definitely like to see more of these cars in the future.
- Track selection was a bit interesting for me. I won't be doing Monza next week but the Short version of the track is exactly that, very short with not really much to it. Might be great for slipstreaming though, but would have preferred something that pushed the cars a little more. Barcelona was great fun, no problems there. Sakitto was great, just unfortunate couple of races on my end with collisions. Wasn't a big fan of Rouen, as although I enjoyed the challenge of driving it, was quite frequent crashes in the first sector, with one big pile up on the PC side in the Feature race on lap 2.
- Enjoyed the reverse grid format. Something different and a nice challenge. Might need a few tweaks to plug a couple of holes but overall I thought it worked well and provided a nice challenge to keep the racing close and action packed.

Some more things to work on, some of which may be platform specific:
- I'm not a fan of doing driver interviews on the streams between the sprint and feature race, both as a viewer and also as a driver. Last night's round at Rouen, we had 10-15 minutes of waiting for people to finish interviews between the two races, meaning those who didn't go anywhere or needed the break were sat waiting for quite a period of time, dumping adrenaline from the first race. As a viewer, I'm there to watch the action and having a lengthy break between the two races could easily turn me off from watching and moving away from the stream. In future, I think it would be best to limit the time between the two races to just 2-3 minutes. Should be enough time for drivers to take a quick toilet break if needed, and time for anyone who disconnected from the first race to get back into the lobby for the second and get things underway. It also minimizes down time on the stream for viewers too.
- Can take a while to re-arrange the grid order for the second race, but I think as time goes on and we do it more, that will get quicker anyway.

Reactions: Royalt and Asturbo

Royalt

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 4, 2019
So a few highs and lows from my point of view (PC Master Race) on this league so far...

Highs:
- I seriously enjoy the Renault Clio and having it locked to default setups makes just so much more fun and challenging to race. It allows one as a driver to learn and improve rather than relying on tweaking of the setups.
- The track selection was rather interesting, from short to long to short distances and from wide open spaces to curbs that will kill you without hesitation.
- I love the reverse grid for the feature race, it makes it much more exciting and even if you are the back of the grid, the chances of fighting with the faster guys and learning is just that much greater.
- I had my fair share of ups and downs the last 6 races but i don't think i ever finished a race feeling negative about the results. The racing was clean.....ish and everyone was rather respectful, this is probably the most favourite league i have partook in since i started Sim racing.

And now the Lows:
- As awesome as the reverse grid is, it is also a pain when there is little to no cooperation from the drivers that were affected by the reverse grid... I remember Race 2 at Sakitto where i was lucky enough to be involved and i already knew exactly where i needed to be, what i needed to do and how i had to go about it... I think with a little more cooperation and some reading of the rules for all of us, the whole reverse grid would be perfectly nailed.
- Communication and timing is probably something that will improve as we progress...
- The fact that this is just a filler league and only has 4 rounds :(

Asturbo

AOR PC Winter Champion 2020 & PC Clio Cup Champion
Jun 9, 2019
Some thoughts:

• I agree with Yorkie that the pause between races should be shorter. I don’t have schedule problems, but for some people perhaps that makes to finish too late.

• I love the car, probably one of my favourites in PC2 and I really enjoy the league.

• The track selection was good, except the last race (IMO). All the tracks up now was very demanding with this car, but the last one it isn’t. Only two turns and slipstream. I would prefer a more challenging track as Monaco that with this car is absolutely amazing.

• I like the reverse grid system and the length duration was perfect. Sure that in the future with PC3 we have the option of sorting grids, because it was a hard work for organizers.

• Probably I have some luck in the league, but I didn’t have any incident, so I have to congratulate everyone I race with, because most races was amazing.

• In the second race, the faster guys was very patient and don’t made risky moves over slower drivers to recover positions. I think that the longer length of the second race helped in this.

• As commented in other post, the need of refuelling made races more interesting. It wasn’t planned, but was good for the league.

• Organizer almost forced us to make teams and that was good. We can share tips, colaborate in the race and improve faster togheter.

• I like fixed setups: only driving. The default of this car are very good for this. In other leagues with open setups everybody could think that aliens have “magic setups” that make them 1” faster. @Mr. Van Ommen has demonstrated that aliens, are aliens in every circumstance. We only have to congratulate him because only hands makes the difference in these conditions.

• Also congratulate organizers and specially @TicklishPicklewickle for all the effort to keep PC2 competitions alive, and commentators that made a brilliant job. I missed @Yorkie065 , but definitely I prefer him on the track (better just behind me ;)).

Fatworm

Pro Karter
Jan 28, 2020
Hi All,

This is my first time racing within a group - previously just competed in Online lobbies which is something I will probably rarely go back to. I think the standard here is so much better here.

I think the system is great and much appreciate the effort that goes into it plus the 'banter' on comms, makes me laugh :). I realize that I'm never going to compete with the likes of the top players (I'm just too old and slow!).

The reverse grid system I think is excellent, and gives those of us who are not the quickest something to aim for. Possibly look at a reverse system for the top 20 to reflect the points that are on offer, current system is fine though. I don't feel that 2 tier system would work longer term. My experience of this in life has been that after the initial period where everyone is keen people start to drop out and then summer arrives etc, etc.

The track choices and length of races have been excellent, my favourite being the last one Rouen. I would struggle with a race longer than 40 mins from a concentration point of view and to have 2 races of 20 mins and 40 mins is good. The commitment to practice and then set aside close to 2 1/2 hours is not always a way to please your better half/partner etc! Luckily I have an understanding wife (maybe not when she finds out that I want to upgrade to Nvidia RTX 2080Ti), new monitor and gaming chair!!).
I like the race set up with having to pit and maybe think about the strategy with your refueling.

The Clio is a great car never raced it before and I love it now and its great that we race on default set ups - I think it makes it fairer.

I love racing all types of car and love the Vintage, Group5, group 4, Group A etc so I'd like to see more of this - don't mind GT3.

The interviewing timings is difficult one - I guess this is done whilst it's fresh in peoples minds - I've usually forgotten what's happened 10 minutes ago! It adds to the atmosphere but perhaps there ought to be just a 5 minute break for interviews, coffee, alcohol or a nice bit of crumpet!

Most of the problems reported by players on game play would be resolved by people reading and understanding the rules as laid out in the beginning - it is, however, a learning curve for newbies, it was and still is massive for me.

I'd be interested to know if most people play in cockpit, I'd like to it to be cockpit only but would that reduce numbers?

Once again thanks to all the people that make this possible - looking forward to Round 4 and beyond!

Last edited:
Reactions: Asturbo and Royalt

Hydranockz

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Sep 25, 2018
Hey folks,

Worth noting that I'm on Xbox and that this was my first AOR league in Project Cars 2. I had taken part in the last F1 2019 season but below are my thoughts;

- The organisation of the filler league is stellar. Top to bottom, from the forums themselves to getting lobbies setup, no bad experiences.

- The forced default setup were the reason I signed up for this league. I had really wanted a change from F1 and having one less thing to worry about was really enticing. Couple that with the fact that the Clio Cup car wasn't run too often and it meant that the field were on a fairer footing whether you were a regular in the PC leagues or a complete newcomer. I would personally love to have a full length season with the default setup but I'd concede that it might not be an opinion shared with many others. To that end, a 4 round off-season league was the perfect spot for it.

- Reverse grid has been great on Xbox. It does put an emphasis on knowing the proper rules for the rolling starts because people who aren't used to leading the pack could suddenly find themselves determining when the pack goes at the start. Wasn't an issue in the races I've been in, but definitely something to keep in mind.

- The calendar was nice and varied. Really enjoyed the variance in skills that end up being put on display. Sakitto in the rain to Rouen at night was an experience! Monza feels like it'll be a bit... plain? Could be a bit anti-climactic but time will tell. Race lengths were spot on too.

- The banter was always great fun in the lobbies and it was appreciated that it died down during race/quali sessions. I've poked around each of the platform forums and obviously different groups of people will have different interactions but what I really enjoyed seeing was the help given on every one of them. Rouen was going to be more of a nightmare for a lot of people but some absolutely cracking advice mitigated a lot of carnage (except maybe that one PC incident ;)). Maybe this was down to the low-stakes, off-season nature of this league, but it was great to see.

DrummerJ92

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 31, 2017
As this last night was my final race of the season, thought it would be a good time to post my feedback on the League and also offer the opportunity for everyone else across all the platforms to post their feedback for the coordinators to read and consider for future leagues.

Please when posting your feedback, be constructive and include what platform you're on, as there may be some platform specific points that may not be an issue on other platforms.

So from me, on PC:
- Really enjoy the Clio's, great fun to drive and really liked the fact the leagues was default setup, taking out the equation of making tweaks and purely relying on driver skill. Would definitely like to see more of these cars in the future.
- Track selection was a bit interesting for me. I won't be doing Monza next week but the Short version of the track is exactly that, very short with not really much to it. Might be great for slipstreaming though, but would have preferred something that pushed the cars a little more. Barcelona was great fun, no problems there. Sakitto was great, just unfortunate couple of races on my end with collisions. Wasn't a big fan of Rouen, as although I enjoyed the challenge of driving it, was quite frequent crashes in the first sector, with one big pile up on the PC side in the Feature race on lap 2.
- Enjoyed the reverse grid format. Something different and a nice challenge. Might need a few tweaks to plug a couple of holes but overall I thought it worked well and provided a nice challenge to keep the racing close and action packed.

Some more things to work on, some of which may be platform specific:
- I'm not a fan of doing driver interviews on the streams between the sprint and feature race, both as a viewer and also as a driver. Last night's round at Rouen, we had 10-15 minutes of waiting for people to finish interviews between the two races, meaning those who didn't go anywhere or needed the break were sat waiting for quite a period of time, dumping adrenaline from the first race. As a viewer, I'm there to watch the action and having a lengthy break between the two races could easily turn me off from watching and moving away from the stream. In future, I think it would be best to limit the time between the two races to just 2-3 minutes. Should be enough time for drivers to take a quick toilet break if needed, and time for anyone who disconnected from the first race to get back into the lobby for the second and get things underway. It also minimizes down time on the stream for viewers too.
- Can take a while to re-arrange the grid order for the second race, but I think as time goes on and we do it more, that will get quicker anyway.
Wish we had commentary and interviews on Xbox

Raoualf21731

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 27, 2020
I bought a wheel a few weeks ago and Project Cars some days before the beginning of this championship, so I didn’t have many expectations about the organisation and my performances.

It happened that both went pretty well and I enjoyed so much racing with everyone!

Unfortunately, I did everything to ruin the race to victory in the championship with at least one stupid mistake every week:
  • Pressing a button on my wheel to disconnect me after taking the pole in race 1
  • Messing up with the race limiter button in the pits in race 4 (never practised that before)
  • A false start in race 5
  • And eventually getting out of the lobby after a pole and a win and waiting for no reason for another invitation to pop up, before realizing that race 8 started without me.
Perhaps a tooltip for the newbies would be interesting? I’m sure you all did some very stupid mistakes too when you began.

Purely on the organisation side:
  • I’m amazed at seeing how professional it looks. I don’t know how much time you spend every week working on this but this is a world-class work. Thank you so much for doing this, really. This goes especially to @Michel--NL of course.
  • I feel that all the racers were overall very respectful. We never thank the backmarkers but we should, as they did everything, especially in Rouen, for the fight at the top to go on fully.

On the races:
  • I loved the Clios and as far as my short experience can tell, I feel like Touring Cars are just so great to drive. You can’t have huge differences so it gives everyone a chance to compete. I see that you only use TCs as transition championships between GT3 series, but I would definitely jump on a full TC championship.
  • I also liked very much the mandatory setup, which made the races all about pure driving
  • We should be clearer before the race on how to organise ourselves during the rolling start (pole on the right or the left side). I remember that at least in Rouen, we started from the wrong side and I felt that we got confused up to the point that there were almost some contacts behind, before the start. Showing a quick reminder of this on the first post in the thread of the race would be just enough to prevent this to happen.
  • In my opinion, 30 minutes for the main race would be enough as it was some sprint and not endurance racing. You'd have enough time to overtake the guys in front in 30 minutes. No big deal though, 40 minutes is still okay. I just think it is not necessary and maybe not fully optimal.
  • The track selection was very good. Interesting to see that it completely differed from the one you find in the career mode. Maybe Monaco would have been really interesting too. I thought that Monza short would be slightly boring but @Tomji_ and I in race 7 showed that it can lead to amazing 20-minute fights
  • Maybe we should be clearer on how much time we can relax between the two races.

Overall it was just very, very good and so much fun. Thank you guys, again, for making this possible!

EikeSky

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Oct 4, 2017
- I'm not a fan of doing driver interviews on the streams between the sprint and feature race, both as a viewer and also as a driver. Last night's round at Rouen, we had 10-15 minutes of waiting for people to finish interviews between the two races, meaning those who didn't go anywhere or needed the break were sat waiting for quite a period of time, dumping adrenaline from the first race.
I agree with Yorkie that the pause between races should be shorter. I don’t have schedule problems, but for some people perhaps that makes to finish too late.
The interviewing timings is difficult one - I guess this is done whilst it's fresh in peoples minds - I've usually forgotten what's happened 10 minutes ago! It adds to the atmosphere but perhaps there ought to be just a 5 minute break for interviews, coffee, alcohol or a nice bit of crumpet!
FWIW, the reason for having interviews was because the lull between the two sessions made for quite a bit of dead space in the stream, and with so many drivers, it seemed like at least one person would want to drop in to have a (PG rated) rant about the previous events, or to celebrate their result. I never meant for the feature race to be delayed because of it, and am sorry if did end up delaying any sessions.