AOR - Erti's Extraordinary Experience | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR - Erti's Extraordinary Experience

• ANNOUNCEMENT: Sign-ups are OPEN for Season 19 of the AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues on F1 2019!
    They are closing on 29th February, so be quick! Head to the League Forums for more information.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
@iJokeri22 - Havni really spoke to oor pal Joker that much, he watches old F1 races and plays FM2016 instead of racing these days....get a PC and iRacing and we can be back on the track together eh
Thanks Erti that does pretty much sum me up nicely except I've now moved on to FM 18, as for iRacing who knows what the future holds but right now I'm just enjoy taking a break and not racing/practicing every night of the week after 6 years of league racing.

Oh yeah and the reason you only have one penalty is because a certain incident wasn't taken to the stewards because you LIED and said your recording didn't work. :p

Have a question (since im 13 and pretty new to online comunities):does enybody know why did ARL stop? @Erti147 @Dan Hawkins
Basically the guy who ran the site just shut it down one evening without any notice. I believe it was exactly 4 years ago tonight.

AbsoLutLoL

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks Erti that does pretty much sum me up nicely except I've now moved on to FM 18, as for iRacing who knows what the future holds but right now I'm just enjoy taking a break and not racing/practicing every night of the week after 6 years of league racing.

Oh yeah and the reason you only have one penalty is because a certain incident wasn't taken to the stewards because you LIED and said your recording didn't work. :p

Basically the guy who ran the site just shut it down one evening without any notice. I believe it was exactly 4 years ago tonight.
Oh wow... Thats sad, but thanks for the context

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
That was my favourite moment of the year from you :p

And I'll try not to crash again when we're in the lead...only every other time. ;)

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
That was my favourite moment of the year from you :p

And I'll try not to crash again when we're in the lead...only every other time. ;)
Aye that was a pretty funny moment should of put that in :D

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I would say I miss you mate but there's no vote to kick button on F1 anymore lol. Btw I heard that stupid take that song the other day n had to explain to the missus why I hate this song lol

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
I would say I miss you mate but there's no vote to kick button on F1 anymore lol. Btw I heard that stupid take that song the other day n had to explain to the missus why I hate this song lol
I would say I miss you as well but it took you over 2 years to read my 2016 post so I suppose you don't really miss me :rofl:

• Agree
Reactions: LC SPEED DEMON

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
8 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

HELLO THERE AND WELCOME to Erti's 8 year AOR anniversary post. The best thing you'll read all year. All about ma life and the ongoing trials and tribulations and tales of woe. 4 years on since my first iteration of ma life story already. Again you'll read about the ups and downs of the past 2 years, personally and AOR related. I feel a need to post these just because y'know. It's what you've all clearly been waiting for, and depending on how a fast reader you are, it'll only take between 10mins – 1 hour.

But before that you have the chance to potentially triple your time loss and read 2016 first, then 2017, then 2018.

Ok continuing from last time out I'll say it wasn't really a normal year (or two) :whistle:

Will try put this in date order but bits here and there will be together. We'll start with real life. The last time I posted was Jan 2018. Why? Tired from work - at least I don't have that worry for a job now though.

The first highlight of 2018 was in March that year heading down to Birmingham for Dan's wedding. This meant an hour and half bus to Carlisle to then get the train. Now as far as I can remember, this was my first time on a train in ma life would you believe. Went for 1st class as well. Anyway got off at New Street and was expecting Dan to pick me up. This was the first time meeting him bearing in mind. There he pulled up with one of his kids, opened up his boot, was like 'Hiya - a ken av never physically met you but am just opening up yer boot and putting ma suitcase in OK?" Did that, and went back into the station to meet Fisi for the first time. There he appeared from the crowd of people, and all of a sudden this stranger had lifted me in the air and spun em around. In these very strange few minutes I was in car of 3 strangers and headed back to strangers house. Yet it didn't feel strange at the time cos I'd speaking to these guys for years.

Stopped for a pizza, got to Dan's house and settled down for the night. Next day, had a take out English breakfast, put on ma suit and went to a pub in Bromsgrove before the reception. I didn't drink anything but what was there was a full size snooker table. As a big snooker fan and having not had the opportunity to play on a full size table was something that always irked at me. But me n Fisi played a few shots but his technique needed a lot of work. Was just getting to work on his V shape before we had to go. Got to the church reception and me n Fisi tragically sat in our own row, surrounded by people who and no clue who we were and vice versa. Got a bit teary during the reception I have to admit. Took a load of photos outside and then we headed out to the meal and for drinks.

Fisi announcing Hype sponsorship

I was planning to do a speech at the meal but that ever came to fruition. They didn't have Tennents either. However I had a few pints of whatever it was while Fisi had nothing - but he got on the dance floor to the Cha cha cha at least. One of Dan's brothers was totally off his face and kept coming across to us to talk shite, that was funny. Went home about 1am sloshed - Dan sat in the front of the taxi giving the driver sexual advice - was funny as.

Woke up early for the Australian GP of course - wish I hadn't seeing how the race went. Ham not winning and Fisi was even more angry considering the Haas pitstops. Some time after the race I had to be sick in Dan toilet. As I was running to the toilet though, I had my mouth covered but sick sprayed out both sides, a bit like if you were spraying air freshener. Then I got a bit on the toilet wall, then did it in the actual toilet. :sick: I felt like absolute shite that morning, but I had to feel better because were going karting that lunchtime. Bit nervy as a hungover Dan was driving us there. But we got there safely, and I met one of a good pals Stevie for the first time, same with @UrBaNz Octane and @Jamie183.

This was ma first time karting and wasn't sure how ma body would cope physically, forget about the previous night. I managed the 15 minute practice/quali, of which I was at the front of the slow down lap at the end. So we formed up in line just before the final corner to sort the grid. I sat there watching everyone go past, I looked behind at the remaining few boys and girls, and was passed by all of them. So I started last, was about half a lap behind them all after 2 laps then I just retired cos ma arms hurt and yeah am a pussy. Good thing I only paid for that karting session because the faster karts afterwards were unreal.

left to right, Jamie, me, stevie, tierney, fis, dan - ancient picture now

Had to rush off to get back to New Street from Tamworth to catch the train to Carlisle and only just made it with a couple minutes to go - still have nightmares about missing that train cos it would've cost £80 for a new ticket. Got to Carlisle for the bus home - sat behind me was Fisi dropping off to sleep as dark fell that Sunday night. A big slap woke him up when we got home. This was another surreal moment as someone who I had barely met IRL was in ma bedroom. Could've stabbed him when he was asleep but didn't do it. Went touring Edinburgh the next day and all that, ma legs nearly fell off I never done so much walking. Then just like that was back off to Norway - great weekend though meeting the friends I'd always wanted to.

----

Not been a good couple years concerning family dogs. In May 2018, Milly our King Charles spaniel developed an enlarged heart, put her on pills for a few weeks, but one night actually collapsed in from of me and couldn't move, had to put her down that night. Had just made it to 9 years old a couple days prior.
Then earlier this year ma old dog, the cocker spaniel Kendi died at 14 and half. That was a painful 3 weeks, she had developed very quick non stop breathing. Lumps had spread to her lungs. Still remember the night picking her up as a puppy in Newcastle in 2004. I'll always remember her birthday cos it was the same day ma late nana taught me to swim, 15th November 2004 - (that date will crop up again) The last day she didn't know where she was, could barely stand - maybe a day too much. Last memory I have was watching her get put down, peaceful again, warm paws.

Y'know how I hate to miss league races, well it was a Friday night that happened, so I didn't race. But a few of the guys knew ma dog died and they put on parade lap in the practice session for ma dog, which was cool.
New puppy, is same colour as Kendi and kinda has personality of Milly. Long live Lola. and of course props go to 5 year old Chester who has lost 2 pals and then got one back. :)

Dad lost his job Nov 15th 2018. He'd made a mistake for the first time after having worked there for 27 years, had to resign. In the following February he was banned from driving for 12 months - so you can probably narrow down what he did work as. Was a massive struggle to begin with financially for the family, and for a couple months the family kinda relied on me. But luckily he got himself into a well known supermarket Xmas 2018 and since then picked up more and more shifts and has been in there full time since Spring of last year. With the driving ban has come a bit of a more burden on me having to drive everyone everywhere - making a couple weekdays longer due to picking him up after work to get shopping. Hopefully only 3-4 months left till we back to normality.

In August 2019 ma car broke down. Just as I was driving home the engine cut out. Waited 2 hours for someone to come down from Edinburgh to the Borders. Couldn't fix it there, so got towed 20 miles home. Had finished work at 4.30pm that day, got home bout 9.30.....turned out it was water on the ECU. Was a pretty chronic problem from reading on internet, so ended up trading it in for £350 and getting a car on finance. Bit **** considering I bought it for £2k 14 months prior. So basically don't get a 2008 Peugeot 207. Get a Japanese car.

and of course 2019 marked 10 years since a lost ma best pal Anthony - as I've said before losing him is what has made AOR mean so much to me and why I feel a reason to keep writing.

----

Now back to AOR. Over the past couple years there's been a few up and downs. Most of the ups include getting all the sponsors and livestreams of the leagues - fantastic how these have enabled us to grow as a league and brand. Dan getting the job with Codemasters as Esports Coordinator. That in itself is unreal and how he's had a say in what we see now through the official F1 Esports Series. Majority of the drivers in the series have raced here with us.

Goes without saying if it wasn't for AOR, the Esports wouldn't have happened this quickly. It probably would have happened, but not until a few more years down the line. Maybe quicker than I think with Liberty Media coming in of course.

The big downer of the past two years was of course not getting funding we were promised- of course off the back of that you make promises to the community and when they don't happen - you get criticism from all angles. Releasing that statement telling everyone the truth was kind of a relief.
Going forward I think we just have to build on what we have. More people competing across more games than ever. Becoming a company had a weird effect on everyone at the beginning - all of a sudden you've got to be more serious and professional to please everyone. We learnt to deal with that corporate side and are certainly in a better position for it. Personally I'd like a bit more of that relaxed feeling before all this began, whatever that means. We've been through the **** now lets go forward, focused on that passion of racing and growing the community. (y)

Something that's almost been missed is that we've just hit the 10 year anniversary of this community - which I might do a separate post on that, though its taken a lot of work just for this one I wouldn't hold your breath. I actually have a couple video ideas in my head but would take ages themselves to organise and edit etc. One was a 10 year anniversary video of some league racing footage. Another was doing like AOR Legend interviews, but there like dreams way off that would take time and decent equipment which I don't have.

----

League racing has became few and far between for myself at least. Unfortunately due to circumstances on iRacing, with cars changing, new cars coming out, new tyre models - has really reduced numbers in the single seater league. Meanwhile the GTE league has been thriving, but am even shitter in that. I was decent at Touring cars but some folk couldn't be arsed driving it so participation in that league depleted quickly. So here's hoping we can get the single seater leagues back to their best again. (see signature for career league stats - haven't updated them this decade though) 12 wins in 727 races = 1.650618982118294 win percentage can't get much better than that. :cool:

There were a couple of things to note in other iRacing events though. In 2018 I won the Indy 500, only Split 7 like but y'know it was hard work. I like talking bout it. Then the following year I got 2nd, but was in Split 13, won't bother explaining the drop in standards like. Also in June 2019 we were on course to catch the leader in the final hour of Le Mans, but Fisi binned it on the bumpy hard shoulder of Mulsanne straight hahaha what a tit.

In February 2018 we founded Team AOR, a team that was primarily based for iRacing. I approached @Daniel Morris and we took the Red Devils Sim Racing drivers and renamed it. We had a good handful of drivers and the goal was mainly to compete in the single seater leagues and endurance events. We've picked up a few drivers who subsequently left for the big teams - and that's something I'm kinda proud of. Daniel's done an amazing job on the social media side of things on Twitter etc especially with graphics as well. I had been hoping to take it further, have drivers representing the team across different games etc but that's not happened. In the past 6 months we've not really done anything, we have drivers who continue to race in the AOR leagues but at it's a bit stale. Doesn't help with the single seater league not doing so well but again, here's hoping we can reignite that and the team somehow.

Within the last 15 months ish, I actually went and did some commentary, this being on PC F11 and PC F8. Quite enjoyed it actually and I think you should watch some of it on ma channel aye. Big challenge was trying to speak clearly, up to you whether I succeeded or not if you watch the vids haha. That was amongst any voice breaks. Just another chance to laugh at myself.

On Tuesday nights the Football Manager league has still been going - I won the prem and champions league wi Man Utd, could only dream of that in real life now. Also only won it cos none of the other humans chose a top 6 team. Nothing's happened in the league the last couple months but we'll see if we get back into it in this new decade

----

Met Fisi for the second time over ma bday weekend in Feb 2019 - did more Edinburgh, went bowling and ****. First time I've been bowling a think in ma life.....Aye up until a couple years ago a hadn't been on a train and been bowling lol - hadn't lived till now. After being in Edinburgh and played some pool and watched some snooker we went to ma house to watch Man Utd v Liverpool, which was kinda the main draw for organising the whole thing as he's a Lpool fan. Typically ended 0-0. Actually maybe a good thing Lpool didn't win or a might have had to stab him on this visit.

snooker

legs falling off again

amazing

bowling

-----

On the subject of stewarding now we've made a lot more progress over the last couple of years, especially in 2018 with a new platform focused system for staff behind the scenes. This encouraged stewards to give their opinions with a reduced workload. Along with the addition of more to help, the system is even more efficient. Though we can always improve and will continue to do so. At the start of Season 16 after Australia we had 105 enquiries. Have come far from years ago when we had maybe 20-30 a week across all platforms. That weekend we had like 30 per platform, was insane. Though I think since then numbers have dropped slightly thankfully. :D

-----

Also, I'm Admin now. Regular member 8 years ago now am admin can you believe it. A can't. Tbh the admins are having a bit of time off so I suggested the idea that it would look better if an admin was on the forum every day, ready fr anything. Mind I think I did a decent job before that.
There's a few things I'd like to fix and update and when the tools are available they'll get done. Am mainly managing everything other than the technical back end stuff really but I do what I can. Dan still the man for that.

----

Now a need to mention other stand out staff who aren't the admins

@Stevie stepped down as SMod mid 2019 to focus on real life. Reasonable excuse I suppose. He did so much for the PCars and iRacing GTE leagues. Am sure he knows how much I and everyone appreciates him.

@Stephan also left as Smod, did a great job on various games, mainly PCARS and iRacing but again work was appreciated old man.

@DemoN as well, same as above. Actually nah only gettin a mention cos he's a Blackpool fan.

@King-kodiak - best commentator we've ever had. Doing a bit less commentary at the moment but brings the action to life more than anyone. Takes me a while to wake up in the mornings so I might edit clip from one of your intros and use it as an alarm. "GOOD AFTERMORNING"

@FernandoM76 Social media man we imported from Portugal. But we call him Spanish. Has taken our socials to a whole new level and audience. Get the cock out mate dunno what else to say.

@BosslyGaming this boy has done so much work on here the past couple years. When he became Smod he could have just sat back and relaxed but he keeps going. Still young as well. Underappreciated, staff member of the year.(y)

@Curly - He's a mod and he's Scottish and there isn't any better comparison.

@SMEAJ - This boy kinda reminds me of me - useful staff member with much banter with great future. Keep it up mate. Though in any other league races we're close on pace ever again, don't come near me or I'll brake test you. Actually really enjoyed beating you in Oulton Park in TCR on pure pace.

@Steve Jackson is still here with us, been here roughly same time as me...well forum wise that is, he's double my age so he wins there.

@iJokeri22 - Kinda remember now and again that if it wasn't for him, I might not be where I am now. I had been GRID Cod but always wanted to be an F1 Cod, and he said he wanted help (he didn't really need it - corrupt man getting his friend as staff) and requested me to be added. So cheers mate. I know you've been going through tough times lately with Ferrari y'know. So desperate to see a Ferrari win a world title you recently bought F1 2005 DVD review BRAND NEW AT £15 WHAT A TOOL. Then in an alternate universe where you aren't an F1 expert you remembered 'oh **** it was 2004 I shoulda got'.

Actually last minute thing am typing this up just before posting - @AOR Benjamin hope things are on the up for you mate. And @Jess love the enthusiasm keep it going. ;)

the discord bantz crew know who they are (look at 2017 post if you don't)

Many thanks to the rest of the staff as well, greatly appreciate the work you do. And the commentators. Shoutout to my stewards

Of course special mention to Lewis Hamilton 6 time champion of the world. So hope he can get to 7 at least. Even if he doesn't though, I still feel like he's finally got what he's deserved at least, more titles than Vettel. Had to get that in there. :p

----

Well that's yer lot for this year and maybe next as well – heading for 10 years in 2022 if we're still here eh lol. Bet you didn't read all 3300+ words but if you did, thanks very much. :)

Have a gid new year everyone and all see ya around. ;)

Evan

@The Genius

Last edited:

BlackPanthor

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2018
Much apreciated to tell us your story... not gonna lie but ypu inspire me to be so enthousiastic about aor being part in your life and i think we (drivers) will support you guys forever and trybto do what we can to keep it fun ^^
Cheers Erti and aor crew ^^

Reactions: Erti147

Sarv_H25

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Dec 27, 2018
That. was. epic.

AOR keeps on building to improve sim racing esports each day. Lets keep it coming lads. Bright future ahead... Cheers

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
@iJokeri22 - Kinda remember now and again that if it wasn't for him, I might not be where I am now. I had been GRID Cod but always wanted to be an F1 Cod, and he said he wanted help (he didn't really need it - corrupt man getting his friend as staff) and requested me to be added. So cheers mate. I know you've been going through tough times lately with Ferrari y'know. So desperate to see a Ferrari win a world title you recently bought F1 2005 DVD review BRAND NEW AT £15 WHAT A TOOL. Then in an alternate universe where you aren't an F1 expert you remembered 'oh **** it was 2004 I shoulda got'.
Yeah you need to thank me more often for that and the DVD was worth every penny although as you say 2004 would have probably been a better purchase.
#Leclerc2020ChampionbecauseHamiltonretiresfromtheleadinVietnamyouhearditherefirst

• Optimistic
  • Scared
Reactions: Erti147 and SMEAJ

King-kodiak

Loud, Round & Proud
AOR Commentator
May 10, 2016
@King Kodiak - best commentator we've ever had. Doing a bit less commentary at the moment but brings the action to life more than anyone. Takes me a while to wake up in the mornings so I might edit clip from one of your intros and use it as an alarm. "GOOD AFTERMORNING"
You could have at least @'d me correctly :p

Its been a pleasure to be part of the commentary team, and I have had tremendous support from everyone at AOR in not just my own commentaries, but what I've tried to do as head commentator.
I may well have backed off my commentary commitments of late, but AOR will always be a huge part of my commentary career, and I will always be thankful for that.

Keep up the great work Evan

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Yeah you need to thank me more often for that and the DVD was worth every penny although as you say 2004 would have probably been a better purchase.
#Leclerc2020ChampionbecauseHamiltonretiresfromtheleadinVietnamyouhearditherefirst
@iJokeri22 I have 2007, that has 'Stealth Kimi' @ Ferrari or was it more that HAM & ALO were too busy tripping over each other and Spygate? I watch it when I feel masochistic. McLaren are getting on with the 30 years in the wilderness that Liverpool FC have had to endure, so maybe a WDC by 2038? (The CWC is overdue since 1998, so that looks like 40 years in the wilderness).

@Erti147 Evan, great post mate, but seeing as I have to make it about me, thanks for reminding everyone how old I am.... :p Here's to the next post. (y)

Jess

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Jun 4, 2017
Love the post @Erti147 :) Great that AOR has come so far recently and I am so glad to be apart of an amazing community. Well done for all the hard work you put into AOR by the way and it was nice reading your story on what happened to you. Took me a while to read it, but it was so worth it. Thanks for all you have done and keep up the good work. Can't wait for more things to come from you at AOR.

And I will keep up the enthusiasm don't you worry Erti ;)