Round 11 - Austrian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

***BANNER HERE***

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 22nd November 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Red Bull Ring
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

***BANNER HERE***

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Douwe_C

Formula Karter
Hello everyone! I am sorry for this, but I have to miss the race again for tonight. I was hoping that I was going to make it with traveling back from my business trip, but due to corona situation I will not make it sadly.

Next week I will be racing again for sure! Have fun tonight everyone! :)(y)

CragglesD

F1 Senna Equivalent
Q 8th: R 5th

Very pleased with that race. Besides picking up 2x 3sec penalties, it was one of my cleanest and most consistent races and happy to finish just 12 secs off the lead with no safety cars. Shout out to @Worthingtonio for his great comeback drive to 3rd after being sent from 2nd to last in quali following an in-game DSQ. He also picked up no time penalties so very polished and how you recover from disappointment!

Quali

Finally put together a solid lap on my third attempt to jump up to 8th. Run 2 was looking good too but @Philip_66 baulked my in S2 on his inlap.

Race

Decent start, focusing to stay out of wing smash territory. Took inside of t1 as a number ran wide, which got me past @ShaunG123's Ferrari. At t2 a space opened on the outside so took that to find some clear space to avoid any smashy smashy. I did feel a push from the rear under braking but didn't seem any damage came from it. More chaos in t2 got me up to 6th. @byGerjo shortly span off as well.

I was behind @LUISO_1995. Lost touch of DRS after a few laps and eventually @Paddy0h_ caught up. I decided not to fight hard, thinking it would be more in my interest to latch onto his DRS and save fuel and hopefully catch up to others. This worked well as I could stick with @Paddy0h_ and it helped me pull further away from those behind.

Parcero/@Daviotero_38(?) went off at t3 in the middle of the first stint, giving @Paddy0h_ and me another position. So I was 5th.

Lap 14 some of the leaders pitted. Race order was @Psycodelic1a, @Paddy0h_, me. @Worthingtonio had moved up the field on his mediums too. Think he was 6 secs or so behind me.

VSC then came out midway round lap 15 and us top 3 pitted. Like Canada, I got lucky again. Defo gained some time but VSC ended as I entered my box so not as big a gain as could have been.

Although I was close behind @Paddy0h_ when we pitted, the VSC allowed him to just jump ahead of @LUISO_1995. I was under 2 secs back but just couldn't quite close the gap to get DRS. It was under 1.5s at one point. So that was annoying.

Picked up some penalties in the second stint. Most annoying was lap 31 when in little over a single lap I cut the last turn, then t1, then t1 next lap, pushing me up to 6 secs penalties! GRR! :( At that point I became more worried about losing places from those behind catching up.

A recovering @byGerjo caught up and I let him pass easily too; again thinking it'll be better for me to latch onto him and pull me towards the @LUISO_1995- @Paddy0h_ fight. But @byGerjo's recovery was shortlived as he immediately span off exiting t4!!! :rolleyes: @LUISO_1995 had also now passed @Paddy0h_.

Next up was @Worthingtonio charging through on his softs. He passed @Nuttcat then quickly caught me by lap 33. Again, I capitulated as knew it would only damage my race fighting him and my real fight now was with @Nuttcat who was 3 secs behind but only had 3 sec pens to my 6 secs.

Lap 33, second VSC, at which point @LUISO_1995-@SonicWPR gate happened. Up to 5th again as I passed him. Then a 2 lap dash to the line to stay ahead of @Nuttcat.

@Worthingtonio's tyres (and fuel/ERS) looked utterly dead on the last lap, whereas I could still use Rich and some ERS, and I finished just 0.5 secs behind him with DRS over the line and I stayed ahead of @Nuttcat by 0.1s! Phew!!! :D

A Note on @LUISO_1995-@SonicWPR gate

I've seen the video now and can understand @LUISO_1995's anger given he's leading the championship through consistency (despite only one win) against arguably 2 or 3 faster drivers. Clearly @SonicWPR has made errors. At t2 it looks like he was fighting with someone else and misjudged his braking, which spooked @LUISO_1995. The takeout incident looks like @SonicWPR clearly went into him at t1. The VSC had just come out so I dunno if he got caught out by this as dunno why he'd be trying to overtake under VSC.

Having said that, @SonicWPR did apologise in his first message on the chat. The toxic in-fighting that followed, not helped by the hot-headed anger from @LUISO_1995, leading to another driver wanting to quit, shouldn't have happened.

This was only @SonicWPR's third race and, given this is F8 too, it's likely people will make mistakes as they blood in. People should be able to feel they can grow and learn from their mistakes and not made to feel uncomfortable to the extent they're getting no enjoyment from competing and want to quit.

I remember raging years back in F1 2013 or so. It was first race, Melbourne. Last lap I was 3rd when, with 3 corners to go, 4th place dived bombed me and spun me out, dropping me down the field while he claimed 3rd. I was apoplectic! Shouted afterwards it was unfair. That I deserved 3rd! I wouldn't let it go and told I was being immature. And they were right.

If aggrieved, nothing wrong with expressing that as natural to need to vent. But seek an apology and explanation for what happened. Put it in the Stewards and hope that person learns not to make the same mistake again. Then walk away and have a beer! :p

Last edited:

SonicWPR

Semi-Pro Karter
Q 8th: R 5th

Very pleased with that race. Besides picking up 2x 3sec penalties, it was one of my cleanest and most consistent races and happy to finish just 12 secs off the lead with no safety cars. Shout out to @Worthingtonio for his great comeback drive to 3rd after being sent from 2nd to last in quali following an in-game DSQ. He also picked up no time penalties so very polished and how you recover from disappointment!

Quali

Finally put together a solid lap on my third attempt to jump up to 8th. Run 2 was looking good too but @Philip_66 baulked my in S2 on his inlap.

Race

Decent start, focusing to stay out of wing smash territory. Took inside of t1 as a number ran wide, which got me past @ShaunG123's Ferrari. At t2 a space opened on the outside so took that to find some clear space to avoid any smashy smashy. I did feel a push from the rear under braking but didn't seem any damage came from it. More chaos in t2 got me up to 6th. @byGerjo shortly span off as well.

I was behind @LUISO_1995. Lost touch of DRS after a few laps and eventually @Paddy0h_ caught up. I decided not to fight hard, thinking it would be more in my interest to latch onto his DRS and save fuel and hopefully catch up to others. This worked well as I could stick with @Paddy0h_ and it helped me pull further away from those behind.

Parcero/@Daviotero_38(?) went off at t3 in the middle of the first stint, giving @Paddy0h_ and me another position. So I was 5th.

Lap 14 some of the leaders pitted. Race order was @Psycodelic1a, @Paddy0h_, me. @Worthingtonio had moved up the field on his mediums too. Think he was 6 secs or so behind me.

VSC then came out midway round lap 15 and us top 3 pitted. Like Canada, I got lucky again. Defo gained some time but VSC ended as I entered my box so not as big a gain as could have been.

Although I was close behind @Paddy0h_ when we pitted, the VSC allowed him to just jump ahead of @LUISO_1995. I was under 2 secs back but just couldn't quite close the gap to get DRS. It was under 1.5s at one point. So that was annoying.

Picked up some penalties in the second stint. Most annoying was lap 31 when in little over a single lap I cut the last turn, then t1, then t1 next lap, pushing me up to 6 secs penalties! GRR! :( At that point I became more worried about losing places from those behind catching up.

A recovering @byGerjo caught up and I let him pass easily too; again thinking it'll be better for me to latch onto him and pull me towards the @LUISO_1995- @Paddy0h_ fight. But @byGerjo's recovery was shortlived as he immediately span off exiting t4!!! :rolleyes: @LUISO_1995 had also now passed @Paddy0h_.

Next up was @Worthingtonio charging through on his softs. He passed @Nuttcat then quickly caught me by lap 31. Again, I capitulated as knew it would only damage my race fighting him and my real fight now was with @Nuttcat who was 3 secs behind but only had 3 sec pens to my 6 secs.

Lap 33, second VSC, at which point @LUISO_1995-@SonicWPR gate happened. Up to 5th again as I passed him. Then a 2 lap dash to the line to stay ahead of @Nuttcat.

@Worthingtonio's tyres (and fuel/ERS) looked utterly dead on the last lap, whereas I could still use Rich and some ERS, and I finished just 0.5 secs behind him with DRS over the line and I stayed ahead of @Nuttcat by 0.1s! Phew!!! :D

A Note on @LUISO_1995-@SonicWPR gate

I've seen the video now and can understand @LUISO_1995's anger given he's leading the championship through consistency (despite only one win) against arguably 2 or 3 faster drivers. Clearly @SonicWPR has made errors. At t2 it looks like he was fighting with someone else and misjudged his braking, which spooked @LUISO_1995. The takeout incident looks like @SonicWPR clearly went into him at t1. The VSC had just come out so I dunno if he got caught out by this as dunno why he'd be trying to overtake under VSC.

Having said that, @SonicWPR did apologise in his first message on the chat. The toxic in-fighting that followed, not helped by the hot-headed anger from @LUISO_1995, leading to another driver wanting to quit, shouldn't have happened.

This was only @SonicWPR's third race and, given this is F8 too, it's likely people will make mistakes as they blood in. People should be able to feel they can grow and learn from their mistakes and not made to feel uncomfortable to the extent they're getting no enjoyment from competing and want to quit.

I remember raging years back in F1 2013 or so. It was first race, Melbourne. Last lap I was 3rd when, with 3 corners to go, 4th place dived bombed me and spun me out, dropping me down the field while he claimed 3rd. I was apoplectic! Shouted afterwards it was unfair. That I deserved 3rd! I wouldn't let it go and told I was being immature. And they were right.

If aggrieved, nothing wrong with expressing that as natural to need to vent. But seek an apology and explanation for what happened. Put it in the Stewards and hope that person learns not to make the same mistake again. Then walk away and have a beer! :p
Your analyse looks right, and I admited it immediately and told I was sorry, I also explained the reason of that mistake, which should have been a bug perhaps, but I saw Luiso ghosted with a little red cross, and thought I had to overtake him, and not stay and wait behind a ghost... once again I can only apologize for this error and learn from it just as I did 2 weeks ago during the qualy when I ruined the flying lap of Shaun... last week and yesterday I particularly focussed on letting track free for racers on flying lap and it had worked I think... I tried to be proper in the entries of first turns and racing fairly, allowing fasters drivers (let’s say everyone of you ) to overtake me easily... but I’ve got so much to learn and to train to improve my skills and paces... I would like to thank mates who gave me their support in private msg... but when I read the msg Luiso sent to the stewards, I am so surprised and desappointed to see how it goes... saying that I did not understand my mistakes and surely repeat them again and again... can’t believe my own eyes... today is a reflexion day for me and if some others of you think I am not able to race properly at this pace, please say it, it will help me to take the good decision... cheers
PS : sorry for my English, it’s only my 3rd language

Nuttcat

Formula 4 Test Driver
@SonicWPR for what it’s worth Sonic I agree that from the footage it looks like a game bug and you are not to blame.

I understand @LUISO_1995 frustrations but I think it was just a very very unlucky incident and his reaction was unwarranted (which he has since apologised for too).

There are 20 people on the grid, it’s unlikely you’ll be best mates with everyone as incidents can and do happen. I only like a handful of you :ROFLMAO: haha but I wouldn’t want anyone to leave when they didn’t want to due to a post race argument when tensions are high

My view is if you enjoy racing with us that you continue to do so regardless of what other people say.

Last edited:

LUISO_1995

Formula 3 Test Driver
I feel like my message in the stewards cant be seen as an attack as I clearly state I just want you to learn from your mistakes which will happen if you get a penalty so next time you are lapped you are more careful.

Also I only talked about how I said wrong comments in the chat not your passive agressive attacks which you havent said sorry by the way unlike I did say sorry once I cooled off for my comment. I don't need the apologies tho, Move on.

SonicWPR

Semi-Pro Karter
I feel like my message in the stewards cant be seen as an attack as I clearly state I just want you to learn from your mistakes which will happen if you get a penalty so next time you are lapped you are more careful.

Also I only talked about how I said wrong comments in the chat not your passive agressive attacks which you havent said sorry by the way unlike I did say sorry once I cooled off for my comment. I don't need the apologies tho, Move on.

For me this issue is over, I just answer to people who react about it... and need to know if I have to go on trying to race with you all... just want to be clear Luiso, I read again the beginning of the after-race chat and my first msg that appear is « sorry man you were ghosted on my screen » followed by « otherwise it would not have happened » I am not so stupid to hit you on purpose, what have I got to win ??? And I’m clearly not quick enough to write msg as you all are on the chat... seems to be the same story on the track you can be sure I absolutely understand your frustration caused by my beginner mistake, but what will happen if unfortunately I make you lose points, pace or position next week ??? Are you gonna take a flight to Belgium to kill me ?!?!? Should I try to continue racing in league knowing I will surely make other errors which will cause damages or time lost to others ? Even if I try to do my best that will happen for sure... and it’s the same for you, experienced drivers as I can read in the chat, some have make mistakes which have ruined laps or races of others ... seems that I am not the only one...
just would like you to controle your nerves and words even if racing leagues is sthg serious, no one died yesterday...

LUISO_1995

Formula 3 Test Driver
For me this issue is over, I just answer to people who react about it... and need to know if I have to go on trying to race with you all... just want to be clear Luiso, I read again the beginning of the after-race chat and my first msg that appear is « sorry man you were ghosted on my screen » followed by « otherwise it would not have happened » I am not so stupid to hit you on purpose, what have I got to win ??? And I’m clearly not quick enough to write msg as you all are on the chat... seems to be the same story on the track you can be sure I absolutely understand your frustration caused by my beginner mistake, but what will happen if unfortunately I make you lose points, pace or position next week ??? Are you gonna take a flight to Belgium to kill me ?!?!? Should I try to continue racing in league knowing I will surely make other errors which will cause damages or time lost to others ? Even if I try to do my best that will happen for sure... and it’s the same for you, experienced drivers as I can read in the chat, some have make mistakes which have ruined laps or races of others ... seems that I am not the only one...
just would like you to controle your nerves and words even if racing leagues is sthg serious, no one died yesterday...
the beggining of your message is why I felt I needed to do the stewards thing. I dont think you were driving as a lapped car should because even tho we are ghosted this things happend in the game. I never said you did it on porpuse I did say you were driving dangerously and i stand by it. It happens because of the ghosting not working (which is known) and you sending it in a place not even fit for overtaking.

I think even ghosted the lapped cars should be more careful to not disturb and thats why I send it to the stewards if they say you were driving fine. Okay. it is what it is. I will then not be happy with the rules of AOR but thats other story.

I feel like you are playing a bit of a victim now I actually said noone was going to do nothing even when i was heated so the flying to belgium comment is just meh.

We all make mistakes. You are just blowing this a bit out of the water now. I was mad and I came in hot (wrongly). dont give this sobby Oh i cant race im going to leave narrative. Stay, race and get better just as we are doing. Almost everyone here has had an incident like we did. I have also been on your end and being to blame with the other person overly mad.

Its just an incident. Now we let the stewards decide.

My nerves are fine since like comment two last night. thank you.

CragglesD

F1 Senna Equivalent
I don't know what the AOR rules are but I think it is still good etiquette and practice for lapped cars to move offline and let leaders through, like in real life, than just wait for them to drive through your ghost, because it's still distracting and you never know what the game might do. This is the first F1 game I've played (skipped 18 and 19) that has lapped car ghosting.

Are you gonna take a flight to Belgium to kill me

Don't worry @SonicWPR, if you take me out I won't take a flight to come after you. I'll take the Eurostar. :LOL:

Worthingtonio

Pro Karter
Hey all,

What a race! Lots of ups and downs. I realised this is a wall of text so apologies. The text essentially explains the highlight video.

Video Highlights www.twitch.tv/videos/813431465

Qualy

After putting in a lap that put me in P2 at the time, I went for another flying lap on the same run. I was -0.2s up on my best, but into T3 I hit the throttle too quickly and spin out! I thought this wouldn't be a problem as I had a good time that I was happy with. Unfortunately, when trying to get back onto the track, I had to wait for the cars on their flying lap to go past. It seems that I turned the wrong way to get back on track, and I get a DSQ from qualy, putting me P19! I calmed myself and just told myself to do as best I can in the race.

Race
Lap 1:
  • The lights go out extremely quickly, and I get a good start, overtaking @Prismadiator off the line.
  • T1, I take the wide line and it seems @Philip_66 gets wing damage, and so I get the overtake done around the outside.
  • T2, absolute havoc! So much congestion into the hairpin, but I get a good run out of the corner and get past @xGATECRASHERx with the help of overtake.
  • T3, I go in a bit too hot with a heavy car, meaning I accidentally divebomb @gonzalob29! I backed out of the move as soon as I could as this would have not been a clean and fair overtake.
  • T7, @byGerjo seems to have come off, putting me into P15 at the end of lap 1.
Lap 2:
  • I use rich and overtake on the pit straight to catch @gonzalob29 by surprise, and get past going into T1.
  • T1, Unfortunately, I go in a tiny bit too hot, and with the weight of the fuel I unbalance the car turning in, meaning I have to countersteer, meaning I concede 2 positions to @gonzalob29 and @byGerjo.
  • T2, @byGerjo gets the inside line on @gonzalob29, meaning @gonzalob29 has to take a second attempt at his turn in, giving me the opportunity to pass on the inside.
Lap 3:
  • @xGATECRASHERx gets a fantastic run out of T2, meaning we are essentially side-by-side down to T3. I just about manage to hold track position.
  • T3, @Silver_Shadow locks up, meaning I get the run on him and take him on the inside going into T4, putting me P13.
Lap 7: @SonicWPR gets an unfortunate spin out of T2, putting me in P12. I did this so many times in practice until I refined my setup!

Lap 9: @byGerjo loses the rear out of T1, meaning I get the run down the straight. After being slightly squeezed, I release the gas a little and then take the opportunity down the inside into T2, very nearly hitting @Stewart Macdougall. I leave just enough space for @byGerjo on the outside, managing to hold this position. Into P10.

Lap 11: @Stewart Macdougall goes in very hot into T2, completely missing his breaking point I think! However he uses his noodly evasive maneuvers to avoid @JGvI and @Nuttcat. Fair play for managing to avoid both of them!!

Lap 12: Into T2, @byGerjo manages to stick it around the outside and get a better run out, managing to take the position on worn softs! Absolutely fantastic move mate, that was great racing and my favourite move of the race (y)

Lap 14:
  • Into T2, attempted an overtake on @JGvI on the inside (you forgot to turn DRS on, I checked your stream haha) but it was slightly too aggressive and so I stopped accelerating and conceded the position to prevent a collision.
  • I then overtake @JGvI before the pit entry, but realised after I'd committed to go down the inside that you were trying to pit. Sorry!
Lap 16: Front runners pitted under VSC and @Psycodelic1a comes out just ahead of me, putting me in P2 at the time.

Lap 21: Mediums are starting to go off and @gileu on fresh Medium's has much more traction. Unsure what happened out of T1 as I got a nudge but as he was on much fresher tyres I didn't fight the position down the straight as it would have hindered both our races.

and now the charge on the softs

Lap 24: I pit for Softs and come out pretty much neck and neck with @JGvI. It was a drag race to T2, but I think he let me past here as you seemed to slow down on the straight. Net P9 here.

L25: Get DRS on @ShaunG123 into T2, but lock up slightly, meaning @ShaunG123 gets a great run out of T2, so we are essentially side by side. I then lock up again slightly into T3 and have to correct, meaning @ShaunG123 almost gets side by side into T4, but I think being on fresh Softs I just had a bit extra grip. Nice racing though that was fun.

At this point, I was 5s behind @Nuttcat and 11s behind @CragglesD

Lap 30: Caught up to @Nuttcat and it's another overtake into T2. I didn't lock up this time and so the move was a bit cleaner.

3.5s behind @CragglesD.

Lap 33: Manage to catch up to @CragglesD and (surprise) T2 is the overtaking spot. T2 was very kind to me!

Lap 34: @LUISO_1995 and @SonicWPR incident, which put me into P4 on track, with @Paddy0h_ having 5s of penalties, and me being 5.7s behind!

Lap 35/36: Try and use as much overtake and fuel as I had left to stay within 6s, but also trying to be careful and not make any silly mistakes on the last lap! Ended up 4.6s behind @Paddy0h_ and so manage P3!

Stewart Macdougall

Formula Karter
yes my evasive maneuvers was the vest part of my race i completly underestimated drs and ers and completly missed my breaking point so i thought id do some cop chasing maneuvers lol

Donks

F1 Race Winner
Here is a quick snapshot of my race.

Blew it by running off at a place that I had not had any issues with any of my practise runs, typical.

I was going to raise a stewards enquiry about the drive through penalty so all be aware of this. At 4 minutes into the vid. i was bouncing around the delta of VSC and dropped just 0.010 above the delta at the exact moment we went from a yellow VSC half to green. Drive through and any chance of points gone.

Be careful of this one...... I lost over 30 points from safety cars this season....

See you next week.

Philip_66

Premium Member
Premium Member
S2 t4 and 5 left handers. Was hoping you'd move aside out of t3 but didn't and I washed out with understeer from having to be right behind you. Was 0.2s up at time and lost it all.
Wow; are you kidding me?
Is it really that sensitive in this game?
I do remember getting out of your way on the straight to the pit entrance?
I kept the right side of the track there.

ShaunG123

Formula Karter
quali: poor laps which made me start around 5th

race: made it through turn one okay but lost a few places being cautious then arrived at 2 and got hit hard from behind putting me into the car in front and giving me a red fw. This affectively ruined my race but thought my pace was really good afterwards and possibly my best drive of the season. pitted on the last vsc not realising that there was only about 2 laps left which probably lost me positions to @nutcat and @luiso but i got the fastest lap on the fresh tyres which makes up for it slightly. But frustratingly taking off the time for 2 more pitstops than everyone the race win was definitely on and a lot of points lost. on to the next one