PC - AOR FIA GT Championship 98´- Evaluation Races | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR FIA GT Championship 98´- Evaluation Races

BDG_Geo

GP2 Reserve Driver
Jan 20, 2019
Sorry to all i impeded..i had a nightmare one to forget quali and race session.made some bad mistakes that cost me alot..i fought back to 8th which was all i could do unfortunately :(
My internet was playing up i think as i was gettn real bad lag the whole night which was a first for me.ther was cars crabbing along walls...cars parked on there roofs..cars teleporting the lot lol so i dont know if i can do the league because of these issues as i will only end up ruining alot of other peoples races and i def do not want to be doing that.i tried to stay out the way as best i could so again..sorry to all that i impeded.
@Claes Landbo i tapped your rear because i thot u wer holding the inside line..i stayed on the outside and tried to brake in time..didnt cause me any front wing damage so i hope that u didnt either..?i am sorry..i didnt mean it at all :(

Last edited:

aaren

Formula Karter
Jan 27, 2019
Well it wasn't a good race, in the beggining i didn't have the driving assists so i was sliding everywhere, and i just lost the mentality of the track. Afterwards i lost the car a little bit of damage few laps and then pitted, after some laps a ghost car in the middle of the track made me crash hard lost a wheel then ages in the pits. Again 15 mins or something past i was behind P5 and P10 just killed us both again some damage and yeah afterwards just continued with the damage to the end. Well a race to forget

Reactions: BDG_Geo

PhantomHamster

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jun 23, 2016
Just wanted to say that that was the most fun racing I've had in a very long time. Nice work @BMW /// M-Power on setting this league up! Great racing against you guys, almost didn't care I finished at the back

Reactions: ApexMaibom

Smolda

AOR PC Endurance League S4 GTE Champion
Oct 23, 2017
Well, it was fun, but it was SO HARD to keep the Group A Merc on track!
I didn't have time to practice, so I took default loose setup - as usual - and hoped for the best. Qualy wasn't bad, I could be like 0.4 seconds faster, but I spun - second place. On the first lap, coming down the hill, @TicklishPicklewickle rear ended me (I'm not sure if I was braking earlier than usual, probably yes :D ), luckily I didn't get any damage. Regained P2 again pretty quickly after that (like 15-20 minutes?) and was closing to @AndrexUK , but then I half-spun in the last hairpin and damaged the car. I had to do full lap to get back to pits and I crashed again (so stupid!). I refueled and repaired the car (my fuel calculations were obviously wery wrong :D ).
As I was sliding a lot, tyres were wearing off pretty quickly and car became even more loose. 5-6 minutes before race ended I crashed again in the last fast righthander. Another pitstop, another refuel (forgot to change strategy :D ) and I lost all motivation to finish the race, so I just crossed the finish line in the pits.

As for the balance of Group A cars - qualifying was pretty close with @AndrexUK yesterday (Mercedes vs Audi), but I'm sure he didn't have much practice same as me, so not sure if that's relevant. Truth is, I was faster with audi on silverstone, but the Merc should be faster on twistier tracks I think. I'm not consistent nor skilled enough to really compare the cars though.
I fear that I'll get frustrated with this car. It's fun to drive, but not for longer races - at least for me :D But I'll take it anyway and try to practice more and maybe do some setup changes.

Btw, @AndrexUK , you were saying something about first lap incidents being stupid and formation lap incidents being retarded? Cause we've had first lap incident AND formation lap incident yesterday :p

AndrexUK

2 times PC Project Cars 2 Champion
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Wish I knew where I'd put my data for when I was testing the Grp A cars :(
It was mostly at Hock Classic, and although the Cossie could destroy everything in Qually mode, I had to drop the Turbo's to about 60% pressure, and short shift about 1000rpm before the peak power, or the engine would never make 30 mins, let alone 90.
I can't recall the laptimes of the cars, but dropping the Turbo's, and short shifting to have the engine survive, dropped it's lap times to very close to the others.
I would expect it to be strong on a track like Hock Classic, but when driving at Spa, it was a very different animal. to the point were I would really struggle to survive 5 laps without a spin (and tire wear was something you could more or less see dropping per corner....)

For the other's, I don't even recall which was my 2nd fastest car, as I think they were rather close (the other 3 within 2 seconds of each other, over a high lap time track).
Of course the M3 would struggle a little there, but it should be able to fight at the twistier tracks.

I am starting to thing the Audi is certainly the strongest car from Grp A. At first I felt that it wasn't the fastest, but it was super easy to drive, so although it wasn't the quickest, it made up for it by not loosing time due to facing backwards.

I'll run some laps in the Merc / M3 at Sonoma, to compare, but it might be a case of closing the restrictor of the Audi to reduce the power.

If this was to be done for the league, we would really need a 'base' restrictor setting for the Audi to be set for the full season.
Unfortunatly, this is not something that can be enforced on the server side (big shame, as we could use that to make so many other unbalanced classes to be balanced).
So it would need to be done on a 'Gentleman's Agreement' type thing. where we would just have to trust that the Audi drivers are doing this.

If this was the case, I would stick to the Audi, so I could tell if I was being passed on a straight by another Audi (barring aero setup) that they may not be using the restrictor.

Really would need @BMW /// M-Power to review this. but I think we may need to do something like this.

But I'll do some more testing to get an idea of how much to lower it.
(I'll take a balanced track, and reduce the restrictor to match the Merc or BMW)
So it might still be strong on the twisty tracks, but not so much on the power tracks.

BMW /// M-Power

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
the reason why I allowed the audi, or lets say what i think about it, is: in time trial the merc looks actually faster to me. next point is, the gap between audi and merc is way smaller than between merc and bmw, so if we ban the audi it will probably only mercs.

thinking about restrictors will sadly be a dream, cause the game saldy doesnt have this as a feature, and I am sure there will be people not taking care.

So now I´ll have some questions for the gr.A drivers...

- Are you guys sure the audi is OP, or were it probably more or less simply the faster drivers in front?
- How about the fuel? Were you able to finish without refueling? and if yes, are all cars able to?

AndrexUK

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Well, @Smolda was very close to matching my Qually time. and i think neither of us had done any real practice.
(I took my Silverstone practice TT setup, and added more camber / adjusted tire pressures / I believe Smolda took default aggressive setup)
I didn't have the chance to do any laps in the Merc last night, but I did a few in the BMW. With minor setup tweeks, I was a little over 1 sec a lap slower in the BMW, and I thought it should be closer at Sonoma than that.
I was pulling away from Smolda during the race, but was making a few mistakes to start with (and also trying a little too hard to do 4WD drifts, and getting it wrong a couple of times....)
Having raced with Smolda over several seasons in the past, I'd say we are very closely matched (he's faster at times / I'm faster at times), so i think it was a fair representation.

I guess one option, would be to build another test race, which the Merc should win, and see how that plays out?
Even if it's a couple of us, just testing the Grp A's.

I'm 50/50 for the restrictor being used to balance things, since it's a league, and there is glory to be had (if it was just a social race, then fair enough). Although I would like to think we are all adults, and we join a league because it's much better racing, and would therefore honor the rules put in place to make the racing as close as possible (even though there is no real way to police it). But with no way to prove if it's being abused, there is always that "Did he win from cheating?"

There was a really nice mix of different Grp A's last night, which would suggest ppl have (hopefully) tested, and chosen a car they feel they want to use.
But I would have to agree, that I think the gap between the Audi + Merc is probably smaller (over a full season), than the Merc > BMW. And that i Audi was removed, then it would be a grid full of Merc's (There was only 1 BMW last night)

I would have to check my pit strat from last night, but I think I added fuel for 5 laps, which I think was a little over 10L
I finished with about 6L left, so for ME, I could not complete the 90 mins (at sonoma) without a fuel stop.
But I believe @tRIP.. finished with about 3L left (also in the Audi), without re-fuelling?

I can't recall what the Merc / BMW managed :(

BMW /// M-Power

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
well, all i know is, that the audi uses most, then merc and then bmw. but audi has 10 liters more space, so i guess its balanced out. I dont think we should add mandatory pit stop, cause if we keep it like this, you can have some strategy-games... but i only wanna have those strategy games if its fair for every car (which i personally think)

AndrexUK

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Indeed, it would be nice to drive against @Smolda again at another track, and see how close they are matched.
It may even be that although the Audi is faster, it may require a pit for fuel, unless it's driven slower (same pace as the Merc)

Maybe something wet, as we don't really want a suprise if join a wet race and the Audi just destroys the Merc.

ApexMaibom

AOR XB1 GT3 S12 T3 Champion
Jan 13, 2019
I would say that most of the OP-ness of the Audi, comes from it being much easier to manage when driving on the edge coupled with a little bit of a power advantage. But I’m usually racing to have fun and tha Audi with 4wd and understeer just feels way less demanding hence less fun and rewarding to drive.

Even though I’m gonna be racing the BMW I’m not in favor of banning any other cars than the Nissan, cuz on a lucky day and with a good race and setup you could be lucky enough to snatch a place from those V8 Audi’s.

Regarding rain races though, the advantage of the 4WD obviously increases. Again easier to handle and better at putting down its power.

I wasn’t able to complete the race yesterday but I don’t think it would have been possible to do the full race on one tank of fuel. Not with my driving at least

Claes Landbo

Pro Karter
Mar 16, 2017
Let's test it again to see if the Merc drivers (especially me) will catch up to the Audi...
Anyway i'm NOT in favor of banning more cars, as it probably would end up as a "Same car league"

Remember: Practice makes champions ;) ;)

AndrexUK

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
I'll run the Merc this next time as a direct compare.

Smolda

AOR PC Endurance League S4 GTE Champion
Oct 23, 2017
I'll be in :)

Indeed, it would be nice to drive against @Smolda again at another track, and see how close they are matched.
It may even be that although the Audi is faster, it may require a pit for fuel, unless it's driven slower (same pace as the Merc)

Maybe something wet, as we don't really want a suprise if join a wet race and the Audi just destroys the Merc.
I agree, we should test that, although I'm afraid I won't survive a single lap on wet track :D

AlfaNick

Junior Karter
Sep 16, 2019
Forgive my inability to find the track the Eval race its held at. Could someone share the track with me so I can prepare for it.
Edit: I think I found that the next eval race this Thursday will also be held at Sonoma according to the general thread.

The next evaluation race will also be driven at Sonoma??

If i, by struck of incredible luck, should find the money for it, (DLC) i'd rather drive the Audi :D
Not much chance of it... Unfortunately....
But at least i'll have some more time, getting used to the Merc ;)

Last edited:

AndrexUK

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Will happily drive a Group A in tomorrow's eval race if you need some more for comparison
Would love to see if someone can get the BMW to challenge the Merc / Audi!