AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 1 - Round 3: Brands Hatch | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 1 - Round 3: Brands Hatch

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 1
Round 3: Brands Hatch

Information:
Date:
11th January 2019
Time: 19:20 GMT Practice, 20:30 GMT Qualifying, approx 20:40 GMT Feature Race, approx 21:30 Sprint Warm Up, approx 21:40 Sprint Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Brands Hatch Circuit - Grand Prix
Time of Day: 08:51 Date: 01/04/2019
Weather: To be updated in comments with practice results

Stuff:

- It's the first F3 race of 2019, so happy new year to all those who only do this league and not the FR 3.5 as well!
- Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
- That is all.
- P.S, let's hope the damned Beta UI has fixed itself in some way. I highly doubt it has though, so any weather/time of day settings are *subject to change.

Standings:

Drivers Championship

Teams Championship

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Also to note, once again we'll be running the session via the old method of setting up time of day. We will be using the morning setting for the session, but it also means the session will be set up in May, as a default. Hopefully the conditions won't be massively different.

For future weeks, we are going to be trying something different, that should allow us to use the correct time of day, however it will result in a slightly altered format for the sprint races. Hopefully people will be okay with this change.

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

Weather:

70°F, Wind NE @ 6 MPH,
Atmosphere: 66 RH,
Skies: Partly Cloudy

David Buitelaar

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Also to note, once again we'll be running the session via the old method of setting up time of day. We will be using the morning setting for the session, but it also means the session will be set up in May, as a default. Hopefully the conditions won't be massively different.

For future weeks, we are going to be trying something different, that should allow us to use the correct time of day, however it will result in a slightly altered format for the sprint races. Hopefully people will be okay with this change.
I did a session in these weatherconditions in may, after 3 hours temps were much higher than expected. Around 33*c. It all depends on if there are clowds etc. But after all we all have to struggle with the same weather so i dont see the problem so much. ;)

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
Drivers don't be afraid to hop in for an interview after the sprint race tonight :)

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
I was upside down a bit again. :alien: My driving reminded of the old FR league, some very high highs and very low lows paired with developping some magnetism features on my car for incidents. Congrats to @McPhilen and @Kez on the wins!!

Tim Delisle

Junior Karter
Sep 2, 2018

Sorry to anyone who was affected by this in the sprint, given the gap between our cars that you could drive a truck through I don't think there's anything either of us could have done differently, but I still feel terrible. A week to forget.

Connor Ryan

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 13, 2017
Considering the hours I put in this week, this is one to forget...

Tommy-Tum

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2014

Sorry to anyone who was affected by this in the sprint, given the gap between our cars that you could drive a truck through I don't think there's anything either of us could have done differently, but I still feel terrible. A week to forget.

Sorry Tim. Like I said my spottor wasn't talking to me, so I tought it was clear. But as we both can see, netcode really involved here. If there wasn't netcode you would still be driving. My apologies Tim.

Tim Delisle

Junior Karter
Sep 2, 2018
Sorry Tim. Like I said my spottor wasn't talking to me, so I tought it was clear. But as we both can see, netcode really involved here. If there wasn't netcode you would still be driving. My apologies Tim.
Nothing to apologise for! We both left each other racing room, just got screwed over by the game.

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014

Last edited:

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Race report:

Qualifying:

Pole. Not bad, but could have placed a bit hig.... No wait a minute? POLE?! Woooooooo!

Feature race:

Started really well, was able to pull a nice gap but then it all changed when the Fire Nation attacked/I think picked up some front wing damage. Very minor damage, but I had a wing change in the pits and the car felt a tiny bit off relatively early on. I think it was from a kerb touch, but it may have been one of the few off track moments I had in the early laps. I think it might have only really cost the car about 1-2 tenths per lap, but my inability to get on top of the change meant it was more like 3-4 tenths. This lead to @Kez being able to take the lead. I was going to let him through anyway, but the car decided to let him through for me by having a slight moment at the final corner, so I thought it best to not fight it. After that, I couldn't really keep with him, and then the pit-stop phase came around, after which I found myself quite a behind Kerry. This was due to both a front wing change, and also missing my box, all of which cost me around 6 seconds in total. This also meant @Osterkamp was able to get ahead as well.

I came out of the pits in 6th, but in a net 3rd. I found myself behind @devoutfire3 who I had a nice battle with for a few laps trying to get passed, before @Osterkamp spun at Surtees, which gave me a run on him up to turn 5, and at the same time Marcel let me through by staying to the right, so we went 3 wide briefly. It was a few laps after this that either, Fanatec or the Russian bots, decided that they wanted to give me a sympathy win and killed Kerry's wheel, which crashed him out of what was going to be a sure win. With that done, and me being able to make a bit of a gap to Rene, I was able to win my first ever feature race, since we started the new format just over 2 years ago. So, yay!

Sprint race:

Had to avoid the lap 1 chaos, but just about got away with it with no damage which was nice. I pushed on for a good few laps, and had a good few battles with some people until the unfortunate netcode incident between @Tommy-Tum and @Tim Delisle, which I couldn't avoid. Nothing could have been done there, the gap was massive. It's a shame though as I was really feeling like, after avoiding the first incident, I could make a really good race out of it and get a top 4. Still, after I picked up some damage, I ended up trying to defend what I had, which lead to a really great battle with @Rcfly3r1 for a whole bunch of laps. I don't think I actually lost all that much time with the damage. It was a decent chunk, but it was most apparent once someone got into the slip stream, they could just blast past. Either way, with damage it was a lot of fun to end the race with that battle.

Overall:

I got a win, yo!

Also, this race continued the trend of 1 good race and 1 bad race per race night. Hopefully next time it will be 2 good ones, and I can try to take the fight for the title! Looking forward to the next one! Interlagos will be interesting with the characteristics of this car, the twisty infield might be really interesting, but it should be a great drive.

LucaV GPFun

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
Practice
Struggled with the set up at first, with some rather unusual quirk. This forced me to test more than usual, which is not a bad thing.
On the race server I have the 6th time in practice with 13.9, not bad for me.

Qualify
I am worried by the 1x so I decide to take the first lap easy. Too easy, I loose the rhytm, get out of shape in T1 and end up 1 second slower than I should have been. I drive carefully on lap 2 as well, recording a 14.5 (I think). On the third lap I push but get a 1x in T3L.
I start 15th or so, much lower than I could have. First waste of the evening.

Race 1
I am probably a little faster than drivers around me but I choose to be conservative for the first part of the race and it pays. I gain quite a few places, save the tyres (the rear has failed me in past races) and stay away from the dreaded 1x. Whenever I fall a bit behind due to traffic I can easily recover the lost ground.
Everything seems fine... unless it isn't. Jacob (?) spins out in a strange way in T4L. I get distracted looking at him (stupid!) and slide my car on exit. Less than a second lost, no big deal... except for the fact that my already stressed rear tyres get in trouble.
One corner later (I think) the rear tyres give up in the fast left handers. 2-3 seconds lost to keep the car in shape on the grass but, most importantly, the tyres are even worse.

When I get onto T1R on the following lap the rear steps out once again. Really not a big deal, I probably lost no more than 3 tenths, but Alexander is stamped on my rear wing and he has to divert off track to avoid me. Sorry !
One lap goes by and the very same thing happens with Christoph right on my tail. This time he collects me.

I spend the rest of the race nursing home a damaged car, getting a bit scared when the 1x get me close to the inc limit (never been a fan of hit, btw).
Sometimes towards the end of the race I let Christoph by; it seemed the right thing to do after the earlier accident.

What could have been a P5-P10 finish turned into a P12 (I think) and I only have myself to blame.

Race 2
Cautious start, on the outside. David puts a wheel on the grass exiting turn 2 and collects Stuart. David is spinning to the left and Stuart to the right, so I go on the middle. I clear David car and start accellerating again when Stuart unexpectedly swerves back onto the track right in front on me. I can't avoid it. End of the race.

Luca

LucaV GPFun

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018