Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 2
Round 5: CotA

Information:
Date:
12th April 2019
Time: 19:20 BST Practice, 20:30 BST Qualifying, approx 20:40 BST Feature Race, approx 21:30 Sprint Warm Up, approx 21:45 Sprint Qualifying, approx 21:50 Sprint Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Circuit of the Americas - Grand Prix
Date: 13th April 2019 Time of Day: 15:15
Weather: To be updated in comments

Stuff:

- There's like, less straights than Monza yo

Standings:

Drivers Championship

Teams Championship

Reactions: FisiFan91

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Remember when you tricked Dan with the Circuit of the ViR?

good times

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
it's technical track, i kinda like it. Lot's of overtaking places and two wide action :p
This is weird, but I remember a doing a race here on the shorter circuit, being behind you and I think we ended up having a pretty good scrap. That was way back when in the FR2.0

Reactions: Erkka Lindstrom

Erkka Lindstrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2014
This is weird, but I remember a doing a race here on the shorter circuit, being behind you and I think we ended up having a pretty good scrap. That was way back when in the FR2.0
Yeah, we had this battle like maybe 2017 season something? :)

Erkka Lindstrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2014
Btw... do we use this track limit penalty here? specially in corner 19 where you can really gain in the exit running wide? I mean if you overtake a driver running wide, will there be a some kind of penalty after the race?

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
If you overtake someone whilst gaining a 1x, it counts as overtaking someone off track and can be punished. People should respect the iRacing track limits, and if a 1x is given, you shouldn't be using that area, and you definitely can not use it to overtake someone.

I'll also use the opportunity to remind people of this:

" Additional note - track limits on straights:
The rules concerning track limits will be slightly different to how they are in the official series. On straights, it will be mandatory to stay within the white lines at all times, and using the additional tarmac/asphalt on the straights in order to defend or attack will be illegal. The most notable example of an area that could be exploited is the start/finish straight at Monza. "

Reactions: Erkka Lindstrom

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

Weather:

67°F, Wind W @ 5 MPH,
Atmosphere: 89 RH,
Skies: Clear

Marvin

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
Can't make to tonight, sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: McPhilen

Erkka Lindstrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2014
If you overtake someone whilst gaining a 1x, it counts as overtaking someone off track and can be punished. People should respect the iRacing track limits, and if a 1x is given, you shouldn't be using that area, and you definitely can not use it to overtake someone.

I'll also use the opportunity to remind people of this:

" Additional note - track limits on straights:
The rules concerning track limits will be slightly different to how they are in the official series. On straights, it will be mandatory to stay within the white lines at all times, and using the additional tarmac/asphalt on the straights in order to defend or attack will be illegal. The most notable example of an area that could be exploited is the start/finish straight at Monza. "
Yes, it's good to remind this to all drivers.

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
I hate myseeeeeeeeeeeeelf. Only I am capable of throwing away two races from pole. :p I also don't get what it is that one week some of us are miles of SimRC + Paul, then the next we can match them. Suuuper weird. Well, at least pace is there. Sometimes. And even weirder that it was at this track which I aaaaaabsolutely hate! Nevertheless, congrats to Marcel and Paul on the wins.

Tye

GP2 Test Driver
Jun 26, 2015
Sorry for spinning you in the sprint @FisiFan91 completely misjudged how close I was to you.

Gutted for the sprint race, was doing well after struggling in the feature. Going down the back straight and my TV prompts Shut Down? Have no remote for it so was fumbling with the buttons on the side while holding the wheel and it turned off

• Friendly
Reactions: FisiFan91

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
My race night was kind of a tale of two halves, but overall was far, far better than it could have ended up being.

Qualified 7th, after I put in a PB lap, which ended up only being 3 tenths off of pole. To still be 7th after being that close was frustrating, but man it was close up the front there, much closer than I was expecting. Also congrats to @Ycoms on the pole (well, both in the end!)

Race 1:

But then, in my infinite wisdom, I realised I had the wrong tyre pressures, so, after gridding, left back to the pits and changed the pressures, by which time everyone else had already gridded so it skipped the count down and I missed the start. I then stayed in the pits for an extra few seconds than needed because I kinda of spaced out of a few seconds, before finally going. The race after that consisted of catching those ahead after the big gap of 7 or 8 seconds I had to the last car in the train, then to pass as many as I could and just finish decently well. I absolutely didn't expect to finish 7th, which in the end was actually the result I was more than likely expecting to get anyway, just from starting from 7th, based on the fact that my race pace wasn't as close to the top guys as I'd hoped, or at least believed that to be the case anyway.

Race 2: Probably one of my best races in a long time. Genuinely felt I had pace, made very few mistakes and was able to actually fight and pass the SimRC contingent, which considering they are the team to beat, along with Paul and now Christoph too maybe, actually getting to fight with them and have decent pace with them and eventually finish ahead as well (just), it was incredible. I had a great fight with @TheSmoun, who I am thankful was actually able to turn up for the race, because it was probably the most enjoyable multi-lap battle I've had in a long time, at least that I can remember. It was a lot of hard racing, but always fair between us, with a couple of pretty decent moves from both of us which ended with us being alongside each other across the line, after I made a mistake at the penultimate corner. I could have track extended that corner, but that would have been very unfair, so I had to slow down to avoid running off which gave Simon an opportunity. I went super defensive into the final corner, so I was super tight on the entry, which meant getting the run was really tricky. I know the final corner is tricky to get the power down correctly at the best of times, but being so tight on the inside meant I really had to get it right. Luckily, a combination of me getting it right, and Simon also having a more tricky final corner than normal due to having to try and cut back under me meaning he was tighter on exit which is also tricky for traction, with all that, I was able to just stay ahead across the line.

Finally, I actually had a lot of fun just driving the track. I've always been quite good here with pace in the past, but it took me a while to get there in this car. But when I did I genuinely enjoyed driving the track. I don't know if it's just my FOV, or if I sit higher in the F3 compared to the 2.0, but I could actually see the apexes of the corners which was my only real gripe with driving the track. But I really did just enjoy driving it. I've always liked technical tracks, and the technicality of this track, in this car, was a pretty great combination for me.

The season hasn't exactly gone the way I'd hoped it would so far, but hopefully I can take this momentum and bring it forward with me to next week at Suzuka.