AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 4 - Sign Up & Info (Cancelled) | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 4 - Sign Up & Info (Cancelled)

• Apologies for the forum outage today, should be resolved now. Be aware that you may have lost some posts from when before the forum went down, so please check if anything you posted is there or not and respost if you need to. Thanks - Erti

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

Tagging all drivers currently signed up.

So, I've received enough complaints from enough drivers, myself included, that what I'm going to do is actually postpone the start of the season, so we will not be doing the first race at Suzuka. The reason for this is to give us more time to assess options, and also gives iRacing more time to potentially come back to us and either change something or say that they aren't changing anything.Alternatively, the extra time may give all the drivers who are complaining, and the setup gurus, time to adjust to the car and get it to a place where it feels more in-tune with perhaps what it should. Right now, my own personal feeling, is that it makes absolutely no sense. You can essentially drift the car and go faster. You slide, but instead of spinning, you plant the throttle and it just goes around the corner fine. It's very odd.

Either way, just because the car is very different, and a lot of people may be jumping in new, postponing until the second race may be a good idea anyway as otherwise we may have a lot of issues with incidents and the like (the first race of the F3 after they fixed the aero imbalance meant that setups were a bit all over the place which caused some issues. Luckily the car still felt okay, just boat like whereas here it's just weird all around).

So, that's that. First race is off, we will either return for the second race or go a different way, but nothing has been decided at this stage.

Thanks all!

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Also, apologies to those who are enjoying the tyre model, and to those who really wanted to race at Suzuka. It's not an ideal situation, it's just I've heard enough that it just feels like it's the best thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Rienk and Deerladog

NHR-Gaming

Pro Karter
Jun 5, 2019
Good call i would say... hope things get fixed asap cuz as it is now i don't see a positive future for F3 at all. Formula 3's have always been my favourite racing category and i hate to see what has happened to it.

Racing the car as it is now makes no sense at all

Erkka Lindstrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2014
If there's a shortage of available broadcasters I'm personally fine with the F3 league not getting a stream. KK would definitely get confused by us all drifting around every corner...
Personally think we need that broadcast for this series, there's a lot of drivers who focus this league only. It's important to keep it "alive" and popular.

Reactions: mikeself

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
Personally think we need that broadcast for this series, there's a lot of drivers who focus this league only. It's important to keep it "alive" and popular.
With the current tyre situation I think that's gonna be a hard prospect no matter what we do...

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
In the past when there was a similar issue with the new Skippy tyres it took them about half a season to fix, or so I'm told. Hopefully it will be fixed sooner this time because they've already had this issue once before. And I don't know who they have to broadcast, a while ago I was semi-asked by KK to broadcast this series but I said I wanted to drive it instead of stream it if I had the time on a Friday evening. Might go back and stream it if it turns out I'm too slow to have a good race with you guys, I'll see.

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
As broadcasting is in house, we need to have someone to stream it, and commentate on it, it is not a question on If we want to, it is a question about do we have anyone to do it. King has asked off it do to real live time. And that we need to accept. We are working on another to take over, he was also meant to do it this season, but a bug from iRacing meant that he wasn't able to join the league seasons, From my understanding, it is fixed now, but we need to test that.

So pls have that in mind, it is all about if we have people to do it. With a Monster of a PC and skils to commentate, and the time.

Briz0wn

Pro Karter
Jun 5, 2018
Tagging all drivers currently signed up.

So, I've received enough complaints from enough drivers, myself included, that what I'm going to do is actually postpone the start of the season, so we will not be doing the first race at Suzuka. The reason for this is to give us more time to assess options, and also gives iRacing more time to potentially come back to us and either change something or say that they aren't changing anything.Alternatively, the extra time may give all the drivers who are complaining, and the setup gurus, time to adjust to the car and get it to a place where it feels more in-tune with perhaps what it should. Right now, my own personal feeling, is that it makes absolutely no sense. You can essentially drift the car and go faster. You slide, but instead of spinning, you plant the throttle and it just goes around the corner fine. It's very odd.

Either way, just because the car is very different, and a lot of people may be jumping in new, postponing until the second race may be a good idea anyway as otherwise we may have a lot of issues with incidents and the like (the first race of the F3 after they fixed the aero imbalance meant that setups were a bit all over the place which caused some issues. Luckily the car still felt okay, just boat like whereas here it's just weird all around).

So, that's that. First race is off, we will either return for the second race or go a different way, but nothing has been decided at this stage.

Thanks all!

Hi @McPhilen ,

It's a pity to postpone race. If I do understand it correctly fast drivers are complaining that they do not have setups for new versions. This mean race would be eventually more balanced and not predictive and make it more exciting.

New tyre model if it's broken or not nobody can truly confirm. YES it's different than before but that does not mean it's wrong. It's normal that people are no happy with changes.. This situation is same for all drivers and can show true potentional of drivers to show how they can manage the situation better then others.

There is nothing wrong with car in a way that you could not complete race. I did over the weekend over 130 laps - 8 full race lenghts plus some Q runs and everytime I was able finish. Depends on the expectation here. Drivers thinks that you can push car hard every single lap without have impact on tyres, does it work like that in real life? Drivers have to manage tyres is the main change here and is same for every one. When I did not pushed hard couple of 1st laps I had very little drop on laptimes later in the race.

Regarding take offs if you spin the rear, you can still manage to recover from it, it just take a bit longer than before. All goes down to driver skill, let it show.

I truly do not see issue with it and as solid reason to postpone. On the other hand if we could switch league to FR3.5 I would be even more happy and several my team mates as well. It's monday, we can still do it :)

EDIT: forgot to add. some guys know Skipy famous and higly ranked leauge 2K World Cup... This car get everything BETA what iRacing is introducing. Recently damage model and never NEVER they posponed start because they want driver to handle situation not to manage it from board

Last edited:

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
Personally I wouldn't want the league to move to FR3.5 as I don't own the car and probably don't own parts of the calendar. I already spent a load of money on the TCR and F3 calendar this season, so I'm trying to avoid spending more :p I don't like the F3 model, but in its own little horrible demented way its still kinda fun. I would keep with F3 for this season, and if the tyres aren't improved by next season then consider switching car to the FR3.5. Historically it hasn't taken that long though. The sidepod thing was fixed within a week or so I'm told. The Skippy also had a much more exaggerated version of what we have now with the tyres, and I'm told that was fixed in the first half of the season. We can hope the F3 fix will fall between those two points in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: mikeself

djawadkaroni

AOR iRacing GTE Season 7 Pro Champion
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Personally I wouldn't want the league to move to FR3.5 as I don't own the car and probably don't own parts of the calendar. I already spent a load of money on the TCR and F3 calendar this season, so I'm trying to avoid spending more :p I don't like the F3 model, but in its own little horrible demented way its still kinda fun. I would keep with F3 for this season, and if the tyres aren't improved by next season then consider switching car to the FR3.5. Historically it hasn't taken that long though. The sidepod thing was fixed within a week or so I'm told. The Skippy also had a much more exaggerated version of what we have now with the tyres, and I'm told that was fixed in the first half of the season. We can hope the F3 fix will fall between those two points in the future.
let's drive plz personally idc about few bugs i'm here to enjoy racing :D

n0body_

2 Time AOR iRacing GTE Pro Champion
Jun 19, 2017
Drivers thinks that you can push car hard every single lap without have impact on tyres, does it work like that in real life?
Actually, yes it does. It’s well known the tyres Hankook provided have very little degradation, allowing F3 drivers to push lap on lap on lap. There are accounts from a great number of drivers that this was the case.

Briz0wn

Pro Karter
Jun 5, 2018
Actually, yes it does. It’s well known the tyres Hankook provided have very little degradation, allowing F3 drivers to push lap on lap on lap. There are accounts from a great number of drivers that this was the case.
Degradation is different think which has been given to us with new tyre model. as per my testing it does not affect times to that extend if tyre is in 95% or 70% condition. What has been introduced to us is to care about "tyre effective window" which is given by tyre core temps. Try it by yourself on track and not speculate behind the keyboard.. I did it. do 30laps on suzuka, push hard all the laps, then stop for refuel do not change tyres and again you will make lap 32 same time as lap 2.

N1kmido

F1 Senna Equivalent
Sep 17, 2016
New tyre model if it's broken or not nobody can truly confirm. YES it's different than before but that does not mean it's wrong.
I think it does. I didn´t have the chance to try it myself yet but watching some of the onboard footage provided is enough to say that there is something majorly wrong with the car at the moment. It shouldn´t be possible to go full steering lock and full throttle at the same time with any setup in the world.

Seeing several physical laws being broken commonly leads to the conclusion that something is wrong. Most likely the new tyre model in this case.

I´m not saying it´s impossible to race though. I mean, you can race on Project CARS 1, F1 2009, GRID 1, etc. as well right? :whistle:

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the first GRID game :p

Status
Not open for further replies.