AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S10 - Round 8: Belle Isle | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S10 - Round 8: Belle Isle

• ANNOUNCEMENT: Sign-ups are OPEN for Season 19 of the AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues on F1 2019!
    They are closing on 29th February, so be quick! Head to the League Forums for more information.

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship Season 10
Round 8: Belle Isle

Information:
Date:
3rd August 2018
Time: 19:20 BST Practice, 20:30 BST Qualifying, approx 20:40 BST Feature Race, approx 21:30 Sprint Warm Up, approx 21:40 Sprint Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Detroit Grand Prix at Belle Isle - Belle Isle
Time of Day: Late Afternoon
Weather: To be updated in comments

Stuff:

- First time racing at a new track since the last time.
- This will be the first time on what could be argued to be a proper street circuit, with Gilles-Villeneuve being the only other track to come close.
- Is bumpy
- The track info on iRacing says that it has 14 turns. The background section says that it is a '2.35 mile, 13-turn circuit.' I don't believe that 13 = 14, but I can't be 100% certain on that.

Standings:

Will update when fixed.

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
im still in the 26-27s but i just plan on keeping it out of the barrier

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Weather:

80°F, Wind E @ 1 MPH,
Atmosphere: 41 RH,
Skies: Clear

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Put on a good show pls. Looking forward to watching this.

saKuuu

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 19, 2017
Well, mixed emotions tonight! After a decent feature race, in my first race here, finishing P10 (0x), I seem to have initiated chaos early in the Sprint. Apologies for everyone involved! As you can see from my pov, I was expecting Andriamiharisoa to get back on the throttle but he seemingly never did and I tapped him ever so slightly. Should've went around the outside. Then I got back in the racing line thinking everyone had gone through (relative screen wasn't big enough to show that because of carnage around) and I cut someone coming in fast, apologies!

Reactions: CamJS2

MatteAce

Formula Karter
May 27, 2018
Well, mixed emotions tonight! After a decent feature race, in my first race here, finishing P10 (0x), I seem to have initiated chaos early in the Sprint. Apologies for everyone involved! As you can see from my pov, I was expecting Andriamiharisoa to get back on the throttle but he seemingly never did and I tapped him ever so slightly. Should've went around the outside. Then I got back in the racing line thinking everyone had gone through (relative screen wasn't big enough to show that because of carnage around) and I cut someone coming in fast, apologies!

too aggressive. it could have worked on a normal track, but not here. honestly, this wasn’t even the worst move I’ve seen tonight, I’ve seen some drivers (no names) flying around people thinking this was monza and they were senna reincarnated.

it goes without saying they met the wall quite quickly, unfortunately bringing several cars with them due to the nature of the track.

I’m not talking about small mistakes, touching the walls, getting oversteer, etc. I’m talking about getting impatient on overtaking someone in an impossible spot, and who gives a rats ass if we destroy both cars’ races plus a bunch of others coming from behind?

I knew the track was calling for carnage, but I didn’t expect the low level of racecraft of several of the drivers.

plus, why didn’t we get a red flag restart after 3/4 of the field got wiped up? even Formula 1 got a restart in Spa 1998, why shouldn’t we?

• Indifferent
Reactions: saKuuu

Tomspeedx30

Pro Karter
Feb 5, 2017
Q : I knew i'd be quite far off the pace on this track as it's probably the hardest circuit of the calendar and i didn't have a lot of confidence in my car with all the bumps which make the car quite unpredictable. I could have improved a bit on my last lap but i put it in the wall on the 2nd last corner and it was P19

R1 : I've never been able to complete a full race distance in practice so i knew it was going to be tough. I avoided a little pile up in L3 and then it was basically surviving for 28 laps. I had an interesting fight with @Erti147 i was quite happy to have someone to race with but i spun at some point and lost all chance of doing anything. A bit frustrated as it was counted as a 2X and i lost points for a clean race. Managed to come home with a P12 and first row reverse grid

R2 : It wouldn't be easy to start in front with all the guys behind having way more pace than me : i lost 2 places after 3 corners. At the beginning of lap 2, i didn't expect an overtake in turn 1 and i almost lost it on the 1st right hander and i found myself with a very compromised line for the left hander. I had to be careful as Alexey was overtaking me on the outside at this point and unfortunately i got hit from behind and i didn't expect that this incident would result in a spa 1998 pile up style. I'm sorry for all the cars behind involved in this pile-up :(

There were a few cars who stayed out with damage and i decided to stay out as well despite having a damaged rear wing and no nose as it was my only chance to gain a position if something happened. I had an interesting fight with @Rin Hato when she lost it in turn 3 and i tried my best to hold on to that position. It was not easy to deal with cars who took a lap and to lose as less time as possible. On the last lap, i couldn't hold up Sara behind and she passed me. Totally deserved with the way she fought back to regain that position

As it was a Lap 2 incident, will there be an investigation for the pile up if nobody reports it to the stewards ?

Last edited:

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
plus, why didn’t we get a red flag restart after 3/4 of the field got wiped up? even Formula 1 got a restart in Spa 1998, why shouldn’t we?
Because the track was literally blocked and they can't magically return themselves to the pit. It had nothing to do with the number of cars involved. If that crash happened in F1 nowadays, the cars crashed would remain crashed out, there'd be no restart, just a red flag period. Also, the rules in F1 at the time meant any incident that caused a stoppage in the first 2 laps would mean the first start would be nullified and they'd restart again with the full distance, and they had spare cars back then (although some teams only had one spare to share between both cars).

MatteAce

Formula Karter
May 27, 2018
Because the track was literally blocked and they can't magically return themselves to the pit. It had nothing to do with the number of cars involved. If that crash happened in F1 nowadays, the cars crashed would remain crashed out, there'd be no restart, just a red flag period. Also, the rules in F1 at the time meant any incident that caused a stoppage in the first 2 laps would mean the first start would be nullified and they'd restart again with the full distance, and they had spare cars back then (although some teams only had one spare to share between both cars).
which is my point. modern F1 doesn’t have spare cars because of cost cuts. but we don’t have that issue, so why killing the spectacle and... “robbing” (maybe a strong word but I hope you get my point) the drivers of a good race and challenge for which they trained hardly the whole week?

we don’t have costs restraints, so in case something like this happens (2/3rds of the grid taken out/track impossible to navigate because of cars all over the place etc) why don’t you stop the race and restart it with the positions of the last completed lap?

in a real race we would have gotten red flags or double yellows way before the back of the pack got to the incident corner. we barely had some very, very late yellows because iRacing is slow with flags, plus people reacted late also because yellows in iracing can mean a wide range of stuff, from a pileup in front of you to a dude that went slightly off road behind you.

• Agree
Reactions: Patrick Kessler

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
which is my point. modern F1 doesn’t have spare cars because of cost cuts. but we don’t have that issue, so why killing the spectacle and... “robbing” (maybe a strong word but I hope you get my point) the drivers of a good race and challenge for which they trained hardly the whole week?

we don’t have costs restraints, so in case something like this happens (2/3rds of the grid taken out/track impossible to navigate because of cars all over the place etc) why don’t you stop the race and restart it with the positions of the last completed lap?

in a real race we would have gotten red flags or double yellows way before the back of the pack got to the incident corner. we barely had some very, very late yellows because iRacing is slow with flags, plus people reacted late also because yellows in iracing can mean a wide range of stuff, from a pileup in front of you to a dude that went slightly off road behind you.
The problem we have with a restart is that there is a cost to host a new server. It also can be time consuming and also what happens if we get a few big crashes in a row? Do we keep restarting until it's clean? Sometimes these wrecks happen and they just have to be dealt with. I can list a few other issues with it, but the server cost is a big one. Whilst it may not be a huge amount, it's still something that we have to consider.

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Overall a decent points scoring night, although it didn't go down exactly as I expected... For the most part.

Qualifying:

Really happy to actually get in a semi-decent lap. Was struggling all through the practice to really get a good time together, albeit on race fuel, but it wasn't feeling as nice as I was hoping after the Thursday session. Then I put qualifying in on Thursday and instantly felt really good around the track. Not super fast, but really quite comfortable. Come to the actual race qualifying and it really didn't feel that way. I think it had a lot to do with the lag I was experiencing. I think the heat has somehow melted the internet around here. Either way, getting 6th was actually really nice. Maybe a little bit more was there, but not without taking too many risks.

Feature race:

Because of the lag I was experiencing, I didn't want to cause any issues with anyone on track so I started from the pit-lane, so I was already on the back foot. Combine that with the fact that the lag was actually causing the car to handle a little strange, with the sim speeding up/slowing down every so often, and it became a little bit tricky to really put in any sort of consistently decent pace. Luckily, about halfway through the race it really settled down and I was able to push it a bit more. During the lag phase, I did have to pass some people which I was mostly hoping I wouldn't have to do, and would pass them when they pitted, because of the lag but it didn't seem to cause any issues when making the moves. If it did affect anyone, I can only apologise. At the end of the race, coming home 7th (with the help of some retirements) was actually not so bad considering the pit-lane start.

Sprint race:

Really great race up until the lag came back. Started 7th (I think?). Got a good start, jumped a few cars and was 2nd by the back straight. Then was able to pass @Marvin at turn 1 on lap 2 and that was pretty much my race until the lag came back. Then the sim started doing the slow down/speed up thing and it made it very tricky to drive or commit. I had a decent gap back to @alexsplanet (side note, congrats on the first podium), which was really vital considering I couldn't really push as it would have lead to a big error. Mostly because of the lag, but also partly due to me not feeling 100% comfortable. My comfortable pace was around 25.1's and 2's, but with the lag could only manage at best .5's. Either way, came home with the win which is great for me. Didn't expect it around here. It certainly was helped by the unfortunate turn 2 incident though. It took out most of the field from contention for the top spots, with most of those being out there and then. At least the rest of the season shouldn't see that, or at least I'm hoping not to see that.

Reactions: Patrick Kessler