AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 2: Road America | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 2: Road America

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship Season 11
Round 2: Road America

Information:
Date:
21st September 2018
Time: 19:40 BST Practice, 20:30 BST Qualifying, approx 20:40 BST Single Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Road America - Full Course
Time of Day: Afternoon
Weather: To be updated in comments

Stuff:

- Road America becomes the 5th different track to be run as a single race format.
- At the last race, we saw 2 first time winners, with Valtteri Alander taking the feature race win, and Alexey Sirotkin taking the sprint race win. Will there be a third first time winner here at Road America?

Standings:

Drivers Championship

Teams Championship

Tier Championships

Results to the tier championships can be found here, in the main results page

Reactions: FisiFan91

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
More importantly, will there be a first third time winner here? That is the real question Phil.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

Weather:

71°F, Wind E @ 1 MPH,
Atmosphere: 46 RH,
Skies: Overcast

Reactions: Erkka Lindstrom

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Really fun race.

Qualifying:

Didn't do a lap! FUN TIMES

Race:

First couple of laps were a bit hectic. Made some nice moves, made some places through others misfortune and ended up 17th after lap 1. Then had to charge down those ahead. A lot of the cars ahead were doing really good lap times which meant it was difficult, all in a small margin of each other. Luckily I was just a bit faster and it took me a while but eventually I was picking off the odd place here or there, until I came up to a battling @alexsplanet and @TheSmoun, with @Alain T. there as well, just behind. Not much actual battling happened here, I just closed up the gap and then the pit-stops came.
After the pit-stops, I came out just ahead of Simon and just behind Alexey, where battle commenced with Simon. We had a fantastic battle, one of the best wheel to wheel battles I've had in a while.
Unforunately, I then had a slight contact with @Sisuvoima10, I just misjudged the pace into the corner he had and I turned in a bit too early/eagerly to get a cutback. Disappointed in myself for that one, just misjudged it very slightly. Luckily it didn't do him any harm, but it slightly damaged my wing. This ruined my chances of joining the battle ahead, which looked fun. Although that ended in a bit of contact which allowed my to be ahead of Valtteri and Alexey. Realistically 6th was the best I could have gotten after that latest incidents, so 8th is pretty good, especially since i started from 30th.

Overall, mostly happy with the result considering the qualifying. I would have much preferred slightly better, but I think at maximum on pace, maybe 5th/6th was all I could have hoped for, and with no incidents for any body, probably about where I finished was about maximum.

Congrats to @Osterkamp for giving us 1 week of hope before destroying all of our dreams ;) Insane pace, basically in a tier of your own. And also congrats to team mate @Kez for a great result, taking 2nd off a hard charging @Patrick Kessler.

LucaV GPFun

Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
A little bit better for me after the poor performance at the Nurburgring, but still rather far from my best.
I had fun which is what matters !

Practice
I drive probably 3 hours before the race. My best lap is, I believe 2.5 at 22C.
It is true that I never run in qualifying trim, but the last time I drove at Road America I was at 1.3 with 26C, which is a little depressing.
I guess that is my limit right now.

Qualify
Three clean laps this time. Last one in 2.1 (improved, yeah! ;) ) puts me 15 on the grid, I think.

Race
In the early laps we are side by side just about in every corner. It is fun, but it is tactical suicide. I try not to fight when somebody cleanly pulls alongside but more often than not we lose a lot of time unnecessarily, lapping well above 2:04 instead of low 2:03.
In lap 1, towards Canada corner, I am involved in an accident with Sara. Briefly, in the last left kink towards Canada corner I let the car drift right towards the middle. I expect Sara to attack on the left but she, instead, goes right. When I realize it I move left but she hits my right rear and goes spinning. We were not even in the braking zone and I kept my car straight; very sorry for what happened but having looked at the replay it seems just unfortunate.

A lot of fights for the first 10 laps or so; clean and fun, but probably more than necessary as I wrote above. Clean racing with Nathan, Erkka and others whose name I am not yet quite familiar with, apologies.
I am a little penalized on the straight because I chose to race with a short 7th gear, but I don't know if the longer one would have mad that much difference in the full race distance.
I think I make a single mistake in the first half of the race, losing 3-4 tenths (and 2 places!) when I get loose in turn 1.
The pit stops throws me off, instead. Just before stopping I have a nice rhytm, safe and steady around 2.6... except when I decide to fumble with the mouse to set the fuel for the pitstop (!). After the stop I struggle to get used to the new car on colder tyres. First race I do a pit stop so I guess I can get a little better with experience. By the way, I could have easily gone the whole race without stops, and would have preferred to do so.
After a couple of close calls, and having large gaps around me, I just decide to slow down and bring the car to the finish line.

Next week I expect to struggle again: track I do not know and very little time to test before the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steffen Herrmann

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
@LucaV GPFun it's okay, you didn't really do anything wrong. As I went right you went left, and we both held our lines but unfortunately I misjudged it. From my cockpit I thought there was enough room but obviously there wasn't, and I launched off your tyre.

LucaV GPFun

Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
@LucaV GPFun it's okay, you didn't really do anything wrong. As I went right you went left, and we both held our lines but unfortunately I misjudged it. From my cockpit I thought there was enough room but obviously there wasn't, and I launched off your tyre.
It's a real pity because I was giving you all the room on the left. I really did not expect you to go right. When I realized it I tried to move away but it was too late.
Sorry for all involved.

Luca

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
It's a real pity because I was giving you all the room on the left. I really did not expect you to go right. When I realized it I tried to move away but it was too late.
Sorry for all involved.

Luca
Yeah I wanted to get to the right of you and have the inside before the track straightened out for the corner, I was trying to be proactive against the 500 cars trying to pass behind aha.

Steffen Herrmann

Formula Karter
Sep 1, 2017
Qualy

I din't come to terms with the track all week long and was struggling to find my pace. But qualy really went well and P3 was ll I could hope for.

Race

I was very excited about the start. @Kez had driven nearly the exact time in qualy and thinking about slipstreaming on this track I was expecting to have some battles in the early laps. But instead we got together very slightly in T2 which made Kerry wiggle and allowed me to build a small gap.

Knowing from pratice my tires are very senisble for the first two laps I had to take it slow, allowing @Sisuvoima10 to close the gap and take away P3 from me. Just as I followed closely and was ready to battle for position, Valtteri spun in front of me, so that I had clean air.

At his point I was already hoping I could drive the whole thing home safely, but then things turned really bad for me. First I had a half spin, because I came on the grass while breaking for T2 and later on I spun all by myself in T8 leaving me with little confidence in the car.

After the spin I found myself first behind @Alex who some laps later spun in the exact same place and then behind @Lubomir Moric , who I hoped to catch in the last few laps, but he really had a strong pace and once he realized I could get close, he pushed and kept me on distance - nice job!

All in all a disapoiting race for me. And not even anybody to blame for my mistakes ;)

Sisuvoima10

FR3.5, PS4 GT3 Elite S8 & Rally Pro Champion
Jan 16, 2017
I would like to know what we need to do to get rid of the first lap mayhems? It wasn't so bad this time but think. The race is 1 hour long. You have plenty of time to recover if you lose position or two. From my experience the biggest problem are the divebombers on the first lap. If there is room either side of the guy in front of, it doesn't mean you should go there. Almost had a four car pileup on the first lap at the first corner. I have done these same mistakes and had tried from them. It's just frustrating when you are taking the first lap carefully and someone don't and your race ends there. That's not funny. Evaluate your own driving on the first lap. That's what I do and try to learn from the mistakes I do. And pls don't take this too seriously. This is just my opinion on the matter. I hope everybody has great races ahead! See you next week on the track!

Leonarddd

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 11, 2018
Well I cant say Iam happy with the race. Im new here so not entitled to be angry at people yet :) , but someone lost control of his car in a straight, alone in front of me in lap1. I wish it was a divebomb, a side by side incident or even a braking mistake... NOOOO in a straight. I cant watch the incident again because iRacing replay doesnt show, so not fully informed about the situation! Some people were also pretty agressive at the start. It was a dead boring race after I pitted for repairs. More like a 1 hour practice session. I managed to get to the back of the field, but run out of fuel lol Typical

• Obvious
Reactions: David Buitelaar