AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 3: Oulton Park | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 3: Oulton Park

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship Season 11
Round 3: Oulton Park

Information:
Date:
28th September 2018
Time: 19:20 BST Practice, 20:30 BST Qualifying, approx 20:40 BST Feature Race, approx 21:30 Sprint Warm Up, approx 21:40 Sprint Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Oulton Park Circuit - Intl w/no Chicanes
Time of Day: Late Afternoon
Weather: To be updated in comments

Stuff:

- This is the first time returning to Oulton Park since season 3 of Formula Renault 2.0.
- It will also be the first time in which the feature/sprint format race night will happen at Oulton Park.
- Also, it will be the first time running this specific layout of the track. We have run the full international circuit (with both chicane), and the international without the Brittens (first) chicane, so this time we will run the course with no chicanes at all. (Turn 7 is going to be fun/interesting).
- We have also only ever had 1 winner at Oulton Park with Kerry Knowlden taking both possible victories. With Kerry out for the race, who will be the first new winner at Oulton Park?

Standings:

Drivers Championship

Teams Championship

Tier Championships

Results to the tier championships can be found here, in the main results page

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Apologies the thread took so long, been feeling a bit rubbish and it kept slipping my mind.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

Weather:

74°F, Wind S @ 8 MPH,
Atmosphere: 19 RH,
Skies: Overcast

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
This is probably the most off the pace I've felt in a long time. This track is like a monument to how I don't like to drive the car. I love the track, and it's fun to drive, it's just so not my style. I still think there's some left in the tank, but it's certainly going to require more laps than normal, as I have to learn to trust the car on throttle a lot more than usual.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Heh, I suck.

I'll just give an overall review this time (turned into a much longer review than I was expecting):

Overall, had a lot of fun in the races, but never truly felt comfortable, except for a little bit. Pitted early in the feature due to having a big off and then being stuck in traffic, so rolled the dice. Genuinely can't remember much of the race, so I'll skip to the final lap where I had a contact with @Sisuvoima10 . Racing incident that left me with a 1x on the final corner of the final lap which put me onto 15 which DSQ'd me. Bit unfortunate. I thought he'd back out but didn't, he probably expected more room to be given as is usual but not required, and the contact happened. Shame for me, but I'm happy it didn't end up killing him as well.

Sprint race was wild. Tried to orchestrate an easy 1-2 for Team AOR, but bottled it myself at the kink before the hairpin by turning in too early and falling off the track, and then @Rin Hato dropped it as well, which wasn't ideal, certainly hurt the 1-2. I had some good racing for the remainder trying to pull my way back through, and eventually got back to 3rd, but both @Scott Newton and @Sisuvoima10 were far too far ahead at that point.

Congrats to @Patrick Kessler and @Sisuvoima10 for taking the wins tonight. A shame for @Osterkamp for what happened, but it is what it is sometimes. The extra pace you had tonight was insanity. Again, congrats to the winners! Also congrats to @Rin Hato for a great qualifying result.

Onto Phillip Island, hopefully I have a better time of it.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
I wouldn't have spun in the sprint race if Phil hadn't drove off the track beforehand, it meant I wasn't getting the Team AOR downforce from his car anymore.

Basically it's all his fault.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I wouldn't have spun in the sprint race if Phil hadn't drove off the track beforehand, it meant I wasn't getting the Team AOR downforce from his car anymore.

Basically it's all his fault.
Can confirm.

Reactions: David Santana

alexsplanet

Pro Karter
Mar 4, 2018
Both races were just crazy difficult and stressful, I think the most stressful races of all I had in AOR. I cannot understand what happened to my car in Q, but I was so slow and also the first part of the first race I had a huge problems with pace. It seems something was damaged, because I spent 10 secs on pit. So in both races there were a lot of battles on the edge and I cannot understand how I survived in both races. Happy to finish and gain good points, as it was going :). It is a pity what happened to Steffen Herrman in Sprint race. I saw in mirrors, that somebody just crashed to him with a full speed, when we were two wide.

Jordan McDonnell

Junior Karter
Dec 4, 2017
I didn't have the best Race Day... Race 1 I nipped the curb at Turn 3 a bit much and spun then got collected due to my car being in neutral and couldn't get off the race line. Thankfully my mate Scott Newton who hit me didn't get damage :D. Race 2 was well... Chaotic.. Turn 1 a twitch from a SimRC car gave me wing damage, then had to avoid cars rejoining on the entry to the hairpin, and avoid the big crash at T3... A rejoining car made me misjudge David Santana and I just wanna apologize for the contact. I thought you were going wide, and then you came back down when I thought there was an opportunity and caused you to spin. Then it was just recovery mode and try catch up, managed to get to 16th and then decided to test my bravery and try go around the outside of Patrick at the kink... I died lol... Came home 18th... Got this cool photo though so thats a positive. See you all next week!

wallpaper3.jpg

Sisuvoima10

FR3.5, PS4 GT3 Elite S8 & Rally Pro Champion
Jan 16, 2017
Racing incident that left me with a 1x on the final corner of the final lap which put me onto 15 which DSQ'd me. Bit unfortunate. I thought he'd back out but didn't, he probably expected more room to be given as is usual but not required, and the contact happened. Shame for me, but I'm happy it didn't end up killing him as well.
I tried to do everything I could to overtake you. Unfortunately I think you hit the inside kerb and went a little bit airborne and come across the track and hit me. But still we had some nice battle going on there. It just seems that it always ends up at least the other one getting DSQ :LOL:

Steffen Herrmann

Formula Karter
Sep 1, 2017
Qualy

I knew that qualy on this track would be very important since overtaking is nearly impossible. As always I tried to play it safe in quali lap one. but then I somehow managed to fly out of turn 5 - uff. Second qualy lap I missed turn 3 and had a ride over the grass - uff again. Third lap I had to play it really safe and therefore ran a really slow lap for what was possible – gave me P11 on the grid. Boy, what a disappointment for a weeks work of practice!

Feature

My unlucky streak from qualy continued. Lap 2 @lukebarton got loose in front of me so I damaged my front wing. Went directly into the pits , lost concentration and missed the breaking point f t11 in next lap and had to go through the gravel - argh. Afterwards made a pretty decent trip through the field until @alexsplanet came out of the pits and we nearly crashed but somehow manged to make it both through turn 2 and 3 - very scary moment!. Took me several laps to recover from this. The following pass on Alexey didn't help since I managed to get on the grass in t5 in final lap again and Alexey re-passed. After this alltogether four major incidents P7 was all that was left for me.

Sprint

A very short one. @santsuke99 turns me from behind in lap 1 causing a major collision which also involved several others. Not only after this experience I think once again that there should be no more sprint races!

Patrick Kessler

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 10 Champion
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2016
Sprint

A very short one. @santsuke99 turns me from behind in lap 1 causing a major collision which also involved several others. Not only after this experience I think once again that there should be no more sprint races![/QUOTE]

I'm of the same mind about that.
The luck factor is simply too high. I want to drive nice races and not play the lottery.

Last edited:

David Santana

Pro Karter
Sep 13, 2018
first of all congratz to winners and podium...no problem jordan, no worry about that, incidents happens and maybe i opened the door on that turn....

i want to apologize with patrick kessler about an incident between him, luca and me at sprint race...three wide at first corner, you were at inside and me outside, trying to pass luca and simply i didnt see where you were...sorry for that, not my intention...before incident i was getting luca (i beat car damage) but after, my car was slower and have luck to get another point for champ

hope next i can give you more battle...bye!

LucaV GPFun

Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
A little late with my comments, busy week.

Practice
No time to drive this week. I have less than 2 hours before the race on a track that I have never driven with the FR.
Not looking good and not expecting much

Qualify
Better than expected. 15th with 21.2. Faster in qualify than in practice; maybe I am getting used to the 3 laps format.
I start ahead of people that were lapping much better than me in early practice.

Race
Track were passing is difficult and dangerous, I drive conservatively without taking risks right from the start.
In the early race I have a couple of (surprisingly) slower drivers in front and I have to lift in more than one occasion. It is a pleausure to have Alain behind me that keeps things under control rather than attempting an improbable attack.
After a few laps I am left following Chris (if memory doesn't fail me). He probably is marginally faster but I see him often dangerously wide at Knickerbrook. Unfortunately for him he eventually puts a wheel too far on the left and goes out spinning. Before this I have a chance to attack him towards the hairpin, when he is slowed by a lapped car, but it is not a clean chance and I decide not to risk.
After Chris is gone I find myself chasing Sara. She seems faster, and was faster in both practice and qual, but I somehow manage to gain on her.
Pit stop time and I come back right in front of a couple of faster cars, Phil and Valtteri if I am not mistaken. I am tempted to defend but decide to let them go because, once again, I am not comfortable with the car on new tyres. I guess I need to practice pit stops if/when I find the time to do it. Behind me Erkka and another guy losing time fighting with each other until they disappear (an incident, I assume).
I finish the race without pushing and picking up a couple of spots when others spin/retire.

Not happy with my performance because I am still slower than a few months ago but at least I am starting to re-gain my consistency.