AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 4: Phillip Island | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 4: Phillip Island

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship Season 11
Round 4: Phillip Island

Information:
Date:
5th October 2018
Time: 19:20 BST Practice, 20:30 BST Qualifying, approx 20:40 BST Feature Race, approx 21:30 Sprint Warm Up, approx 21:40 Sprint Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Phillip Island Circuit
Time of Day: Morning
Weather: To be updated in comments

Stuff:

- Phillip Island is an Island.
- Last season, it was the PSR team that came out on top, however both the PSR drivers that took part in that event aren't racing. Will the other PSR team be able to pick up the Phillip Island baton, or will another team come in and take the spoils?
- There's like, an uppydowny between turn 9 and turn 10.

Standings:

Drivers Championship

Teams Championship

Tier Championships

Results to the tier championships can be found here, in the main results page

Sisuvoima10

FR3.5, PS4 GT3 Elite S8 & Rally Pro Champion
Jan 16, 2017
Pole position trophy etc. haven't been updated after Oulton Park. Just letting you know.

• Informative
Reactions: McPhilen

Jaskin71

Pro Karter
Sep 15, 2017
I usually don't complain too much. but cant believe what is possible in this league …….some of you guys should take cold shower before each race.....

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Two sprint races, two times caught up in an opening corner collision

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
@FisiFan91 That's just what happens when you are too fast for the car to handle.

Patrick Kessler

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 10 Champion
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2016
Congratulations to Simon and Phil. Top race guys!
I myself hoped for more... Unfortunately I had some bad luck with Charlie in the first race... but he really apologized...

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
What an absolutely fantastic race night for myself. Incredible performance, which seemingly came out of nowhere. I literally had no pace for the first 50 minutes of the practice session, and then slowly on a run I started getting some. The final 10 minutes felt good, but could still only manage to get up to 13th. Then the biggest shock happened, qualifying.

Qualifying: I have no idea where that lap came from, but I also hadn't done any low fuel running, so I wasn't super confident but I was hoping for a miracle. That's exactly what happened, the car just clicked on the lower fuel and I did a lap which honestly stunned me, but I was so happy. I knew that meant I could have a good race.

Race 1: It started off a little rusty. Allowed team mates @Kez and @Charlie9000 through early on as they had much better pace at the start, which I sort of expected based on the practice session. But then all of a sudden I just had pace, and the car felt great. Unfortunately Charlie then tagged @Patrick Kessler at turn 5 which meant i had to avoid and lose a bit of time. But like I said, the pace was great and I was able to claw back, along with Charlie, to get back up to a very good position. Then the pit-stops came and Charlie got a penalty for an unsafe entry, which meant I was now 3rd? coming out of the pits, which quickly became 4th as @Osterkamp initially pulled a great move on me into turn 2, but unfortunately for him he ran off the circuit which meant I got back passed. Then I did some more laps and eventually @Steffen Herrmann pitted, and I tried to pull the same move that Rene did but I wasn't as commited for confident so braked early. I was slightly on the grass as well, but it all ended well. I then got back passed and then Steffen ran off track which pretty much gave me my 3rd place, although @Alfredo Malo wasn't too far behind. Overall, 3rd is so, so good compared to what I was expecting. Great result for team mate Kerry as well!

Race 2: What a race. Made some really nice moves, and essentially tried to follow Rene through the pack. This worked pretty much all the way through until we got to 2nd and 3rd, with Rene ahead. Rene and I decided to work together to catch @Scott Newton in the lead, who was doing a great job, and eventually we caught him and passed him, and then just about pulled away. Then we started fighting a bit, and I thought that was Rene attempting to get Simon and Patrick back in the game. I stopped fighting for a few laps and then going on to the last lap, knowing that it was hard to draft passed on the run to the line, I made the move into T1 on the final lap. I then was able to fend off an attack into T4, and then held enough of a gap to just keep ahead on the run to the line to take the win.

Overall, easily one of, if not my best race night in a long time. Felt incredible through the races, no mistakes (other than 1 relatively minor one) and it all just fell into place with a little bit of luck here and there (not getting caught in incidents)

Also congrats to @TheSmoun on taking the feature win! In this field, that is no easy feat, so great job on taking that first win!

LucaV GPFun

Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
Not too happy this time around, if I can be candid.

Practice
120 laps before the race but still not enough to get up to speed. Never below 25 on the race temperature (27 track, if I remember correctly).
I have never been particularly good at Phillip Island, not even in the SRF, but one year ago I had 24.3 on a 25 degrees track (I checked).
On race day it doesn't help that I can join the server only 10 minutes before qualify. I run 4-5 laps with the best in 25.3

Qualify
25.0 on lap 1 and 24.9 on lap 2. I try to push too hard on lap 3 and get wheelspin out of the hairpin.
Three races in a row that I run my best lap in qualify. At least something is working right ;)

Race 1
The early laps are rather hectic. A little too much if I may say so. I keep giving room, lifting and falling in line trying to defuse situations.
Not everyone seems to share my ideas, though.
On lap 3 there is quite a mess. The same driver causes an accident in T1 and one in T2, a lot of cars get together with different speeds, always dangerous.
In the middle of the mess, somebody decides that it is a good idea to get on my inside approaching Siberia. Front wings vs rear tyres at corner entry, I get an "inside" call from the spotter and leave space for him even if I am quite unhappy about the move and it really isn't his corner. Unfortunately the guy that caused accidents in T1 and T2 causes another one just in front of me. The inside car keeps me wide and I cannot avoid the other car spinning in front of me.
Somebody else piles into me ... and of course I get damage and finish the race almost 2s off pace despite a pit stop hoping to repair the car.

Video here

I am not upset for the accident per se, things happen, but I really struggle to understand why somebody should try to get in late at Siberia corner on lap 3.
There is nothing good to gain from it. The best thing that can happen is that we all lose a lot of time. Just wait half a lap and you will have an easy chance on the front straight. Why forcing a risky situation so early in the race?

I am also left wondering why the car that started the accident came back towards the inside of the track instead of going straight towards the outside. If the driver was applying throttle after having lost the car it is probably not the best thing to do (note, in a previous accident he also appeared to remain on throttle after having hit another car).

I drive the rest of the race constantly around 26.7. At least I am getting some of my consistency back.

Race 2

Another hectic start. I am surprised to discover that I can brake later than cars around me at the hairpin, usually I am rather bad under braking, but I am happy to keep my distance and avoid troubles.
On lap 5 or so I get a tow on the front straight and pass another driver. I get the "clear" call from the spotter and close towards the inside in T1, only to have my inside rear clipped, my front wing damaged and being sent spinning,

I closed towards the inside but I really was not expecting the other driver to go back there, especially because in an earlier episode with the same driver I had lifted to facilitate her passing in T1. Incidentally, this let us escape any problem when she overshoot the corner and crossed the whole track right to left.

Similarly to the above, I wonder what there is to gain by getting into a dangerous situation in the early race. We had another driver 0.6seconds ahead. If we had fallen in line we would have caught his slipstream after T2L. By making it difficult to navigate T1, and presumably the approach to T2, the only result would have been to slow both of us down and give the driver ahead a chance to get away.

My car is damaged once again but I do not realize it until two corners afterwards, when somebody tries to pass me on the outside of Siberia. My car doesn't close the corner as I expect and there is contact, possibly avoidable. Sorry for this. I finish the race lapping above the 27 and having problems cornering.
As an explanation, I was not inclined to brake early and let the other guy go after all the unnecessessarily risky "attacks" I had been getting in the last few races. I am not saying it is a right attitude but it doesn't feel right to be extra careful if other drivers don't share the same courtesy.

Sorry for the long message ;)
Luca

Last edited:

Steffen Herrmann

Formula Karter
Sep 1, 2017
The race evening really left me with very mixed feelings. After the feature race you could hear me ranting like a teenager to my team mates about how everybody else is unable to drive decently whereas after throwing P6 away in the penultimate lap of the sprint race I was mostly angry with my own driving skills. Here obviously a german proverb applies: Firstly sweep right infront of your own door :ROFLMAO:

Qualy

Simon showed what was possible with the setup and did a great lap. Even if I came close to that in practice the day before I knew that I would heavily rely on luck to reproduce this in qualy which I coldn’t. But I was quite okay with my time which made me start from P9.

Feature

Start and first corners went well. Just when everything was settling in I got hit in lap 2 turn 10 from behind leaving me with suspension damage. Speed was still quite allright and I could go on. After racing in P3 for a while another driver was closing in whom I let pass because on this track you don’t want to loose time fighting. Unfortunately the same car made a couple of mistakes in the following laps because driver was driving on edge which resulted in nearly crashing us out. So after loosing time because of this I ended up in a mid-race battle with 4 cars. Just when I decided to avoid this battle and go in pits early the other guys pittet and I could drive in clean air which did me good. Came out in P3 and from thereon had a fight with Phil which went on until a lapped car in the penultimate lap spun in front of us in turn two and rolled backwards across the street without locking the brakes (oh boy!) which made me go on the gravel and loose three positions ending up finally in P6.

Sprint

Immediately after the start got hit from behind in turn 2 so I had to drive with damage (again!). But speed was (again) still good and I could keep up with the front pack. It all looked like I was making P7 comfortably when in the penultimate lap Simon spun in front of me in turn 10 which made me take the turn too tight and because of being to early on throttle I spun (argh). Unfortunately I was in the middle of the track so that Matti who was behind me couldn’t avoid me and hit my rear – sorry for being an obstacle! From thereon I tried to get over the finishing line but car was way too damaged.

Last edited:

Jordan McDonnell

Junior Karter
Dec 4, 2017
Not too happy this time around, if I can be candid.

Practice
120 laps before the race but still not enough to get up to speed. Never below 25 on the race temperature (27 track, if I remember correctly).
I have never been particularly good at Phillip Island, not even in the SRF, but one year ago I had 24.3 on a 25 degrees track (I checked).
On race day it doesn't help that I can join the server only 10 minutes before qualify. I run 4-5 laps with the best in 25.3

Qualify
25.0 on lap 1 and 24.9 on lap 2. I try to push too hard on lap 3 and get wheelspin out of the hairpin.
Three races in a row that I run my best lap in qualify. At least something is working right ;)

Race 1
The early laps are rather hectic. A little too much if I may say so. I keep giving room, lifting and falling in line trying to defuse situations.
Not everyone seems to share my ideas, though.
On lap 3 there is quite a mess. The same driver causes an accident in T1 and one in T2, a lot of cars get together with different speeds, always dangerous.
In the middle of the mess, somebody decides that it is a good idea to get on my inside approaching Siberia. Front wings vs rear tyres at corner entry, I get an "inside" call from the spotter and leave space for him even if I am quite unhappy about the move and it really isn't his corner. Unfortunately the guy that caused accidents in T1 and T2 causes another one just in front of me. The inside car keeps me wide and I cannot avoid the other car spinning in front of me.
Somebody else piles into me ... and of course I get damage and finish the race almost 2s off pace despite a pit stop hoping to repair the car.

Video here

I am not upset for the accident per se, things happen, but I really struggle to understand why somebody should try to get in late at Siberia corner on lap 3.
There is nothing good to gain from it. The best thing that can happen is that we all lose a lot of time. Just wait half a lap and you will have an easy chance on the front straight. Why forcing a risky situation so early in the race?

I am also left wondering why the car that started the accident came back towards the inside of the track instead of going straight towards the outside. If the driver was applying throttle after having lost the car it is probably not the best thing to do (note, in a previous accident he also appeared to remain on throttle after having hit another car).

I drive the rest of the race constantly around 26.7. At least I am getting some of my consistency back.

Race 2

Another hectic start. I am surprised to discover that I can brake later than cars around me at the hairpin, usually I am rather bad under braking, but I am happy to keep my distance and avoid troubles.
On lap 5 or so I get a tow on the front straight and pass another driver. I get the "clear" call from the spotter and close towards the inside in T1, only to have my inside rear clipped, my front wing damaged and being sent spinning,

I closed towards the inside but I really was not expecting the other driver to go back there, especially because in an earlier episode with the same driver I had lifted to facilitate her passing in T1. Incidentally, this let us escape any problem when she overshoot the corner and crossed the whole track right to left.

Similarly to the above, I wonder what there is to gain by getting into a dangerous situation in the early race. We had another driver 0.6seconds ahead. If we had fallen in line we would have caught his slipstream after T2L. By making it difficult to navigate T1, and presumably the approach to T2, the only result would have been to slow both of us down and give the driver ahead a chance to get away.

My car is damaged once again but I do not realize it until two corners afterwards, when somebody tries to pass me on the outside of Siberia. My car doesn't close the corner as I expect and there is contact, possibly avoidable. Sorry for this. I finish the race lapping above the 27 and having problems cornering.
As an explanation, I was not inclined to brake early and let the other guy go after all the unnecessessarily risky "attacks" I had been getting in the last few races. I am not saying it is a right attitude but it doesn't feel right to be extra careful if other drivers don't share the same courtesy.

Sorry for the long message ;)
Luca
I was the driver involved in T1.. and Siberia. Just my take on it. My internet was having issues in race 1, which makes things worse on top of already 300+ ping due to being on the other side of the world... T1 was a mixture of things. Aero wash from a car infront, netcode and not a lot of racing room. I’ll happily take the blame for it although I feel it was just a racing incident. Josh squeezed me at T1, and I ended up washing wide dude to Aero Wash and then due to netcode / how close Josh was, we made contact and that speared us both off. At Siberia, as Sara Dove told me, I was blinking, and on my screen everyone flashed, which ended up in me tagging the back of another car, and then I spun. If you watch your footage, you can clearly see my car being thrown around by netcode contact and then I start flashing again... Sorry that you got effected, I had a shocker race 1, I reset my net and came back for Race2 with no dramas.

Jaskin71

Pro Karter
Sep 15, 2017
I wouldn't blame internet and netcode for your rejoining back on track in middle of traffic after all that story.....

Leonarddd

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 11, 2018
Kind of new to this track :)

qualy
I expected to qualify in the 23'4, but didnt manage that in the session. I did not run enough with low fuel this week. P11and 24'7 was the result.

Feature
I started from P11 and finished in P9. On paper it doesnt seem to be much, but I had very good race pace and by turn 1/lap 1 I was P33 after I decided that someone was gonna crash and I took a grass and gravel check thinking it was the best idea :) To my disapointement I was the only one who went off haha. I had a calm race because I decided to pit first lap. I managed to climb up from P33 to P9. Thats a lot of positions so Iam happy with the result.

Sprint
I was really expecting to have a good result here, but two cars got together right in front of me. Not sure whos fault it was, but I had nowhere to go so thatt ended my race first lap.

I could have finished higher than P9 if I did not go off turn 1 lap1, but im still happy where I ended and my recovery run was smooth.

Reactions: Steffen Herrmann