AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 7: Imola | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S11 - Round 7: Imola

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship Season 11
Round 7: Imola

Information:
Date:
26th October 2018
Time: 19:20 BST Practice, 20:30 BST Qualifying, approx 20:40 BST Feature Race, approx 21:30 Sprint Warm Up, approx 21:40 Sprint Race

Remember to let us know in advance in the absence PM if you are unable to attend the race!

Circuit:
Track:
Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Grand Prix
Time of Day: Late Afternoon
Weather: To be updated in comments

Stuff:

- Gio Cortese became only the 4th ever person to score a double win in a feature/sprint event. The previous 3 were Hugo Preto, Kerry Knowlden and Peter Berryman.
- Much like Mosport is 'the other Canadian track' this is the other Italian track. Mugello is obviously the real #1 Italian track.

Standings:

Drivers Championship

Teams Championship

Tier Championships

Results to the tier championships can be found here, in the main results page

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

Weather:

78°F, Wind S @ 14 MPH,
Atmosphere: 43 RH,
Skies: Mostly Cloudy

Reactions: David Buitelaar

Steffen Herrmann

Formula Karter
Sep 1, 2017
Race Repot

Qualy
As always lately, I was struggling in qualy, but P5 was a very good result overall.

Feature
Very close racing in the first laps with @TheSmoun @lukebarton and @Sisuvoima10 (P2-P5) which included a constant changing of positions and a lot of good and fair driving. Behind our train of cars there seemed to be some incidents, so there was no pressure form behind. After a while things straightened out: Luke spun and fell behind in P5, Valtteri in P2 slowly pulled away and Simon in P4 stayed close to me. So basically it was all about sorting out P3 and P4 between me and Simon. I had a slighter better pit stop then Simon which allowed me in the end – despite him catching up – to secure a podium place. Quite happy with that!

Sprint
I made it to the end again - finally! Really took a conservative approach in the first laps thereby avoid all the incidents in front of me. Guys around me also drove very carefully (only a certain red car was driving recklessly through the field) which kept us all going over the first laps. Downside of the conservative approach was, that by the time I was starting to catch up, the top ten had already pulled away a good deal. So all that was possible in the end was P8, which I take happily since getting to the finishing line was the primary goal.

Tommy-Tum

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2014
Race Report:

Quali: My qualifiying went good. I was higher up that I expected. P14 it was for me!

Feature Race: My feature race was one of my best races i've had in a while! I have fighted all race long with people. It was a hard fight for me trough the entire race. I have fighted nearly the hole race, evening should I say with @Charlie9000 ! I enjoyed that very much. Some people got in a crash with Dominik and more, so that helped me out a lot. My pace wasn't the best but I kept on P10.

Sprint Race:
My Sprint race i got P9 to start with. I got a good start and kept on P10. But only 3 corners in the first lap I spun. Set me back to last place (P25) and some seconds behind. I didn't gave up and was P14 in the last lap. I overtook Alain Tessier and Tim Matzke in 2 upcoming corners to get P12 at the end of the Sprint race! I'm very happy with this result. A good fridaynight for me!

David Buitelaar

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Featurerace: i got rearended in first corner lap1, some people have really no idea how to do divebombmove without causing damage. I had to pits but it did not repare de damage of the car, doing 1.42x allthough my racepace had to be high 1.40x. I got angry at myself for my poor qualifysession. The whole race i was fighting to hold the car on track, so finishing 17th was kind of disappointing.
Sprintrace with the same setup i managed to 2nd in first corner and managed to follow @McPhilen but he was tenths quicker per lap so i had to hold the gap to 3th place. Last lap i was lifting and coasting to finish with 0.1gal left in the tank. My first 2 nd place in this competion. See you guys in WatkinsGlen

Last edited:

Tommy-Tum

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2014
@McPhilen is it correct that AOR will use the layout without the chicane and iRacing will use the one without chichane? ( Classic Boot = with chicane, Boot = without chicane )
AOR Calendar says Boot.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
@McPhilen is it correct that AOR will use the layout without the chicane and iRacing will use the one without chichane? ( Classic Boot = with chicane, Boot = without chicane )
AOR Calendar says Boot.
It's actually the other way around (well, you said both without the chicane), but classic boot has no chicane and boot has the chicane,and although as much as I want to run the chicane version (helps break up the slipstream a bit), I think it makes a bit too much difference to the running of the track and some setup changes would be needed (change of direction suddenly becomes relatively important).

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on the matter though.

Reactions: Allyhaze

Tommy-Tum

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2014
It's actually the other way around (well, you said both without the chicane), but classic boot has no chicane and boot has the chicane,and although as much as I want to run the chicane version (helps break up the slipstream a bit), I think it makes a bit too much difference to the running of the track and some setup changes would be needed (change of direction suddenly becomes relatively important).

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on the matter though.

Sorry if I got that wrong Phil. But I remember from last season that it was different in AOR then the iRacing one.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Sorry if I got that wrong Phil. But I remember from last season that it was different in AOR then the iRacing one.
We ran a different Mid-Ohio configuration, but I don't remember running a different layout for Watkins?

Reactions: Allyhaze

Tommy-Tum

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2014
We ran a different Mid-Ohio configuration, but I don't remember running a different layout for Watkins?
Then my apologies Phil. So many things to remember. But maybe we indeed can start a vote for the layout? On the AOR Calendar its stand now with the chicane. But it would be indeed a good idea aswell to stick to the iRacing layout like you said for setups etc.

Leonarddd

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 11, 2018
Quali:
Again a bad quali... I serisously have to figure out what goes wrong :/

Feature:
I had an ok start (was taken out first lap in my last 2/3 races so I was hoping to be left alone this time), but Tom Van heumen decided to dive bomb on me FIRST LAP. I saw my race DNF again for a second, lucky me I did not give him enough credits and gave up... Wait that s not a dive bomb because its a freaking high speed corner! A dive bomb is already bad as it is, add to that the speed of the corner and it gets worse, spice it up with first lap and you get the best race start I could have had. Even the boradcasting people were suprised someone made a move there, I mean you expect at least the same understanding of the track as the comentator from someone who practiced enough to join a race with other cars. And here he is talking about how good his race was !!! I just cruised my way to the finish line and cant remeber where I finished ..in top 10 I think

Sprint:
First corner someone braked earlier than I expected so I got some wing dammage, Knowlden did that thing where you use draft and overtake someone in a straight and go on the inside line (I was not even defending there cuz I had dammage) then right before the braking zone he switches lanes and go back to the racing line and brake right in fron of me. I mean you only have to be in that overtaken position once to understand how dangerous it is (Its not very rare to be overtaking in a st8, it is the most common overtake move). You have made the move, you are on the inside, you will get ou in front of the overtaken car, BUT no its not enough you want the best corner exit you can get. So instead of running into his back and crashing I went on his inside because I had no where to go basically and that was the best solution my brain managed to come up with for a minimum dammage.

Later on, Allander tried a magic trick where he goes with me side by side into the first corner, then pushed the button where I disapear from the inside line and from the look from his cockpit he was actually going for the apex like I was not there. Well , the trick did not work, I was still there and he turned into me and dammages a couple of cars behind as well. Again I was not even trying to defend haha I expected him to leave space, I would have undertood if he left like lets say space for a bicylce but no he went fo the apex. Well done :)

Nobody is perfect of course, I have my share of mistakes, but yeah I was simply reporting my race :)

Reactions: David Buitelaar