1. Hey Guest! We're currently raising money to upgrade our App license, you can read more about it in the AOR App Funding thread. Any donations will massively help! Thanks for your continued support.
  2. F1 2016: The driver placements have now been announced for Season 13 of the AOR F1 Leagues! Head over fo the League Forums to see more. We wish all drivers good luck for the season ahead!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DiRT Rally: Sign-ups are now open for the AOR Pikes Peak Hill Climb Event on DiRT Rally! Drivers across PC, XB1 & PS4 all welcome! Head over to the Forum for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Discord: We now have our own AOR Discord server, to be used as voice chat for our PC leagues, and general chat between members! Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S5 - Round 6: VIR

Discussion in 'AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship - Season 5' started by McPhilen, Apr 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM.

1. Gunar Nijenhuis

Gunar Nijenhuis Formula 3 Test Driver

60%
    Yeah good luck all today! Please don't make a mess of either of the races. Will try to catch the stream for a bit and will be cheering for @McPhilen because ones a teammate always a teammate :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Faff Faff x 1
    • What? What? x 1
  2. FisiFan91

FisiFan91 AOR Admin Staff Member AOR Admin

40%
    Well this week is afternoon, but it still decided to be cold as f*ck lol :wtf:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lorrentz

Lorrentz F1 Test Driver Premium Member

13%
    haha yeah but at least we have more chance of getting a hot race with more afternoon races :p or we could do some sprintraces in default afternoon weather..

4. StevieSQ

StevieSQ Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Premium Member

25%
    What if we used default afternoon weather for the sprint races?

• Like Like x 1
    • Kappa Kappa x 1
    • What? What? x 1
  5. Lorrentz

Lorrentz F1 Test Driver Premium Member

13%
    yeah what about default afternoon sprintraces? :D

• Kappa Kappa x 1
  6. Christian Koch

Christian Koch Formula 4 1st Driver

2%
    next to no training paired with a complete system wipe and clean win10 install, 24hours Nurburg training for the Kia and absolute dislike of the track might be a factor for me today....

I hope Mitti can compete on top to stay in team championship race :)

7. Mitti87

Mitti87 Formula 3 Reserve Driver Premium Member

94%
    If you ask me i am all for a start behind the safety car. Yes i know it sounds funny but the tires are still not there in Lap 1 for turns 4,5,5a no matter what setup or tire pressures you use. Turns 1 and 2 are not the problem in my opinion. But i can tell you what will happen: some drivers will struggle more for grip in T4,5,5a than others which will lead to a huge speed difference (or a crash in this sector) at the beginning of the esses which will then lead to two-wide scenarios in the esses which is also very dangerous because going off the optimal line in this weather means instant spin. Its a pitty but we are not the sort of drivers (including me) who will stay behind when you see an opportunity to overtake in lap 1 because the guy in front struggling for grip. I really hope i am wrong but i dont have any hope for today┬┤s Lap 1. The car is just to unpredictable in this conditions in Lap1.

Sorry for starting the rant before the race has started :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 2:41 PM
  8. Rin Hato

Rin Hato AOR Space Race Champion

31%
    I'd say that's something to think about. Personally for me it's a struggle to keep control for the first 5 turns at the start, even though I'm going much slower than even the first flying lap. I'm not confident that it will be plain sailing for anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richtofen

Richtofen Pro Karter

28%
    I did an official race last night but in hot conditions so there was more grip on the opening lap but even then it was still quite slippy. God help us with cold tyres on a cold track.

10. StevieSQ

25%
    You know, if you want to increase your chances of survival, you could always give yourself a pit-lane start.

For the record, a rolling start won't help. When we did one at Zandvoort, it was honestly the slowest lap of my life, there's no way you could generate temperature at that speed anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Richtofen

Richtofen Pro Karter

28%
    In this instance I agree with that. Plus at this circuit the mid-field would get the green light halfway through the last 2 corners which isn't really suited to 20 cars piling through at once. A lot of death would happen.

12. StevieSQ

25%
    Exactly. If we were to do a rolling start, the only way to do it would for it to be manual, and have 2/3 warm up laps. But we're probably better to just go for it and not crash. Let's do that.

13. Mitti87

94%
    Well this has nothing to do with survival. i know how to safely navigate through Lap 1. But the combination of tires with a starting temp from 23C/69F + Sector 1 and 2 in Virginia with a 30 car grid can not work in my opinion. Its not that we never had any crashes in this league. Anyways we will see what happens but i am still for a safety car start.

14. StevieSQ

25%
    It probably won't work. But if you want to reduce the risk of being taken out by someone, or yourself dropping it on cold tyres, then a pit-lane start is not a terrible idea.

15. Richtofen

Richtofen Pro Karter

28%
    I don't think turn 1 is really the problem here to be honest. I've only done 1 official race here so far, but there wasn't really anything to suggest T1 will be problematic. It's out of the chicane and up the hill towards the tree corner (whatever number of corner it is) where people start skating off. If someone spins at the wrong time in that section there could be a pretty big accident, but we're all adults here so I'm sure we'll take it easy.

One thing I would say is that it would be pretty dumb of anyone to attempt a pass on that part of the track, especially on lap 1. It's tight and fast [insert mum joke here] and the slightest tap through there [heuheuheu] would result in a spin for the leading car and a penalty for the following car, if not a massive pile up as mentioned. Probably.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mitti87

94%
    Ok i see you clearly dont know what i am talking about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Kez

Kez iRacing Coordinator Staff Member iRacing Coordinator Premium Member Content Producer

60%
    I'd rather we all have a big accident and be in bed by 10pm

..Not all of us in the same bed, I didn't mean it like that

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. McPhilen

McPhilen Special Helper Dude Staff Member iRacing Coordinator

89%
    Ayy bby

19. Robert Plumley

Robert Plumley Formula 3 Test Driver Premium Member

20%
    Not there tonight as real life catching up with me. Will probably not improve for future weeks and whilst i don't wish to quit i will not stand in way if admin would rather offer my spot to someone that can commit 100% for the rest of the season. I Will attempt to at least join sprint races weekly until told otherwise.

20. Minimariner

Minimariner AOR iRacing Statman Premium Member

75%
    The 20th lap marked the 2,000th lap for Formula Renault 2.0!

• Wow Wow x 1