PS4 - AOR GP2 - Round 17 - Japanese Grand Prix - 26/2/17 - 8:00PM UK | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 AOR GP2 - Round 17 - Japanese Grand Prix - 26/2/17 - 8:00PM UK

• Apologies for the forum outage today, should be resolved now. Be aware that you may have lost some posts from when before the forum went down, so please check if anything you posted is there or not and respost if you need to. Thanks - Erti

HRacingGreen

S12 AOR PS4 GP2 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
RACE REPORT
QUALI-P5: 1:34.110 (Medium)- Mediums were key to the strat so doing anything other than 2 laps max on this set of tyres was out of the question. The lap was fairly good, about a tenth and a half off my PB and all that time was lost at the Degners. Without that mistake I may have had 2nd or 3rd. Either way, 5th on the slower tyre was really nice and gave me a great platform for the race.
RACE-P1: 44:12.313 (Medium-Hard)- Got a decent start and held 5th while managing to avoid the carnage. My wobbly leg meant the revs were a bit jumpy to begin with but I eventually got round it.

Considering my strategy I played it safe and decided to wait patiently for the cars ahead to battle, crash, DSC, pit or all of the above. Lo and behold by the 6th corner @Bankai_Bullett and @bor44 had a coming together that took Bankai out of the picture entirely and blocked @mazais5727 enough that I could squirt it up into P3. In a few very short laps however Mazais repassed me easily for 3rd as @oo7_pROF3SSIONAL and Bor were getting away and I wasn't going to hinder him when he was on a different strategy.

My mediums had good enough pace to stay less than half a pitstop away from the leader which was my plan so I was quite happy, however I was very inconsistent and my mind was wandering all over the place thinking of literally anything but going quickly and keeping it on the track. Eventually the cars in front pitted and I started to get into a groove, keeping the pace up while conserving my tyres just enough to last through until my guaranteed one stop window of L11.

Pitted for Hards at that point and was surprised to see I was only 2 seconds behind Mazais when I rejoined, thankfully managing to beat @baba99jaga into T1. However on the Hards my initial rear grip was shocking and I nearly hit the inside of Dunlop on the second lap of the stint. However when Prof and Mazais got caught up with @Nexus1011 , who was on a totally alt strategy, I managed to catch them. When Mazais, Bor, and a lap later, Prof pitted, I knew I just had to keep it on the track to take the win.

Sure enough, I cruised round trying to stay consistent, only pushing hard when Jeff warned of rain and I was a little concerned some padding may be needed for a late stop for Inters.

Overall, ecstatic to take home back to back victories, one at a track i hate and the other at a track I enjoy. 1st and 4th was great for McHonda's Constructor's fight and I now have a really nice gap at the top of the table that gives me a little breathing room should I cock up at all in the final 4 races *cough* US and Mexico particularly. Trying not to get ahead of myself though, there's still a way to go and knowing this league, anything can happen. Congrats to @bor44 and @oo7_pROF3SSIONAL on the other podium slots (and Prof on his first AOR pole). ONTO THE LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE WALL.
QUALI LAP-

Last edited:

zWoody

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 18, 2014
You guys all in the back that got DSC'd in qualifying were going to have lights go off at different times so you have to take that in to consideration and be more careful at the start.

Because of that, yes @Malaske , a crash at the back was inevitable

HRacingGreen

S12 AOR PS4 GP2 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
You guys all in the back that got DSC'd in qualifying were going to have lights go off at different times so you have to take that in to consideration and be more careful at the start.

I said this in the chat between quali and the race but alas it was clearly not heeded

• Agree
Reactions: zWoody

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
Tonight was just the biggest clusterfuck of bullshit I think I've ever experienced on a race day.

Could've got pole, but @mazais5727's car jammed me up in Sector 1 and it DID NOT ghost.
Then the punt off on Lap 1.
Pffft... who needs points anyway right?
Had a brief battle with @Prehn at some point, but he was running 2-2 which was why he was so bad in the corners.
Overtook @Michel--NL around the outside of the 2nd part of the Chicane... which was nice.

Apart from that... Nothing. Nada. Net. Zilch. Zippo. Zero... happened.

Maybe my luck can improve in the US.
Not holding out any hope tbh.

iJokeri22

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Post up videos I want to see!
Its 36 minutes so clear your diary. :p

RACE REPORT
QUALI-P5: 1:34.110 (Medium)- Mediums were key to the strat so doing anything other than 2 laps max on this set of tyres was out of the question. The lap was fairly good, about a tenth and a half off my PB and all that time was lost at the Degners. Without that mistake I may have had 2nd or 3rd. Either way, 5th on the slower tyre was really nice and gave me a great platform for the race.
RACE-P1: 44:12.313 (Medium-Hard)- Got a decent start and held 5th while managing to avoid the carnage. My wobbly leg meant the revs were a bit jumpy to begin with but I eventually got round it. Considering my strategy I played it safe and decided to wait patiently for the cars ahead to battle, crash, DSC, pit or all of the above. Lo and behold by the 6th corner @Bankai_Bullett and @bor44 had a coming together that took Bankai out of the picture entirely and blocked @mazais5727 enough that I could squirt it up into P3. In a few very short laps however Mazais repassed me easily for 3rd as @oo7_pROF3SSIONAL and Bor were getting away and I wasn't going to hinder him when he was on a different strategy. My mediums had good enough pace to stay less than half a pitstop away from the leader which was my plan so I was quite happy, however I was very inconsistent and my mind was wandering all over the place thinking of literally anything but going quickly and keeping it on the track. Eventually the cars in front pitted and I started to get into a groove, keeping the pace up while conserving my tyres just enough to last through until my guaranteed one stop window of L11. Pitted for Hards at that point and was surprised to see I was only 2 seconds behind Mazais when I rejoined, thankfully managing to beat @baba99jaga into T1. However on the Hards my initial rear grip was shocking and I nearly hit the inside of Dunlop on the second lap of the stint. However when Prof and Mazais got caught up with @Nexus1011 , who was on a totally alt strategy, I managed to catch them. When Mazais, Bor, and a lap later, Prof pitted, I knew I just had to keep it on the track to take the win. Sure enough, I cruised round trying to stay consistent, only pushing hard when Jeff warned of rain and I was a little concerned some padding may be needed for a late stop for Inters.
Overall, ecstatic to take home back to back victories, one at a track i hate and the other at a track I enjoy. 1st and 4th was great for McHonda's Constructor's fight and I now have a really nice gap at the top of the table that gives me a little breathing room should I cock up at all in the final 4 races *cough* US and Mexico particularly. Trying not to get ahead of myself though, there's still a way to go and knowing this league, anything can happen. Congrats to @bor44 and @oo7_pROF3SSIONAL on the other podium slots (and Prof on his first AOR pole). ONTO THE LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE WALL.
QUALI LAP-
PARAGRAPHS.

• Friendly
Reactions: mallucm

mazais5727

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Feb 1, 2016
so suzuka..maybe i should start with a apologize to Bankai_Bullett for my silly and stupid decision to retire after my last lap.i was so on nerves,that i forgot to do it later in somewhere...
about quali..was not my best lap,but ok,but when i see the results,and my teammate HRacingGreen right behind me on mediums......i tell a secret..i was got a feeling that he will race with one stop...i dont tell how,because he is my teammate anyway... :D BUT ok..
in race,nervous start,and so much brakes,just not to smash my teammate,Bankai_Bullett,or Bor44 and proffessional..if serious,losing really lot of time in first couple of laps...and later in race with overtakes...i be fair and say how it is..i was hoping to get in top 3,but after the race was happy with fourth place,and a lot of nice emotions,because the first top 3 was there,where it must be,i think..congrats to my teammate,bor and 007.but hey...atleast i got the fastest lap :D see you all in texas,the home of 007,if i am not wrong....and as always-cheers :)

• Friendly
Reactions: oo7_pROF3SSIONAL

Malaske

Formula 4 Test Driver
Sep 6, 2016

Just still getting used to racing in a league where contact is allowed.

• Disagree
Reactions: iJokeri22

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
It's impossible to no have some form of contact during a race.
Hoping for a contact free race is like asking Mexico to foot the bill for 'The Wall'.... ain't gonna happen. So deal with it.

Malaske

Formula 4 Test Driver
Sep 6, 2016
It's impossible to no have some form of contact during a race.
Hoping for a contact free race is like asking Mexico to foot the bill for 'The Wall'.... ain't gonna happen. So deal with it.
I get that. And I know that the drivers in this league are not bandits at heart. No one is trying to cause crashes.
But also, no one is trying to avoid crashes.
I get it now. AOR staff have stated and made it real clear. Contact is not avoidable. Written rules are just for show. There's nothing that can be done about drivers who can't keep control of their car around traffic. Therefore contact is allowed as long as you say it was an accident.

oo7_pROF3SSIONAL

F1 Senna Equivalent
Sep 29, 2015
Q(1st)- Honesty surprised that I got pole. Lap felt good and matched my PB online from earlier that day. Was able to hook up Sector 1 which was what gave me the time.

R(3rd)- Happy with the result considering. Got a poor start, seemed like I got off the line a tenth or two after people around me. Saw cars gaining on me and moved to the middle before turn 1 to block @bor44 from making an ambitious move, luckily no contact and maintained p1. First few laps were ok just trying to get to grips with the track and pace.

Around lap 3 I think @bor44 got a great run onto the main straight and passed me easily. Didn't put much of a fight since he was already passed by the start finish. Kept close until first round of pitstops and came out 2-3 seconds behind. Saw @mazais5727 behind me and thought he would get the undercut since he pitted a lap earlier. For the first half of my second stint on the Hard tyres, I kept the gap to bor ahead and mazais behind.

Then we start hitting traffic and I get a little closer to bor thinking I could take advantage with the traffic. Then @Nexus1011 appesrs to be doing his own race on a completely different strategy and was very slow. Bor got slowed up but once I tried to get past I just couldn't for about 2 laps and bor put about 4-5 seconds on me. Little frustrated wth the traffic but it's racing and nothing we can do about it.

It was after I finally passed Nexus, I committed to using the Softs on my final stint in hopes I could maybe reel in @bor44 with the tyre advantage. @bor44 and @mazais5727 pitted for mediums on lap 17 and I came in for Softs lap 18(lap earlier than I wanted, but was trying the undercut).

From then the last 8-9 laps, I was gaining on @bor44 every lap bringing the 5+ second gap down. But tyres started going off with two laps to go and with some minor errors and a corner cut penalty 2 laps from the end, i settled for 3rd.

Well done to @HRacingGreen for getting the strategy right this time. Congrats to @bor44 for a solid drive to 2nd. And @mazais5727 for keeping me on my toes the entire race. Had me nervous for a bit thinking I would lose the podium!

Now onto Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas!! I only live 30 min south of Austin and the circuit so this is definitely my home race.

• Winner
Reactions: mallucm

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
Wrong.

I get it now. AOR staff have stated and made it real clear. Contact is not avoidable. Written rules are just for show. There's nothing that can be done about drivers who can't keep control of their car around traffic. Therefore contact is allowed as long as you say it was an accident.
Very wrong.

It's okay, I get it.
You've got to throw your tantrum each week....

• Agree
Reactions: iJokeri22

iJokeri22

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Just still getting used to racing in a league where contact is allowed.
I get that. And I know that the drivers in this league are not bandits at heart. No one is trying to cause crashes.
Well no contact isnt allowed but over a 21 race season theres will always be some races where you get hit that happens in real life as well you've just been very unlucky this season to have incidents almost every race. I know from experience that there more incident when your in the midfield

The rules arent just for show thats why we have stewards if they decide someone has caused an avoidable incident then they will give out a penalty but they wont go looking for bad driving so it needs to be reported by the drivers involved. :)

If you want to see an example of the sort of racing that is expected in AOR then you only need to watch my video later tonight when it uploads. :)