AOR GT SPORT LEAGUE SEASON 2 - Round 8, GRANDE FINALE @ RedBull Ring | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR GT SPORT LEAGUE SEASON 2 - Round 8, GRANDE FINALE @ RedBull Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashracer2011

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
I'll try and make tonight, but I dislocated my knee cap at the weekend, I was lucky it popped back in once I straightened my leg but the doctor said it looks okay and I've possibly been very lucky with avoiding ligament breakage so it's just a case of letting all the muscles and other parts repair and swelling go down, I've been able to walk a bit over the last 4 days so getting a bit of recovery in, have to see if I can race on the wheel or pad tonight as I had a go yesterday for a couple of laps and seemed manageable but longer periods are unknown.

Most probably I will be on the pad so won't be very competitive in either case.

Pace was looking very good last week after the Round 7 race as @Delaney opened a the track up for a couple of laps and I was down in very competitive times quite quickly, I feel like the Porsche may of had a fair chance at this track minus the fuelling problems, it had a good feeling in every sector, doubt I'll be able to explore its full potential being injured :(

• Friendly
Reactions: BL99DY-NINE

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
I'll try and make tonight, but I dislocated my knee cap at the weekend, I was lucky it popped back in once I straightened my leg but the doctor said it looks okay and I've possibly been very lucky with avoiding ligament breakage so it's just a case of letting all the muscles and other parts repair and swelling go down, I've been able to walk a bit over the last 4 days so getting a bit of recovery in, have to see if I can race on the wheel or pad tonight as I had a go yesterday for a couple of laps and seemed manageable but longer periods are unknown.

Pace was looking very good last week after the Round 7 race as @Delaney opened a the track up for a couple of laps and I was down in very competitive times quite quickly, I feel like the Porsche may of had a fair chance at this track minus the fuelling problems, it had a good feeling in every sector, doubt I'll be able to explore its full potential being injured :(
Oh crap mate, bat as you say your self, you’ve probably been lucky. See you later

Vanders

Formula 4 2nd Driver
May 7, 2018

Ah, man. I've dislocated my knee cap twice (yes, really!). You've been very lucky. Mine was completely fucked both times and it hurts like hell (no need to tell you). I actually fractured my knee cap, too. Anyway, definitely better to stay off it.

Ashracer2011

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Ah, man. I've dislocated my knee cap twice (yes, really!). You've been very lucky. Mine was completely fucked both times and it hurts like hell (no need to tell you). I actually fractured my knee cap, too. Anyway, definitely better to stay off it.
Defiantly isn't a pleasant experience, although i've seen the videos of people who's knee didn't go back in place and they are the worst even more so than those videos with dodgy black heads the size of people faces lol

Ashracer2011

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
@Ashracer2011 @hollowdene I've also suffered from a misplaced knee cap (over 25 yrs ago) and is still gives me issues so yes I literally have felt (and still feel ) your pain. Get well soon:)
Thanks pal, yeah its a strange one as its difficult to walk on but driving and things are generally fine as the pressure of weight isn't there, plus I use my ankle more than my knee on the PS4 due to the silly angle of the pedals so my knee is pretty stationary which helps as I'm not using it to push, and rather rest on my heel.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I'll do a proper race report during the weekend probably, but just wanted to once again say big congratulations to @hollowdene on deservedly winning the championship tonight.(y)

I know before I said I wasn't going to worry where hollowdene was, but I have to admit I did look at the leaderboard positions after what I saw happen in the 1st lap of the feature, and seeing hollowdene down in 4th did make me raise my eyebrow and got me thinking 'maybe just maybe'.:unsure:

But it just wasn't meant to be for me tonight plus I always knew I only had a very small chance, and with the gap ending up 50 points (I think), its a reasonable margin for him however, when I look back I can think of 3 sprint races which I should have got a better result for:
Brands Hatch 7 points - car not behaving like normal costing me the win to Hasnain at the death.
Alsace 16 points - bump into Hasnain when both of us were very likely to pass hollowdene at some point, dropped both us down the field costing me minimum 2nd and hollowdene at best finishing 3rd instead of winning.

Red Bull Ring 20 points - ok the championship was basically over, but believe it or not I drove pretty poorly overall in this race and should have won instead of finishing 4th if I put in a decent drive.

Of course in a perfect world if I had got those results it would have made it a lot damn closer, but even if I did get all those extra points I think I should have and hollowdene lost points from those races as a result, it still wouldn't have been enough to change the championship in my favour so I can no complaints, in the end I did the best I could by finishing runner-up.

Anyway if any driver wins 9 races (out of 16) and finished on the podium 14 times, it is case and point that hollowdene is a worthy champion and I think we can all agree that the best driver won it this season.

Vanders

Formula 4 2nd Driver
May 7, 2018
Defiantly isn't a pleasant experience, although i've seen the videos of people who's knee didn't go back in place and they are the worst even more so than those videos with dodgy black heads the size of people faces lol
Yeah, mine had to be reset at the hospital the first time. Right before they did it the nurse reassuringly said "it's OK if you scream". Luckily, the morphine and the gas did a pretty nice job. :)

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Results has been updated.
Erm as much as I would like to not say anything and know that this won't change anything in the championship position wise, the sprint result is slightly wrong Delaney, Hollowdene did win but 2nd to 4th was actually:
2nd: Ash
3rd: Hasnain
4th: Me (had time pen and had to slowdown at the finish line)

As its only right that people get credited with the results they actually got and deserved.

Reactions: Delaney

Hasnain

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Jan 1, 2017
Race Report:
Qualifying - P1
Hadn't done much practice so didn't know what times I'd be getting but in the end it was a 2nd pole in a row thanks to the BOP buff. Had a lucky first sector couldn't get within 2 tenths on any other lap and I'm sure Hollowdene would've probably beat it if he put a lap together.

Feature Race - P3
Got off to a poor start by overshooting T1 and then losing the backend on the exit which sent Hollowdene on the grass, I slowed down to wait for him but it turned out he kept his foot in and carried on though that incident had cost him track position and possibly a chance at victory so apologies for that, it was my fault. I went with the one stop but the mediums were so slow even when the softs of Sylar were worn out. Nothing much else happened, and in the end it was P3.

Sprint Race - P3
Decided to go for a 1 stop for this one as I knew Sylar would be doing a no stop and I wasn't really up for conserving fuel for the whole race. Was probably too cautious in the first stint which meant I was about 10s off the lead after the pitstops in P5. Probably took me a lap too long to get past Rob and then I was catching the guys up ahead and got lucky with their battling and penalties to take P3.

Congrats to @hollowdene and @Wobbuffet on their wins and also well done to @Ashracer2011 on the podium with an injury.

Huge congratulations to @hollowdene on the title, was always consistently at the front and I don't think anyone can argue that you didn't deserve it. Also well done to @Wobbuffet and @Ashracer2011 on their P2 and P3 in the championship, it may not be the overall title but both of you put up great fights and gave him a good challenge for the most part.

Personally the season has gone better than I was expecting, to finish on the podium in every race is crazy by my standards, it would've been nice to have a couple more wins especially given that I was on pole these last 2 races, but tbh I can't really complain too much about how the season. Thank you to all who took part, I really enjoyed racing you all.

Finally, a shout out to @Delaney and @BL99DY-NINE who've orgainsed this whole, they've put in a lot of work and it wouldn't have been possible without them.

I hope to see you all at the XMAS Cup .

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
Round 8 Race Report

Qualifying: P7 I wound up running wide on the last 2 corners and invalidated my fastest lap which might not have been fast enough to move me up the order but it's still aggravating.

Feature Race: P5 The start of the race was... interesting... coming around the final corner on the formation lap I had got a little too close to the back of @dragapollo12 and had to get on the brakes to avoid rear-ending him right at the same time @Hasnain (Ace) gunned it to start the race. :facepalm: To make matters worse I inadvertently squeezed @1.MSC (rob) onto the grass in the run up to T2 and had to let off to give him the position. (sorry rob) However I managed a minor prize in the T2 lottery and regained P7 as rob had to take a wide line to avoid Ace (who'd had an earlier incident) and got the better of rob & @ERS_Thunder (Mega) under traction at the exit of T2. One lap later a made a nice little move up the inside of (double checks replay) Ace at T3. :eek:
"Oh, he's obviously on the RM's and going for the 1 stop strategy, we'll probably get mugged off in few laps. You might as well give him the position back."
said, My Car.
"No," I said, incredulously "It's for position let him make the overtake of his own accord."
"Hmmph" said My Car, and promptly decided to have a wobble on the exit of T1 on the ensuing lap, giving P6 right back to Ace. "Just wait you Squishy Organic Being I've worked out a deal with the car of @Delaney."
Confused, mildly outraged and yet curious to see what this 'deal' was I obediently followed Ace for the next couple of laps and lo, on the exit of the final corner, did the car of Delaney have a traction moment on the kerb and spin out. My Car gave a series of smug, self-satisfied beeps as we sailed past the 'stricken' Porsche.
"Umm, Car, please do not do that again." I said.
"Ungrateful S.O.B.," My Car muttered, "Fine, you're on your own." and gave a noise that sounded a lot like the Windows shut down jingle.

A few laps later it was time for the first of my two pit stops and I came out in P8 but in clean air and was able to put in some slow but consistent laps which saw me up in P2. Until I had to make my second stop one lap earlier than planned. The 'Red Text of Death' apparated between T4 & T5 and ugly visions of round 7 flashed before my eyes, so I decided to take the cautious approach stop for fuel. This meant I came out in P8 just behind rob.
"Car!" I exclaimed, "This is your doing isn't it!?" My car was of course silent because video game race cars don't actually speak to their drivers.
Rob pitted at the end of that lap and I once again found myself in clean air and once the pit stop phase was complete I was back up to P6.

P5 came my way with about 3 laps left when @Ashracer2011 had to make an extra stop to slake the thirst of his Martini (ha ha Martini Bad, Margarita Good, ugh contractual obligations blow) Porsche. Draga also made a late stop for what I can only guess was dramatic reasons as it has become traditional for the two of us to finish nose to tail.;)

Sprint Race: P6 Brace for impact, lap 1 (especially T2) is going to be... nice and orderly and I even gained positions (P7 to P6) from @WECM_Seat10 (the Chair) and P5 from @SEAN-GBR between T6 &T7. Confused by all of this I wound up tapping the back of Delaney (sorry Delaney) at T2 on lap 2 which put him in the path of Mega who also tapped him, pushing Delaney out into the run-off area where marbles and dust freshly laid out by the marshals conspired to spin Delaney out once again. @hollowdene found his way by me on the exit of T2 so what looked like an early push for a podium was quickly dashed. The next few laps I bore witness to a nice little battle between h'dene and Mega but with all the dirty air and... well, lack of pace on my part I found myself under attack from Ace who made short work of me at T1 on lap 5 and then @Wobbuffet who I was actually able to hold off... for a bit. Lap 6 T1 I had a strangely familiar traction moment on the exit kerb which allowed Wobs to slide by me and it was back down to P7 until the pit stop phase.

After pitting I came out in still in P7 but was able to pull off a quick (for me) out lap and by the end of said lap I was right on the back of the Chair and past him on T2 to claim P6 on the next lap. Draga made an appearance in my rear view a few laps later but for once I was able to hold him off until the end of lap 13 where I was gritting my teeth and getting ready to defend like mad into T1... but the alloted 20 minutes finished about 1 sec before we crossed line. I have to admit I felt a bit... unfulfilled but grateful that I had finally won a battle against draga.

Congrats to @Wobbuffet & @hollowdene for their respective wins

(y)(y)(y) BIG CONGRATS TO @hollowdene, SEASON 2 CHAMPIONSHIP WINNER(y)(y)(y)

EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO @AbsolutelyEveryoneinAORGTSportLeague
On behalf of @Delaney, @Hasnain & @Farewell AOR (AOR Gizmo) thank you for participating this season, we quite literally could not have done it without you all! :love::love::love:

(ahem XMAS CUP) (sign up here)

1.MSC

Pro Karter
May 23, 2018
That reminds me. Someoneone didnt see me on that lap 1 and pushed me wide out on the grass on the straight before t2. was it you @BL99DY-NINE ?
And then finally, I had better tyres then @Delaney, thought i might finally beat him at least once, but @Ashracer2011 out of the pits struggled with cold tyres i guess, ran wide and hit me hard when re entered the track, and delaney got away. What a proper end to this season.:LOL: Looking forward to next season already!

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Ok for the final time this season, its race report time.

Feature
Qualy: 3rd - Set my best time on my final lap and I was quite happy to be 3rd as I didn't properly hook up my best lap, missed out narrowly on 2nd which I could have got but pole was definitely out of my reach.

Race: 1st - At the start I wasn't sure what strategy to do I was stuck inbetween 1 or 2 stopping, so I decided to plan my strategy as the race progressed, and I had a front row seat to witness @Hasnain & @hollowdene make contact on the exit of T1, which allowed me and @Ashracer2011 to move up to 1st and 2nd and pull a little bit of a gap to the rest, which was probably the most moment of the race for me strategy wise.

For the next few laps I had Ash following reasonably closely to me and obviously I knew he wasn't likely to be a threat to me simply because of his Porsche's fuel economy, but since I wasn't in the mood to play possum I thought I'd at least make him earn the lead to an extent, and he eventually did that at T1 on lap 6(?), I could have easily have fought back at T2, but felt it best to stay behind and hopefully have him pull me along, but he started making the odd mistake here or there and he started to hold me up allowing Draga and h'dene to catch up a bit.

Ash pitted on lap 8 (I think) as did h'dene and I was back in the lead, (at this point I decided to commit to a 1 stop) I had @dragapollo12 still following closely but he pitted a lap later and that left me with a comfortable lead over Hasnain until I pitted on lap 13, I came out in clean air in 5th which became 4th when Hasnain pitted a lap later.
At this point I slowly started to reel in the front 3 over the next couple laps (all 3 pitted as well) and I had got the gap down to the leader to 11 seconds at this point when he pitted for the 2nd time, I was back in the lead and when everything was said and done I had about a 12 second lead (I think).

I knew all I had to do was make no mistakes, decent solid laps for the rest of the race and I would win, which I did with about 3 laps to go h'dene had got the gap down to around 9 seconds but I started to pull out a big advantage for the next 2 and when the gap became 10 seconds (I assumed he must have started fuel saving) as I started the last lap I pretty much eased off and cruised for the final lap and I won.
But while I was very happy to win it was mixed emotions as H'dene finished 2nd about 7 seconds later, I knew he had secured the championship and my slim hopes were over at that moment.

Sprint: 4th - With the championship over and 2nd in the standing safe for me, there was nothing for me to worry about and I could simply have fun and take a more aggressive approach.
But I drove without doubt my worst race of the season and T1 at the start gave me a good idea how my race would go, as I broke slightly to late (as I was trying to get ahead of h'dene on the outside) and gave Hasnain a bump in the rear, luckily he held it but I was slightly adrift in last and unable to gain any places like normal.

It was a bit mental the next few laps as I did start making my way through the field but I then got involved in a incident that was this time, wrong place wrong time as there was an accordion effect at the apex of T2, as h'dene bumped into the back of someone which brought him to a stop (more or less), then dragapollo who was behind him bumped into h'dene's rear which brought him to a stop (more or less), and then I who was a little bit behind the 3 ahead, was taking T2 normally was then caught out because of Draga sudden stop, I tried to avoid him but I bumped him in the left rear and sadly this spun him round.

Obviously I wasn't happy with what happened to him, but on this occasion I felt like I didn't do anything wrong and waiting for draga to recover and get back in front of me would have ended any hopes I had of challenging or winning the race so I decided to carry on (and would explain my view of what happened to him afterwards).

I was then trying to stay with h'dene but in my eagerness to have a chance to get past him on the next lap I got the exit of T1 very wrong and went off track on acceleration, I went into the wall and got damage which lost me some time and a couple of places. I managed to settle down though but wasn't making any inroads in those ahead, so I decided I would just stay out and not stop when everyone else did.

Once everyone pitted on lap 7 I had about and 8 second lead and knew it would be a very tall order to see this out, but for the next few laps my pace was solid and I wasn't losing to much time but then on lap 11 my tyres suddenly started to drop off and at to make matters worst I ran wide at T12 and picked up a 3 second time penalty, and with H'dene just 2 seconds back I knew my hopes were over basically at that point.

I managed to keep the lead until the start of the last lap and h'dene was very close behind me he got by on the run down to T2 I still tried to fight back by cutting underneath him on the exit of T2 but he had to much grip, I then turned my attentions to Ash who I noticed had a small time pen himself, (at this point I had just over a second in time pen), as we took the last couple corners I had hoped Ash would just stay behind as Hasnain wasn't to far behind and could jump the pair of us if we battled, but he still decided to have a go at the last corner and he bumped me wide, he got ahead and we both slowed before the line to serve our time pens.

Ash kept 2nd but Hasnain piped me to 3rd, which I wasn't very happy with. Of course it doesn't really matter to much, but Ash's move at the last corner did cost me 3rd as far as I'm concerned.

Looking back at the races, theres not much I can add to the feature as it was pretty quiet for me and went to plan, but the sprint I definitely feel like I threw away the win it was the first half of the race which cost me a few errors which cost me an easy 7-8 seconds, it would have given me a big enough margin I needed to win, but equally when you make the mistakes I did you can't really complain with the result you get.

So that's that for the season obviously I've given my thoughts in the championship winner, but as for myself and my season, well I certainly didn't expect a season like this, my aim originally was to hopefully just win a race and maybe challenge for podiums but it turned out to be beyond incredible.

To put up numbers of 6 wins and 11 podiums means it my best ever season in AOR and I finished runner-up in a championship for the 2nd time, but of course I'm not oblivious to the fact that the C7 (Corvette) had the capability of great fuel mileage, and I guessing maybe 1 or 2 drivers may view my wins as 'he only won/wins because of his cars fuel mileage'.

But I can tell you now it was never that simple, I had to be pretty much like a metronome for every gear change after every corner, straight and lap every race to make sure:
1. I never reached to high a revs and quickly drank fuel (like the Porsche) &
2. To still do competitive lap times to be in a position to win.

Did I potentially have a fuel advantage over some drivers yes of course, but did I earn my wins as well - as far as I'm concerned yes I did.
However I'm honest enough to admit I think overall on general pace, I was probably the 4th fastest driver in the league.

Anyway I like to say a big thank you to the co-ords @Delaney & @BL99DY-NINE for there organisation for the season, plus thanks to all the other drivers that took part of course there were a few incidents here or there especially in the opening rounds, but I think the standard of driving by everyone afterwards was excellent & very fair and it made the races fun for all.

I will be doing a little bit of a mini season review in the main discussion thread but I will be giving the co-ords feedback about the season (on the Xmas main discussion thread) and give my thoughts and suggestions on how to maybe improve things overall.

Lastly I can announce that I will not be racing in the Xmas cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.