PC - AOR GT3 S11 - PC Evaluation Race 2 - Tuesday 25/09/2018 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR GT3 S11 - PC Evaluation Race 2 - Tuesday 25/09/2018

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Feb 28, 2018
I don't really think a 2x AOR GT3 Elite Champion should need to be evaluated..
You are correct, anyone who has raced with us before, does not need to take part in a evaluation race. But everyone is free to do that if we have room.

I don't think that You are too slow for this league either (as You said) ;)

wolfgang

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 5, 2016
Had no problems ( graphics all low, but with UDP and driver' s name )
But in the first 5 or 6 rounds I saw some drivers behind me disappearing from the screen, and after a second came back far in front of me.
The rest of the race was completely without bugs and failures.

Reactions: poisike78

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Feb 28, 2018
@poisike78 I can confirm my UDP was set to on for some reason....So that was my issue.
UDP has absolutely no affect on my game performance, but some people report turning it off does wonders. I guess it depends on your network/router and how much UDP traffic it can handle. I haven't bothered to check how much traffic it actually creates and if that varies based on how much cars are on track.
Good to know you found your problem.

RWB Rodders

Pro Karter
Aug 30, 2018
I had some occasional stutters too yesterday, but nothing as bad as some people reported. As we are using P2P connections, I doubt the problem was me hosting it. I have a 300/300Mbit/s fiber connection that is stable. As I understand it, it really shouldn't matter in a P2P lobby who is hosting, every client needs to talk to every other client directly anyway.
Only things that was different yesterday was the fact that we had a full lobby. More cars on track is really hard on your hardware. Maybe some of you need to lower your graphic settings and make sure nothing else is not running in the background. I have had to set everything in graphic settings to low to be able to run with acceptable frame rate in full lobbies.
Another thing was that we had one person who was lagging really badly for everyone. Maybe this can cause sync issues for other people too?
Other than this, I have no idea. I have noticed that there are more disconnects again after the latest update (patch1.7).

I believe tomorrows evaluation race will be hosted by someone else, so if you believe it was a problem with lobby host then this should resolve the problem for you.
I very much doubt it was you as the host Poisike. Things like this just seem to happen some nights. I've ran servers (from my own property on a seperate server) for years and after these nights of bad stuttering and poor performance that seem related to network, I've made all sorts of modifications and TBH, none of them made any difference. Something outwith our control is going on. Also remember that one client can cause chaos for everyone in a P2P system so it could be as simple as that (but I doubt was the case last night given the spread of symptoms)

I suspect Steam has something to do with it but knowing nothing about the technicalities of how the PCars MP system links in with the Steam API it's just educated guesswork. Windows updates too certainly cause issues.

I run Win10 Enterprise so can properly stop updates from applying until I want them too. I didn't patch for months during the Spectre and Meltdown patches as I was concerned about performance. I finally patched about 4-6 weeks ago and instantly noticed an increase in hitches and stutters in the game. I suspect there has been an accumulative effect from patches is making our systems less efficient in some way. This isn't generally reflected in benchmarks like 3D mark.

Finally, I rolled my NVidia driver back to 385.69 just over a week ago and got an instant improvement. Several people in my club have done the same and report the same results. It's not eliminated the stuttering but it has made it noticeable better. One person put the up-to-date driver back on just to doube check and instantly got problems again. 385.69 back on and all smooth again.

NVidia archive doesn't supply this driver any more but if anyone wants to try it PM me and I'll send you a link from my cloud storage for it ;) - NOTE: If you use 385.69 Nvidia have disabled Geforce experience. Was fine when the driver was current but for some reason it's not not possible to use Geforce experience with it now. Also any games using the Vulkan API won't work.

SteveO916

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 20, 2016
I read somewhere on the interweb that rolling Nvidia driver back to 388.59 was the solution to the stuttering. I have done that and it works for me.. Geforce experience also works for me with this driver.

VoodooChild

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
UDP has absolutely no affect on my game performance, but some people report turning it off does wonders. I guess it depends on your network/router and how much UDP traffic it can handle. I haven't bothered to check how much traffic it actually creates and if that varies based on how much cars are on track.
Good to know you found your problem.
the UDP data is sent around in the local network / wifi in packets, and the game creates a packet of info every 16 cars every 0.05 seconds (might be wrong but i think i read that UDP freq=1 equals to 20 packets per second)

many routers aren't powerful enough to manage that volume of packets, which causes stutter in the connection.

I'm probably not very technically accurate, but this is more or less what happens in UDP related stutter.

• Agree
Reactions: poisike78