PC - AOR GT3 S11 - PC Tier 3 - Main Thread | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR GT3 S11 - PC Tier 3 - Main Thread

chabas

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 22, 2017
Small off topic...

Yesterday I started testing properly race room. it is so much better in my opinion! I feel like car behaviour is more predictable and sound is amazin comparing to pcars.

Would be awesome to have a league here :)

Marvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
Reactions: chabas

Welchy10

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 25, 2017
So wondered if I could maybe ask for a little help from you guys. I am noway the fastest driver here but I do feel my lack of a good car setup is really hampering me. Being 5/6 seconds off the pace is ridiculous and is frustrating me. I know the car setup is far from great and I spend most of my time just trying to make the car as good as possible can with my limited knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone could maybe help and give me a crash course or perhaps a link to a website with lots of cool info and vids perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

venquessa

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 16, 2018
Not the answer you are wanting, but I would say the difference between a good setup and the default loose is maybe only 1 second, 2 max.

The only real solution is to practice relentlessly. This is my first online season and I am putting in around 15+ hours practice for each race starting from Saturday morning.

As an example, for Sakitto my laps on Saturday morning were 1:44-1:45. By Sunday evening after about 100 laps I was doing 1:43s and 1:41s in qualy. Then doing the online practice races Sunday, Monday, Tuesday the consistency of being able to do 35 laps straight within 0.4 seconds of each other without spinning or making many large mistakes starts to develop. In the race about 33 of my 35 laps where low 1:43s. Doing 1:42s every other lap and having a major mistake every other laps won't get podiums.

Actually my current issue is, as I develop my race consistency my qualifying times suffer, as I'm less likely to take those dangerous ballsy lines to gain tenths round the lap.

venquessa

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 16, 2018
If you want to try different setups a quick fix is to go to timetrial, find some top ghosts with setups, add them as ghosts and start the TT. You will find their setups in the share panel in Edit Setup. Save them off and try and them out. Using one of these as a base setup can save you time.

Reactions: Welchy10

Ranno

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
So wondered if I could maybe ask for a little help from you guys. I am noway the fastest driver here but I do feel my lack of a good car setup is really hampering me. Being 5/6 seconds off the pace is ridiculous and is frustrating me. I know the car setup is far from great and I spend most of my time just trying to make the car as good as possible can with my limited knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone could maybe help and give me a crash course or perhaps a link to a website with lots of cool info and vids perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
I know nothing about setting up the car, but I can share the setup I got from someone when I joined AOR. This is in fact the only setup I can drive somewhat consistently. I have tried a few setups from TT and they are usually good for only 1-2 fast laps and I don't have the knowledge to make them last longer.

As @venquessa mentioned, I also need more than 100 laps of practice to be able to drive safely and without spins in random corners. Otherwise I'm not enjoying any part of this and this has been the case for last two rounds.

Reactions: Welchy10

VoodooChild

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018

Thanks in advance.
starting from a default setup, this is how you can modify your car's behaviour:

attachment.png

there is a lot more stuff that you can learn reading PC2Tuner's manual:

If you want to dive deep in setups and be eventually (after due training and learning) able to create a setup taylored on your driving style, i urge you to buy PC2tuner at www.racingsimtools.com , it's only 10$ and it's ridicolous value to the price.

Ranno

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
If you want to dive deep in setups and be eventually (after due training and learning) able to create a setup taylored on your driving style, i urge you to buy PC2tuner at www.racingsimtools.com , it's only 10$ and it's ridicolous value to the price.
Do they sell time for all of this too? :p
I'm struggling to find the time to dial in tire pressures for a track every week. Anything more and I won't have time to practice at all.

venquessa

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 16, 2018
Speaking of tyre pressures. Brake ducts. At Sakitto I had a major issue leaving the pits because I had my brake ducts almost completely closed, think I was running 10/5 to keep them warm for turn 1. The trouble is, while this kept my brakes around 300-500*C the whole lap, when sitting in the pits my tyre pressures rose to 1.95 bar. Making the outlap terrifying.

Ranno

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
Speaking of tyre pressures. Brake ducts. At Sakitto I had a major issue leaving the pits because I had my brake ducts almost completely closed, think I was running 10/5 to keep them warm for turn 1. The trouble is, while this kept my brakes around 300-500*C the whole lap, when sitting in the pits my tyre pressures rose to 1.95 bar. Making the outlap terrifying.
I had the same problem on first couple of laps. Because we restarted, I hold the brakes on while going really slow and my tire pressures skyrocketed. That's probably why I lost it in the 130r, at least I had never spun there in practice (without going on the outside stones).

venquessa

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 16, 2018
I use dragging the brakes to get the pressures up at the start of out laps. It has an increased effect when car is travelling slowly. With cold tyres out of the pits, drag the brakes to get them up to 500+C and then stop and watch your pressures rocket up and tyre temps barely climb.

Ranno

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
It has an increased effect when car is travelling slowly.
Yeah, learned that the hard way. But I'm not surprised, I always mess up if there is something out of the ordinary.

chabas

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 22, 2017
Can we agree that we don’t restart for one person or even better just follow the AOR rules. What if after restart someone else will have problems with the connection/game/vr etc. This time I think we almost lost @poisike78. I know that it is very nice and polite but this way we can hurt someone else.

Saying that, I am almost 100% sure that it is me who will need that next time.

Ranno

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
Can we agree that we don’t restart for one person or even better just follow the AOR rules. What if after restart someone else will have problems with the connection/game/vr etc. This time I think we almost lost @poisike78. I know that it is very nice and polite but this way we can hurt someone else.

Saying that, I am almost 100% sure that it is me who will need that next time.
I think we did agree on that at some point, but maybe it was in S10, can't really remember. I remember that we didn't restart in the beginning of the season, doing it for some people and not for others seems unfair to me. But as this time there were a few people who asked for it, I just didn't want to be bad and strict (for a change). Either way, it's up to me, so You can blame me.

Yeah, for some reason my headset looses tracking when we restart. I have no idea why that happens, probably a WindowsMR thing. Most of the time it starts working again after I rotate it in all directions, as last time.

Welchy10

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all your advice. Yeah practicing is not easy for me. I have a particularly busy lifestyle so getting lots of practice in like you guys is extremely tricky for me. But with your advice I will try to sneak some more in for future rounds.

Deerladog

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
@Welchy10 I can donate you a baseline setup I have for the M6 made by a crazed BMW lover if you're interested. Like @venquessa said, a good setup won't suddenly find you 5 seconds, but what it can do is make it much easier to keep your car on the track for extended periods of time. If you crash 4 or 5 times in a race and each spin costs you 15 seconds or so after you've pulled yourself back on track, then you're already not far off being a lap down which isn't good. Even more time if your accident costs you damage. The only reason I got 4th at Nords was because I was apparently one of the few drivers who was able to avoid the temptation to end up in a wall at some point. I kept it clean, if not slow, at Oscherswampen and it got me top 10 from almost last on the grid. There's a lot to be said for a safe setup, even if it costs you half a second a lap in outright pace. Although there's no guarantee a setup someone gives you will work, @poisike78 apparently despises the setup that works perfectly well for me, so its beneficial to find what works for you.