PC - AOR GT3 S12 - PC Tier 1 - Main Thread | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR GT3 S12 - PC Tier 1 - Main Thread

VSR_Neptune

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 9, 2018
I see that i’ve been put as reserve, will i have chance to race tomorrow night ?

KrypticTMG

F1 2nd Driver
Apr 4, 2015
Not when I'm driving the M6 I can't, I must be doing something wrong :)

But yea, in terms of the level of simulation, and the car physics themselves (suspension, weight, momentum etc), and the tyre model (construction, flex, temperature distribution), I'd say they did a really great job. I also agree the tyres are relatively more forgiving in terms of acceptable/optimum lateral slip than AC, but to me I can mostly write that off as that they are simulating a different tyre compound/construction than other sims do.

Imo if there was anything was overly unrealistic it is how forgiving/durable the tyres are. The way the fastest guys slide the car around (and to an extent the kind of setups they run) would blister real tyres over anything more than a few laps, the way they brake would flatspot the tyres so bad they would never last an hour without needing changed. And running hards so far below temp should grain them so bad you'd be going slower every lap.

I assume some of that is a design decision, I remember Ian Bell saying before the game launched that it simulates flatspots (in that you get less grip from a tyre overall when you flatspot them really bad) but they decided not to make the FFB shake your wheel (like Assetto Corsa etc would), because they figured more people hated that, than liked it. I expect if they wanted to make the tyres kill you at the slightest abuse they could have, they just didn't want to.

For all the things I wish SMS did differently with PC2 (I'd love to be able to /restart_session like in AC and I despise the join lockout after the last 3 mins of Q, etc), when its all working, imo, it works well.

I know the streams/opinions of Nicki Thiim etc were discussed to death on the Project Cars 2 forum. I've not seen the video and I didn't read anywhere near enough of it to remember specifics, but I do remember some people pointing out a lot of things like they were driving straight out the pits on cold tyres and spinning then being confused, or they were sliding around calling it too easy while lapping 5 seconds off the pace etc, and that they didn't give it a proper/fair/serious/correct attempt. No idea if that is correct though.
I think if you drive in a more realistic smooth fashion on pcars the likely hood is you wont be that fast, the aggressive driving style is defo faster on this game but on most other sims it doesn't really pay off.

Well i remember a few months after pc2 came out one of my mates was talking to jake denis who had been racing in blancpain for WRT Audi team and he said they use Assetto corsa in there simulator and when he was asked have you tried pcars2? he said yeah, but the handling was totally off you cant use that game for a simulator and he's not someone who is new to pcars he was rapid on pcars1. I think the best thing about pcars is the community, you can overlook average physics if the community is strong because there is lots of us playing so we are all having fun but that doesn't mean the game is a great simulator.

I know SMS went into loads of detail and so did F1 2018 with alot of data from Pirelli but it doesnt mean its been done well or been coded well. They simulated a different tyre model i'd love to know what tyre model that they used lol. If you can warm the hards up 9 times out of 10 they are faster than the softs even when its cold, what tyre model is this lol hard tyres should be more durable but over a lap unless really hot or on tracks that are really hard on tyres the softs should always be quicker until they begin to Wear/Blister or overheat it doesnt make sense.

I think most ppl dont really want or find a hardcore simulator fun which is fine i get that its like all these guys playing F1 2018 and gran turismo probably wouldn't want them to turn into a super hardcore sim and its the same with pcars2, but for me its important to voice the things that they & we can help them improve for Pcars3 in terms of handling physics the behaviour of the cars over curbs car balance & setups.

• Agree
Reactions: Kapo and Shooter80

Daniel Nesterowicz

AOR PC GT3 Pro S8 Champion
Nov 21, 2015
@Jardier nice you shouted out a bit! and i love the game and physics too, as i do on ACC & iRacing. But the instability online - also made me quit training. But i will finish the season and take it for what it is. before i move on.

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014
I think if you drive in a more realistic smooth fashion on pcars the likely hood is you wont be that fast, the aggressive driving style is defo faster on this game but on most other sims it doesn't really pay off.

Well i remember a few months after pc2 came out one of my mates was talking to jake denis who had been racing in blancpain for WRT Audi team and he said they use Assetto corsa in there simulator and when he was asked have you tried pcars2? he said yeah, but the handling was totally off you cant use that game for a simulator and he's not someone who is new to pcars he was rapid on pcars1. I think the best thing about pcars is the community, you can overlook average physics if the community is strong because there is lots of us playing so we are all having fun but that doesn't mean the game is a great simulator.

I know SMS went into loads of detail and so did F1 2018 with alot of data from Pirelli but it doesnt mean its been done well or been coded well. They simulated a different tyre model i'd love to know what tyre model that they used lol. If you can warm the hards up 9 times out of 10 they are faster than the softs even when its cold, what tyre model is this lol hard tyres should be more durable but over a lap unless really hot or on tracks that are really hard on tyres the softs should always be quicker until they begin to Wear/Blister or overheat it doesnt make sense.

I think most ppl dont really want or find a hardcore simulator fun which is fine i get that its like all these guys playing F1 2018 and gran turismo probably wouldn't want them to turn into a super hardcore sim and its the same with pcars2, but for me its important to voice the things that they & we can help them improve for Pcars3 in terms of handling physics the behaviour of the cars over curbs car balance & setups.
In reply to the bit in bold and after, the tyre model that most series' in sportscar and GT series run where the tyres are temperature dependent and that dictates whether the soft or hard tyre is used. F1 and one or two other race series' run differently and have it in reverse where the tyres are engineered to run short distances with the softer the compound, the faster it is but the quicker it degrades. Look at Sportscar series' and GT series, tyres can run for multiple hour long stints with consistent pace throughout. Even then a number of them only have a single compound available which is usually what is effectively a 'hard' tyre, or the tyre available is dictated by the supplier rather than the teams having a choice / say in it. The popularity of F1 and the importance of tyres and how they've been engineered into the racing is what makes people think that we've got it wrong.

As for the hardcore simulation approach, yeah, there are elements of it that aren't fun at all which are why some elements are dialed down or not included at all. Flat spots for example, while yeah, cool to have included in concept and in effect, but terrible when actually implemented. The ease at which you could flat spot a tyre IRL is not suited for a gamer driving with your standard pedal set with little feel (in the grand scheme of things). The amount it would happen would be very high, to then have players a stubbornness kick in and their refusal to not pit so they can 'stay in the race' would lead to more frustration with players FFB going nuts. Depending on players FFB settings, the wheel and how bad the flat spot is, it could lead to compromising the players wheel and I certainly wouldn't want to be having to buy a new wheel every few months due to the FFB getting knackered, or having to run the FFB down low to work around it.

• Informative
Reactions: dakuza

Chloé

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2019
@dakuza I won't be able to attend the last 2 races because of holidays. I have a spare laptop but i don't think it can run PC2 as it's an old one.

• Informative
Reactions: dakuza

dakuza

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Feb 8, 2018
@jlacey1995 (Jardaan) will move to Tier 1 for the of the season. Welcome!

Please announce your car and possible team selection here.

VSR_Neptune

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 9, 2018
Well, that's over, and with it comes to an end @ApexOnRacing GT3 S12. A quick note on today's race, my performance was absolutely appalling. After messing quali i should have been fighting deep into the top 8 after my start. The simple fact is that i made way too many mistakes. Spins, missed brakes, silly hitting of kerbs. It all went badly, which is what makes me the most disappointed in my performance. I had real good pace and could run solid solid laps. I had a great start and threw it all away. My own doing. I felt like my pace proved my worth in PC Tier 1 and i was finally getting to mix it up with the best sim racers on @projectcarsgame . A note on S12 as a whole, thoroughly enjoyable first season, many of my performances have been sub-par for my standards as i've always had great pace and threw it all away in the race due to mistakes or many unavoidable accidents. Moving from PS4 T2 to PC T1 was a huge huge leap but i am proud of how i adapted and how i feel i showed my worth. I have HUGE respect for the drivers in both tiers equally and i had some real quality racing at times. With the end of S12 i will be taking a break from racing for a little while (couple of months or so) as i have a lot going on in my life. I may be back for s13, i may not be. Finally i would just like to mention my @VisceralRacing teammates, @Ethan_Graham28 @AOR_Slipstream @CJBMX702_ (my setup saviour) & @Beniszili, i'm so proud of the performances you have all put in this season and i'm looking forward to what the future has to bring for us all. Today was not great on a personal note, but i have a lengthy break and i will be back stronger and refreshed. #WeLiveVisceral #AOR

Thank you ALL this season. Congrats champ @dalking38. See you all soon. (totally not ripped from my twitter XD)

dakuza

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Feb 8, 2018
Final race of the season done and results updated. Once again congratulations to our season champion @dalking38!

And thanks to you all for participating in the season and helping this fun despite the technical difficulties we had. I was positively surprised by the lack of incidents and stewards queries this season. Let's keep this trend going next season.

Big thanks to our hosts @Jarmo, @Daniel Nesterowicz, @aidtheace and @Yorkie065 for helping with making the races happen.:love:

For me personally this was a season of misfortune. Two disconnections and a race ending pile up at Daytona combined with a less than optimal car selection meant I end up dead last of the drivers who participated in all races. Oh well off to Tier 2 for next season, you guys are too fast for me. :alien:

BMW /// M-Power

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
well, you were atleast one of the guys who chose a diferent car than lambo or amg. So dont think you need to go tier 2 :D

Jarmo

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2019
Wow, what an unfortunate ending for me this season. I have been practicing a lot for this race and I managed to find an awesome pace. I was so ready to fight for the top but suddenly my game closes between qualifing and the race (hopefully this issue is solved now though). The same thing also happened during my evaluation race for this league. However, the coordinators believed in me for tier 1 and I'm so happy for that!

This season 12 has been an amazing journey for me and I want to thank everybody involved, especially thanks to @VoodooChild for helping with setups, @LeoNTheSickOne for teaching me techniques, the Lambo and racinglines, @Mr. Van Ommen and @dalking38 for helping me get comfortable with traffic. Remember this was my first ever simracing experience and look at me now, hungry for even more simracing. Thanks to you GUYS!

Big congratulations to @dalking38 with that well deserved championship win!

Murph

Formula 4 Test Driver
Mar 8, 2018
Again, echoing everyone's thank you's to everyone making this happen, to the co-ordinators and commentators especially having to put up with us all season... Its been a throughly enjoyable experience!

My first season in the highest tier after progressing through the ranks of tier 3 and tier 2... It went as well as i think it could of gone for me. Very consistant with some solid points scoring finishes and keeping my nose out of trouble led to a decent amount of top 10 finishes in a car that was unfancied (i blame @dakuza putting out the challenge to be his team mate in the SLS haha)... Unfortunately had to miss the last 2 races due to other commitments..

Hopefully will be back in S13, maybe I'll pick a car thats a bit more competitive or find something no one has found yet and may spring a surprise in my car selection ;) ... Just have to wait and see I guess.. The time for testing is now haha...

Reactions: VoodooChild

Chloé

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2019
@Woofer you have to do a time attack and an evaluation race before you get placed in a tier, but for now just prepare for the next season :sneaky: