PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
@TicklishPicklewickle btw won't there be practice races this season?
Well if any of you guys wants to host it we can do it. But with my uni schedule it's never sure if I will be able to host out of the normal league races. And @Chloé used to do practice races on Tuesdays but he's now racing in the ACC league on Tuesday.
But if any of you guys would be willing to put up a thread every week and has good enough internet to host, then I'm sure we can make it happen :)

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Driver update:

@ringman has been prevented from continuing on in the league due to work commitments taking too much of his time. This means that @Lee Cushing has been promoted to a main driver

Reactions: NEILY84

Enton

AOR PC GT3 S15 T2 Champion
Aug 16, 2016
@EikeSky and me had bit conversation about networking and stuff last night after Laguna seca, summed the infos the networking can be impoved by any ideas like udp off and some related stuff by default.

There is a method or another option we can held our sessions/lobbys. It's a dedicated server running by Eike and we jion after we sing off ourself steam client offline mode to elliminate any steamwork(s)/steamnetwork flow issue(s).
If it works for everybody its a way more smoother gameplay can reach by that way, we just need to set some practice session with lots of us from T2 to test it.

So maybe we can bring back that all night practice session if there anyone who want to practice next race.
We need some addition info of that from one of the biggest IT mind in here @Shooter80 to help us to establish any of that. Like he did that back than S12 or S13.

Cheers.
And any info/hack/Vr settings/ect can be shared to help here.

Reactions: StephenCarry

SteveO916

F1 Senna Equivalent
Dec 20, 2016
I think we need to try a UK host (@PhantomHamster ) . The sportsplay lan server idea suggested above also worked quite well the few times we tried it during S12. (more details about it HERE )

Enton

Aug 16, 2016
I think we need to try a UK host (@PhantomHamster ) . The sportsplay lan server idea suggested above also worked quite well the few times we tried it during S12. (more details about it HERE )
I am not totaly sure about EikeSky location but he has good base too run dedicated server and stream the race in spectator mode thats just one option now which is almost the best for start trying.
We can test any other host if we have any just need a bit time and a lot of us for testing any variation of whos the host, but ideall situation the host need to have decent pc power or 2 machine one to server run and one for play, and some good optical connection to handle the 26 racers infos between each other.

Need a lot of volunteer starting tonight, i start a social race thread, come and join if u wanna help or had time to test this thing to sort out:

PhantomHamster

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jun 23, 2016
I am not totaly sure about EikeSky location but he has good base too run dedicated server and stream the race in spectator mode thats just one option now which is almost the best for start trying.
We can test any other host if we have any just need a bit time and a lot of us for testing any variation of whos the host, but ideall situation the host need to have decent pc power or 2 machine one to server run and one for play, and some good optical connection to handle the 26 racers infos between each other.

Need a lot of volunteer starting tonight, i start a social race thread, come and join if u wanna help or had time to test this thing to sort out:
I hosted for season 12 and I dont think we had any major problems so I don't mind giving it a try

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
I'm willing to try this if you guys really want to. If @EikeSky is willing to host it as well of course. Have never had any complaints about my hosting as I have more than enough juice to host normally. Also, location of the host shouldn't matter in peer-to-peer as every client needs to connect to one another as opposed to just the host. What would ease the strain on peer-to-peer would be to limit the overall geographical area with connected drivers but that's never going to happen as all should be welcome no matter where they're from. On the other hand a dedicated server would mean that distance to the server alone matters. Which means we might start to see people further away from the UK start to have troubles.

But if you guys want to I'm willing to try and see if it makes any difference :)

EikeSky

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 4, 2017

Can't tonight as I'm casting fia GT championship ☹

• Informative
Reactions: Enton

Shooter80

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
If you guys would like to run a dedicated server for a test, or the race itself, I could host one for you on the same Microsoft Azure server that we used back in S12 (and that we currently now use to host the ACC servers). I could set it up so that you could control everything yourselves, and I expect it will work as well as it did back then (which as far as I remember it was very smooth) but...

The big problem though, that caused us to stop using it is the effort required in getting people into the lobbies, since there is no way join via a friend, nor to invite people to the lobby...
People need to launch the game with a certain launch option in order to be able to connect, this in practice turned out to be much harder to communicate and organise than I'd have expected, the chances of one or two drivers saying "its not working for me" and failing to connect is about as high as the chances of one or two drivers having issues in a P2P lobby, so there really wasn't a net-gain from that side, and it caused a considerable amount of extra effort/hassle.

I did throw together a small .exe that was designed to do everything for the driver, but considering how easy it is to join via a friend, or invite someone to a lobby, once the main P2P instability of PC2 was resolved then ultimately it was considered best to switch back to using the P2P servers, I'd expect a similar outcome this time around.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
How many did we have with connection issues yesterday? Cause as far as I heard, most of the people were complaining about stuttering and not lag in the server. Racing on a DS won't fix people's stuttering as that is an issue related to the individual game/PC and not a server related issue

Enton

Aug 16, 2016
How many did we have with connection issues yesterday? Cause as far as I heard, most of the people were complaining about stuttering and not lag in the server. Racing on a DS won't fix people's stuttering as that is an issue related to the individual game/PC and not a server related issue
That was my first reaction to EikeSky to discuss, but there is a chance we can improve any stability why we are not tried than, thats why AOR is a great community and can suprise you some great brainstorming testin sessions, so i can do anything to test and practice, and we can solve each others problem by UDP off and ect settings and options to race better than woried about anything unwanted bug/drop/shutter/lag/stream or any problem(s).
Make that old game looks like what can we form how we want or needed for us to compete/race/have fun(Sowls).

So hit me or Ticklish or Eike for any further information or help.

D.Brezancic

F1 Multiple Champion
Mar 6, 2017
Let me say a little about "my issue" again....I am on AOR about 14th seasons (gt3 and enduro), - with pcars1 two seasons, other with pcars2.
With both game versions, I have the same issue: During online race my car feels very different-simply to say: IT LOOKS LIKE I AM DRIVING ON DIFFERENT SURFACE WITH LOWER VALUE OF FRICTION!!! Qualy session isn't so bad, but race itself-its just bad to worst! So, my online pace is about 1-1,5 sec lower than in my lobby-practice, race....offline practice race etc.
There is a whole story about that issue in general forum http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...MPLETELY-different-in-race-vs-private-testing and this is even noted for SMS like a bug, but nothing changed and It will not be changed. I tried everything people suggested, think but no luck! Just nothing. Didn't experienced lags ever from my side I believe (no one complains ever), but there some big and small freezes last 2-3 seasons and some stutter too. I have also found some software on my PC causing some troubles so I reduced or totally removed freezes, at least for know. I did also a little races with raceroom and AC earlier having no issues like this in pcars.
Before this season (gt3 and enduro) I installed a fresh copy of windows, even remove many software, killed many services, adjust win for gaming as much as I can and know, but nothing helps. So i do not know what is the problem, but many of people have this issue (reading official forum) - even found some guy from AOR with same issue-he gave up a long time ago.

When I enter lobby I always watch those triangles-i have it red from drivers from USA, South Africa...sometimes, but rarely, from someone from Europe too. Most of them a lemon yellow, but there are some with darker yellow. So it says about connection between our computers I believe. But I didn't see many lags from other people after so much races I did. It was very rarely.
Last night I had constant stutter all the time...didn't see any lags from others.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Let me say a little about "my issue" again....I am on AOR about 14th seasons (gt3 and enduro), - with pcars1 two seasons, other with pcars2.
With both game versions, I have the same issue: During online race my car feels very different-simply to say: IT LOOKS LIKE I AM DRIVING ON DIFFERENT SURFACE WITH LOWER VALUE OF FRICTION!!! Qualy session isn't so bad, but race itself-its just bad to worst! So, my online pace is about 1-1,5 sec lower than in my lobby-practice, race....offline practice race etc.
There is a whole story about that issue in general forum http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...MPLETELY-different-in-race-vs-private-testing and this is even noted for SMS like a bug, but nothing changed and It will not be changed. I tried everything people suggested, think but no luck! Just nothing. Didn't experienced lags ever from my side I believe (no one complains ever), but there some big and small freezes last 2-3 seasons and some stutter too. I have also found some software on my PC causing some troubles so I reduced or totally removed freezes, at least for know. I did also a little races with raceroom and AC earlier having no issues like this in pcars.
Before this season (gt3 and enduro) I installed a fresh copy of windows, even remove many software, killed many services, adjust win for gaming as much as I can and know, but nothing helps. So i do not know what is the problem, but many of people have this issue (reading official forum) - even found some guy from AOR with same issue-he gave up a long time ago.

When I enter lobby I always watch those triangles-i have it red from drivers from USA, South Africa...sometimes, but rarely, from someone from Europe too. Most of them a lemon yellow, but there are some with darker yellow. So it says about connection between our computers I believe. But I didn't see many lags from other people after so much races I did. It was very rarely.
Last night I had constant stutter all the time...didn't see any lags from others.
The issue with offline vs online feel has indeed been a known issues since the dawn of the first PCARS game. There's been done some rather in-depth tests of this and from what I've read on forums/articles/etc. it's somehow related to PC performance. Not saying that your PC can't handle the game, but it's something along the lines of your PC having to process more things in an online session vs an offline one. There will basically always be a difference in feel from offline to online but how much of a difference depends on your PC performance. If it is a bit of an oldie, there will be a bigger difference from offline to online than if you have a newer more powerful machine.
I had this issue a couple years ago as well when my PC was very outdated. It would basically be like night and day when switching from offline practice to online race. The only advise I can give you is to practice online. Make your own session and just make it private and only allow for 1 slot in the lobby so that it's only you. I'm not sure if that'll give you exactly the right conditions but I'm sure it'll be closer than just practicing offline