Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
So it would seem that there are still a couple people who has problems with lag and there's some speculation whether or not my hosting is the source of it. It has been proposed that we try with another host so that's what we're going to do.

We're gonna go with the guy with the best internet of the lot (who is willing to host of course, no one are forced to do it). So if you're willing to host, smack a pigtest towards the Vodafone UK London server up in this thread and we will go with whoever has the best connection.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
well no lags for me this time :)

SMACK A PIGTEST GOGOGO :poop:
Nope but now others are having lag

So definitely something wrong on my end.. right?

Let's just try this and see if it's any better. If it's not we can say for sure that it isn't on my end that things are acting up

D.Brezancic

F1 Multiple Race Winner
Mar 6, 2017
It's a P2P networking so host is not so important I believe. On other hand your connection is more than a good. The important thing is distance between PC's.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
It's a P2P networking so host is not so important I believe. On other hand your connection is more than a good. The important thing is distance between PC's.
And that's a thing we can't change unless we start kicking out drivers but we don't wanna do that of course.
My decision to do this is purely based on that for the last 2 races a handful of people have complained about lag and it seems they are sure it's not on their end. It's been suggested both times that we try another host so I'm just pleasing the masses here :)

D.Brezancic

F1 Multiple Race Winner
Mar 6, 2017
Yes, it's clear to me but I believe nothing will be changed...cause again PC's will communicate with each other.

NynS

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 23, 2019
Must say that it was WAY better than Laguna Seca for me this time and beside two very small freezelags it was manageable. If UDP is off at everyone's I am 99% sure I wouldn't have lags.
I do remember last season in tier 2 with Voodoo that some people had trouble with his geolocation in Italy and ultimately iirc someone else hosted for a race, and the exact same stuff happened. I don't think changing host location would make a difference.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: D.Brezancic

Mearcat

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 9, 2018
Another thing I noticed was a lot of people dropping out of the Dischord server. Not sure if any of them exited the race server though.

That does lag everyone out when they exit and there are intermittent lag jumps for a period after as well. That's what I experienced at least once. The replay for the whole race was very jumpy but during the race generally smooth except for those little moments.

I think going from memory it is to do with the weather, rain is very resource heavy as the host has to simulate the rain/puddles/surface drainage/spray etc.

NynS

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 23, 2019
@Mearcat Am I the only one that had better CPU/GPU performance in the rain than in the dry? XD

Claes Landbo

Formula Karter
Mar 16, 2017
I've found a better place for my router...
Significantly better pings and speeds now, hope that does it.
I'd rather not go look for a new pc right now ;)

Mearcat

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 9, 2018
@Mearcat Am I the only one that had better CPU/GPU performance in the rain than in the dry? XD
Clients may get better performance as wet weather covers the sun = less shadows/reflections/god rays etc.

Host is a client & server so has greater resource need which could impact performance on their end which we see as lag. Not an expert but that's an observation from running testing lobbies.

In my case was oval section smoooth inside section fps dropped a lot, with less car was better a bit.
That could be your settings, less cars would mean less car graphics to draw. Check your grass/tree settings and reflections/car details, another good one is motion blur or any kind of blur is really not needed for on screen as your eyes do it anyway. no point doubling the effect.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
I'm sorry but i have to quit this league...
My internet is simply not fast enough :(
But I'm moving in a month or so and hope to have a better connection by then...
Sad to see the Ginetta team lose a member. Hope to see you back again when all is well with your internet :)

Reactions: Claes Landbo