PC - AOR GT3 S14 - PC Tier 2 - Round 6: Sakitto GP - 27.11.19 @8PM UK TIME | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR GT3 S14 - PC Tier 2 - Round 6: Sakitto GP - 27.11.19 @8PM UK TIME

Mearcat

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 9, 2018
I am not one for normally posting on such matters but everyone seems to be focusing on what everyone says is "wrong" instead of looking a little deeper.

I have watched the replay and I observed this:
  1. Vlcecz seems to have a network stutter throughout the race
  2. He seems to be struggling with the car a lot with snapping oversteer/understeer all through the race
  3. he clips the kerbs which in wet conditions are lethal
  4. every time he is braking he is sliding off most times with the locked wheel noise.
  5. He starts 2nd on a reverse grid in Tier 2
So, I see a number of things for the above:
  1. Stuttering at points where there are bodies of water is a possible performance issue or the stutter could be from the memory sharing option. Need to talk too to solve.
  2. The car does not look setup for his driving style, possibly even running one of the defaults! I can't run well with the defaults and I'm quite an experienced sim racer (may not be a fast one but I have 800+ hours and 6 seasons worth of experience and minimal stewards for/against). I am happy to help Vlcecz with this even if he is a season rival ;)
  3. Again this is down to "experience". "If the kerbs are dry rumble away, if they're wet stay away" (a relevant comment from an instructor during my donnington days).
  4. Brake bias and brake pressure problem. This is a related setup and experience issue. You need the experience at setting up to be able to change this to suit the conditions.
  5. what does that tell you about experience level.
My honest conclusion based on what I have observed is those that were involved in said incidents by all means do what you think is required (stewards or private message solution). Everyone seems to be focusing on his incidents, especially quoting lap 5 onward. I would quote lap 2 - 4 and the conduct of some of our more experienced racers. Vlcecz is forced wide on lap 2 and shunted from the rear on lap 3, both by seasoned racers. This could of caused damage to his car affecting handling leading to the later incidents. Yes some of vlcecz's rejoins, cornering and braking were strange, but this is something that requires help and practice in doing safely.

There were many questionable moves from other racers (lap 7 Spoon, lap 8 130R, lap 9 130R *I was forced wide by a veteran that didn't leave space when exiting the corner*, lap 12 pit entry etc. I can go on picking fault with everyone including me - 130R Lap 44) to single out 1 driver is not fair on anyone with the above ridicule and I hope it does not continue. Vlcecz could benefit more with some guidance/practice from some veteran racers in some practice sessions, others could benefit from a re-read of the rules regarding overtaking and rejoining.

@vlceCZ let me know what control method you are using as it either looks like a controller or in places a keyboard. Also if you want any help with setting up the car for your next race. I will be happy to help. I also try and run Testing sessions Sunday through Tuesday evenings if you want to join for guidance/practice, I am usually on the dischord during these as well.

(I also had a moment with another driver on lap 44 that I thought was a dirty move and did an outburst. After I checked the replay, I apologised as we (both veteran racers) made an error which we tried to avoid and my comment over dischord was unjustified. We also sorted this out privately and most certainly have not ridiculed each other publicly like above).

Reactions: martin78 and duce

psycho

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2019
I am not one for normally posting on such matters but everyone seems to be focusing on what everyone says is "wrong" instead of looking a little deeper.

I have watched the replay and I observed this:
  1. Vlcecz seems to have a network stutter throughout the race
  2. He seems to be struggling with the car a lot with snapping oversteer/understeer all through the race
  3. he clips the kerbs which in wet conditions are lethal
  4. every time he is braking he is sliding off most times with the locked wheel noise.
  5. He starts 2nd on a reverse grid in Tier 2
So, I see a number of things for the above:
  1. Stuttering at points where there are bodies of water is a possible performance issue or the stutter could be from the memory sharing option. Need to talk too to solve.
  2. The car does not look setup for his driving style, possibly even running one of the defaults! I can't run well with the defaults and I'm quite an experienced sim racer (may not be a fast one but I have 800+ hours and 6 seasons worth of experience and minimal stewards for/against). I am happy to help Vlcecz with this even if he is a season rival ;)
  3. Again this is down to "experience". "If the kerbs are dry rumble away, if they're wet stay away" (a relevant comment from an instructor during my donnington days).
  4. Brake bias and brake pressure problem. This is a related setup and experience issue. You need the experience at setting up to be able to change this to suit the conditions.
  5. what does that tell you about experience level.
My honest conclusion based on what I have observed is those that were involved in said incidents by all means do what you think is required (stewards or private message solution). Everyone seems to be focusing on his incidents, especially quoting lap 5 onward. I would quote lap 2 - 4 and the conduct of some of our more experienced racers. Vlcecz is forced wide on lap 2 and shunted from the rear on lap 3, both by seasoned racers. This could of caused damage to his car affecting handling leading to the later incidents. Yes some of vlcecz's rejoins, cornering and braking were strange, but this is something that requires help and practice in doing safely.

There were many questionable moves from other racers (lap 7 Spoon, lap 8 130R, lap 9 130R *I was forced wide by a veteran that didn't leave space when exiting the corner*, lap 12 pit entry etc. I can go on picking fault with everyone including me - 130R Lap 44) to single out 1 driver is not fair on anyone with the above ridicule and I hope it does not continue. Vlcecz could benefit more with some guidance/practice from some veteran racers in some practice sessions, others could benefit from a re-read of the rules regarding overtaking and rejoining.

@vlceCZ let me know what control method you are using as it either looks like a controller or in places a keyboard. Also if you want any help with setting up the car for your next race. I will be happy to help. I also try and run Testing sessions Sunday through Tuesday evenings if you want to join for guidance/practice, I am usually on the dischord during these as well.

(I also had a moment with another driver on lap 44 that I thought was a dirty move and did an outburst. After I checked the replay, I apologised as we (both veteran racers) made an error which we tried to avoid and my comment over dischord was unjustified. We also sorted this out privately and most certainly have not ridiculed each other publicly like above).
Ok Mearcat thank you for that makes sense, I apologised i'm one of posting on such matters i was mad, really should do what i do is pull off the track and start from the back this is not about winner, being safe as possible i'm slow so try to keep out the way, I'v done 1500hrs on project cars2 and over 5000hrs project cars 1 but still slow ha ha. Vlcecz time trial is a good place to go car setup then change to your liking thank you good luck.

martin78

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Feb 20, 2019
@Mearcat i can say, that @vlceCZ definitely doesn't use gamepad or keyboard as he is using Thrustmaster T500 ;)
but i have to bow before you and your understanding and empathy (y)

MADDOG

Formula Karter
Feb 10, 2017
Will someone else host the lobby to see if it solves the lag problems I would but tick thinks it will be a bad idea.
It's not system related as the other lobbys I have no trouble.
PC specs 2080 ti i5 6600 at 4.4 ghz on all cores 16gb ddr4 all up to date virgin media 100 Mbps wired to the modem

StephenCarry

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jun 13, 2019
well I think that @TicklishPicklewickles hosting works just fine. We had our connection troubles in race 1 and maaaybe race 2 but after that I reckon nobody complained.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
So screw me then
You must admit it looks a bit wierd that no one but you has issues anymore. I already tried to get people to volunteer for hosting earlier on in the season with no luck and I'm not going to go beg for people to host my lobbies. If they want to host they can come to me and ask.

As for your situation, the only reason I want it to be someone else than you is because it seems to be just you that is lagging. If you then go and host there's obviously not going to be trouble because you're the one hosting and you need to connect to yourself. If we don't get anyone to host, I'll let you host but I honestly don't think it's gonna show much when you're the one hosting. But sure, let's try it if no one else wants to host :rolleyes:

MADDOG

Formula Karter
Feb 10, 2017
So when you host where do we connect to regional wise I'll do a ping test to see if that is the cause

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
This is the result seems ok to me?
View attachment 99042
Upload isn't too great tho :p

The problem with 1 screenshot of a pingtest is that you don't have a picture if your network is stable or not. We would need some sort of way to measure the connection live to get a picture.
As I said, let's just try with you as host but I honestly don't think it'll make any difference

Mearcat

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 9, 2018
I do get an occasional drop in network performance, mainly when a lot of cars are nearby/going passed, also in high particle weather conditions (rain/haze). I get a real stutter if people disconnect, the stutter then occurs nearly every lap at that same position for the rest of the race (this was very noticeable Rnd 3/4).

Maddog I tend to have testing sessions up Sunday-Wednesday evenings so try joining one of them to see if you begin to have the same issue. I remember you mentioning about using VR so:
  • is there something running that could be interfering with your network (or the plugin for your VR unit) whilst running in the races?
  • Have you tried disabling the "Winupdate" service so that windows stops running auto update in the background (even on the lowest setting the updater still runs)?
  • Are you streaming?
  • Are you running a display other than your VR?
Just some ideas if you haven't tried them yet.

For instance, I suffered from constant stuttering until someone mentioned turning off the memory sharing in the UDP. I have had to sacrifice my custom racing display but it means that I now have a stable enough session to race. I had no stuttering when I ran 1920x1080 (Single screen) but it has crept back to a noticeable level since switching to 5760x1080 (triple screens) I just turned down/off some graphic settings so now it is minimal but does still occur.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Formula Karter
Feb 10, 2017
I do get an occasional drop in network performance, mainly when a lot of cars are nearby/going passed, also in high particle weather conditions (rain/haze). I get a real stutter if people disconnect, the stutter then occurs nearly every lap at that same position for the rest of the race (this was very noticeable Rnd 3/4).

Maddog I tend to have testing sessions up Sunday-Wednesday evenings so try joining one of them to see if you begin to have the same issue. I remember you mentioning about using VR so:
  • is there something running that could be interfering with your network (or the plugin for your VR unit) whilst running in the races?
  • Have you tried disabling the "Winupdate" service so that windows stops running auto update in the background (even on the lowest setting the updater still runs)?
  • Are you streaming?
  • Are you running a display other than your VR?
Just some ideas if you haven't tried them yet.

For instance, I suffered from constant stuttering until someone mentioned turning off the memory sharing in the UDP. I have had to sacrifice my custom racing display but it means that I now have a stable enough session to race. I had no stuttering when I ran 1920x1080 (Single screen) but it has crept back to a noticeable level since switching to 5760x1080 (triple screens) I just turned down/off some graphic settings so now it is minimal but does still occur.
When I was in your lobby everything was fine everyone's ping was low swapped to the other lobby everyone's ping was high in the 100's never had trouble in the endurance races or other leagues I have entered its the only time i've encountered the problem, When I left I and joined another public lobby same class roughly same amount of cars to see if it would happen again but ran fine.

NynS

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 23, 2019
That is to Denmark not my local server
But if you connect to Ticklish, then you download and upload from Ticklish's server.
I did a check to see if I get the same result to Denmark but it looks to be Virgin Media being a Virgin on internet speed.

edit: added screenshot and more text.

1575484665246.png

I don't have unplayable lag, for me it's still the issue that people use UDP and that causes a freeze here and there (3/4 a race)

Last edited: