PS4 - AOR GTSL S11 - CONSTRUCTORS CHALLENGE #1 - Rd.4 Gr.4 @ Laguna Seca | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 AOR GTSL S11 - CONSTRUCTORS CHALLENGE #1 - Rd.4 Gr.4 @ Laguna Seca

• Apologies for the forum outage today, should be resolved now. Be aware that you may have lost some posts from when before the forum went down, so please check if anything you posted is there or not and respost if you need to. Thanks - Erti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
CC_1_RD4.jpg

• Date: March 26, 2020
  • Lobby Opens: 7:00 PM (UK Time)
  • Event Starts: 7:50 PM (UK Time)
  • Tire Allocation: RH, RM (Feature) RM, RS (Sprint)
  • Event Format:
    • Qualifying: 10 Minutes
    • Feature Race: 26 Laps
    • Grid Start with False Start Check based on Qualifying
    • Sprint Race: 13 Laps
    • Reverse grid
    • The Sprint Race will use the in-game rolling start procedure with reverse grid based on the Feature Race results
●Track Map
2018-Laguna-Seca.jpg

● Weather Conditions:
Fine weather
● In-game time-of-day:
NOON

Notices:
● Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules and regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

● No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place.

● Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the rest of the lobby settings that will be used, look here.

● Save your replay: As a means of helping the stewards with any enquiries, all drivers are required to save their race replays and keep it stored for at least one week after the race has taken place. If you are involved in an incident or see something during the race that you feel needs to be investigated, you are free to make a stewards enquiry - however if enquiries are submitted without replay or race footage available, it is likely we can't do anything.

• Gran Turismo Sport features an in-game penalty system that allows the driver to serve any penalties acquired at their leisure. Predictably, this can cause problems, chief among them is the gaggle of cars at the end of races slamming on the brakes in a desperate attempt to scrub off any penalties they might have. In an effort to promote clean and fair racing we at AOR GT Sport League ask all drivers to practice the following procedure:
    Time penalties awarded by the game should be served as soon as possible within the next lap. If the penalty is not served within this time you will have the initial penalty + 1 second per sector until the penalty is served added to your overall race time. As always serving a penalty needs to be done safely, away from the racing line, without blocking and/ or endangering others. If a penalty is acquired during the last lap and is not able to be served before exiting the final corner, it may NOT be served before the finish line.
    Failure to follow this procedure may result in action taken by the Stewards Panel.

As for contact penalties you are allowed to ignore the penalty provided the contact did not result in an off-track excursion for any of the parties involved. If another driver does has an off-track excursion as a result of your actions you are still obliged to give up any position gained as a result of said contact.

Also if you pick up a penalty for track limit violations whilst you have a pre-existing contact penalty you only need to serve the track limit penalty in the usual time frame (within the next lap).

Due to a glitch in the game coding contact penalties are in effect until Polyphony Digital decides to turn the penalties off again (even though we turn contact penalties off in the settings).

Any queries please contact a co-ordinator or log it in the stewards panel.
    @BL99DY-NINE @Delaney @GKRT_PinkiiBoii @Hasnain
A reminder of the rules can be found here.

Startlist:

Race Room 1

1. @BL99DY-NINE, BL99DY-NINE; American, 119 ms
  2. @Meg1s, Communist_Minion, Finnish, 51 ms
  3. @Delaney, RoninGT-Delaney, Danish, 36 ms
  4. @GKRT_PinkiiBoii , GKRT_PinkiiBoii, Scottish/Indian, 14 ms
  5. @jutngo, Jutngo, Northern Irish, 29 ms
  6. @Caaalyy, Caaalyy, Dutch, 14ms
  7. @Defiant195, Defiant195, British, 27ms
  8. @Wobbuffet, Ragna_Kagari, British, TBA
  9. @Wedgybo, Wedgybo, Scottish, 10ms
  10. @Jane Trpkov, JT_RACING_14 , Macedonian, 53ms
  11. @Bankai_Bullett, Bankai_Bullett, British, 17ms
  12. @HRacingGreen, HRacingGreen, British
  13. @Manx57, Ronin-Manx, Manx, 58ms
  14. @leedamastr, X_L33TH3R34P3R_X, British, 30ms
  15. @monkeymeg44, Monkeymeg44, British, 17ms
  16. @zJReedy, zJReedy, British, 7ms
Reserves
  1. @Keitaro_919, Keitaro_919, Norwegian, 40ms
  2. @Hasnain, Hasnain282, British - Cannot race this week
  3. @Intotheobscurity, Intotheobscurity (Will not be allowed to start till TT is done)
We will all gather in @Delaney's room before the race for warm-ups (open 6.45-ish). For the race it looks like we will have a full lobby with 16 participants this round.

Resigned:

• @Don01GT, Don01GT, American, 108ms (Will not be allowed to start, till car selection and livery has been announced)
  • @Ashracer2011, Ashracer2011, British, 17ms
Informed no show:
Uninformed no show:
NOTE:

1 uninformed no show will have You awarded 10 penalty points

2 uninformed no show will have You relegated to Reserve and awarded 10 penalty points

3 Uninformed no shows will have You barred from joining future AOR GT SPORT League Races

Preliminary Results
Qualifying
CC#1_Q_RD4.jpg

Feature
CC#1_F_RD4.jpg

Sprint
CC#1_S_RD4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wedgybo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 15, 2020
Alright then folks. What's the target times here. Been a while since I've put in some decent laps round here but after a quick 10 lap session I'm in the high 1.30s low 1.31s How are off am I this week? :D

Reactions: Caaalyy and Delaney

HRacingGreen

S12 AOR PS4 GP2 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
I can't qualify here for ****, need to work out my one lap pace a lot. Did a single 9 lap stint tho, 28.2 on my first full lap out the pits, pushing straight away, drops off to a high 28 on the next lap and then just slowly increased through the 29s for the rest of the stint. Front right tyre is knackered by the end of the stint, this car loves its front end power. Strategy seems simple tho.

Reactions: Delaney

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Someone asked last night, for the elevation change at this track. I found this at Wikipedia:

The racetrack is 2.238 miles (3.602 km) long, with a 180 feet (55 m) elevation change.

Or measured in a very much used danish scale, it's 1,5 time the height of Rundetårn in the center of Old Copenhagen*. Rundetårn (Round Tower for those of You that doesn't read Danish) in one of the best known sights in Copenhagen. It was build as an observatory for King Christian IV and was completed in 1642**. It is most noted for its equestrian staircase, a 7.5-turn helical corridor leading to the platform at the top.
1584976595934.png

* No Copenhagen is not a City in neither Norway nor Sweden.
** That was way before any of @BL99DY-NINE's ancestors thought of moving west and about the first time anybody noted anything, on anybody in my family tree.

NB: Be careful what You ask for! You may get far more, than just a simple answer.

Last edited:

HRacingGreen

S12 AOR PS4 GP2 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
I have an essay I'll be posting later. I have now done a 5 lap stint in every Gr.4 car used (full-time) in this championship, and how they compare here at Laguna Seca.

We all complain about our cars, because we're racing drivers at heart and a key element of being a racing driver is mastering the art of the excuse, and its time to see which is genuinely the best/worst/most understeery pile of toss (for this round at least).

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Sorry I won't be available to race this week
This means that You should probably start preparing for this @zJReedy. I could still use a team mate, should You be given the chance mate. We’re in the Merc SLS

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I have an essay I'll be posting later. I have now done a 5 lap stint in every Gr.4 car used (full-time) in this championship, and how they compare here at Laguna Seca.
That's like 10 cars, that must have been a bit time consuming.
Still I'm sure it'll be a good & interesting read.(y)
We all complain about our cars, because we're racing drivers at heart and a key element of being a racing driver is mastering the art of the excuse, and its time to see which is genuinely the best/worst/most understeery pile of toss (for this round at least).
That's why I generally prefer the one make seasons, as there is no excuses.:LOL:

Last edited:

HRacingGreen

S12 AOR PS4 GP2 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
That's like 10 cars, that must have been a bit time consuming.
Still I'm sure it'll be a good & interesting read.(y)
Well, given the current state of affairs, free time isn't something I'm strapped for at the moment.

HRacingGreen

S12 AOR PS4 GP2 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Alright, time to write this up.

So, like I said, debate will forever rage on about cars being OP or terrible. I wanted to see for myself which car I liked the best at this track, and whether I might go faster in the others than in my Lancer. So I opened a lobby (took 3 separate lobbies thanks to server timeouts while having lunch) with all the league settings saved, and tested each car out. I did 5 flying laps at what I consider typical race pace, which is without revving the engine to death, but generally with a fair amount of commitment. (outlap was paused in auto-drive, I took control just after Rainey Curve each time.) Cars are full of fuel each time, all on Racing Mediums, ABS on default and TC off, of course. Some laps I did make errors on, so if you see a lap where the time is out of whack with the progression of pace, generally you can ignore it.

I tested every car except for the Lancer (though I will include it in the rankings), because I know how that goes, and the Toyota, because I forgot about it until just now. I'll categorise them into 3 tiers; Best, Good and Poor. There aren't any real stinkers, but there are some that are better than others for sure.

Poor: Citroen, Lexus, Jaguar, Viper

These were all similar in pace, mid 28s on the first lap but tailing off to 29s pretty quickly. The Jag felt better than I remember but was generally pretty slow, lacked front end bite, but was easy to keep fairly consistent.
The Lexus was weird, it was easily one of the pointiest cars out of them all, it rotated really well, but just lacked pace. It seems to require weird lines through a lot of the corners that not many other cars need to take. It was the first one I tested so I sensed I wasn't getting 100% out of it, but it wasn't that quick here, and it burned its fuel very fast. It did have decent tyre wear though and sounded great, so there's that.
Then the Citroen, which was horrible for me. So understeery and just not fun to drive. It was good on its tyres and very predictable though, so was easy to be consistent and would likely be alright in the race I'm sure, just not for me.
The Viper was odd because felt really good, in fact I thought I was gonna be purple by miles as I drove it, but it turned out to not be as fast as I expected. Its super safe. Really predictable, really smooth, but just not that fast. There isn't anything wrong with its handling as such, it just doesn't go very fast. Possibly good at some longer tracks where predictability and long-term pace is needed.

Good: Porsche, SLS, Lancer

These were where the pace started to pick up. The Porsche has so much potential, its fantastic in the corners but its gearing makes no sense at all and it lacks the grunt to back up being geared to about 190. It was very soft on its tyres, but despite doing straight 28s on every lap, it was hard to have consistency, it did't feel natural at all. But it is a good car here, but with that straight-line speed, I wouldn't pick it at many other tracks.
The SLS was boss over one lap, i put in a 28.0 which was damn fine. Again, fast, consistent and easier to drive than I expected (reports of understeer were nowhere near realised to the extent I first anticipated). The biggest thing holding it back was the tyre wear, which was pretty much the worst of the bunch. But that was offset by the raw pace just enough, so it sits firmly in this middle category.
The Lancer has lots of potential, potential to be even faster over a single lap than the likes of the Merc and Renault, but it is so hard to be consistent in it that I wouldn't put it top tier. The tyre wear is some of the worst, thanks to that front-biasing 4WD, and that just takes the shine off of its ability to bang in a lap on fresh rubber when it drops off by lap 5. Its similar to the Lexus and Renault, requires fairly unique driving to get the most out of it, with very early turn-in at most corners, but the difference is you can really see and feel the advantage of those lines, which the Lexus doesn't really offer. I will never call it a bad car, its very good indeed, but not a world-beater.

Best: Renault Megane V6, NSX

The Renault is a freak of nature. Requires a little bit of getting used to, hence my slightly weird pace curve, but it is absolutely rapid once you work out that the timing of the downshift is everything with this car. Uses little fuel, good tyre wear, and the pace to sit comfortably in the high 27s and low 28s. World class.
The NSX was one of my absolute favourites of the bunch, its slight lack of single lap pace isn't perfect but is easily offset by how consistent it is. It was easy to drive, predictable. good on tyres and fuel and was just so consistent. I did 4 laps in the low 28s before a trip to the gravel on Lap 5 because I looked out the window. Would highly recommend at this track, it was a joy and I expect the NSX's to pop up at the front this week.

Overall, there was a pace of spread of roughly 6 tenths for fastest laps, and about a second for the slowest laps (counted from legitimate laps without major mistakes). The cars are, mostly, well balanced and it shows by the fact the field spread is in decent shape. Were one of the top 5 drivers to take on the Renault though, I think they'd clean up.

I've attached the screenshots of the lap times so you can see in detail the individual lap times, as well as fuel and tyres.

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from doing this. I learned faster ways to take the Lancer around some of the corners from doing them in other cars, which I really did not expect, so that's nice to see, as well as a few little tips and tricks to squeeze out extra-hundredths here and there.

I hope this was somewhat useful/informative/interesting/faff for you, cheers.

Citroen.jpg F-Type.jpg Lexus.jpg NSX.jpg Porsche.jpg Renault.jpg SLS.jpg Viper.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.