PS4 AOR GTSL S13 - CONSTRUCTORS CHALLENGE #2 - MAIN DISCUSSION

HRacingGreen

2 Time GT Sport League Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Personally, while I have been critical of the Sprint Race grids in the past, I think the discourse around it is getting slightly out of hand.

For me, the system introduced this season is a big improvement on the original reversed Feature format. I think the only issue is the slight oversight on reserves/new drivers getting pole on their first race as we've all made clear.

Obviously, nothing can really change this season. But I think the solution for next season is simple:
•If its your first race as a *full-time* driver, you have to start your first sprint race from last. Once you've done this round, then you get an appropriate starting position.
•If you were previously a reserve and get promoted, you get an appropriate starting position. However, if you were previously a reserve and did not enter a round, you start from the back.
•Any reserves, multiple rounds entered or not, must start any Sprint Races they enter from the back of the grid, no matter where they might be in the championship. (I understand this might be contentious but reserves, objectively, are not full-time drivers. To treat them as such is what leads to these issues).

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Personally, while I have been critical of the Sprint Race grids in the past, I think the discourse around it is getting slightly out of hand.

For me, the system introduced this season is a big improvement on the original reversed Feature format. I think the only issue is the slight oversight on reserves/new drivers getting pole on their first race as we've all made clear.

Obviously, nothing can really change this season. But I think the solution for next season is simple:
•If its your first race as a *full-time* driver, you have to start your first sprint race from last. Once you've done this round, then you get an appropriate starting position.
•If you were previously a reserve and get promoted, you get an appropriate starting position. However, if you were previously a reserve and did not enter a round, you start from the back.
•Any reserves, multiple rounds entered or not, must start any Sprint Races they enter from the back of the grid, no matter where they might be in the championship. (I understand this might be contentious but reserves, objectively, are not full-time drivers. To treat them as such is what leads to these issues).

I think there's only one further thing that should be added to that as just using the example of what happened with SNS, where as a reserve he started round 1 and round 2 before finally getting a full time seat round 3, if we go by what you've suggested above he would've been starting at the back of the sprint for round 2.

So it would surely only be fair in the circumstances that if a reserve happens to race the first round that if they race the next round and so on (without missing a round) that for the time being there championship position is used for the sprint instead of just putting them at the back - as they could still race every round at that point and be a championship contender.

If that reserve driver however after racing the first 2 rounds for example doesn't get to race round 3 but does race round 4. then they would be put to the back of the field for the sprint that round and onwards until they get a full time spot.

For me adding that as well would just make it a fairer balance and compromise, whilst still offering reserve drivers the opportunity to compete for the championship should they race from the first round onwards.

• Agree
Reactions: HRacingGreen

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
USA
ATTENTION:

re: Connection Issues
In addition to our already established guidelines for internet connection quality, we the coordinators are adding the following provisions for round five (27th August, 2020) of the current season (CC#2/ S13) and beyond:
• Drivers who are subject to 'Lag Checks' must have their checks completed 15 minutes prior to event start time. Drivers who are under such scrutiny are advised to be in the lobby at least 30 minutes prior to event start time. Currently these drivers are @Jamie9000000 , @leedamastr & @Wobbuffet
• The Lag Check(s) will be conducted by at least two members of the coordinating team (One via spectator mode, One via on track observation)
• Any observed lag at any point during the check will result in a 'failed' lag check
• After a single failed check, the affected driver will be asked to do a full systems reset (Playstation + Internet Router) and submit to a second Lag Check
• A second failed check will result in a Disqualification for the round in question (Feature + Sprint)
• If any driver, whether they are subject to a Lag Check or not, is observed by a coordinator to be lagging during the 15 minute pre-event time frame, they will be Disqualified from the round in question (Feature & Sprint)
• Any driver observed by a coordinator to be lagging during the Feature race, will be Disqualified from the Sprint race.

Disconnects (DSC) from Qualifying
Since the in-game qualifying mode prevents drivers from re-entering after a DSC, we the coordinators will no longer red flag the session unless there is a mass-disconnect situation as it creates too much delay. This unfortunately means the driver(s) in question will miss out on the feature race. Drivers affected in this manner will be allowed to compete in the sprint race, starting either in their current points position or at the back as determined by how far along in the season we are.

@mallucm you are currently 1st reserve. If you are willing/ able, please join the pre-race voice chat so we can notify you immediately if a spot on the grid opens due to a lag check failure(s).

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Hey everyone,

As you'll be able to see from my username, I have returned to a role in the GTSport coordinator team. I'm really pleased to be taking on the responsibility again and hope I can help in any way possible. So if you have any queries or concerns, I'll be another port of call.

Big thanks to @Delaney @BL99DY-NINE @GKRT_PinkiiBoii and @Hasnain .

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Aarhus
This Thursday in our off week, I'll be arranging some smaller races primarily in the Alfa Romeo TZ2 that has been chosen for the up coming season 14.
  • Tires will be intermidiates, but We don't know the wear rate yet.
  • Fuel will be x5 as a base.
  • We will as usual start with a qualifying (usual/old 10 minutes) followed by a race with fastest first.
  • Rest of the races will be reverse grid of the previous race result.
  • Starts will be our normal standing starts.
  • Races is expected to last 10-12 minutes each with a 5 minute practice in between.
  • Tracks will be chosen on the night - The first one by me, the rest by You
  • I hope, that We can get 4-5 races
  • If You do not have the Alfa yet, You may use the Mazda RX500 or the Alpine A110. Both can be lightened a bit and set for 195 bhp they will be an ok match for the Alfa. Beware about the Alpine though, it is a bit tail and therefore a tricky drive.

Last edited:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
ATTENTION:

In addition to our already established guidelines for internet connection quality, we the coordinators are adding the following provisions for round five (27th August, 2020) of the current season (CC#2/ S13) and beyond:
• Drivers who are subject to 'Lag Checks' must have their checks completed 15 minutes prior to event start time. Drivers who are under such scrutiny are advised to be in the lobby at least 30 minutes prior to event start time. Currently these drivers are @Jamie9000000 , @leedamastr & @Wobbuffet
• The Lag Check(s) will be conducted by at least two members of the coordinating team (One via spectator mode, One via on track observation)
• Any observed lag at any point during the check will result in a 'failed' lag check
• After a single failed check, the affected driver will be asked to do a full systems reset (Playstation + Internet Router) and submit to a second Lag Check
• A second failed check will result in a Disqualification for the round in question (Feature + Sprint)
• If any driver, whether they are subject to a Lag Check or not, is observed by a coordinator to be lagging during the 15 minute pre-event time frame, they will be Disqualified from the round in question (Feature & Sprint)
• Any driver observed by a coordinator to be lagging during the Feature race, will be Disqualified from the Sprint race.
Obviously it would be disappointing if I had to miss out, but I totally understand the new guidelines above.
Anyway I'll just have to see how things go 1 round at a time and hope that I have no more issues this season.

This Thursday in our off week, I'll be arranging some smaller races primarily in the Alfa Romeo TZ2 that has been chosen for the up coming season 14.
  • We will as usual start with a qualifying (usual/old 10 minutes) followed by a race with fastest first.
  • Races is expected to last 10-12 minutes each with a 5 minute practice in between.
  • If You do not have the Alfa yet, You may use the Mazda RX500 or the Alpine A110. Both can be lightened a bit and set for 195 bhp they will be an ok match for the Alfa. Beware about the Alpine though, it is a bit tail and therefore a tricky drive.
I'll probably just drop in and watch, as I don't fancy doing a several hour money grind before tomorrow to buy the car (I'm about 5mil cr short), also I don't see the point to drive a different car against the one we're suppose to be using next season.

Lastly just want to query about Intermediate tyres being used?
Unless the races are all taking place at wet circuits, what logical reason is there to be using them on a dry track - you could just use & try out a different compound of dry tyre instead.

Reactions: Delaney

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Lastly just want to query about Intermediate tyres being used?
Unless the races are all taking place at wet circuits, what logical reason is there to be using them on a dry track - you could just use & try out a different compound of dry tyre instead.

Other compounds have been tested aplenty, and its been found that intermediates offer a unique and still, in our opinion, desirable driving experience. Obviously nothing is final, but we're looking to try something a bit different for the upcoming shorter season.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Other compounds have been tested aplenty, and its been found that intermediates offer a unique and still, in our opinion, desirable driving experience.
That bit stands out to me and has made me curious, what do the co-ords believe is a 'desirable driving experience'?;)

• Funny

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
That bit stands out to me and has made me curious, what do the co-ords believe is a 'desirable driving experience'?;)
Well, it's obviously subjective, but for what you'd expect a 600kg, 165hp car from the 60s to feel like, we reckon these inters feel pretty close. Other compounds are a little too one way or the other in terms of grip and stability. Of course, testing in a race situation will provide the best display of how they perform when it matters. We'll wait and see.

Hasnain

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Inters have more grip than you'd think, though they do wear out pretty quickly in the dry as they are essentially rain tyres on a dry track

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well, it's obviously subjective, but for what you'd expect a 600kg, 165hp car from the 60s to feel like, we reckon these inters feel pretty close. Other compounds are a little too one way or the other in terms of grip and stability. Of course, testing in a race situation will provide the best display of how they perform when it matters. We'll wait and see.
Yeah that gives me a good idea what direction you guys are looking for, I'm just speculating of course but if you went with racing tyres then with those weight and bhp numbers I strongly suspect you would be able to take some corners at full pelt meaning its less of a challenge, whereas on the opposite end of the spectrum comfort tyres wouldn't likely be suitable for this car.

But that's just me guessing without having driven this car and just going off what you've said above - I could be very wide of the mark in my assessment or not far from the truth lol.

leedamastr

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 10, 2015
ATTENTION:

Disconnects (DSC) from Qualifying
Since the in-game qualifying mode prevents drivers from re-entering after a DSC, we the coordinators will no longer red flag the session unless there is a mass-disconnect situation as it creates too much delay. This unfortunately means the driver(s) in question will miss out on the feature race. Drivers affected in this manner will be allowed to compete in the sprint race, starting either in their current points position or at the back as determined by how far along in the season we are.

@mallucm you are currently 1st reserve. If you are willing/ able, please join the pre-race voice chat so we can notify you immediately if a spot on the grid opens due to a lag check failure(s).
Can I just ask what would be classed as a "failed" lag check? Would it be the slightest, one-off twitch that barely moves a few inches or a more aggressive wobble that is more persistent?

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
USA
Can I just ask what would be classed as a "failed" lag check? Would it be the slightest, one-off twitch that barely moves a few inches or a more aggressive wobble that is more persistent?
If said twitch happens at the same point over multiple laps and is agreed upon by 2 or more coords, then it is a failed check.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Denmark
In light of the recent tension connected to recent stewards enquiries in this league, I'd like to remind everyone that the stewards' decision are and will always be final. It is not up for discussion once a case has been closed, and it is not allowed to bring further discussion anywhere else on the forums once a case has been closed. The stewards panel consists of multiple unbiased people who gives their unbiased opinion. If there is any chance that a member of the stewards panel can be biased in any way, he will be excluded from expressing his opinions on the incident.
This ensures that the verdicts are always fair and unbiased. You can disagree with them yourself, but remember that you are biased due to being involved in the incident.

The thing we pride ourselves with is to have a team who can give an unbiased opinion. A verdict can sometimes not be agreed upon by two parties in an incident and this is usually the case because those parties are biased. The stewards panel brings in an outside source consisting of people who have no bias towards the incident or the people involved. Their decision is 99% of the time the correct one. Even if it may be unexpected to you as a driver it has much more validity as it is unbiased.

So please, in the future respect the stewards' decisions and don't bring them up for further discussion. They are final and not up for discussion.

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Aarhus
Remember this is happening tonight. Should We make it a public one?

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
Quick question/thought regarding connections: Is it worth using the in-game connection quality test as well? I'm not sure if @Wobbuffet (or the others) already does that or not when doing his other tests. For example when using it myself, I got the result of 25ms and a connection result of good. All parameters were maxed apart from Parameter 1 where it was just one under.

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
USA
Quick question/thought regarding connections: Is it worth using the in-game connection quality test as well? I'm not sure if @Wobbuffet (or the others) already does that or not when doing his other tests. For example when using it myself, I got the result of 25ms and a connection result of good. All parameters were maxed apart from Parameter 1 where it was just one under.
I do not know for certain, however it seems to me that the state of a driver's connection w/ polyphony's servers would not be relevant to the connection said driver would have with the host of a private lobby. For those of you who have professional experience with network type things, please feel free to prove me wrong.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I do not know for certain, however it seems to me that the state of a driver's connection w/ polyphony's servers would not be relevant to the connection said driver would have with the host of a private lobby.
I would likely agree with your assessment of that Bl99dy, when I do the in game pingtest its just to give me a good idea of how my connection is and as I've said before, if the result says ping in the mid 20's with all 5 parameters as good, then normally I have a trouble free night lag wise.

However there's obviously a big difference between PD server's and that of a private lobby host, as with the lobby host their connection is being used to potentially be the main point of contact & connection for as many as 15 other people.

The funny thing is though over the past couple years while I've been racing here, when I've gone to the lobby section to find and join Delaney's room there were times when I would only see 2 bars (orange), yet surprisingly I rarely seemed to have lag issues despite that and yet on others when I've seen 4 or 5 bars I've had lag after joining.

As I've said I do find it bizarre, and at this point I'm very much of the opinion that sometimes it is a lottery with how are connection behaves with others on nights and it is out of our hands to a degree, but to be fair generally Delaney's connection is normally solid and I'm not sure there is a better option for a different host when you look at his down/up numbers.

I do remember there was a period back in S2 (I think it was) when we had a couple of mid-race mass dsc's and the lobby closing itself, but since then lobby stability is pretty good in general.