PS4 AOR GTSL S14 - Gr.X VINTAGE CUP - Main Discussion

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
USA
S14_MainDisc.jpg

Welcome to Season 14! Use this space to discuss anything you want… within the bounds of taste and community togetherness.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oxford
Out of curiosity, as the rules state, there's only a maximum power and minimum weight, if we wanted to, would we be allowed to adjust the power and weight negatively? Or would that still be illegal?

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I've noticed the qualy format is undecided so far, can I put forward the suggestion of returning to a standard 10 minute session?
As:
1. it'll avoid the regular scenario we had where everyone had done there qualy laps and we had a 2-3 min wait in the pits doing nothing.
&
2. considering the length of the laps will see this season, Sardegna just over 2 mins, Spa at around 3 mins, Le Mans 4mins and Nordscheilfe 8 mins, doing a standard 10 minute timed session we would see a steady decline of max qualy laps as the rounds progress - 4 flying laps R1, 3 flying laps R2, 2 flying laps R3 and finally 1 flying lap R4.

Also its not like the superpole really caused any proper shocks last season and if anything it benefited & suited one driver (HRG) more then anyone else, were he took 6 poles and qualyed on the front row in the other 2, and normally a mix of Hasnain, Stevo & Browneskii were all in the top 5 most rounds.

So if the focus by the co-ords was to have mixed up grids from front to back, then last seasons 'superpole' didn't really work.

HRacingGreen

2 Time GT Sport League Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Also its not like the superpole really caused any proper shocks last season and if anything it benefited & suited one driver (HRG) more then anyone else, were he took 6 poles and qualyed on the front row in the other 2, and normally a mix of Hasnain, Stevo & Browneskii were all in the top 5 most rounds.

I'm surprised this comment didn't arise sooner tbf lol.

I was already on a 5-race pole streak before the Superpole format was introduced, and I think without it I'd have taken pole at the 2 rounds i didn't get it as well. 1-lap pace has always been a strongpoint of mine, no matter the format. The idea of superpole is to stop the backing up and fooling around to get a tow that was starting to creep in with the traditional sessions. With these cars suffering awful straightline speed, and with a calendar full of tracks with enormous straights, this problem would likely only get worse if we were to run normal sessions again.

Out of curiosity, as the rules state, there's only a maximum power and minimum weight, if we wanted to, would we be allowed to adjust the power and weight negatively? Or would that still be illegal?

The answer here is no, I'm afraid. This is a one-make series and that includes all cars to the same specification including making the car worse.

• Agree
Reactions: BL99DY-NINE

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I'm surprised this comment didn't arise sooner tbf lol.

I was already on a 5-race pole streak before the Superpole format was introduced, and I think without it I'd have taken pole at the 2 rounds i didn't get it as well. 1-lap pace has always been a strongpoint of mine, no matter the format.

To be honest I suspected that would've happened you on pole for all 8 if we did normal sessions.

The idea of superpole is to stop the backing up and fooling around to get a tow that was starting to creep in with the traditional sessions. With these cars suffering awful straightline speed, and with a calendar full of tracks with enormous straights, this problem would likely only get worse if we were to run normal sessions again.
I understand that point but there would be one very easy rule the co-ords can implement to prevent that from happening, 'anyone found trying or taking a tow from the driver ahead during qualy gets penalised in the stewards afterwards' ie: qualy ban next round, I think surely that would be a fair & significant enough deterrent to prevent that kind of thing happening would it not?

Anyway all drivers have a track map and if needs be a driver can look back to see if anyone is trying to steal a tow from them and can show & report it, besides with the tracks we're racing at, there so long that it should be pretty easy for everyone to be sensible and have a far bit of space between each other, I don't honestly think its that difficult to do and at least we would have a normal qualifying session back and no more needless waiting afterwards.

The answer here is no, I'm afraid. This is a one-make series and that includes all cars to the same specification including making the car worse.
I laughed at that question by Browneskii, if his car isn't handicapped HRG compared to everyone else then it won't give him the motivation he needs and in turn he'll become an average driver as a result - basically having to race equal cars and not have a disadvantage to everyone else is his kryptonite.;)

• Optimistic
Reactions: HRacingGreen

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
USA
ATTENTION:

The League Information thread has been updated with clarifications on grid order selection proceedures and some changes to the Sprint race format for rounds 1 & 2.

Browneskiii

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oxford
I laughed at that question by Browneskii, if his car isn't handicapped HRG compared to everyone else then it won't give him the motivation he needs and in turn he'll become an average driver as a result - basically having to race equal cars and not have a disadvantage to everyone else is his kryptonite.;)
I'm sure you know, but my plan was to be able to run say 1% less power for that sweet fuel consumption or a bit more weight for extra stability if needed. Not enough to be noticed in lap time, just enough to give me that ever so small edge in the pits.

• Clever
Reactions: Wobbuffet

GKRT_PinkiiBoii

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
Scotland
I'm guessing my fellow co-ords had me in mind when this was added :ROFLMAO:
Sponsors should be from the same era as well (fx. Monster Energy wasn’t a thing until the late ‘90’s, But Hansen’s Natural Juices has been around since 1935)
Fun Fact: Hansen's and Monster are the same company. (Monster was Hansen's line of energy drinks in the late 90's/early 2000s and the company was rebranded in 2012.)

• Informative

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Just an fyi to those interested, I'll get on with updating the stats sheet in a couple days I'm just waiting for any potential NR stewards threads to be done and the S13 standing to be officially finalized, then I'll get to work.
Also looks like a certain someone has given me a little bit of extra work by changing there username here *cough* *cough* Meg1s, thanks for that.:p

Anyway had a look at the team livery thread there's some very nice looking liveries so far, (also forgot to award my unofficial best livery award last season, and just looking through the lot again and I would've give it to BEMMS) but speaking about teams looks like theres going to be a few driver/team changes for this season as HRG's Invicta have gone back to their roots but lost Bankai (unless he makes a dramatic & unexpected 2nd U-turn in as many seasons), Jack has brought back GKRT but has in a way affiliated with BEMMS by becoming a 2nd sponsor for them, and we have KaBallin returning with his team.

So bearing this in mind, all I know is its a sellers market for the unattached drivers currently signed up - Jamie, Wedgy & new driver Wisok, who will be have the advantage in any potential contract negotiations with teams - if I was a driver agent for them I would be demanding that my clients get paid the equivalent of 'all the tea in china'!

How does that sound fellas?:LOL:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I had a light bulb moment earlier today and so I've got a suggestion co-ords that in theory that will not only make this season very smooth off the track, make life a lot easier for the co-ords + drivers but also tie everything up nicely.

Ok firstly I've seen what has been planned for all the rounds and honestly I have no arguments/problems with the plans for round 3 & 4 and believe that is the best way to proceed with those rounds, however I believe its that good that I think the co-ords should seriously consider changing the 2 races planned for rounds 1 & 2 to a 1 hour race like rounds 3 & 4.

It would be very simple to make that change, all you would have to do is add & combine the currently stated feature & sprint race lap distances and that's yours 1 hour race distance automatically done.

Now I'm sure the co-ords are asking 'ok then what do you do with qualifying/grid for rounds 1 & 2 in this new scenario you've come up with?'

Well with round 2 simply use reverse championship order to determine the grid - basically using the same procedure as stated for rounds 3 & 4.
However with round 1 I would do no qualifying on the night but (and this is where I think I come up with the best part and its quite frankly a genius concept) the way to decide the grid order for the first round - use the TT.:cool:

Seriously think about it everyone, the TT is being done at Sardegna A which is also the first round of the season, so what better way to make full use of this TT by using it not only as the standard potential tier placement, but also as a Indy 500 style qualifying method for the first round, (as with upto 6 attempts to set a time over the course of this TT it does remind me of a Indy 500 qualy) so doing this would actually make this TT not just unique for the first time ever but give it proper significance for a change by using it like I'm suggesting.

The other major positives I see for the co-ords and everyone by making these changes to 1 hour races for all 4 rounds, there'll be no furore over drivers potentially abusing the reverse sprint race grid & also the points system would become a hell of a lot simpler to devise with just 1 race per round.

And just to go into a points system for this season if the co-ords were to make the change to 1 hour races for all 4 rounds, I would suggest: 35, 30, 26, 22, 19, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - this would better reward the drivers who finish in the midfield in these races, as simply awarding a 1 higher point per position increase from 4th - 15th in a 1 hour race wouldn't be fair or balanced at all in my opinion.

Anyway with everything I've put forward above, it ties, fits & connects everything together for this season beautifully with a big bow on top I believe.

• Funny
Reactions: Delaney

Browneskiii

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oxford
I've noticed that for the last 4 seasons minimum, drivers that have won feature races have had one thing in common, they were all A+ ranked. So I've done what I could never be bothered to do with this account and get myself there.

It's about time really, I'm now allowed to win feature races.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-153418~2.png
    Screenshot_20200922-153418~2.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 10

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
I've noticed that for the last 4 seasons minimum, drivers that have won feature races have had one thing in common, they were all A+ ranked. So I've done what I could never be bothered to do with this account and get myself there.

This is true. When I sweated out to get A+, I immediately started winning lol. Like the week after (except for in ILC, I was winning Feature Races in that for weeks before I hit A+).

I mean its pure coincidence, the ACTUAL reason I started winning was I learned how to strategise and manage races.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Just want to ask @Delaney what you found funny about my post with the suggestion I put, if you were laughing at the bit about the bow on top for example that's fair enough but if you were laughing at the actual idea/suggestion I put forward then I'd like to know why?

As in general its logically sound, sensible & would make things a lot simpler this season for everyone involved doing just 1 race per round, instead of the currently planned 2,2,1,1 format that as I pointed out will need a convoluted points system (just to be fair & balanced for that format) and bring back the arguments over abuse of reverse grid sprint races.

Moving on...

I never had you down as the superstitious type Browneskii lol.

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Just want to ask @Delaney what you found funny about my post with the suggestion I put, if you were laughing at the bit about the bow on top for example that's fair enough but if you were laughing at the actual idea/suggestion I put forward then I'd like to know why?

As in general its logically sound, sensible & would make things a lot simpler this season for everyone involved doing just 1 race per round, instead of the currently planned 2,2,1,1 format that as I pointed out will need a convoluted points system (just to be fair & balanced for that format) and bring back the arguments over abuse of reverse grid sprint races.

I don't know the reason for Delaney's rating of course, but for this season we were looking to add something different for the final two races at "Special" tracks, and part of that was making them a long race. The initial 2 rounds are at everyday sorts of circuits, hence the regular format. Also, even though there are only 2 of them coming up, the Sprint Races are an important part of the balance across a season. They offer some different drivers a chance to fight and compete at the front for better rewards, and forces the top guys to step up their game, I think if we have 4 "Feature Races" we may well see the same rotation of 3 or 4 drivers at the front with no surprises at all.

As for Sprint Race abuse, I have some ideas in mind for *some* ways in which to stop it, but even then its only for the first 2 rounds that we have that system in place. We will, however, of course discuss some potential alternatives if there is concern about this issue arising again.

The Points System hopefully won't be too convoluted, and will officially be released soon so that everyone understands it well in advance.

• Informative

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Aarhus

Moving on...

I never had you down as the superstitious type Browneskii lol.
It's definitely not Your suggestion, which is sound and well presented AND kinda short. But I completely agree with Harry.

No it was more like "Here We go again" just as usual. I wouldn't expect anything else from You.

And of cause that bow on top was brilliant.

So no bad intensions or anything

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I don't know the reason for Delaney's rating of course, but for this season we were looking to add something different for the final two races at "Special" tracks, and part of that was making them a long race. The initial 2 rounds are at everyday sorts of circuits, hence the regular format. Also, even though there are only 2 of them coming up, the Sprint Races are an important part of the balance across a season. They offer some different drivers a chance to fight and compete at the front for better rewards, and forces the top guys to step up their game, I think if we have 4 "Feature Races" we may well see the same rotation of 3 or 4 drivers at the front with no surprises at all.

As for Sprint Race abuse, I have some ideas in mind for *some* ways in which to stop it, but even then its only for the first 2 rounds that we have that system in place. We will, however, of course discuss some potential alternatives if there is concern about this issue arising again.

The Points System hopefully won't be too convoluted, and will officially be released soon so that everyone understands it well in advance.
Ok that's fair enough and I do understand the reasons behind the format behind this season, as for the potential of sprint race abuse I think your sort of caught in between a rock and a hard place with it as it only for the first 2 rounds, obviously you want to give other drivers the chance to fight at the front but equally you can't make it a select few as ie: dsc or genuine bad race for a fast driver then they should still have the right to start where a reverse grid would put them.

And just moving on to the points system I think with this format it'll be extremely hard to find a fair balance, as theres 3 basic arguments/viewpoint anyone could make for it:
1. total points awarded should be worth exactly the same between 2 races & the 1 race per round.
2. the 2 races in a round should be worth more then the one race rounds, as its unlikely someone will win the feature then come through to win the sprint.
3. the 1 race in a round should be worth more then the 2 races as its billed as a special hour race.

So that's how I see it and if I were to look into creating a points system based on viewpoint 1 and using the principle of 50% higher points for the 1 race rounds (as stated on the calendar) then it would have to be along the lines of this (based on full room 16):
Feature: 50, 42, 36, 30, 26, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2
Sprint: 25, 21, 18, 15, 13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
One Hour race: 75, 63, 54, 45, 39, 33, 30, 27, 24, 21, 18, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3

Now I'm sure so many points and big points gaps for the feature & one hour race may be potentially concerning to the co-ords, since they may want the focus to be on trying to keep the championship as tight as possible heading into the final round.

But it your going to do 50% more points for the 1 hour race then the minimum amount of points you would have to award 16th has to 3 points and an increase of 3 points per higher position, so to ensure when you do the points for the 2 race rounds that you can create a points gap between drivers in the sprint race so that you can adhere to the 50% higher points for the 1 race rounds.
Anyway that points system above is based on creating no points disparity between the 2 races rounds and 1 race rounds and do offer the chance of equal reward and balance.

If your looking at focusing more towards viewpoint 2 or 3 co-ords, then I think you can only make minor changes to above to still try and maintain some balance & keeping things fair, ie: instead of 75 points on offer for winning both feature & sprint or the 1 hour race - make it 70pts max for the feature & sprint but 75pts max for the 1 hour race or do vice versa, and that's how I see it being able to work in those 2 scenarios.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Good news, everyone! (Futurama image/GIF/quote search) | Freakin' Awesome  Network Forums

I have just added and updated the stats page following last season, please feel free to have a look via the link below:

(If anybody thinks something is out of place or wrong just leave a message & I'll look into it.)

Obviously there were a few noticeable changes following S13, major ones being HRG now is a 2 time champion and subsection seasonal records, though 1 long standing record that has been broken (and was actually broken after S12 - my bad for not checking this stat) is that Delaney has taken the most consecutive starts record from Bl99dy, currently on a mammoth 72 starts and still going.

(and just to sign off this post in the style of Futurama, I choose this - as its true)