PS4 AOR GTSL S14 - Gr.X VINTAGE CUP - Main Discussion

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
The calendar has corrected, Round 4 will take place on 29th Oct.
View attachment 121738
Well seeing as the break week has disappeared (which makes sense to be fair), guess that means 'Jack Wins' will have to be moved to a later date.;)

Though I think 2 weeks after the end of this season (November 12th) could be the date to hold it, also give me a bit time to create some solid plans for things like track & cars combo possibilities, Jack I'll probably PM you about this in a few days once I've done that as I think you should get a big say in this since this is a night in your honour basically.

Moving on to future league matters though we know Xmas cup is up next and I imagine theres already plans in the works for it (I think I remember Bl99dy mentioning a while it was going to be a 5 round affair this time), but I was looking at the calendar in December and 2 of the Thursday's in that month are on the 24th & 31st, which ain't exactly socially good to run on, 24th will surely have to be a non-starter as for some people around the world 24th is treated like xmas day, also I'm not sure how many would be free to race on xmas eve anyway.

Then you have the 31st which is new years eve, normally for me thats a night I would either go out and celebrate but considering the state of things with covid currently and the likelihood we're all going to be stuck indoors anyway there might be enough people who would want to see the new year in by league racing lol.

Finally something that I've banging the drum about in the past and will continue to do, I'd still like to put forward the idea of a Rally/Oval combo round in the xmas cup as that's 2 racing disciplines that our league still hasn't done a single official league race off, so it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

How I think it could be done both races would be split down the middle on the night so two 30 minute races, with the Rally tracks I don't believe there is a pitlane on any of the 3, so there would be no fuel or tyre wear also if you wanted qualy you would have to have a regular session (as I remember cars being parked on the track when your not driving).

As for a potential Oval race there can be only one real track candidate and that's Blue Moon Bay Oval, as much as I would love the uncertainly and randomness of Route X 30 minutes would be too long there, Northern Isle Speedway I think people would get dizzy by the end considering its a half mile oval, so the only option has to be BMB Oval and by extension you the co-ords would have to decide how you would want the oval race to be like, there again 2 choices either go with a car and tyre combo that makes T1 & T3 both full braking corners or focus it more towards keeping the field spread as tight as possible, ie pack racing.

Reactions: Delaney

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
USA
but I was looking at the calendar in December and 2 of the Thursday's in that month are on the 24th & 31st, which ain't exactly socially good to run on, 24th will surely have to be a non-starter as for some people around the world 24th is treated like xmas day, also I'm not sure how many would be free to race on xmas eve anyway.

Xmas Cup 2020 will run from 19th Nov to 17th Dec, then a two week break which will encompass Xmas & New Years. Constructors Challenge 3 will, depending on everyone's schedules, begin on 7th Jan or 14th Jan.

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Aarhus
Well seeing as the break week has disappeared (which makes sense to be fair), guess that means 'Jack Wins' will have to be moved to a later date.;)

Though I think 2 weeks after the end of this season (November 12th) could be the date to hold it, also give me a bit time to create some solid plans for things like track & cars combo possibilities, Jack I'll probably PM you about this in a few days once I've done that as I think you should get a big say in this since this is a night in your honour basically.

Moving on to future league matters though we know Xmas cup is up next and I imagine theres already plans in the works for it (I think I remember Bl99dy mentioning a while it was going to be a 5 round affair this time), but I was looking at the calendar in December and 2 of the Thursday's in that month are on the 24th & 31st, which ain't exactly socially good to run on, 24th will surely have to be a non-starter as for some people around the world 24th is treated like xmas day, also I'm not sure how many would be free to race on xmas eve anyway.

Then you have the 31st which is new years eve, normally for me thats a night I would either go out and celebrate but considering the state of things with covid currently and the likelihood we're all going to be stuck indoors anyway there might be enough people who would want to see the new year in by league racing lol.

Finally something that I've banging the drum about in the past and will continue to do, I'd still like to put forward the idea of a Rally/Oval combo round in the xmas cup as that's 2 racing disciplines that our league still hasn't done a single official league race off, so it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

How I think it could be done both races would be split down the middle on the night so two 30 minute races, with the Rally tracks I don't believe there is a pitlane on any of the 3, so there would be no fuel or tyre wear also if you wanted qualy you would have to have a regular session (as I remember cars being parked on the track when your not driving).

As for a potential Oval race there can be only one real track candidate and that's Blue Moon Bay Oval, as much as I would love the uncertainly and randomness of Route X 30 minutes would be too long there, Northern Isle Speedway I think people would get dizzy by the end considering its a half mile oval, so the only option has to be BMB Oval and by extension you the co-ords would have to decide how you would want the oval race to be like, there again 2 choices either go with a car and tyre combo that makes T1 & T3 both full braking corners or focus it more towards keeping the field spread as tight as possible, ie pack racing.
Ok so You got some interesting suggestions here Wobbie’s. But at this point We’ve more or less settled this up coming season. If You want to have any chance of getting more or less anything in that You may suggest, You have to think way further forward. Right now We are just working on the smaller details of the Xmas Cup and then We’ll basically have to start looking at CC3. So if anyone have suggestions for CC3, now is the time to air them. Beside CC3 We have not looked at what to do for the rest of the winter/spring or looked at the calendar for that matter, which is basically where it all start. But generally expect us to be alternating between CC’s and some “random” series.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oxford
Ok so You got some interesting suggestions here Wobbie’s. But at this point We’ve more or less settled this up coming season. If You want to have any chance of getting more or less anything in that You may suggest, You have to think way further forward. Right now We are just working on the smaller details of the Xmas Cup and then We’ll basically have to start looking at CC3. So if anyone have suggestions for CC3, now is the time to air them. Beside CC3 We have not looked at what to do for the rest of the winter/spring or looked at the calendar for that matter, which is basically where it all start. But generally expect us to be alternating between CC’s and some “random” series.
I do have a few suggestions for the points systems and potential loopholes that there are in the CC.

I'll get more into it after this season, but basically the sprint race starting positions should take into account a drop week (so the first two rounds should effectively be reverse grid) and that if you're not present for a race, then you shouldnt have that as a drop week.

For example, a top driver could just not show up week 1, get a couple of easy sprint wins as they'll start at the front and then at the end of the season get that week 1 as their drop week. They start ahead of their rivals at all races and take advantage of the sprint points relatively being the same as features. I don't believe anyone would do it, but there's potential to.

There were also 3 or 4 occasions last season where I started ahead of Stevo in the sprint, despite after a drop week being ahead of him, which was completely unfair.

Hasnain

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Do we know how the lobbies are gonna work with the PS5? It'll still be the same game but will they allow people on separate consoles into the same lobbies and if not which would the league prioritise? I assume you'd go with the majority but just thought I'd ask.

On that note, how many are getting PS5 on release? I won't be but anyone else pre-ordered it?

HRacingGreen

2 Time GT Sport League Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
Yep, there's no new Battlefield or GT7 on release for PS5, so I'm not going to get one straight away. I can play everything I want on the PS4 just fine for the time being.

I imagine I'll grab one around Spring time, GT7 or not, ready for the Summer/Fall releases.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oxford
As for the consoles being played together, surely as it's just backwards compatible, it'll be effectively playing a faster ps4? So the console will think it's a PS4 and will be able to play with each other. The ps5 will load much quicker so there will probably be more waiting around for the PS4 guys but I'm 99% sure both will be able to play with each other.

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
As for the consoles being played together, surely as it's just backwards compatible, it'll be effectively playing a faster ps4? So the console will think it's a PS4 and will be able to play with each other. The ps5 will load much quicker so there will probably be more waiting around for the PS4 guys but I'm 99% sure both will be able to play with each other.

Yes, parties are going to be cross-gen and lots of games have confirmed cross-gen gaming as well. So its likely we will all still be able to play with one another on different consoles, providing PD don't pull a classic and not allow it.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Xmas Cup 2020 will run from 19th Nov to 17th Dec, then a two week break which will encompass Xmas & New Years. Constructors Challenge 3 will, depending on everyone's schedules, begin on 7th Jan or 14th Jan.

So that's a definite 5 round series then for the xmas cup (assuming no break weeks), I will say though Delaney I had put forward the idea of the Rally/Oval round before, I can't remember what thread it was but I think it was before/during CC2, when I put forward the idea of a several one make rounds season or something like that including the Rally/Oval round.

Anyway with the xmas cup well I'd like to think you guys have come up with something new for it, I understood why the previous xmas cups were 4 rounds and comprising of a Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.2 & Gr.1 round and then there was a variation between xmas cup 1 & 2, but I hope theres a new direction been chosen for car classes for this xmas cup.

As for CC3, my thoughts are well after 2 seasons of the gr.3 & gr.4 combo and the last BoP update which happened what seems a lifetime ago, I don't think sticking to the combo of gr.3 & gr.4 again should really be an option, gr.4 still has the issue where there still unbalanced with the FF cars still unquestionably faster then the rest, gr.4 daily leaderboards regularly still dominated by Peugeot RCZ or Audi TT. (the only exception being when its gr.4 at Monza then the Veyron appears:LOL:)
Theres no real unbalance issue with gr.3 I would say at the moment but I wouldn't want a whole 8 rounds driving gr.3 cars as its nothing new and pretty generic.

But where does that leaves us then, well if we're going to be bold we could try a gr.1 & gr.2 combo for CC3 but I think something like that would be very hard to do as naturally the idea of CC is you can only pick 1 constructor but Lexus and Honda don't have a gr.1 car so that would leave everyone with just 1 choice lol.

So an idea I've just thought of and something that is doable and sensible is a Gr.2 only CC3 and based on assuming its 8 rounds like normal - do a 4/4 split with half being the 2016 gr.2 cars and the other half 2008 gr.2 cars and at least there's 3 constructors to choose from so there is a few options at least.

Though if you wanted to look into a gr.1 only another potential avenue you could look into is - hybrid's rounds, pre-hybrids rounds and group C rounds (you could also add VGT's to that mix but I doubt BoP has created a fair balance between them), with those 3 Gr.1 sub categories spread amongst Audi, Jaguar, Mazda, Mercedes, Nissan, Peugeot, Porsche & Toyota, a few of those constructors have just the one group C car, some have 2 of those 3 categories but none have all 3, so you would have to look into mixing and matching and creating constructor pairings, not ideal I know but probably the only realistic option if you were look further into a gr.1 CC.

But if gr.2 or gr.1 isn't what your looking for either co-ords, then the only other realistic choice is looking into the N-class cars, but that would like trying to navigate a blind man through minefield - as you would need to make sure BoP is balanced between all those cars, and failing that these are what I would call my jokey final alternatives:
(same car for all, we just create are own constructors with the colour variation F1 car)
or this:
(we make CC3 all about safety cars - there are 6 of them in total)
:ROFLMAO:

Anyways that my thoughts and ideas on CC3, if I had a preference I would go Gr.2 with the 2016 & 2008 combo
as I haven't touched Super GT cars in a long time and I honestly can't remember the last time I drove one in anger, but if we're going to do something different for CC3 (which would freshen it up) then doing a Gr.2 combo of using the 2008 & 2016 cars would be the easiest and simplest choice to look into (besides Gr.2 hasn't been seen since S7), I know there would be question marks over whether it would get the numbers (as the numbers was low which you likely remember Delaney, Bloody & Jack) but I think the main reason why S7 didn't see much interest was that it was 90 minute races back then, which was definitely a major reason why I gave it miss and didn't make my return that season.

Heinehegn

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 13, 2020
Denmark
i like the ideas...
one mark N400 or N300
Gr.4 with sport tires could be a choise too
... but all a little slow ;-)

HRacingGreen

Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
So that's a definite 5 round series then for the xmas cup (assuming no break weeks), I will say though Delaney I had put forward the idea of the Rally/Oval round before, I can't remember what thread it was but I think it was before/during CC2, when I put forward the idea of a several one make rounds season or something like that including the Rally/Oval round.

Anyway with the xmas cup well I'd like to think you guys have come up with something new for it, I understood why the previous xmas cups were 4 rounds and comprising of a Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.2 & Gr.1 round and then there was a variation between xmas cup 1 & 2, but I hope theres a new direction been chosen for car classes for this xmas cup.

As for CC3, my thoughts are well after 2 seasons of the gr.3 & gr.4 combo and the last BoP update which happened what seems a lifetime ago, I don't think sticking to the combo of gr.3 & gr.4 again should really be an option, gr.4 still has the issue where there still unbalanced with the FF cars still unquestionably faster then the rest, gr.4 daily leaderboards regularly still dominated by Peugeot RCZ or Audi TT. (the only exception being when its gr.4 at Monza then the Veyron appears:LOL:)
Theres no real unbalance issue with gr.3 I would say at the moment but I wouldn't want a whole 8 rounds driving gr.3 cars as its nothing new and pretty generic.

But where does that leaves us then, well if we're going to be bold we could try a gr.1 & gr.2 combo for CC3 but I think something like that would be very hard to do as naturally the idea of CC is you can only pick 1 constructor but Lexus and Honda don't have a gr.1 car so that would leave everyone with just 1 choice lol.

So an idea I've just thought of and something that is doable and sensible is a Gr.2 only CC3 and based on assuming its 8 rounds like normal - do a 4/4 split with half being the 2016 gr.2 cars and the other half 2008 gr.2 cars and at least there's 3 constructors to choose from so there is a few options at least.

Though if you wanted to look into a gr.1 only another potential avenue you could look into is - hybrid's rounds, pre-hybrids rounds and group C rounds (you could also add VGT's to that mix but I doubt BoP has created a fair balance between them), with those 3 Gr.1 sub categories spread amongst Audi, Jaguar, Mazda, Mercedes, Nissan, Peugeot, Porsche & Toyota, a few of those constructors have just the one group C car, some have 2 of those 3 categories but none have all 3, so you would have to look into mixing and matching and creating constructor pairings, not ideal I know but probably the only realistic option if you were look further into a gr.1 CC.

But if gr.2 or gr.1 isn't what your looking for either co-ords, then the only other realistic choice is looking into the N-class cars, but that would like trying to navigate a blind man through minefield - as you would need to make sure BoP is balanced between all those cars, and failing that these are what I would call my jokey final alternatives:
(same car for all, we just create are own constructors with the colour variation F1 car)
or this:
(we make CC3 all about safety cars - there are 6 of them in total)
:ROFLMAO:

Anyways that my thoughts and ideas on CC3, if I had a preference I would go Gr.2 with the 2016 & 2008 combo
as I haven't touched Super GT cars in a long time and I honestly can't remember the last time I drove one in anger, but if we're going to do something different for CC3 (which would freshen it up) then doing a Gr.2 combo of using the 2008 & 2016 cars would be the easiest and simplest choice to look into (besides Gr.2 hasn't been seen since S7), I know there would be question marks over whether it would get the numbers (as the numbers was low which you likely remember Delaney, Bloody & Jack) but I think the main reason why S7 didn't see much interest was that it was 90 minute races back then, which was definitely a major reason why I gave it miss and didn't make my return that season.

There are certainly some interesting ideas there, I think many of them are rather gimmicky for a full-length season.

At the moment, Constructor's Challenge in the GT3s and 4s seems like a popular format that gained a great deal of quality drivers last season and seems to have wide appeal when I've spoken about it to other drivers outside the league.

The coordinators feel its doing a good job of building up a bit of speed despite the age of the game and GT7 on the horizon, and lays great groundwork for that upcoming game.

We'll take a look at some of these ideas but for now we're quite set on the format we've used for CC#1 and #2 remaining for the next instalment.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
There are certainly some interesting ideas there, I think many of them are rather gimmicky for a full-length season.

At the moment, Constructor's Challenge in the GT3s and 4s seems like a popular format that gained a great deal of quality drivers last season and seems to have wide appeal when I've spoken about it to other drivers outside the league.

The coordinators feel its doing a good job of building up a bit of speed despite the age of the game and GT7 on the horizon, and lays great groundwork for that upcoming game.

We'll take a look at some of these ideas but for now we're quite set on the format we've used for CC#1 and #2 remaining for the next instalment.
Yeah I understand why you think many of them are gimmicky, but its only because of a lack of alternatives that I did find myself scrapping the barrel towards the end lol.

I genuinely believe the idea of alternating between the older and newer Gr.2 cars is the most sensible alternative option and has legs to it, with sticking to gr.3 & gr.4 as I said gr.3 at the moment is balanced and fair in general, but the big issue is gr.4 currently, not just the BoP disparity between FF cars and the rest, but also the massive difference you get in starts between those cars.

I mean we joked and laughed about it during CC2, but it's pretty wrong that a driver can lose 2, 3 or even more places before they reach T1 and they haven't done anything wrong, its why I'm currently against Gr.4 without a BoP update or car re-balancing of some kind in the near future.

Just 2 further ideas what about a potential Gr.2 & Gr.3 combo or Gr.3 and road car combo?
I know both would require a change to the CC, like in a Gr.2 & Gr.3 season people would have to select a constructor in each, while in a Gr.3 & N-class road car combo a few of the constructors would likely be ruled out due to a lack of road cars.

But theres still what well over 2 months before a potential CC3 will start, so plenty of time to at least look into these alternatives.