GT Sport AOR GTSL S18 CC#4 - Rd.1 | CIRCUIT DE SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS | GR.3 | 06/05/21

Wedgybo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Pre-Race Questions:

1. AOR GTSL is back with a bang for Season 18, Constructor's Challenge #4. Many drivers are familiar with the format, but with a few new faces and some emboldened car selections, what do you foresee this season holding for you? What are your goals?
After a disappointing CC3, I'll be happy to be mixing it midfield again. So the goal has to be getting best of the rest a couple of times. Podiums are unlikely but would be a nice surprise.
2. Round 1 brings us to an all-time classic at Spa, with the season opening with a GT3 double-header and seeing an end to the previous alternating calendar format. What are your thoughts on this season's calendar? Are you a fan of the circuit choices and the composition?
I'm enjoying the list of tracks. Gutted I'm not going to be about for the first race (Seriously tempted to take the PS4 with me for shits and giggles but I've no idea what the internet will be like in the highlands where I'm going) Loving having an endurance race back on the calendar even though they're not my strongest.
3. The real-life motorsport seasons are well underway now, which disciplines are your favourite? Do you watch any other sport outside of motorsport?
Mainly F1 and WEC. I try and keep up with FE and the new Extreme E. Don't watch much outside of motorsport except the usual big national football/rugby games. Play a **** load of 5s though if that counts!
4. Predict the Feature Race polesitter, winner and FL taker.
Pole: @HRacingGreen
Winner: @HRacingGreen
FL: @Browneskiii

Jamie9000000

Formula 4 2nd Driver
1. AOR GTSL is back with a bang for Season 18, Constructor's Challenge #4. Many drivers are familiar with the format, but with a few new faces and some emboldened car selections, what do you foresee this season holding for you? What are your goals?
I really need to have a good season this time out, my driving has been horrendous lately.

Going to be the usual top 10 aim, just gotta try and not bottle it.
2. Round 1 brings us to an all-time classic at Spa, with the season opening with a GT3 double-header and seeing an end to the previous alternating calendar format. What are your thoughts on this season's calendar? Are you a fan of the circuit choices and the composition?
I do like Spa to be honest, even if I am slow in that 2nd sector. I'm not sure what to make of the calender currently. None of the tracks I'm awfully strong at (ESPECIALLY Bathurst)

I guess I'm looking forward to Lemons, since that's where I took my first (and only) feature race win. Never done an hour timed race though.
3. The real-life motorsport seasons are well underway now, which disciplines are your favourite? Do you watch any other sports outside of motorsport?
I've always been an F1 guy, but I have also watched F2, Formula E and British Touring Cars.

I don't really watch any other sports outside of Motorsport, maybe Football and Rugby (Far better ;) )when the World Cup is on.
@HRacingGreen
@HRacingGreen
@HRacingGreen

;)

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
These are both games, they aren't sports ;)
1620082170958.png

Its not even the sound tbh, or really the amount of action. Its just soooooo gimmicky. Action in a series like that feels cheap as hell. The attack mode nonsense and the fiasco at Valencia with the contrived rule taking energy away from drivers turns me off so much. Not to mention the circuits; horrible mickey mouse tracks that are too narrow and full of 20mph chicanes. Then the first time they go to a proper track at Valencia, THEY PUT A GODDAMN TEMPORARY 20MPH CHICANE IN. I think it should just take itself more seriously. Start going to real tracks, drop the spaceship looking cars. It tried to be like a video game but obviously it isn't a game, its still bound by the laws of physics and real-life sensibilities.
I know its seems farcical that they added a temporary chicane at Valencia but it was done to not just help regenerate power in the FE cars but ensure the laps were longer, plus with the taking energy away rule after SC/FCY - well it was the first time that had ever happened but ultimately the teams & drivers in general were to blame for that finish as it was those who didn't do enough energy management throughout the race that deservedly ran out of energy at the end, those that did prepare for that eventuality got the reward they deserved (like the Merc guys and Muller) you don't have to like it but energy management is the fundamental basis behind the FE races it's just not about flat out racing. (besides thats surely what F1's forte is suppose to be)

Though with attack mode I don't mind that part as that gives the teams & drivers a extra strategy element to a degree, however I would get rid of Fanboost as generally the same drivers seem to keep getting it every race anyway which is unfair on the drivers who don't have many fans, I just don't get why does a drivers fan base merit a reward on track.

Lastly with FE going to more real tracks, the current Gen2 car is simply not really designed for racing at proper tracks not in context of the car itself like the aero, chassis/suspension etc but more because of the electric motor and battery, if they tried racing the F1 version of Monaco for example then I would suspect that the cars battery wouldn't be able to last the full time/race distance. (hence why they race a shorter version)

The thing is the series itself has come along way with regards to the electric motor & battery they use, if you've seen FE on the odd occasion in the past few years then you would likely know that for the first 4 seasons they needed 2 cars per driver with the drivers having to swap to a 2nd car midrace so they could finish the race, so the current Gen2 is a massive jump & improvement in that regard though with what I've read about the Gen3 car planned for end of next year (thats the 2022/23 season) it should see another big jump in the electric motor and battery, and if the battery & regen effect is sufficient enough in the new car, then you might get your wish HRG of FE racing at more proper tracks in the future but only time will tell.

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
I know its seems farcical that they added a temporary chicane at Valencia but it was done to not just help regenerate power in the FE cars but ensure the laps were longer
That is a flaw to me. If you have to change circuit layouts because the cars aren't designed properly, they should sort the cars out, or go slower. F1 has tracks where they struggle with regen, but they don't change the layout for that. Same with longer laptimes, they haven't put a chicane in at Austria now that F1 is nudging a minute round there. Laps are as long as they are for any given class. I just don't understand the thinking. To me, almost every decision they make is either contrived or for the sake of it.
plus with the taking energy away rule after SC/FCY - well it was the first time that had ever happened but ultimately the teams & drivers in general were to blame for that finish as it was those who didn't do enough energy management throughout the race that deservedly ran out of energy at the end, those that did prepare for that eventuality got the reward they deserved (like the Merc guys and Muller) you don't have to like it but energy management is the fundamental basis behind the FE races it's just not about flat out racing. (besides thats surely what F1's forte is suppose to be)

Surely under SC they should have been able to save energy? That's part of the strategy isn't it? For the organisers to then force them back into that energy conservation tactic is, as I say, so contrived and antithetical to how pretty much every motorsport goes. They just seem to have a singular idea of what they want the series to be and will hammer it in any which way it fits.

however I would get rid of Fanboost as generally the same drivers seem to keep getting it every race anyway which is unfair on the drivers who don't have many fans, I just don't get why does a drivers fan base merit a reward on track.

Yeah I dislike Attack Mode but crikey Fanboost is a pisstake indeed.

Lastly with FE going to more real tracks, the current Gen2 car is simply not really designed for racing at proper tracks not in context of the car itself like the aero, chassis/suspension etc but more because of the electric motor and battery, if they tried racing the F1 version of Monaco for example then I would suspect that the cars battery wouldn't be able to last the full time/race distance. (hence why they race a shorter version)

I think this year (or is it next when they go to Gen3) they're doing the full track, only with the old Sainte Devote right up against the inside wall. So that should be interesting.

The thing is the series itself has come along way with regards to the electric motor & battery they use, if you've seen FE on the odd occasion in the past few years then you would likely know that for the first 4 seasons they needed 2 cars per driver with the drivers having to swap to a 2nd car midrace so they could finish the race, so the current Gen2 is a massive jump & improvement in that regard though with what I've read about the Gen3 car planned for end of next year (thats the 2022/23 season) it should see another big jump in the electric motor and battery, and if the battery & regen effect is sufficient enough in the new car, then you might get your wish HRG of FE racing at more proper tracks in the future but only time will tell.

Yeah obviously getting past a goddamn car swap was a big step, as well as managing to produce a world championship racing car capable of doing more than 100mph too.

Honestly its all I wanna see, is it try and put itself out there as a series to be viewed alongside other world championships, not the street circuit sideshow it currently is. I'd like it to feel more natural in terms of how races play out, the rules, the style of car and driving and the tracks they head to. Right now it feels so forced to me.

The Gen3 is another step in the right direction in terms of styling too, and the Valencia weekend was an indication they might be giving it a go (even if they did use a short layout that led to a stereotypically FormulaE "problem hairpin" thats barely wide enough for one car.

As I said before, MotoE is my example of an electric series done right. They run a shortened calendar but go to the same tracks as the main 3 Moto classes and they adhere to all regular rules. Immediately I'm interested and invested because its straight away pitched as a genuine series. My only issue is the races are a touch too short, I'd like to see a lap or two longer really but its a good start. The rider lineup is solid too, not amazing but a few GP winners and top riders from Superbikes etc.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Surely under SC they should have been able to save energy? That's part of the strategy isn't it? For the organisers to then force them back into that energy conservation tactic is, as I say, so contrived and antithetical to how pretty much every motorsport goes. They just seem to have a singular idea of what they want the series to be and will hammer it in any which way it fits.
Funnily enough the reason they do the reduction in energy was due to season's in the past where in races there would be occasions with multiple SC's/FCY's and drivers would have a surplus of energy and would be able to go flat out for the remaining laps, so those in charge of FE decided to bring in the reduction of energy to prevent this from continuously happening time and time again.
Of course I understand your point and it pretty much reinforces what you said in that last sentence, that rule was brought in because they have there own clear idea of what FE should be primarily about, and thats racing with limited energy with the drivers and teams having to manage it as best as they can, is energy reduction a antithetical or questionable method in racing terms - probably, but ultimately for FE its a necessary evil.

That is a flaw to me. If you have to change circuit layouts because the cars aren't designed properly, they should sort the cars out, or go slower. F1 has tracks where they struggle with regen, but they don't change the layout for that. Same with longer laptimes, they haven't put a chicane in at Austria now that F1 is nudging a minute round there. Laps are as long as they are for any given class. I just don't understand the thinking. To me, almost every decision they make is either contrived or for the sake of it.

Yeah obviously getting past a goddamn car swap was a big step, as well as managing to produce a world championship racing car capable of doing more than 100mph too.

Honestly its all I wanna see, is it try and put itself out there as a series to be viewed alongside other world championships, not the street circuit sideshow it currently is. I'd like it to feel more natural in terms of how races play out, the rules, the style of car and driving and the tracks they head to. Right now it feels so forced to me.

The Gen3 is another step in the right direction in terms of styling too, and the Valencia weekend was an indication they might be giving it a go (even if they did use a short layout that led to a stereotypically FormulaE "problem hairpin" thats barely wide enough for one car.

The FE cars and any racing series that wants to be electric based are for now limited purely because of the power limitations of electric motors and batteries, but to compare the regen between an F1 car to an FE car is is like comparing apples to oranges - sure F1 cars can have regen issues at some tracks but its a hybrid car they have fuel to keep powering the engine even if they run out of ERS lol, FE cars don't have that luxury they solely have to rely on regenerating power to finish the race.

Now sure they could drive slower to make sure they can race at proper race tracks, but I think you wouldn't see much racing and more just a lift and coast procession, with the length of laptime my point with why they wanted it longer at Valencia was because there races are time limit based, F1 as you know has a set predetermined amount of laps in FE they don't, and its likely had they not put that chicane in at Valencia then they would have had too many laps in the time limit and not enough regen for the cars so they wouldn't be able to finish the race in normal circumstances. (though if they didn't put in that chicane and race it as is, then I guess it would have likely have just been a lift and coast fest all race with minimal action)

Anyway with the speeds of the FE cars just to give you the run down of facts.
Gen1 had a battery of 28kWh, max power of 200kW = 268hp, but reduced for the race to 150kW = 201hp
Gen2 has a battery of 54kWh, max power of 250kW = 335hp, but reduced for the race to 200kW = 268hp
though Gen3 looks very promising if these reported numbers do happen:

300kW power output for the race alone would be a huge jump in power and just as a reference the Gen2 in qualy mode at 250kW can reach speeds of around 280km/h (174mph), so we could see a big jump in performance for an FE car by next year.

Yeah it's the full Monaco layout this week with some minor adjustments

That good to hear I didn't know they were doing the full Monaco this season, either way this means FE is clearly starting to dip its toe in proper racing tracks I guess, though whether they can go for longer tracks in the near future will be down to the Gen3 car and what its limits are, as the longest circuit FE has raced at is around 2.1 miles, even RBR for example which is one of the shortest laps in F1 and one of the smaller circuits is around 2.6 miles and another that you would think is small Hungary is actually 2.7 miles for FE cars thats a big jump in distance to make.

As I said before, MotoE is my example of an electric series done right. They run a shortened calendar but go to the same tracks as the main 3 Moto classes and they adhere to all regular rules. Immediately I'm interested and invested because its straight away pitched as a genuine series. My only issue is the races are a touch too short, I'd like to see a lap or two longer really but its a good start. The rider lineup is solid too, not amazing but a few GP winners and top riders from Superbikes etc.

Lastly as for MotoE I can't comment on it as I've never seen it though I have been aware of its existence of it in the past due to one of the MotoGP games.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Unpopular opinion: Attack mode is the best "gimmick" and should be used in every series.

Also unpopular opinion in a similar vein: DRS is the worst invention in any sort of racing series ever made and should never come back until it's fair. Why should a driver have an advantage purely because he's behind another driver. Give them all X amount of uses and then it's fair. It's like saying I should get extra power on the straights just because i'm behind Harry and can't pass, it's just rubbish. Give me no overtaking over fake overtaking any day.

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Unpopular opinion: Attack mode is the best "gimmick" and should be used in every series.
Give them all X amount of uses and then it's fair

I actually liked KERS and I like Push2Pass in IndyCar, DTM etc. If FE just made it like that rather than making them drive through a Mario Kart power-up I think it'd be fine.

Also unpopular opinion in a similar vein: DRS is the worst invention in any sort of racing series ever made and should never come back until it's fair. Why should a driver have an advantage purely because he's behind another driver. Give them all X amount of uses and then it's fair. It's like saying I should get extra power on the straights just because i'm behind Harry and can't pass, it's just rubbish. Give me no overtaking over fake overtaking any day.

Honestly, on that last point, absolutely not lol. As it stands DRS is a necessary evil, because the cars can't follow one another at any sort of range and absolutely nothing would happen. At this point, drivers should be rewarded for staying within a second of another car because its so goddamn difficult :LOL:. At some tracks its absolutely too OP I admit, Imola 2021, Portimao 2020 etc. but then at others it barely does its job at all, Portimao 2021 (them taking 120m off the DRS zone murdered that race) the most recent example. I think it needs fine-tuning in its current state. Maybe do a Polyphony and reduce the distance to 8 tenths, or like you say, only allow them to use it on 20 laps (although i still think that particular option would be a catastrophe for any action).

When the new regs come in, if cars can follow one another again, then it should absolutely be binned off. What I'd like to see is a return of the F-Duct; a device the teams actually have to engineer rather than a fix-all regulated system, although that had its issues in 2010 as well.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
I actually liked KERS and I like Push2Pass in IndyCar, DTM etc. If FE just made it like that rather than making them drive through a Mario Kart power-up I think it'd be fine.
I think Liberty should also have 'attack mode' in F1 but only if they add one of these at the end:
1620174304502.png

;)

Honestly, on that last point, absolutely not lol. As it stands DRS is a necessary evil, because the cars can't follow one another at any sort of range and absolutely nothing would happen. At this point, drivers should be rewarded for staying within a second of another car because its so goddamn difficult :LOL:. At some tracks its absolutely too OP I admit, Imola 2021, Portimao 2020 etc. but then at others it barely does its job at all, Portimao 2021 (them taking 120m off the DRS zone murdered that race) the most recent example. I think it needs fine-tuning in its current state. Maybe do a Polyphony and reduce the distance to 8 tenths, or like you say, only allow them to use it on 20 laps (although i still think that particular option would be a catastrophe for any action).

I can't even begin to imagine how little overtaking F1 would have over the past 10 years if DRS didn't exist at all, sure I can see your point about it Browneskii but it is needed 'for the show'.

Though I disagree with your assessment of Portimao this year HRG, I felt the DRS zone length was reasonable and alot more balanced this time round, sure some cars didn't get close enough to be able to overtake but on the flipside some did and those drivers only got the move done at T1, not well before like last year.

Anyway you would be both more then welcome to chew the fat with me on the F1 races this season, (as would anyone else here) I'm generally create the race threads in the motorsport section but normally its just a few of us at most, heres the current race thread:
(feel free to vote on the poll)

You don't have to post tons, but just hearing your thoughts after qualy/before the race and after the race would be interesting and probably help re-ignite things a bit in that part of the forum, as we're on the cusp of what looks finally like a long awaited season long Hamilton v Verstappen battle, yet people on the site have shown very little interest in actually talking about F1 currently which is surprising.

Finally as for league matters, well with HRG talking about Mario Kart I'm now aware of a secret item box location at the track, so I now have a plan B if the race isn't going my way:devilish::
HIFW I play Mario Kart - GIF on Imgur

:D

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Here is the livery I will be using for Spa:
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210505194039.jpg Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210505194247.jpg

Found this classic beauty based on the 1968 Lotus 49B driven by Graham Hill, I felt it was pretty fitting to use this livery at Spa - classic track and all that.

jutngo

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Pre-Race Questions:

Goals will be the same as usual. Complete every race if possible. Enjoy every race. Don't ruin anyone else's race!! After that I would like to help Bleeding Edge do well in the teams championship. We've been at the sharp end before and would be great to see the team back to that level. Each season seems to get more competitive though and those points are getting more difficult to gather up so I may need to get more track time this season to keep up with the pack!!

Looks great to me. There might be a few tracks there that won't suit the Honda but overall may even out. Laguna Seca is in. Nice.

3. The real-life motorsport seasons are well underway now, which disciplines are your favourite? Do you watch any other sport outside of motorsport?

Favourite would be the BTCC, back when I watched it, in the 90's!! Followed everything on four wheels (and two) back then but not much at all now. Try to catch Le Mans and make an effort to watch Goodwood Revival. Other than that I try to follow the cycling grand tours and any big sailing events.

Pole - HRG
Win - HRG
FL - Stevo

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Just to confirm, qualifying is 7 minutes and not the 6 minutes as it was in practice? And I think I was going to ask something else but forgotten now...

Drivers Championship I think the target is 5th, if not 6th.
Team Championship I'd like to say win, but I'm not sure how many races @Hasnain will be missing which could hurt in this longer season. Hopefully a top 3 result at least though.

Don't have much of an opinion on the calendar minus what I said in the Main Discussion thread. Generally though the ones that stick out to me are Brands Hatch and Nurburgring as they always seem to be tracks I struggle at. On the flip side though, I'm interested to do Laguna Seca as I don't think I've ever had a league race there! So that'll be something. Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but was the last time we raced at Bathurst when that final lap incident happened in the Sprint and I went from 3rd to winning it in the last few corners? I'm up for that result happening again haha. :p

Thinking about it now... No, I can't say I do watch much sports these days. Used to more back in the day but yeah, pretty much only watch F1 these days. I did actually check out Formula E a few weeks ago and saw all the changes they've made since I last saw that which may have been the first season! At the time I did kinda want to keep more of an eye on it but time and that. I did also check out that Extreme E not so long ago too but again, we'll see if I watch the next one. No idea when that even is haha. Apart from that, I watch the other odd sport here and there.

I think generally it could be summed up that I don't watch a lot of TV these days actually which is accurate. I'm certainly more into gaming haha.

@HRacingGreen for all of them.

4) You've gotta go with the obvious here, considering he wins basically every single first race ever, it's gotta be a HRG pole and win, and I'll go with a SNS fastest lap.

Pole: Snake
Winner: Snake
FL: Snake
Anything less would be a disappointment :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'll try not to let you two down! Haha. :p
There's no point for Fastest Lap still is there? Otherwise maybe I'd have gone for it to try and make those guesses correct haha.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Yes 7 minutes, 6 in practice was a mistake.

No haha, no FL point anymore.
When was this changed? I've seen 6 minutes all week and now you're saying that ONLY the first person (which will be you as you're the host) will get 3 flying laps and everyone else will get 2. I'm not a fan of this tbh.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
When was this changed? I've seen 6 minutes all week and now you're saying that ONLY the first person (which will be you as you're the host) will get 3 flying laps and everyone else will get 2. I'm not a fan of this tbh.
In theory I reckon you could get 2 or 3 drivers at a push that could get 3 laps with 7 minutes (as pit exit is beyond T1) but they would have to push the instant they leave the pitlane.