GT Sport AOR GTSL S18 CC#4 - Rd.5 | AUTODROMO LAGO MAGGIORE GP II | GR.3 | 10/06/21

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
1. Gr.3 returns after a two round hiatus at a track configuration we've never previously raced at. How does your Gr.3 car stack up here do you think, and have you been looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of these faster machines?
It certainly felt weird at first driving it again haha. The car is a pain in some corners but generally it seems okay here. The practices have looked decent, so I'm hopeful of at least getting a decent result but I'm very much struggling for consistency.

2. As mentioned, LM GP II is something of an unknown quantity in the league up until now, however we've raced on many of the alternate layouts. How do you feel about the Lago Maggiore complex as a whole, and this layout in particular? Are you a fan?

I think generally I don't mind the track, although I probably do prefer any version that doesn't have that pain in the ass final corner of Sector 3 haha.

3. The conclusion of this round will mark the halfway stage of the championship. Up to this point, how do you think your season has played out?

Probably about what I expected, if not a bit better due to having two podiums. Hopefully I can sneak in one or two more by the end! In terms of individual things, then minus the last round, qualifying has definitely been a surprise and way better than expected so far this season.

4. Predict your qualifying position and your positions gained/lost at the start of the Feature and Sprint Races respectively.

Qualifying - P2 (I'm going bold and hoping to return to the P2 tradition haha! Probably won't though so I'll take any even number.)
Feature - Lose 2 Positions.
Sprint - Gain 2 Positions.

leedamastr

F1 Multiple Race Winner
Think I may regret taking a long walk earlier today, though it actually got rid of a tight calf muscle so could have done me good:unsure:

LJM_Stevo

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Tonight was my last race. I’ve not enjoyed this game for the majority of this season and I just can’t be bothered to be quite frank. I’m not going to be coming back either until next gen. People may think it’s purely because of today’s results. It’s partly it as I really struggled but I also can’t be bothered getting hit off (I imagine lag was because of it tonight) in sprint races.
Good luck for the rest of the season. See you soon… maybe

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Tonight was my last race. I’ve not enjoyed this game for the majority of this season and I just can’t be bothered to be quite frank. I’m not going to be coming back either until next gen. People may think it’s purely because of today’s results. It’s partly it as I really struggled but I also can’t be bothered getting hit off (I imagine lag was because of it tonight) in sprint races.
Good luck for the rest of the season. See you soon… maybe

Its a shame to see you go, but understandable if you aren't enjoying yourself. I hope you do come back when the time is right.

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Well I can't complain about my results tonight really. Made a hash of quali and ended up P2, but still got a decent start and led early on.

However @Hasnain was on another level. I had similar pace but I lacked a bit of confidence after qualifying and was having to really push to keep him at arm's length and it was eating the tyres and fuel. We each made a few odd mistakes, and every time I thought I'd broken away, he put in a stormer of a lap and caught back up so the gap remained equal. I pit L10 looking for an undercut as the tyres were going off, but the extra fuel required meant I lost more ground than I'd planned. This, combined with the GT-R's better fuel, meant we entered T1 on Lap 12 side by side, and a small error from him allowed me through. I stayed ahead for a while but an error on the exit of T13 allowed him through, and by then the tyres were going off and I just couldn't keep in touch. Maybe without that I'd have been able to stay in front but I doubt it. In clear air I'm convinced he'd have been doing low 58s every lap without fail. A really exciting, high-pressure race and in the end I couldn't make too much of a fuss, it was just a step too far for me this week.

Sprint Race was extremely fun too. Opted to change tyres on a gamble having seen my drop-off in the Feature, and were it not for some tomfoolery between Wobbuffet and Jack early on, I think I'd have a run on P2, but anything more than that was off the table as the traffic was just too much, and I was making a few errors in that race too. Crucially though, I managed to beat @Browneskiii in both races which was absolutely key. I need another round like that and I'm right back in the title fight I think.

Congrats to @Wedgybo and @Hasnain on the wins, and to @SolidNinjaSnake for the podium.

Brands is gonna be interesting, no idea what'd gonna happen there.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Honestly wanted to shoot myself tonight. Genuinely never felt a worse balance than I did around this track before on this game. Understeer and no turn in at all on entry and mid corner and then sudden snap oversteer on exit. If there's any way of killing my confidence, it's that combination. At least we're back to the Gr4 for the next two races.

I know I say it a lot, but I knew before the session started that it would be a struggle for a podium, but to only lose 5 points to P2 overall is almost like a win honestly.

Due to me now officially getting my own place and getting the keys on the 28th, I am not 100% sure I'll be available for all the remaining races, but if that's the way I lose the title, then I don't mind so much. I should be making all the races, but you never know with internet that's just put in and whatever else comes with a new house etc, it's probably going to be a case of minimal practice them weeks if I do make it.

Wedgybo

Formula 4 1st Driver
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Fun race last night after my remote play nightmare of last week.

Qualifying was sub par. Should have been in the 58s easily but I don't think it would have seen me much further up the field. Oh well.

8th - Feature race I got a poor start and after a few trips into the gravel I ended up last or second last by the end of lap 1/2. In the first stint a fun battle with @Heinehegn with us overtaking each other a few times. Then a few laps later catching up to @BL99DY-NINE and after a few attempts I finally passed and pulled a gap, but as the stints went on he would claw it back. Thankfully we both came into the pits with the same amount of fuel. Some unfortunate incidents to others in the field meant we jumped up the ranks to 8th. Didn't have the pace to catch @mikmakmok and started making mistakes trying too. I settled for just keeping it clean and trying not to let @BL99DY-NINE catch up. Without the starting incidents I reckon I would have been in the hunt with Mik and Wobby but wouldashoudacouda in all that.

1st - Sprint race was a lot of fun. Massive advantage starting 3rd but hey. First lap just focused on getting passed my teammate who thankfully didn't fight too hard (Thanks @GKRT_PinkiiBoii) and then @Heinehegn as quickly as possible. Then it was fuel save to eek out that extra lap.

Once people started talking about folk pitting without changing tyres I looked at my gap back and thought I can get a change in here and still maybe be ok, so I took the risk of losing the lead for the tyre advantage. Good thing I did as @Hasnain who pitted L1 swung round the outside as I was exiting the pits. I tried to stay close to him for an overtake after the big banky boy. Misjudged my breaking with him on worn tyres and me on fresh and ended up giving him a love tap so lifted off to let him back past. Knew if I was going to take the lead back I had to use these fresh tyres in the next two laps or I'll soon be running similar pace and the chance would be gone.

A few attempts later and I managed to slide up the inside of that awkward left hander before the last sector. Later on that lap I thought he was going to sail passed me again on the start finish, but he gave me a nudge. I assume you figured you'd get me later on and were trying not to lose time to the folks behind by battling. Thank you for that. Could have been a different result if you'd gone for the move I reckon.

Anyhoo. Pulled a bit of a gap and in the closing laps as my tyres started to go off @Hasnain started reeling me in. One mistake on the same corner I overtook on meant he was right on the rear for the final sector of the last lap. I didn't have my radar on so I was just driving my line having no idea if he was going for a move. Panic was setting in but I didn't dare move the display for fear of losing concentration :D ended up a close finish for the line and I could finally stop sweating.

Thanks for the fun race!

Congrats to @Hasnain @SolidNinjaSnake @HRacingGreen on the wins/podiums!

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
1st - Sprint race was a lot of fun. Massive advantage starting 3rd but hey. First lap just focused on getting passed my teammate who thankfully didn't fight too hard (Thanks @GKRT_PinkiiBoii) and then @Heinehegn as quickly as possible. Then it was fuel save to eek out that extra lap.
Another bloody co-ordinator winning races! Absolute cheat ;)

Hasnain

F1 Senna Equivalent
Both my quali laps weren't particularly good, had a poor sector 3 and 4 on the first one and the 2nd one I was 2 tenths down going into the last sector, so was surprised that I actually got pole.
Only lost 2 positions at the start thanks to Snake backing off slightly and then got lucky at the end of the lap with Stevo making a mistake and then a battle behind giving me a nice buffer. I was expecting Harry to just pull away by the end of the stint so didn't push it too hard and just made sure to run my own laps to keep a good gap behind but it turns out the car was better on tyres and fuel than the Pug around here so I ended up closing right in by the end of the stint. Managed to make the overcut work but just went wide at the T1 exit and he got back past. I also tried a move at the end of the lap but he managed to hold onto the spot. After that it was just about keeping the pressure on and hoping I'd get a good run (I did get good exits a couple of times but I wasn't prepared to go for a big move at that point in the race). Luckily for me, Harry went slightly wide at the end of sector 3 with about 5 laps to go and after that I was able to pull away on the fresher tyres to bring home the win.
My sprint strategy was going to depend on what the field looked like at the end of lap 1 and with all the battling going I decided to pit and get into clean air. It pretty much worked to a tee. Wedgy came out pretty close behind on fresh tyres so tried not to fight him too hard as my tyres dropped off significantly after lap 7 in practice so was just hoping he'd pull me along so the others wouldn't catch up. I did manage to put a bit of pressure on the last lap but he held on well. Probably could've been a win if I trusted myself a bit more but 've got no complaints with P2.

All in all it couldn't have gone much better, the car was clearly very good here (as shown with Sanke's results also) and I think with it being (I assume) many people's first time properly racing on this layout, helped me a lot as well as I've driven this in dailies and FIA and it's not am easy track to learn. But still very happy to not make any major screwups and make the most of the combo this time.

Congrats to Wedgy on the win and well done to Harry and Snake on the podium.

Stream VoD

Jamie9000000

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Was on for a solid P8 or P9 in the feature race, was somewhat keeping up with @Wobbuffet and building a gap on @jutngo and @leedamastr as they were fighting. But then had a massive disaster as I went slightly wide on the first part of the middle chicane, hit the kerb on the right which proceeded to launch my car and full speed into the wall, was just bad luck on how it span my car, as I've done that a few times, but it's never reacted like that.

2nd stint was all about catching @Heinehegn do I didn't finish 2nd to last :p I actually had consistency there as I was catching every lap for the next 11 laps, and passed on the final lap.

Sprint race, I was on for a podium. But had a slight moment with @mikmakmok which sent me onto the grass and spinning across the track. Rest of the race was about not finishing last, but was driving like crap because I was so angry. Struggled to catch @GKRT_PinkiiBoii before the end of the race, but got passed on the last lap after he made a mistake on the middle chicane.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Might as well do my race report.

Qualy - 6th: I put together a good lap I would say, ended up within a couple tenths of my best that I had done leading up to this but wasn't surprised that it was only good enough for 6th.

Feature - 6th: Got jumped by a better starting MMM and dropped to 7th at the start and then had a bit of a sketchy 1st lap towards the end but managed to stay 7th, after several laps I was able to stick with the big group of cars from 3rd down to myself and things were in general pretty static until MMM clipped the wall exiting the last corner near the end of the opening stint which moved me upto 6th.

I made my stop lap 10 and exited a couple seconds behind Stevo, I got held up slightly by Jamie on the outlap but did manage to get by him but Stevo had increased his advantage over me as a result, after that it was clear Stevo was a couple tenths faster on average over the next few laps and with a gap of around 7/8 seconds back to MMM (after he made his stop), I decided to end any thoughts of catching Stevo and just manage the gap to MMM behind and in the end I did that to finish 6th.

Sprint - 6th: First couple laps was going reasonably well but then I broke a little bit to late trying to past Jack and then got hit in the rear by Jack as I was getting back onto the racing line and that sent me off, I recovered and Jack waited but the damage was done as by the time my tyres got clean it cost me 4 places.

I pitted lap 4 and exited the pits just behind Stevo, I decided to just stick close and follow over the next few laps while we closed up to the group of cars ahead and eventually things picked up in the last couple laps, gained 2 places after Bl99dy bumped Stevo and then next lap passed Juntgo, heading into the final lap I was very close to Lee but exiting T6 I went wide onto the grass due to horrendous understeer/dirty air, but managed to stay ahead of Jutngo and then make up a second on Lee through the rest of S2 & S3 to be able to pass him with a few corners to go and I ended up finishing 6th.

Looking back at that night I didn't have high hopes heading into it but had it not been for MMM being a bit unlucky then I'm finishing the feature 7th, but was I pretty surprised & happy to even be in the hunt for a podium at one stage for as long as I was, and as for the sprint the incident with Jack obviously that was a bit frustrating and probably cost me a top 5 at least, however to comeback from that incident and still finish 6th in that race as well was a bit of a minor miracle in itself considering how bad the Jag was around here, its quite strange to think that I felt afterwards that I maximized my results (and actually probably got better results then I should have), but even so as it stands this is my drop week now.

Anyway congrats to Hasnain on his win and podium & Wedgy for his win and well done to the podium finishers.

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Qualifying & Feature Race - P3 & P3
I was amazed I did a 57.9 on my first lap as it was such a mess, so there was plenty of time to gain. Unfortunately I'd then make an even worse mess of my second lap, mainly at the final corner of Sector 3 after being a tenth or two up. So in the end I didn't improve and finished qualifying with a 1:57.987 to claim P3.

The start was better than expected as I only lost the one position to @LJM_Stevo and slotted into P4. He'd go off at the exit of the final corner of Sector 3 which bunched us and @Browneskiii behind up as I attempted to pass in the final corners but ended up losing out to Browneskii. Stevo would go off again on Lap 3 which allowed Browneskii and I through. Browneskii would then make a very rare mistake on Lap 5 and go off on the exit of the final corner of Sector 3 as well which allowed me to have a go at passing and I finally got the pass done at the final corner with a switchback. I'd remain in P3 until I pitted on Lap 10.

Then I made a return to messing fuel up! Yay haha. Thankfully I realised in time but didn't have time to work out what I needed and so basically went about half between. I probably really should just follow the in-game icon but yeah haha... So I had to fuel save quite a bit in the last stint to the point where @Browneskiii closed down a 3 second gap. He'd get firmly within a second on Lap 17 but somehow I was holding on to P3. I was certain I was going to lose it due to fuel saving and plus there were at various times he was pretty much alongside me, one moment heading to T1 but he didn't go for the pass. Unfortunately the ending wasn't the best after what was a great race and battle with Browneskii, as it turned out I accidentally nudged him into the wall on the final corner as I was regaining control of my car. I'm sure he saw at various times during the race that I slid there, as well as other corners, but watching it back I think it was worse this time as I went over the inside curb too much and into the dipped bit which unsettled the car more. So in the end, I finished P3 but felt bad afterwards when told in the chat. So I'm sorry to @Browneskiii for the ending.

Sprint Race - P4
Continued to feel bad heading into the Sprint but tried to regain focus. Made a mess of the first sector at the start which firmly put @HRacingGreen on my tail already and was passed heading into T1 on the next lap. I'd repass at the final corner of Sector 3 as we came up to @Wobbuffet and @GKRT_PinkiiBoii who had their incident at the next corner, allowing me to move into P6. I'd get passed once again by HRG who had a much better hairpin and overtook me down the straight heading into Sector 3. He would then pit on Lap 3 while I pitted on Lap 4.

I was able to overcut him but was now among a bunch of cars who had pitted a lap earlier too. I'd slowly get through two of them before getting to @leedamastr on Lap 6 towards the final corner of Sector 3, where I took the risk of trying to go around the outside. Not sure if he broke too late or was defending but it took us out wide and I had to back out, which allowed @HRacingGreen through while I passed Lee two corners later. From here it was pretty much catch HRG, but then he'd pass whoever was next while I had to remain behind a few corners before I followed. We'd end up 3rd and 4th and starting the last lap, I was 9 tenths behind. I'd close all that time down to challenge him in the final sector but unfortunately I couldn't find a way through and had to settle for P4.

Conclusion
An excellent round overall with perhaps a little bit of disappointment. Qualifying could have been more in the end I guess? PB was a 57.8 but knew I could at least do a 57.7, then when I saw how that first lap went, surely I could have gained a bit more as well. A shame as it would have been great to get a 1-2 in qualifying with @Hasnain but ah well. Feature was brilliant overall. Disappointing to lose so much time to the front two so early on which wasn't really recoverable. Had a great race with @Browneskiii though but again, sorry for the ending. Sprint was great and while I could point to various moments that cost me P3, I think the main one was my risk of trying to go around the outside of @leedamastr, as I had track position over @HRacingGreen at that point. So a shame to miss out on a podium but happy with a P4 nonetheless.

Good to have such a great round before my normal service (or worse) shall resume at Brands Hatch haha.

Congrats to @Hasnain and @Wedgybo on their wins! As well as to @HRacingGreen for their podium finishes. (y)