AOR GTSL S19 - Super Formula: Round 3 - Autódromo José Carlos Pace (Interlagos) - 16/9/21

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Well I'm not as far off as I expected with so little practice. 16.8 on softs, mid 17 on mediums but I fear my tyre wear is gonna be poor as it often has been in these cars before.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Well I'm not as far off as I expected with so little practice. 16.8 on softs, mid 17 on mediums but I fear my tyre wear is gonna be poor as it often has been in these cars before.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
giphy.gif

*MORE danger :LOL:

Also, are you using a wheel? And did you use a wheel back during ILC?

Hasnain

F1 Senna Equivalent
1. Round 3 has us in South America, what is your favourite memory/race at this circuit?
In terms of AOR: The race that shall not be named I quite enjoyed the Feature Race last season

In terms of real life: the 2008 and 2012 season finale's were quite something

2. What has been your highlight of the 4 races so far?

Both wins have been pretty good.

3. Having spent a fair bit of time in these cars now. What are your thoughts on them?

Fun to drive but it's a shame they're affected by dirty air so much

4. Who will finish 5th, 7th and 9th on Thursday?

5th: Wedgy
7th: BL99DY
9th: Meg

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Its already getting to crunch time championship wise as there only 2 rounds (which is just 3 races) and looking at the drivers standings at most its a 4 horse race now with Browneskii 4th - 28pts back but for him that would require a massive turnaround at this stage to be fair.

I mean I'm 21pts back and I feel that I'm at the realistic limit of being in contention at the moment, so the feature tomorrow will definitely go along way to whether I'm still in any kind of champ. contention heading into the sprint, as for SNS he's a fair bit closer at 12pts behind but I think we're in a similar position to a degree, neither of us can really afford to finish behind Hasnain in the feature though its not necessarily a 'must win'.

However worse case scenario for us (the chasing pack) is if Hasnain wins it, then I & Browneskii will definitely be waving the white flag championship wise and depending on where SNS finishes he might have to as well.

However with the team championship standings things look done and dusted pretty much at the top (PPR lead by 58pts), so theres no reason really for Hasnain & SNS (1 & 2 in the standings) not to be battling each other hard for the rest of the season, as any thoughts of playing the team game has to go out the window at this point because of the drivers championship situation.

Lastly surprised but good to see you racing tomorrow @HRacingGreen, I'm going to be interested to see how you get on though if you do the lap times mentioned in earlier posts then no reason why you won't be a serious threat (like normal lol), though just one thing I want to confirm co-ords - HRG starting at the back for the sprint regardless of feature result?

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Its already getting to crunch time championship wise as there only 2 rounds (which is just 3 races) and looking at the drivers standings at most its a 4 horse race now with Browneskii 4th - 28pts back but for him that would require a massive turnaround at this stage to be fair
Definitely a 3 horse race. If I had the pace that I do in the GT cars, then I'd be confident I could potentially come back, but with my form in these cars, there's literally zero chance of me winning this. I'd have to have you three disconnect in all the races left I think. And even if that happened, I think I'd refuse to cross the line in position to win it.

I'd be happy if I could maybe nab a 3rd overall, but 4th is realistically the aim. I know it's "my" track today, but even then, I only really have one lap pace, but no race pace. Hopefully I'll be in the fight for the podium, but I do expect another runaway from the pricks and you (and Harry) as per the last two features.

A podium in the sprint would be nice as well, but we'll see.

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Its already getting to crunch time championship wise as there only 2 rounds (which is just 3 races) and looking at the drivers standings at most its a 4 horse race now with Browneskii 4th - 28pts back but for him that would require a massive turnaround at this stage to be fair.

I mean I'm 21pts back and I feel that I'm at the realistic limit of being in contention at the moment, so the feature tomorrow will definitely go along way to whether I'm still in any kind of champ. contention heading into the sprint, as for SNS he's a fair bit closer at 12pts behind but I think we're in a similar position to a degree, neither of us can really afford to finish behind Hasnain in the feature though its not necessarily a 'must win'.

However worse case scenario for us (the chasing pack) is if Hasnain wins it, then I & Browneskii will definitely be waving the white flag championship wise and depending on where SNS finishes he might have to as well.

However with the team championship standings things look done and dusted pretty much at the top (PPR lead by 58pts), so theres no reason really for Hasnain & SNS (1 & 2 in the standings) not to be battling each other hard for the rest of the season, as any thoughts of playing the team game has to go out the window at this point because of the drivers championship situation.

Lastly surprised but good to see you racing tomorrow @HRacingGreen, I'm going to be interested to see how you get on though if you do the lap times mentioned in earlier posts then no reason why you won't be a serious threat (like normal lol), though just one thing I want to confirm co-ords - HRG starting at the back for the sprint regardless of feature result?

Yeah I still wish there was at least a 5th round. Four feels too short but at the same time, can understand after the first two rounds if people are looking forward to seeing the back of them. (More of my thoughts below for Mik's questions.)
On a side question, is it safe to assume that the final round will have the points system from adding Feature and Sprint together, like we did at Le Mans?

As for tonight, it feels so much closer and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I ended up 7th at this point! So as nice as it will be to have a competitive field, I could have done without it haha. :p

1. Round 3 has us in South America, what is your favourite memory/race at this circuit?
That time Kimi went exploring in 2012 haha. As for me racing, I guess the most recent one is last season on F1 2020 game, winning in the wet.

2. What has been your highlight of the 4 races so far?
Probably the pole position at Catalunya. Was really happy with that one.

3. Having spent a fair bit of time in these cars now. What are your thoughts on them?
So, I think it's safe to say I like them because I can actually be competitive in them and potentially have a chance of actually winning races. However, from a competitive field point of view just based on this season, I feel like a Super Formula Season doesn't work unless there are enough people for multiple tiers? As the gaps just seem too much.

As said earlier, I do wish there were at least 5 rounds as four feels too short. Maybe there could have been a wet race somewhere like Red Bull Ring? (Maybe we could do that randomly the week after the season is finished if anyone is interested.)
As for the Drivers Championship, I feel it's Hasnain's already. I feel like I've made too many strategy errors while RK has perhaps made too many on track driving errors, while Hasnain has just been perfect through it all. It's funny though as, if it's not @HRacingGreen and @Browneskiii kicking my ass, it's @Hasnain and @Wobbuffet haha. Perhaps I'm forever destined to not win a Drivers Championship on this game! As for Constructors, it's not over till it's over so never say never.

4. Who will finish 5th, 7th and 9th on Thursday?
It feels so much closer this week that I could easily finish down the order. It's hard to choose but I'll go with...

5th - Browneskii
7th - Meg1s
9th - Jamie

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
That was the most retarded thing I've ever done in the history of league racing.
P5 and hit off at T3, meh, no big deal, I'd have dropped back on the mediums anyway.

Then lap 8 I forgot i had to do 9 laps on the tyres, so I'm coming into the pits and remember it's 9 laps. Cue me banging head first into the pit wall. Genuinely embarrassing how that happened. Cost me 20 seconds and potentially p4. I will never let myself forget that one. The one time I actually have pace, I bin it myself. It's not good enough.

jutngo

Formula 3 2nd Driver
I will never let myself forget that one

No, WE will never let you forget that one!! :)

Great racing tonight chaps. Think I did the best I could with my lack of pace. Chanced the one stop and don't think it cost me anything really. It probably just minimised my need to battle anyone too hard for position in the early stages and let me drive in clean air later on.

Well done Wedgy in the feature. Unlucky Wedgy in the sprint!! :)

HRacingGreen

4x AOR GT Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Very enjoyable night.

Poor qualifying cost me P3, then a button mixup on L1 meant I had to come from last. Switched to a 1-stop and gained 2 places from 7th to 5th, losing 4th with just a lap to go. Without the error I think I'd have held it.

Sprint was great fun, and really happy to nick 3rd place from last on the grid.

Considering I haven't played the game properly in over a month and had 45 minutes practice beforehand, I'm happy with the results. The pace in the field this season is clearly exceptional.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
My round report.

Qualy - 3rd: After messing up my first lap in S2 I had to be a bit conservative on my last lap otherwise I was risking starting at the back, but taking less risk (mainly in S2) meant it cost me a fair bit of time and instead of doing a 36.5 in the middle sector I did a 36.9, my lap was still good enough for 3rd but leaving 4/5 tenths on the table meant I really missed out on taking pole.

Feature - 3rd: I had a better start this time and stayed 3rd but after a couple laps it became clear to me with the pace that SNS & Hasnain were doing that they were doing one stop, at that point I decided to go for the two stop and just go for it, I tried to get pass Hasnain but dirty air in general made it very hard and the one half chance I got Hasnain defended well.

In the end I was stuck until I pitted on lap 10 but unfortunately my chances of challenging for the win were hampered further as I exited the pits not far behind 5 cars, I quickly caught them and made my way through that pack in a few laps but damage was done as I wasn't able to maximize my pace those laps, and I had the same issue after my 2nd stop again exited behind 4 cars and it took a few laps to pass them all.

Once I did I was reeling in the top 2 at a pretty quick rate but the combo of being to far back with not enough laps to catch them meant I had to settle for 3rd in no mans land.

Sprint - 4th: The opening laps were action packed like normal, though I had a minor incident trying to past Bl99dy at T5 as we made light contact going side by side which sent me wide, (however Browneskii managed to nip past the pair of us because of it) I managed to just avoid going off and did a cutback to pass Bl99dy a corner later, sure it wasn't ideal what happened in the first place but that kind of contact was just one of those things that can happen and no real harm was done.

Anyway the next couple laps I continued to pass people and by lap 5 I was upto 3rd, I decided to pit as did a bunch of people behind but I had 2 unpleasant surprises exiting the pits as I had got jumped by HRG and saw Hasnain passing the the pair of us on the track. (I didn't know he pitted the lap before)

I got past HRG and was beginning to catch Jamie & Hasnain ahead but as I took T3 on lap 8 I was surprised as despite being in the 'dirty air zone' (8/9 tenths) behind Hasnain my car had the grip and aero like I was in clean air and as a result my car turned in more then it should and I cut T3 (only had my 2 right wheels on the kerb) & when I got the power the dirty air decided to return and I ran wide and slightly off exiting T3.

I knew I'd get a pen and I got 1.5 - serving it cost me a place to HRG, a lap later I caught Jamie but as he was lagging a bit so I had to wait until start/finish before attempting a pass which I did at T1, with 4 laps to go I had around a 1.5 second gap to HRG, I was reeling him by a few tenths each lap but run out of time in the end and finished just a couple tenths behind him.

Looking back at that night, again it was one of frustration for me firstly in the feature being stuck behind SNS & Hasnain for the opening stint and then encountering a lot of traffic twice, though even without the traffic I still finish 4/5 seconds behind Hasnain so it wouldn't have changed my result, it was not getting pole and track position at the start that was pretty crucial as I would've likely been able to pull a 5 second gap oto SNS & Hasnain before my first stop and in turn likely exit the pits ahead of traffic and same would've applied for the 2nd stop, it would've left me needing to past the pair of them near the end and would've made for a great finish and battle for the win.

However I do know that SNS & Hasnain were having to limit there pace to do the one stop, and if they did the 2 stop then I don't doubt pace wise it would be pretty close between us, however its pretty frustrating to be feeling that I had the pace to at least properly challenge for the win and didn't even do that in the feature at the end.

Then with the sprint a bit of a mix as during the pitstop phase I got undercut by Hasnain, jumped by HRG (fuel) & overcut by SNS, I think thats the first time I ever experienced the pitstop trifecta of: undercut, jumped & overcut in the same race - this pretty much summed up my feelings on that happening at the time:

Though that was quickly followed by frustration once again when I got caught out by dirty air not behaving as it normally does...either way I think the key moment of the sprint for me was not knowing that Hasnain had pitted the lap before, if I had then I would've likely stayed out instead but regardless the sprint result of 4th instead of at least 3rd shouldn't really matter, as my champ hopes were over after the feature.

Anyway congrats to Hasnain & SNS on there wins & podiums and well done to HRG on his podium.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Sorry @Wobbuffet and @Meg1S I got angry trying to chase down Akkeli :ROFLMAO:

Not that is meant anything in the end
I have to be honest I could see you in the distance a couple laps before and I was hoping I wouldn't catch you on my in-lap but yeah just bad timing I guess also I could only imagine how annoying that is/was seeing me pit after you let me by, oh reason why I couldn't pass you faster when you let me by was because I was on mediums to your softs at the time.

GKRT_PinkiiBoii

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
I have to be honest I could see you in the distance a couple laps before and I was hoping I wouldn't catch you on my in-lap but yeah just bad timing I guess also I could only imagine how annoying that is/was seeing me pit after you let me by, oh reason why I couldn't pass you faster when you let me by was because I was on mediums to your softs at the time.
Its all good mate heat of the moment still wanted to apologise before you saw the stream xD