AOR iRacing Announcement | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing Announcement

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
I would rather go straight to the 3.5, it's what we wanted this whole time.

Maybe two superseasons could work too, so 6 weeks of F3 and then we go 6 weeks of the 3.5 so it gives people ample time to drive both cars and there's that kind of gradual 'speed progression'.

I think participation for the 3.5 could potentially be massive, so the earlier we get set up it will certainly put the league in a healthier position. I'm worried that the F3 could be dead on arrival.

In terms of format, I want the one longer race to come back.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
I hope that means a grid of 3.5 and you in a singular F3.
I'll definitely win the F3 championship in that case.

We should do the pre season test races, figure out what the cars are like and then decide on which to use on the Friday races. I'm more hyped for 3.5 but I understand it will be a more difficult car to drive for some people. Maybe have the long race format in 3.5 and double race format in F3?

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
Something that I think will happen is a couple of pre-season races, in both the F3 and the FR 3.5. They won't be mandatory, but they would be good to join anyway. They'll be regular open hosted.

Also, there's a chance we may postpone the league by a week, and see how the cars go before going forward. We may end up going straight into FR 3.5, but also we might not. It's all a bit up in the air. :)
Also, with Christmas and New Year, a few people may have missed the 28th December anyway, so starting in JAN gives plenty of extra testing time.

Reactions: Ycoms

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
I would rather go straight to the 3.5, it's what we wanted this whole time.

Maybe two superseasons could work too, so 6 weeks of F3 and then we go 6 weeks of the 3.5 so it gives people ample time to drive both cars and there's that kind of gradual 'speed progression'.

I think participation for the 3.5 could potentially be massive, so the earlier we get set up it will certainly put the league in a healthier position. I'm worried that the F3 could be dead on arrival.

In terms of format, I want the one longer race to come back.
I have today I really like this idea.(The 2x6 one)

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
Inevitably people will realise they can't handle the 3.5 and stick with the F3 . The Skip Barber is the most popular series that a lot of fast guys run, not just popular cos it's D class.
The slower the car, the closer racing and more participation. Theres gonna be big gaps in an F3.5 league - depends on what league requirements would be.

I actually think Kerry's idea of 6 weeks of one car and 6 weeks of the other or alternating is the best idea for a test season

Also like Steffen said folk don't have the time to practice properly for 2 cars, so yeah we might end up with two groups of drivers for each league. Just having 2 leagues in general has other behind the scenes implications for running the league

many things to consider

Reactions: Era

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
This. 100%!

Reactions: SmokingPuppy841

Tim Delisle

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 2, 2018
I've never raced in AOR so I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but I've been waiting for 2019S1 signups hoping a spot would be available. I'd be most happy with FR3.5 as it's the car I intend to focus on, but I also like the ideas of splitting the league into 6 weeks F3 and 6 weeks FR3.5 (for this upcoming season at least) or running preseason races to determine what people think of the cars and making a decision based off that. I don't like the possibility of moving league nights to during the week, as it would rule out anyone working normal hours in Asia/Oceania.

Reactions: Briz0wn

Inzyman

Junior Karter
Nov 22, 2018
Well hoping to be a new starter to an AOR Formula League and not sure of getting a start maybe my chances just got a little better! Either way would be happy. Probably will focus on 3.5 in SOF races anyway.....

lukebarton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2017
I like the idea of running at least one F3 season as a progession. Depending on interest levels and how many people want to move up to the 3.5 after one season, we could end up in a situation where running both makes sense? Maybe we could even make the entry into 3.5 league based on top finishers in the F3 league factoring in drop outs etc which could improve the quality of the 3.5 league talent. But it all depends on level of demand I suppose.

Reactions: SmokingPuppy841

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
I like the idea of running at least one F3 season as a progession. Depending on interest levels and how many people want to move up to the 3.5 after one season, we could end up in a situation where running both makes sense? Maybe we could even make the entry into 3.5 league based on top finishers in the F3 league factoring in drop outs etc which could improve the quality of the 3.5 league talent. But it all depends on level of demand I suppose.
2 tiers basically, although iRacing being iRacing although FR3.5 would be Tier One, the different cars and tracks for the second tier may mean they are equally quick, as some people may be in Tier 2 due to only owning a Tier 2 content.