AOR iRacing Endurance Championship - Season 1 Round 5 - Nurburgring | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing Endurance Championship - Season 1 Round 5 - Nurburgring

The Genius

Alex Championship runner-up & 1-time GP2 Champion
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2014

AOR iRacing Endurance Championship - Season 1
Round 5 - Nürburgring Grand-Prix-Strecke

Information:
Date: 11/5

In-sim Time/Date settings:

Date: 11/5
Practice will begin at: 11.00
Qualifying will begin at: 11.45
Race will start at: 12.00
Speed progression: x1.
Weather: Generated.

Time:
Practice: 45 minutes starting at 17:30 (BST)
Lone qualifying: 4 laps/15 minutes starting at 18:15 (BST)
Race: 3 hours/180 minutes race with grid based on qualifying order with a rolling start beginning from 18:32 (BST)

Track: Nürburgring Grand-Prix-Strecke
Layout: BES/WEC

Absences:

@Paulo Martins
@Tom Bridle
@ramdrop

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Bring it on! Love the track.

Reactions: Def

Tom Bridle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 28, 2016
Won't be able to make the race tonight, nor will my team mate. PCDC blue.

Best of luck !

ScienceSloth

Junior Karter
Apr 15, 2019
Good race to all that attended and finished.

Hate to say it but there is 35 teams registered for this league and since joining, my 2 races each one has had less than 20 participants. It's a joke to be honest.

I felt like quitting after qualifying today. 16 cars started todays race, ~12 finished the 3hrs. 2 LMP1's! 2! It's hardly worth making a server for. Feels like a waste of time if nobody is going to bother showing up or even stating absences.

Coombey97

Formula Karter
Mar 10, 2019
Good job by everyone who turned up for making the effort. I feel like this league started off promisingly but has gradually tailed off towards the end of the season. Thanks to everyone who took the time to organise the league and to the people I raced against this season. I enjoyed it while it lasted :)

• Agree
Reactions: Tex Wheeler

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Yep, attendance has been poor and we will take our learnings from that.

Thanks everyone who started and finished.

My race was los and steady, P8 in GTEs yay!
Didnt have any practice before this sessions 45m practice started, so I’m quite happy I wasn’t totally off.
The M8 feels horrible here though and the 37C track throughout the race didn’t help.

Still, happy with the race

Tex Wheeler

Formula 4 1st Driver
Feb 13, 2018
Had nice battles on 1st and 2nd stint, took pretty carefully. Third was pretty quiet. Agree that partipication have been an issue, although this race was pretty interesting for me. Didn't change tires in last stop, which gave me a bigger gap to VEC Ferrari but slower car. Also AOR Team Yellow was pretty close, as they needed less fuel. I was afraid that Evan would have got me but the gap remained pretty constant. Towards the end, VEC guys were catching fast but in the end I had the edge. Unfortunately, I can imagine that most drivers had quiet race towards the end, and LMP1 with two cars isn't probably the most exiting race.

Thanks to all who was there and to the organizers :) Now I'm somewhat annoyed (not really but maybe a little :p) that couldn't be there at Road America, getting points from there could have got me pretty high in the standings in the end :oops: I don't know if it will be worth to run the non-championship round at Montreal at all. At least I'd very likely would miss that due to work and seeing how the participation have been going...

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
VEC-Simracing Rouge wasn't involved in championship battle so I don't really care, but I think it's unfair for others to register on the league, on the very last race day, on a car that was clearly a one-man team for all season long @Erti147. Just saying...

• Agree
Reactions: Stevie

The Genius

Alex Championship runner-up & 1-time GP2 Champion
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2014
I like to begin with a big thank you to those who turned up these last few rounds, despite the poor participation. It is unfortunate that the league turned out to what it did, knowing the number of sign ups we have on paper. With that, it does not come as a shock to most of you that the bonus non-championship round in two weeks is not going to go ahead.

It is clear that there is interest in doing an endurance league with many drivers, but due to the format, lack of teams showing up to each round or due to something else, there is no point in continuing into another season. This can of course change and I hope it does in the future so that we can do this again. You are all more than welcome to post below your thoughts regarding what you would have changed for a potential future season or if there is something else contructive coming to mind. Also please do post a comment about if you would sign up again in the future if the numbers would be better.

But enough of that...

Congrats to OCM Racing (@AOR Midg3t @Knor The Dragon) on winning the championship in the LMP1 class!

Also a big congrats to Team AOR Yellow (@FisiFan91 @Erti147) on winning the GTE championship!

And lastly, but not least, a big congrats to Porsche Endurance Racing (@Merlin Cooper @poisike78 @Nagrom) on winning the GTE AM championship!

There has been some interesting racing in this league despite everything above, so I hope you choose to take that with you and when and if a future season will turn up that you choose to sign up again!

And lastly, thank you all that decided to turn up anyway! You're good people.

Gibson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2018
Good evening
Thank you for organizing this championship. I feel sad to read that there will be no other season for the moment. And if not happiness you decide to organize another season, I will be there to participate again with great pleasure.
Thanks a lot

Tex Wheeler

Formula 4 1st Driver
Feb 13, 2018
Feedback time then (y)

I really liked the format that it is possible to drive alone, but forming a team was an option and it was possible to change the drivers little between rounds to give some flexibility. Competition was nice for me, didn't have much problems with LMP traffic either. Overall enjoyable experience.

Sadly the participation dropped dramatically during the season, many of them was unannounced absences what I saw (if they were informed behind the scenes, then fair ennough). It is somewhat disrespectful to other drivers and the organizers IMO. Harsher penalties for multiple unannounced absences and complete withdrawals probably can't do much, but worth trying I guess. Maybe hand out quali bans or something for drivers in GTE league if they have been too naughty :devilish:.

I'd like to see this continue in the future. My work means that I will be at home only every other weekend, and if iELMS schedule will be on work weeks, then I'll be pretty out of luck with endurance racing other than a few special events and VRS GT3 (GTE>GT3; not optimal solution). The league in iELMS break weeks could solve that problem, and it'd also allow me to skip some vacation week races if team-mate would take care of those. Unfortunately, with this sort of participation, it is not really possible to keep this league running :(

Anyways thanks for organizers and fellow competitors, had fun and hopefully you too :D The series itself was good (y)

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
Good evening,

Personally I believe there will always be fans of endurance racing! It’s often the case in aor leagues the participation fades off towards the end. I think it’s down to the format (team racing) as well because 2-3 driver teams need to motivate more drivers than just a solo team.
Even running solo it was fairly interesting and the gaps in the last race were still somewhat close after 3h of racing!

I would sign up for another season anytime, with 3weeks to 1month between each race. Maybe increasing slightly time between races will let people prepare, I don’t know.
LMP1 participation is a problem too.