AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 11 (Races 21/22) - Virginia International Raceway | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 11 (Races 21/22) - Virginia International Raceway

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
It's a real shame because the Ferrari is by far the most fun car to drive in iRacing. The Formula Renault league got a pretty good boost in interest from the broadcasting, so maybe the week 13 event, if it's still getting shown on GSRC, will help with numbers for next season.

Official races are fun but I can see myself losing interest real fast without some sort of league to be participating in.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
It's a real shame because the Ferrari is by far the most fun car to drive in iRacing. The Formula Renault league got a pretty good boost in interest from the broadcasting, so maybe the week 13 event, if it's still getting shown on GSRC, will help with numbers for next season.
That will also require a lot more interest than is currently shown. I need to make a decision on the broadcasting by the end of this month, so exactly a week today. If we don't get at least 20/25 committed drivers then I'm not forking out for it.

If people want that broadcast then they need to say it and say they're going to do it rather than wait until the day and say "yeah I'll do it."

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016

Official races are fun but I can see myself losing interest real fast without some sort of league to be participating in.
I've got a little bit of an outside opinion to offer and feel free to disagree. I'm new to iracing, can only speak of my first weeks and have yet to race with you!

Iracing differs from the other sims/games in one fundamental way when it comes to organized racing.
Iracing itself has an active community with good forums and tons of engagement and leagues. The challenge is to get people from that healthy community over here, where only a small (quite inactive) part is about iracing, the rest of no interest for the Iracers. Hence lowered participation and engagement throughout the season is almost to be expected, also with the countless good alternatives out on iRacing's own forums.

With all other sims/games you have quite low standard public stuff and places like AOR are the best places to talk, organize and race. The draw and "stickiness" of the community is a lot larger.

From my point of view, the way forward for AOR iracing is one of two (or both):

1. Create more value for high quality iracers: somehow attract the top drivers into an exclusive series and ensure quality of racing and visibility (streaming, commentary) is top notch. That will in turn draw others.

2. Rather than getting iracers here, get the guys and gals on other sims/games to sign up to iracing and run it alongside pcars, ac, f1 etc.
Considering the high financial hurdle that iracing presents, this should be aimed at minimizing needed content purchases.
If that is successful, a higher tier can be introduced With more paid content.
Rinse, repeat - build an iracing community as part of AOR, people that are already at home here :)

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
1. Create more value for high quality iracers: somehow attract the top drivers into an exclusive series and ensure quality of racing and visibility (streaming, commentary) is top notch. That will in turn draw others.
We literally have SimRC. :p

As for the best commentary and best streaming etc, other than our very lovable King Kodiak, to get the absolute best, you're going to have to get a group of professional broadcasters in. Who usually charge. Now, I'm already co-paying for the sessions, and I paid the majority of the money to get KK into iRacing. I'm not willing to pay for a full season of GSRC or something else like it. That can be upward of £400/£500.

The only way to achieve that is hope the drivers donate to it as in Formula Renault. This then lessens the cost of one single person to pay out, and the drivers are invested in the commentary because they partially funded it. This helps retain drivers and drivers usually are vain and egotistical and enjoy going back to watch their overtakes/moves on the broadcast.

However, it's highly unlikely at current numbers that everybody here will compete for a second season, and secondly it's unlikely they'll all chip in for a broadcasting. Continuing this, the idea behind community funded broadcasting relies solely on the idea of the community. This series doesn't currently have a group of dedicated, hardcore people who want to see this go and take off. I'm sure there are a few who will. I certainly do, and I take there are a few others do want this go into Seasons onward. Until we get to that point, where we have 20/25 at least, committed, dedicated drivers who turn up the majority of weeks and sign up every season, community broadcasting isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

2. Rather than getting iracers here, get the guys and gals on other sims/games to sign up to iracing and run it alongside pcars, ac, f1 etc.
Considering the high financial hurdle that iracing presents, this should be aimed at minimizing needed content purchases.
Rinse, repeat - build an iracing community as part of AOR, people that are already at home here :)
Interesting, but I don't think will work. Those who want to get into iRacing, do so on their own volition. You come into iRacing knowing it's expensive. I think if we ran a season solely on free-tracks, and not following the official calendar. I think you'd put more people off. Whilst a couple of the free tracks are alright, the majority are pants, and people already have paid content would not be interested in running the less good, free tracks just for the sake of new people. I've spent a lot of money on iRacing. I'm excited by next seasons calendar, I want to drive tracks like CoTA, Snetterton, Brazil etc. Not crappy little things like Jefferson Summit Point circuit or something.

Even if we ran a season of it, the season after would have to go back to paid content, which will either see a lot of people drop out or face a massive bill to keep up with the series. Unfortunately, if you don't have the disposable income for it, it's unlikely to draw people in for the long-term.

Interesting ideas, but I'm unsure.

Reactions: Dustin and Stephan

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
Rinse, repeat - build an iracing community as part of AOR, people that are already at home here
Content is certainly part of the problem, especially given only 1/12 of the tracks for IMSA is included in a base subscription, but that considered, not a single track on the FR calendar this season is base content and participation is still regularly in the mid 20's each race.

A custom championship setup so that we race at mostly base tracks could perhaps create a bit more interest but unless we have some other incentive for people to stay the Ferrari wont really get off the ground like the Renault did.

If we don't continue with a second season, I think something a bit smaller like a series where we only race at the endurance events throughout the season would garner some interest. At least that way there are only a few tracks to buy over the course of 12 weeks and setting up teams to enter in big events like that will be half the fun. Plus those kinds of races are normally broadcast anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Stephan

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for your insights! Many things I wasn't aware of!

Did you run an official donation campaign through the donation section for commentary? If not, next season (however that may look)? I'd donate, weather I'm part of the league or not :)
[DOUBLEPOST=1503609437][/DOUBLEPOST]
Content is certainly part of the problem, especially given only 1/12 of the tracks for IMSA is included in a base subscription, but that considered, not a single track on the FR calendar this season is base content and participation is still regularly in the mid 20's each race.

A custom championship setup so that we race at mostly base tracks could perhaps create a bit more interest but unless we have some other incentive for people to stay the Ferrari wont really get off the ground like the Renault did.

If we don't continue with a second season, I think something a bit smaller like a series where we only race at the endurance events throughout the season would garner some interest. At least that way there are only a few tracks to buy over the course of 12 weeks and setting up teams to enter in big events like that will be half the fun. Plus those kinds of races are normally broadcast anyway.
You had me at "endurance"

• Friendly
Reactions: Stevie

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
Also, not to mention that if we're running teams in big endurance events that are broadcast by professionals (and half the drivers) where we have AOR plastered all over the cars, it would probably send a few people this way.

Well, like 2 people. But still, I'd be up for some Le Mans.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
I had brief discussion with Phil about it and he highlighted it here.

The Pro Mazda had already been out for a few seasons (iRacing ones) when AOR started doing leagues in it. This momentum carried on into the FR, which had also already been out for a short while before the leagues got going in that.

We've hit the ground running with a league for a new car almost immediately. People generally sign up because they're excited by it but have only driven it a handful of times.

I'll not name them, but one person signed up before they even bought the car.

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks all, didn't see the broadcasting collection.

Good insights, as said I'm new to this stuff :)

Reactions: Stevie

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
If you want technicalities, I did too.